Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh no, Hoppy! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

J33uk posted:

Tonight is the first episode of the season I've watched and the last recent seasons episode I saw was probably back in May. She sounds really really harsh now, it's really distracting. It feels like a really awful thing to say about a performer because it's not like there's anything they can do but man.

I don't think the voices sounding older even reaches the top 10 biggest problems with this show

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lovitz cameo!

I mean the episode is still two random plotlines smashed together but hey, nice voice cameo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I laughed at the eye bleach gag.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Likker Enthusiast

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Where was Patty's (or is she Selma's) daughter?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Inkspot posted:

Where was Patty's (or is she Selma's) daughter?

She was at Mother Bouvier's birthday party. After that, who knows?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
For a second there I had a theory going that this episode was written in the limbo-period where they thought Harry Shearer wasn't coming back to the show since the A-Plot basically only featured main family characters/actors and the B-Plot required no voice actors except Hank Azaria to do Cletus/Duffman, but then I remembered Mr Burns was in the beginning. :iiam:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I really liked this episode, it's no coincidence that Maggie is the best Simpson.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What was that song that played when the animals where marching to war? It sounds so familiar, but I can't place it.

EDIT: Found it. It was "Johny I hardly knew ye". I love that song, but it's hard to to recognize without the lyrics. That was driving me insane.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 12, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Maggie plot worked. I kind of like the more Fantasia-inspired bits on the show with minimal dialogue.

The Patty and Selma plot wasn't terrible... it just exists. It just seems like there was no real "so what" to it. It just went for the pointless ending and asks us to not think about it too much. So where does Mrs. Bouvier live now? The plot moved on before it can answer that. So Ling just continues growing up in a household with two smokers? Don't think about it. I wouldn't have mind had the show found a way to make Patty and Selma quit smoking altogether; it wouldn't have betrayed their characterizations too much IMO. Or they could double down on their smoking addiction and go for the "they're assholes but our assholes" ending, but I felt like they didn't pursue that decisively enough. This ending isn't quite the same cop out as the season premiere, I just wanted something.

Yo-Yo Ma gags worked. Liked his cover of the theme.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

What was that song that played when the animals where marching to war? It sounds so familiar, but I can't place it.

EDIT: Found it. It was "Johny I hardly knew ye". I love that song, but it's hard to to recognize without the lyrics. That was driving me insane.

I think it was supposed to be "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," to fit with the military scene. Same tune, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the Maggie stuff was a lot of fun, but the Patty and Selma stuff was just there. It did have some pretty good jokes, like Homer's fantasy about them being fatter and him being even fatter, and the bleach jokes. I also liked Bart going "thank you thank you thank you".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Selachian posted:

I think it was supposed to be "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," to fit with the military scene. Same tune, though.

Is there a difference in making a cover of a cover and a cover of the original?

That spiked my interest, so I looked at the wikipedia pages for those songs. "Hardly" was older than "Marching". This made a lot of people believe that the Irish composer who made "Marching" rewrote "Hardly" in order to make it more pro war. But a recent study showed that this is actually incorrect. "Hardly" was originally a different tune, but this other was just a way better match.

Music history is weird.

Also apparently the Simpsons already used that song in season 18.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm kinda surprised that some of you liked the bleach gag. That was exactly the kind of cruel, exaggerated Homer gag that people absolutely HATED when they started to become more common around, uh, season 13 or 14 or so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Air is lava! posted:

Also apparently the Simpsons already used that song in season 18.

It's used a million times in Loony Tunes, or any other cartoon that has some kind of military segment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twistedmentat posted:

It's used a million times in Loony Tunes, or any other cartoon that has some kind of military segment.

Also any series with ants.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Halloween of Horror

Lisa is frightened at Krustyland Halloween Horror Night, so Homer removes his Everscream Terrors decorations, which leads the now-jobless pop-up employees to seek vengeance on him by robbing the house and forcing him and Lisa to seek refuge in the attic.

I don't think they've done two Halloween-themed shows in one season before.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

I'm kinda surprised that some of you liked the bleach gag. That was exactly the kind of cruel, exaggerated Homer gag that people absolutely HATED when they started to become more common around, uh, season 13 or 14 or so.

Yeah, that was total garbage for this exact reason. Also because it's lazy and has a layer of subtle misogyny under it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought it was funny too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Restaurant Meat Clown.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Freaky Nursery Rhyme...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I appreciate this episode.

I'm not sure how I feel about it beyond that. They went for the sentimental angle, which I don't mind. Even though the episode's premise is kind of unique, I kind of felt like they double downed on all the stuff that works in typical good Homer/Lisa episodes. In a way, it still feels safe and calculating.

It's not a bad episode at all. But I can't say it's a great episode. I'll definitely take this over all the episodes that misfire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Any episode that has Chalmers dressed as Sean Connery from Zardoz is good to me. I also liked the Rocky Horror adult Halloween song. Actually all the costumes in the show were really good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I thought it was a pretty solid episode - it's still new Simpsons but the Homer/Lisa dynamic was nice and it wasn't an episode that had to change anything, it was just kind of a slice of life. Scared little girl and her dad loves her. Lisa was an 8 year old instead of a jaded college student.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wanted to like this episode more than I ended up.

I definitely prefer Lisa when the writers remember she's supposed to be a little kid and not a self-insert character. It just that it seems like I've seen this episode before. Specifically "The Girl Who Slept Too Little". And there's probably a few other successful late-era Simpsons that used kid Lisa to great effect that I'm not recalling right now. Anyway, they combined that with the show's best character relationship (Homer and Lisa) when it's time for the show to have a nice sentimental episode. And it hit all the expected beats and had just enough gags to work for a safe episode.

Not to complain too much about it. This episode's better than most. I wish every episode had the good intentions this one had, and ended up being at least this decent. And I liked the "You don't know how sorry I feel right now" joke.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Why are blue jeans blue? Who invented haircuts? It's all just stuff I'm saying."

Is that 2 for 2 on good Matt Selman episodes this season?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That episode was great. Respected the characters, really funny, and it had a lot of imaginative staging of the sort that can sometimes feel absent in modern Simpsons - Marge and Homer casting shadows as they climb the stairs, the time passing transition they use for Lisa in the locker, the weird tilted shot of the blonde scumbag laughing, it all adds visual interest and heightens the mood. Way too often the modern show looks visually sterile and doesn't seem to care much about setting mood for a scene.

I feel like it's worth having the show around the rest of the time if it still can produce one or two episodes a season like this. Really good!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to go back and look at the background jokes in Apu's Halloween Popup. I remember "Kosher Vampire Fangs".

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Can't stand modern Simpsons, but this was a fantastic episode! It really felt like one of the older ones.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like it felt lame for the doll she clings to to be a prop that has never been mentioned ever before in 27 years instead of like her happy little elf doll that actually is shown to actually be a thing she cares about (but also hasn't been mentioned in like the last decade so the writers wouldn't be too cruel destroying it as an object)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like it felt lame for the doll she clings to to be a prop that has never been mentioned ever before in 27 years instead of like her happy little elf doll that actually is shown to actually be a thing she cares about (but also hasn't been mentioned in like the last decade so the writers wouldn't be too cruel destroying it as an object)

There is no continuity to the show. That is your first mistake.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Treehouse of Horror XXVI

"Wanted: Dead, Then Alive" - Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him.

"Homerzilla" - Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss.

"Telepaths of Glory" - Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shouldn't that be called Homermento?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

greatn posted:

Shouldn't that be called Homermento?

Probably, but that's the title that came up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I saw Homerzilla and figured it was going to be about Homer turning into a giant monster and fighting someone else in Springfield, kaiju style.

Now i'm sad.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I saw Homerzilla and figured it was going to be about Homer turning into a giant monster and fighting someone else in Springfield, kaiju style.

Now i'm sad.

Call back to SNES's Bart in Dreamland.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Now i'm sad.

The commercial I saw for it showed a Godzilla style Homer, so I think the description is wrong, not the title.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BJPaskoff posted:

The commercial I saw for it showed a Godzilla style Homer, so I think the description is wrong, not the title.

It's weird that every synopsis I've found shows the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
And now for the weird rear end John K opening.

• Locked thread