Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Saudi Arabia's is one of a large number of lovely governments that don't deserve the United States' support but get it anyway.

yeah but it's worse because it's the ME and the undermining of liberal democracy has turned the entire region into a hellscape warzone. like africa is already a shithole, it doesn't matter if the US supports a lovely dictator there. this is literally the reason why the ME is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

I wonder what D&D's opinion on US support for Israel, the Middle East's sole liberal democracy, is.

okay, amend my post to 'liberal democracies not based on apartheid and ethnic cleansing'

the US isn't the only reason the ME is hosed up, but doing things like unconditionally supporting Israel and the Saudis is absolutely an aggravating factor

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

-Troika- posted:

The US is actually the world's largest oil producer so I dunno why this tired meme keeps getting posted like it's some kind of epic burn

the 70s oil embargo was one of the key formative moments for neocons, and securing America's interests abroad (AKA oil) through whatever sociopathic means necessary then became their reason for existing. it's absolutely the basis of our relationship with them

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let's get real for a second. What politician in Washington with an ounce of scruples or sense of governance do you think actually wants to be allies with Saudi Arabia? With an economy like ours that relies heavily on oil, and as a nation that props up everyone else at the moment, what are we supposed to do about Saudi Arabia being a backwards shithole? Complain about it? Sanction it? Invade it? I remember the last time the administration complained about the Saudi's government making GBS threads on their people: Nothing happened.

Venezuela has lots of oil too, but that did not result in neocon foriegn policy giving it top-level ally status. SA is a special case that really is at the center of everything that's wrong about American policy in the ME

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

What do you think we should do about Saudi Arabia then?

Uh, stop selling them weapons and doing their diplomacy for them? I have a better question, why don't you give a reason why we shouldn't do that?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 29, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

I get the odd feeling that the situation is more complex than "western puppetmasters rewarding lapdogs"

sure, there's also the zionist apartheid state being the darling of fundamentalist zealots in Middle America

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

It's a shame the Middle East never developed a true secular democracy due to the interference of Western imperialists :argh:

it didn't even get far enough to hope for that, the ME was finished when the arab states were chopped up by britain and france. it was doomed to anarchy after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Sorry, remind me what part of any Western nation's foreign policy made Saudi Arabia execute a kid in an exceptionally brutal fashion for being in favour of democracy.

the part where they're neocon stoogies and have been richly rewarded for their loyalty with diplomatic, economic and military protection

• Locked thread