Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Oh god, I had first-hand experience with this recently.

Ithaqua posted:

I'm passingly familiar with SAFe. It seems insane to me but some of my colleagues are big fans. :shrug:

At the end of the day it's really just "coordinating multiple agile teams" as far as I know, though.

That's my understanding, though while I've seen it make individual teams work better together, it didn't solve the friction between teams, and it actually increased, since the teams were empowered to make their own organisation, sprint timings and technical decisions. The result was that it was even harder to deliver between the individual times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Suspicious Dish posted:

how long are standups supposed to go for? they go for like half an hour and we have maybe 10 devs on call?

Ours are conducted on IRC (since when we did it in person we got managers wandering in because they were curious as to how the project was going, then felt the need to participate leading to grumpy engineers stood up for half an hour) with people posting GTD-like notes, which then get aggregated onto a wiki (mostly from a management reaction that all meetings should have minutes of some form, but it's been useful for managers to see how long a problem has been a blocker, and for engineers when they need to refer back to lessons learned).

Since people are pasting pre-prepared notes that they are using for their own internal work tracking, when everything's fine on a small team it takes a minute, is anyone has a point to raise that takes more than a minute of discussion a separate discussion with those relevant is scheduled.

We tend to rotate the responsibility of host, unless it's a small team.

One of our engineers wrote it up a while back and one of our marketing people put it on the company blog.

We haven't mentioned that we've had a couple of times where the host got bored, he decided to run an RPG, by posing a question when checking-in attendance, and announcing the result of their actions during the call for "any other business".

• Locked thread