Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

echinopsis posted:

what does tat thing do though... i have new big house and am wondering how difficult a system for determining if all doors are shut is? or even outdoor lighting

can we talk abuot best places to get cheap outdoor LED lighting? whats the best power scheme to adopt for maximum compatibility? 12v?????
????
?
/
/
/

I recommend outdoor cfls if you want to save energy and have lights that don't loving ever work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Visual GNUdio posted:

If I could paraphrase that giant wall of text it would be this:

lol nope

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smart tv is nice, no separate box for 4k netflix or casting from phone or something

Lol at just about any other smart device

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

error1 posted:

I wanted to demonstrate my cool nerdy home to a coworker today and shouted "hey siri, turn on the coffee machine!" into my apple watch, unfortunately siri only heard "turn on"

...which resulted in siri turning on loving EVERYTHING, including opening my garage door remotely

:downs:

Smart home, dumb user!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Would that have a remote or even multiple inputs?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

vats is for contard scrubs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

error1 posted:

Last month I bought a zwave lock for my front door, the only problem is that openHAB doesn't support the zwave security classes to make it work.
Thankfully, the internet has a workaround! http://wetwa.re/?p=136
Now, when I tell siri "hey siri, unlock the front door" the workflow is:

apple watch -> iphone -> homebridge -> openhab -> mosquitto -> mqttwarn -> z-way-server -> door lock

What kind of philistine would turn on a light bulb at the wall switch when you could have this bulletproof, flexible and easily configurable system instead?

Literal backdoor exploit incoming

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

eschaton posted:

does it have wifi though? are you sure it's not hopping on some nearby wifi network without your knowledge or permission?

I would expect a manufacturer unafraid of industrial espionage (say because they're afforded significant protection by a national government) to build hardware that does things like hop on any and all possible networks and attempt to contact a C&C server to see if there's additional poo poo it should do

and to have an "accumulate as much as possible to send back" mode for certain high value targets too, and include some form of "signature matching" to cause some targets to trigger

this is beyond just possibly having malware installed by a third party, the first party could itself be a bad actor in ways you might not otherwise notice

:wow:

I mean after that cum fart guy its been a race for second place but this is a strong entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sniep posted:

i got one of those IoT doorbells today and it seems p good

Finally, i can tell if someone rings my doorbell when I'm not home.

• Locked thread