Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

What makes us afraid?

If an LPer wears a Fitbit while playing horror games, we will be able to gather enough data to ascertain what fear truly is by recording the player's heart rate during crucial "scare" scenarios.

I'm Doctor judge reinhold, joined once again by my two best case studies, Diaper Chris and Major Tom. We have decided to embark on an amazing technological journey, unseen in the Let's Play scientific community: Diaper Chris will play various horror games and while we keep track of his heart rate (and other vital elements as necessary) by means of the Fitbit. Steam games, Game Maker games, Playstation games, doesn't matter! All will be examined under the microscope of scientific rigor! Once the data has been gathered, we will be able to know, for sure, what makes mankind afraid.

P values? We want B values! BPM values, that is! Beats Per Minute that unabbreviates to, that is!

So join us, if not for the laughs, but for the betterment of mankind's understanding.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Not sure if I need this

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I didn't see it in the FAQ do you plan on playing any non-baby's-first-effort horror games. Dead Space, Outlast, games of that sort?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

This looks like something which should be used to spread the message of science and educate the masses. Not so much on grammar or writing for the games, though.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Watching Chris trying to play a videogame has my heartrate thru the roof already.

This is going be the a wild ride.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
A seasonally appropriate LP? now that's that poo poo I do like

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Good to see you guys back again so soon.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

dscruffy1 posted:

I didn't see it in the FAQ do you plan on playing any non-baby's-first-effort horror games. Dead Space, Outlast, games of that sort?

Surely you jest. Good games (that are also long enough to be threads unto themselves)? When we can have bad games instead?

They do say they'll be playing Playstation games at any rate but I suspect that's not the bar of quality you're hoping for.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dscruffy1 posted:

The Coffee Men don't play good games. They are, however, always pushing new boundaries.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would have experienced significant stress from that person not putting spaces after their commas.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Already off to a great start.

Year Walk may be worth a looksie if you're taking suggestions.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This could be interesting. I agree with dscruffy and hope you grab some of the newer flashy horror titles too. I have heard many many good things about SOMA.

Edit: Watched the first episode. Yeah this is gonna be a weird one.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 28, 2015

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Some of the biggest spikes in heart rate (if you can even call them that) seemed to coincide with loading screens

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

I think you have to play NG+ to find out whose bones they belong to.

lookin forward to more!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Would be nice to not have to skip the like first 3 minutes in the next video, thanks

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

HenryEx posted:

Would be nice to not have to skip the like first 3 minutes in the next video, thanks

this isn't about the game, bro. it's science.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I hope that that game didn't have a price tag.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

I hope that that game didn't have a price tag.

My Bones is $2 on Steam and they don't even tell you whose bones they are! I think it's some kind of scam.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Let him play Hooters Road Trip and see what happens to his BPM :eyepop:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Time to flush out the trolls!!

dscruffy1 posted:

Man, this as the first reply... oof. It's ok though, like the crack in the Liberty Bell, this blemish will only serve the test of time in beauty.

HenryEx posted:

You only need to skip the first minute in the next ones.

Tin Hat posted:

Let him play Hooters Road Trip and see what happens to his BPM :eyepop:

C'mon.

Ok, now that the trolls have gotten their just desserts:

Tsaedje posted:

Some of the biggest spikes in heart rate (if you can even call them that) seemed to coincide with loading screens

I think ol' Diaper got nervous trying to think of stuff to say during the loading screens. Noted, though, thank you.

Bellmaker posted:

Already off to a great start.

Year Walk may be worth a looksie if you're taking suggestions.

This is good, thank you. I'm open to all suggestions.

Sartorius posted:

My Bones is $2 on Steam and they don't even tell you whose bones they are! I think it's some kind of scam.

I think I got about 8 games for $16 (rebate card from new monitor) so strap in everyone!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sartorius posted:

Maybe the bone we were looking for was the friendship we found along the way...

...no, wait, that's stupid and I'm pretty sure we all still hate each other. Oh well, at least I tried.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

judge reinhold posted:

Yo where's Five Nights at Freddy's.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Yo where's Five Nights at Freddy's.

Judge already did a solo-playthrough of Five Nights at Freddy's, I can understand him not wanting to do it again

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

simonwolf posted:

Judge already did a solo-playthrough of Five Nights at Freddy's, I can understand him not wanting to do it again

This is what Diaper tells me too despite how many times I remind him that was non-canonical.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

judge reinhold posted:

Really because I think you should give Lucius II a gander

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm going to recommend GUILT. All I will tell you is it's a (free) art game because it's very deep and I wouldn't want to spoil it.

e: On second thought I will also reveal in addition it's a platformer that is on the harder side (a small part of which comes from being art too). Not Super Meat Boy hard though.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 29, 2015

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The bones belong to the guy from the old KFC commercials that thought he ate the bones from his new fingerlickin' KFC bonesless wings, available for a limited time only.

Also, remember when Nintendo had a heartrate monitor in development for the Wii (or maybe WiiU?)

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

For really scary games, you should substitute the Fitbit with a Shitbit to record how many times per minute you soil your pants in terror.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I would also like to suggest using the fitbit to see how good a night's sleep diaper can get while playing life is strange

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

bhlaab posted:

life is strange

It sure is!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The bones belong to the guy from the old KFC commercials that thought he ate the bones from his new fingerlickin' KFC bonesless wings, available for a limited time only.

Also, remember when Nintendo had a heartrate monitor in development for the Wii (or maybe WiiU?)

Can't talk about Nintendo, makes the folks on ask.fm very ornery.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

judge reinhold posted:

This is what Diaper tells me too despite how many times I remind him that was non-canonical.

This is going to cause a civil war over at the MDC wikia.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Here are some horror games.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm glad to see your returning to the scientific pursuits of your days as LP Anthropologists. Your lps have been too much about the games recently, so I'm looking forward to some pure intellectual viewing.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I must confess.

They were My bones.

Thank you for finding them. It shall make walking easier.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Judge, I liked this video. The whole time I was watching, however, I kept wondering one important question: What would Anthony say instead of Poochie? Just food for thought.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

"My bones" is what Judge Reinhold will say when he's accepting millions in grant money for this research.

bones is slang for dollars

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I hope you guys are ready for 998 more episodes of key collect-athons. That heart rate is gonna be through the roof!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
If you're taking non-AAA horror suggestions you should also try Among The Sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Glad to see the Coffsters back for another annual Spooktacular! I accidentally bought a Steam game called Kidnapped a while ago and it would be perfect for your experiment because I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke or not. It might be a good one to save for a stream sometime, it's what I like to call a "slow burn."

• Locked thread