Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

nah commercial displays are smart now too, easier to not run multiple product lines

plus you're paying 2-3x for the exact same panel

we just gave up and bought a 40" l-series sarnsung during best buy's "buy our christmas overstock so we can bring in better models of the same poo poo" sale

it suits the needs and it doesn't weigh 75 pounds, and it also runs netflix so :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maniacdevnull posted:

Would that have a remote or even multiple inputs?

you don't want either

you want it to turn on and off via HDMI control, and to just take whatever your receiver gives it

your receiver should have the inputs, not your monitor

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just push video to your tv over hdmi from your computer with Dataton's WatchOut!

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

why the hell would anyone pay extra for a commercial display just to not have "smart" features. you do realize you can just not use those features, right?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Visual GNUdio posted:

why the hell would anyone pay extra for a commercial display just to not have "smart" features. you do realize you can just not use those features, right?

Startup time, interface responsiveness, etc. "Smart" features are a pox on devices that are doing just fine being "dumb."

Granted, I'm not buying commercial displays (which are starting to get "smart" management features anyway) either.

There's always at least one company taking high quality panels & fitting them in very basic enclosures with minimal feature sets. That's my poo poo.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

error1 posted:

The new philips Hue bridge works pretty reliably with homekit and Siri though, "hey siri, dim the livingroom to 20" is pretty convenient and actually makes all those dimmable lights usable.

If I have the old one is it better to just buy a whole new kit with 3 new bulbs? They were going to offer tradeins but I don't think I ever saw the deal or I just missed teh boat.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

Startup time, interface responsiveness, etc. "Smart" features are a pox on devices that are doing just fine being "dumb."

before you grab your baby's milk to stop that infernal squawling, first let's spend a few minutes telling you about the new samsung fridge profile system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

nah commercial displays are smart now too, easier to not run multiple product lines

plus you're paying 2-3x for the exact same panel

not with Barco

but for studio monitors you'll be paying more like 10× and getting a very good and perfectly calibrated panel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

I honestly don't trust a "smart" tv to not try to hop on any open or crackable wifi and use video fingerprinting to report my viewing habits

not just blowing smoke here either, Visio has been caught reporting fingerprinted data based on screen contents and wifi security is notoriously bad and advertisers (and some vendors) are notoriously sleazy

there are brands of poo poo to which I will not project slides because I don't trust them not to try to heuristically capture and report it as part of broad efforts at industrial espionage

:tinfoil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy poo poo dragos ruiu posts here!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hed posted:

If I have the old one is it better to just buy a whole new kit with 3 new bulbs? They were going to offer tradeins but I don't think I ever saw the deal or I just missed teh boat.

You might as well as long as you want more bulbs, just make sure it says homekit compatible on the box.
The starter pack that includes the new hub and three bulbs costs exactly the same as buying three addon bulbs. They have a pretty good wizard in the app that helps you transport all the settings from the old hub to the new one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hook up door and window sensors to an arduino or raspberry pi or something

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

I honestly don't trust a "smart" tv to not try to hop on any open or crackable wifi and use video fingerprinting to report my viewing habits

not just blowing smoke here either, Visio has been caught reporting fingerprinted data based on screen contents and wifi security is notoriously bad and advertisers (and some vendors) are notoriously sleazy

there are brands of poo poo to which I will not project slides because I don't trust them not to try to heuristically capture and report it as part of broad efforts at industrial espionage

:tinfoil:

i have one of those vizio TVs that does dumb poo poo, so i just didn't plug it into my network. seems like an easy problem to solve.

edit: found a good place for you.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 10, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

i have one of those vizio TVs that does dumb poo poo, so i just didn't plug it into my network. seems like an easy problem to solve.

edit: found a good place for you.

does it have wifi though? are you sure it's not hopping on some nearby wifi network without your knowledge or permission?

I would expect a manufacturer unafraid of industrial espionage (say because they're afforded significant protection by a national government) to build hardware that does things like hop on any and all possible networks and attempt to contact a C&C server to see if there's additional poo poo it should do

and to have an "accumulate as much as possible to send back" mode for certain high value targets too, and include some form of "signature matching" to cause some targets to trigger

this is beyond just possibly having malware installed by a third party, the first party could itself be a bad actor in ways you might not otherwise notice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that level of paranoia is pretty useless, tbh. you can dream up any number of contrived scenarios where hardware you haven't designed and built every component of personally can be subverted. but so what? practically speaking your only defense is to stop using any form of modern electronic technology. or, more reasonably, just assume that unless you're part of a high-value target (in which case you're hosed anyway), simply "not connecting it directly to the network" makes it impractical for a device to be used for data collection

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

does it have wifi though? are you sure it's not hopping on some nearby wifi network without your knowledge or permission?

I would expect a manufacturer unafraid of industrial espionage (say because they're afforded significant protection by a national government) to build hardware that does things like hop on any and all possible networks and attempt to contact a C&C server to see if there's additional poo poo it should do

and to have an "accumulate as much as possible to send back" mode for certain high value targets too, and include some form of "signature matching" to cause some targets to trigger

this is beyond just possibly having malware installed by a third party, the first party could itself be a bad actor in ways you might not otherwise notice

Yeah I should probably wrap tinfoil around my TV so nobody knows exactly when I'm watching pirated movies on Plex. Are you sure you don't post on /r/badbios?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

eschaton posted:

:wow:

I mean after that cum fart guy its been a race for second place but this is a strong entry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

they have trouble making a television that works as a television but taiwanese skynet is well within their means

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

i have yet to try a smart-tv that isn't horribly slow and laggy. on the last samsung tv i used, even when doing something as simple as adjusting the volume, it takes a second for the level meter to appear and then it moves in jerky increments. the actual smart features are even worse, especially when something needs text entry. pushing a button and waiting an eternity for the cursor to move is not a good ui experience.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stop buying poverty tier tvs then. don't get me wrong, smart tvs are bullshit regardless, but these days only the bargain basement best buy specials lag like that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

stop buying poverty tier tvs then. don't get me wrong, smart tvs are bullshit regardless, but these days only the bargain basement best buy specials lag like that.

this was a top-end samsung which allegedly had a quad-core processor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what model?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i think it was a j6300

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I've got a 7150 which was pretty top of the line last year, the apps are mostly laggy as gently caress (or get laggy after using them for more than a few minutes) but the TV functions like changing inputs or volume seem pretty snappy. It does occasionally do dumb stuff like turn on the screen saver for no reason but it's pretty rare.

It'd be cool if the netflix/plex apps worked for more than like 20 minutes before becoming unresponsive and crashing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

seems all you'd have to do is update your tizen applicahahahahahahahahah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

seems all you'd have to do is update your tizen applicahahahahahahahahah

tbf i helped some older relatives setup an lg smart tv last year and while it was better overall, the apps were still slow and text input was laggy and took 10x longer than it should have

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's almost like smart tvs are bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The_Franz posted:

i think it was a j6300

actually, i'm probably full of poo poo, i have a 7250 that i use as an hdmi monitor only. i have never launched any of the smart features and all the post processing wankery is shut off. it turns on in a second, i've never attempted to do anything else with it.

i've had two previous "smart" models, in the 6xxx and 7xxx series. basic ui lag was never an issue, but the smart apps are java running on linux, of course they suck

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Finally a smart home idea I can get behind

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

yeah, the smart house is cool, because it's winter and the thermostat joined a botnet!!!!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

url posted:

the only way a smart home is cool, is if the AC isn't IoT.

https://thestack.com/iot/2016/01/14/nest-thermostat-bug-leaves-owners-without-heating/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see, the nice thing about a mercury switch on a coil spring is they don't usually get nerfed by software updates

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we had a couple of vendors over quoting a new hvac for our house, they all asked if I wanted an internet-capable thermostat.

"Let me put it to you as politely as possible: gently caress. No."

"You work in IT, don't you?"

My dad is all over the IoT bullshit; internet connected garage door opener, cameras, security system, lighting, who knows whatever else the gently caress. Thank god he doesn't call me for help because i'd tell him no.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

see, the nice thing about a mercury switch on a coil spring is they don't usually get nerfed by software updates
a baby sleeps in a crib

voiceover: "Your children are the most precious part of your life. You should keep them safe."

a woman in a large breathing mask pulls a thermostat from the 1930s off the wall of a nursery

"Your old thermostats contain mercury, which is a dangerous metal that causes serious birth and growth defects. Your family deserves only the safest, modern technology."

a smiling nerd with an oversized tool belt sticks a nest on the wall

"Keep your family Google safe this winter. Use a modern, smart thermostat..."

a man in an office presses a button, sees his kid's room is 76°F and smiles entirely too broadly

"...that lets you check on your family's comfort everywhere you go"

family holding a child in front of a garish blue led thermostat monster. silently in the background, their fridge complains to nobody that, unfortunately, the crisper has stopped

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll be frank, if your baby is eating the mercury in your thermostats, you've got bigger problems

flakeloaf posted:

family holding a child in front of a garish blue led thermostat monster. silently in the background, their fridge complains to nobody that, unfortunately, the crisper has stopped

the entire family was hospitalized due to ecoli from the contaminated lettuce

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I have a Vizio smart TV with slow crappy apps and my solution is to not use the smart parts or the apps or the network connection. Everything comes in on HDMI1 and the rest of the environment is controlled by treating the TV as a dumb device with no requirements other than discrete IR on/off codes. Everything works fine, I didn't have to pay extra for the "smart" part and I don't have to buy some weirdo commercial display option for twice the price just to get rid of the apps. Don't want them? Don't use them. Problem solved.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Visual GNUdio posted:

I have a Vizio smart TV with slow crappy apps and my solution is to not use the smart parts or the apps or the network connection. Everything comes in on HDMI1 and the rest of the environment is controlled by treating the TV as a dumb device with no requirements other than discrete IR on/off codes. Everything works fine, I didn't have to pay extra for the "smart" part and I don't have to buy some weirdo commercial display option for twice the price just to get rid of the apps. Don't want them? Don't use them. Problem solved.

I think some of this is because Vizio has fairly tolerable smart tv's that let you do this. Mine won't even boot the smart software until you try to use it. I've used some others that worse, especially Samsung, that try to keep you in a cocoon of menus as much as possible

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Do those menus pop up when you turn the TV on? If not, then fine. Control the TV externally, ignore everything on the TV itself, and viola you have a dumb monitor.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
smart tvs are mega poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/these-smart-lightbulbs-play-music-boost-your-185717626.html

David Pogue might be the most insufferable twat in the universe. Who better then to share with us all the glorious future of dumb loving poo poo tarted up as smart bulbs.

• Locked thread