Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Something like that came up in a Shadowrun game I got dragged into in my senior year of college. I liked the role-playing aspects of the game and created an Elf Decker with a backstory, an interesting mix of useless skills, and randomness even gave him a few more interesting features that I was having fun with. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the group put all their points into combat-related stats and spent most of the time looking for fights, often to the detriment of the missions. Also, there was another Decker in the group who had better stats than mine as well as combat capability, although the player didn't seem to appreciate the finer points of role-play much and consistently made a fool of himself in various ways. (His efforts to pretend that he wasn't ACTUALLY acting on out-of-character knowledge never fooled anyone.) So I retired my character and switched to a Troll with top skills in all the weapons she could physically haul around and, to compensate, the minimum intelligence stat, which I role-played the hell out of. She also enjoyed nothing so much as fighting, partly because I felt that would fit in better with the group, but also because it led to some fun situations when the other characters/players would underestimate either her bloodlust or the shallowness of her intelligence. My favorite story of this character is from a mission where we were searching for an enemy hideout in a dense jungle. We knew we were being watched, and of course, the troll was itching for a fight, so she asked for permission to fire a few grenades into the trees. The leader granted this. The resulting retaliatory carpet bombing effectively killed everyone but for the grace of the GM, who was highly amused and gave everyone a one-time pass - except my character, who was so overly buff that she not only survived, but was still on her feet and fighting when the bad guys came to collect what was left of the corpses. There was another consequence to that owing to the little bit of role-play potential I'd put into the character, but I've always found the idea of a cleanup crew expecting to haul away, or more likely shovel up, a dead body instead finding a pissed-off troll shooting at them to be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread