Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

Some of the things under the umbrella of Agile make sense and if you take the religious parts out they are good ideas without the Agile kool-aid. The problem is to implement those ideas you basically need buy-in from everybody in the business and sometimes the customer.

Agile methodologies actually make a ton of sense if you get down to the core of what they're saying. Kanban, Six Sigma, Scrum, whatever are all about identifying where the company is loving up and fixing the problems. The issue is that most business people's actual job description is "blame failures on other people, take credit for successes" which goes completely against the core of these methodologies and they end up loving it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

I'm passingly familiar with SAFe. It seems insane to me but some of my colleagues are big fans. :shrug:

At the end of the day it's really just "coordinating multiple agile teams" as far as I know, though.

SAFe is actually pretty nice. That diagram's actually supposed to be an interactive piece where you click on something and it goes into more detail. This (http://www.scaledagileframework.com/budgets/) is what you get when you click on the pie chart. It talks about some of the pitfalls with project based budgeting and describes alternatives. It's not as specific as it looks like it might be, it's more about providing a complete architecture for the company rather than having the dev team on agile but everyone else around them is working differently.

I don't work at a company that follows it but I've heard of companies doing well with it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

That's not actually kanban. Kanban is about inventory management. If you had a supply of parts in a manufacturing plant, then there'd be a "parts" card in the manufacturing lane. When you run out, you move that card to supply (because it's out), supply moves a new bin (with a card) to manufacturing and sends the empty part bin (with the card) to the supplier lane. When the supplier gets the parts to storage then storage gets the card. The point is that you can have only two "parts" cards that stay in the system, reducing held inventory and still making it obvious when things are going slow.

The software design concept just takes the board and does some unrelated stuff with it.

• Locked thread