Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I believe that was the afformentioned Eye, which was originally a straight up Beholder completely. It's odd that there was only one monster they redrew, considering how many drat monsters are just as flagrant as that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wounded Land posted:

My favorite part of the NP guide was when I got the AD&D 2nd Edition Player's Handbook years later and was like "oh, now I get what they were going for with the art."
And the biggest regional difference in this game is that one particular enemy got redrawn so Square wouldn't get sued by TSR.

"Why do golems cast FAST and SLOW spells? How come Kary resists ice?"

*opens D&D monstrous manual*

:aaa:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Choco1980 posted:

The "hall of giants" is a pointless corridor on the left hand side early into the earth cave where the encounter rate is jacked up to nearly 100% and every fight is with Giants. It's a decent grinding spot at that point in the game outside of the peninsula of power if that's your thing.

The entire point of it is for grinding, especially if you're dumb and want to buy steel armor without needing to spend more than an hour or two farming it. Just be glad it's not the rear end in a top hat rooms all over the place in FF2. It's definitely not an untended thing like the Peninsula or the grind spot east of the first village (not town/castle) in DQ3.

Never buy the Steel Armor though. The defense boost isn't worth the cost and you could just take that money and go outfit your entire party in silver gear instead, with change left over for level 5-6 spells.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gabriel Pope posted:

FF1 is the best console D&D game ever made.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Gabriel Pope posted:

I actually didn't know until you mentioned it that D&D stone golems can cast slow. I wonder where that comes from.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you think about it, it may not be that the golems can actually use magic, but can instead break up the ground and make it hard to get proper footing, hence making the characters act slower than they normally would. Then again, I have zero experience with D&D stuff, so it's possible I could be (and probably am) very wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you think about it, it may not be that the golems can actually use magic, but can instead break up the ground and make it hard to get proper footing, hence making the characters act slower than they normally would. Then again, I have zero experience with D&D stuff, so it's possible I could be (and probably am) very wrong.

The inevitable wiki says nope, they can just cast a Slow spell. No word on why FF1 golems can haste themselves though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The inevitable wiki says nope, they can just cast a Slow spell. No word on why FF1 golems can haste themselves though.

Clay Golems can haste themselves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurai posted:

Clay Golems can haste themselves.

Iron Golems are auto-hasted as well IIRC.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Evil Fluffy posted:

Iron Golems are auto-hasted as well IIRC.

Oh god no it would take too much memory to have enemies have innate effects. They just have a high 76 accuracy.

And can use a poison ability.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh god no it would take too much memory to have enemies have innate effects. They just have a high 76 accuracy.

Besides, FF1 doesn't have turn frequency and Haste only influences number of hits.

And there are innate effects, that being Regen-type enemies. Sort of. It's secretly built into enemy type, even though Regen is the only type that's supposed to have an effect. However, it doesn't work so they don't regenerate the 2HP/turn they're supposed to :eng101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Besides, FF1 doesn't have turn frequency and Haste only influences number of hits.

And there are innate effects, that being Regen-type enemies. Sort of. It's secretly built into enemy type, even though Regen is the only type that's supposed to have an effect. However, it doesn't work so they don't regenerate the 2HP/turn they're supposed to :eng101:

There's a reason why Nasir holds a lifetime achievement award for being a lovely game programmer and it goes back long before this game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

dis astranagant posted:

There's a reason why Nasir holds a lifetime achievement award for being a lovely game programmer and it goes back long before this game.

Nasir became a superstar programmer in the early 80s because he worked fast, not because he worked clean, as I understand it. I still think it's crazy that his work visa expired while making 2 and 3, so the rest of the crew got work visas for America to work with him back home.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

gently caress, there's an award for that? I better get one when I turn 50 :colbert:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

In D&D, they meant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress, there's an award for that? I better get one when I turn 50 :colbert:

An early 80s gaming rag gave him one somewhere around 83. Dude cranked out 7 games in 1981, mostly unlicensed arcade ports.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 13, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

Nasir became a superstar programmer in the early 80s because he worked fast, not because he worked clean, as I understand it. I still think it's crazy that his work visa expired while making 2 and 3, so the rest of the crew got work visas for America to work with him back home.

As I recall, there's a story about one of the NES Final Fantasies where there was a major error in the build the day it was supposed to be sent to have cartridges made, so they called up Nasir and he just started rattling off the necessary code fixes over the phone. Probably apocryphal, but that's the man's reputation.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 13, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I meant in D&D. :rolldice:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Evil Fluffy posted:

I meant in D&D. :rolldice:

It's hard to tell when the two are so similar. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, is this LP still going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, is this LP still going on?

I pestered him in subtext in the FF Megathread, but he either didn't notice or ignored me. :shrug:

• Locked thread