Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I mean, whoever is facilitating the standup should be telling people to take it outside of the standup. THat's where poo poo breaks down during a standup and make it turn into the most useless meeting.

Our offshore teams used to have 1:1 standups that lasted for 2 hours. I tried talking/coaching the PM who was doing this but they said it was just their culture to be very personal with their devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I'll usually just ask my teams to tell me their plan for the day. Any discussion outside of their plans for the day are relegated to huddling after (1:1 or whoever wants to participate basically). I try to keep the meeting to a minimum but there're times where the team itself really wants to keep discussing. We'll sometimes cheer if the team looks up for it but that's dependent on the team.

I've seen long 2 hour standups with teams next to mine and everyone looks horrified. They end up getting stools, stand around their white board, and begin discussing the product merits of their solution. This was a team populated by 2 devs, 2 BAs, a product manager, designer, and a senior director. This was all run by a lean coach from a large agile consulting company who are "thought leaders" and whose name follows closely with that type of leader.

It was the worst thing I have ever seen in terms of standups.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

OWLS! posted:

If you hadn't said "teams" I would have thought you were my boss.

I'm wondering - is this a good thing or bad thing since I try to be a minimalist in terms of meetings?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

TheresaJayne posted:

The meetings we have we do this, but then the people needing to talk never do.

That's really up to the person running the meeting to make sure they do talk. If they don't, they hear about it the next day (or after lunch).

We generally try to have these followups right after the standup for the people who need them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
We've stopped doing whole project estimations because kicking off a project used to take 2-3 weeks. We've tried to nail it down to a completely dedicated one week treatment where no dev work is done or a 2-3 hour sprint where only relevant project work is estimated.

At this point though I'm more of the opinion that most stories more or less are the same size. If you find a large one after discussions, breaking that down is what takes the bulk of any planning meetings. Everything else is just wasteful.

• Locked thread