Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
As a comparison, despite the agile suggested recognition that pointless wastes of time are pointless, we continue to do standup for approximately 15 minutes each day where the only thing anyone pays any attention to is whether its their turn to spout some words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Virigoth posted:

This is my life but with derails often. I gave up trying to right the ship and just sinking with the rest of the crew.

Last week our 15 minute stand up turned into 2 people talking for 30 minutes. I know this from another team member because I disconnected after 5 minutes of derail.

We don't even get that, I guess I can best describe it in contrast to THE SCRUM PRESCRIBED STANDUP.

In theory, of course, the team is largely supposed to be self-organizing and "ok lets get stuff done!" So standup is a way to go "ok here's where stuff is at I'm making progress, could use a hand on, etc".

But what we end up having occur is more:
1. *Most* of the team just blathers words because it's the ritual: "Yesterday I don't remember what I did. Today I'm going to be responsive to anything that comes up from QA. No roadblocks." is pretty much status quo.
2. Our Product Owner sits on the meetings and will tend to, maybe one day a week, toss random thoughts at us at the end of standup.

It's the most pointless 15 minutes of my days, and probably incurs at least an hour of productivity loss for me on average(15 minutes for meeting, 15 minutes in either direction of 'don't get too involved with anything because standup soon' & 'ok that's over let's make some more tea and get settled in', and some additional time for follow-up meetings from standup, or just plain lose-my-concentration-gotta-get-back-into-it).

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

If no one pays any attention the problem might be that
-- some/most of the people aren't really doing anything of value to the greater team
-- the lead is letting people drone on too long
-- your team is too goddamn big and needs to be broken down.

I've seen all of them, but a well-run standup with 8-12 people is really really valuable and will fetter out issues (even if it's as simple as "hey you're working on the same thing as I am") that otherwise would have languished.

My last project's "stand-up" was literally 50 people on a conference call listening to the project manager and/or product owner say things. No one actually gave statuses. Don't think the PM understood what a "stand-up" is.

Project only got that big because of typical "man-month" planning though. Sure, let's double our team size via contract hires, and not only expect them to hit the ground running, but also to do so without draining months of the existing team's time training them. Oh, and once the project's money quickly ran out (surprise!) all of the time and effort spent training them went back out the door. Yay.

I hate noting it every time Agile enters the conversation, but there's a fundamentally greater problem at work: the majority of the team are either burnt out or mediocre. So the project runs less in an ideal "folks just dive in to get work done!" sense and more into "wait to be assigned something and then just keep using standup as a means to ensure folks know you are working on the thing you said you would work on and never ever step on people's toes."

Oddly enough, this may actually be ideal, given the situation. Every time two developers work side-by-side on something that requires some coordination/integration of efforts, we inevitably end up in a room, for an hour or two, debating the practical merits of writing code like it's 2001, or accepting that a web project with modern web technologies should probably be written in modern fashion.

Project Management: Ritualizing your attempts to solve personnel issues.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

My development team, sprint after sprint, continues to decide that *more* meetings is helpful. And every single one of them just devolves into bikeshedding and/or having to spend hours explaining the domain.

• Locked thread