Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
My organisation has been 'doing' agile for a while. We're p deece at it (my team is, at least), and we only take the bits that work for us. We don't follow a methodology step by step.

Cut to this year when some management changed. Now we have a new head of delivery and an agile coach that is the single most useless person I have ever met.
The head of delivery has decided to hire Vanguard to bring their method in. They've formed a 'secret' team that you have to be inducted into, and I'm watching several co-workers slowly sipping down the Vanguard koolaid. I've even had the Vanguardians accuse me of 'not caring deeply enough about our customers', and that if I did, I should stop working on my current project and move my desk to a corner of the office, delivering customer-focused features. Capital 'A' Agile is the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

how long are standups supposed to go for? they go for like half an hour and we have maybe 10 devs on call?

I'm in a mixed team of developers and business analysts (who also QA), and there's 6 of us total. Our stand ups go for like 5 minutes, sometimes less.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'll usually just ask my teams to tell me their plan for the day. Any discussion outside of their plans for the day are relegated to huddling after (1:1 or whoever wants to participate basically). I try to keep the meeting to a minimum but there're times where the team itself really wants to keep discussing. We'll sometimes cheer if the team looks up for it but that's dependent on the team.

I've seen long 2 hour standups with teams next to mine and everyone looks horrified. They end up getting stools, stand around their white board, and begin discussing the product merits of their solution. This was a team populated by 2 devs, 2 BAs, a product manager, designer, and a senior director. This was all run by a lean coach from a large agile consulting company who are "thought leaders" and whose name follows closely with that type of leader.

It was the worst thing I have ever seen in terms of standups.

We have quite a number of these particular workers, and good goddamn are they the worst. I know meetings are important, but there is an upper limit on how many you can have in a day before your productivity suffers.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Hughlander posted:

I think we found the right cadence to stand up recently. We have a physical agile board and someone points at the cards. "What's up with this?" "Ok this one?" When we've gone through the in progress or in test cards it's "Anything else not card related?" "Ok we done"

Since frequently 2-3 people are on a card most people never even have to speak up.

This is more or less us, but we have tons of 4-6 member teams, so we generally only have 2 - 4 cards in play at any time.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Xibanya posted:

No, what I hate is sprint planning

We have a problem where our Agile coach gets us to estimate an entire project up front. I guess a whole week of estimation is better than every two weeks? (it's not)

• Locked thread