Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Caphi posted:

I'm really tired of subplots where Gina is an rear end in a top hat and gets unilaterally vindicated for it and everyone else has to apologize for not having faith in her or considering her feelings or something.

Gina's the reason the precinct even functions properly. Her mere presence stops the crazier bureaucratic stuff from occurring because she is terrifying to the Secretary Underground. It just looks like she's not working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

I'm really tired of subplots where Gina is an rear end in a top hat and gets unilaterally vindicated for it and everyone else has to apologize for not having faith in her or considering her feelings or something.

This show really doesn't surprise with its plotting. Plots are always

"Takes on an unsolvable case, but solve it!" or "Person whom they are helping (or his helping them) turns out to be the bad guy" or "someone thinks X which is ridiculous but it turns out X is actually true!"

I don't remember any other particular gina episodes but that is definitely a thing in this show.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Caphi posted:

Gina is a funny obnoxious narcissist. That's her character. If she'd actually hosed up, they probably would have done a funny obnoxious insincere contrition/learning moment scene. This would not have necessarily have been better than the scene we got, because the character as acted is the character we can expect to get in the future anyway. A character like Gina is covered under Seinfeld's principle of "no hugging, no learning."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno. I like the show a lot but characters like Gina infuriate me. She obviously does terrible things all the time and is always magically vindicated. She should get her comeuppance every once in a while instead of magic plot armor, nothing bad ever happens.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jastiger posted:

I dunno. I like the show a lot but characters like Gina infuriate me. She obviously does terrible things all the time and is always magically vindicated. She should get her comeuppance every once in a while instead of magic plot armor, nothing bad ever happens.

take it easy, its a comedy sitcom not Game of Thrones.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Were you also super pissy about Tom in Parks and Rec?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one liked Tom in Parks and Rec.

edit:

Eh, except for this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvPVGcpthc

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 15, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's Jastiger. He's super pissy about waking up in the morning.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I guess Tom was from the South...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tom in parks and Rec made more sense though. He didn't always automatically win, and be often learned or at least pretended to learn something.

I think it weakens Gina's character because she can be the most insane out of everyone and still be rewarded for it vs other cast members' quirks end up having to be reacted to or accounted for. But I guess she's effective, I spoke up and said I didn't like it and was immediately dog piled

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one liked Tom in Parks and Rec.

Look at this guy being all stupid,

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Tom in parks and Rec made more sense though. He didn't always automatically win, and be often learned or at least pretended to learn something.

I think it weakens Gina's character because she can be the most insane out of everyone and still be rewarded for it vs other cast members' quirks end up having to be reacted to or accounted for. But I guess she's effective, I spoke up and said I didn't like it and was immediately dog piled

That "2 people mildly disagreeing with you" dogpile you poor thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

That "2 people mildly disagreeing with you" dogpile you poor thing.

And now I'm being trolled, mods help

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TommyGun85 posted:

take it easy, its a comedy sitcom not Game of Thrones.

"I WILL NOT REST UNTIL GINA PAYS THE IRON PRICE."

Not liking Gina or Tom Haverford makes you a bad person.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

And now I'm being trolled, mods help
Well okay, but I don't know why you want me to help them troll you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love that Holt's conversation about SATC was just him riffing off facts about episode titles and what happened in them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

It was the fact he had a whole box of them he just got in that amazes me. They must be a top seller.

More people are the exact opposite of afraid of clowns than you'd think.

:heysexy:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Characters In Sitcoms Get Away With Things That Real People Cannot, Film at 11

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe it just seems like a weird reaction because she was really good in this specific episode but yeah, overall, in a show where everyone has been challenged and grown (even Hitchcock and Scully leave their comfort zone on occasion) Gina stands out as a bit of a one-joke pony

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Characters like this usually occupy the lower rungs of power, though- Gina isn't a police officer or a captain, she's a receptionist. It's an old comedy trope, the least powerful person gets away with the most.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Were you also super pissy about Tom in Parks and Rec?

I don't necessarily agree with Jastiger's point but Tom got poo poo on constantly in P&R, in relationships, business, etc. Gina isn't an especially bad example of this archetype though, Taco from the League is way worse (oh god no I brought up the League again I am an obsessive) Cosmo Kramer is one of the better examples that works (again, he doesn't always escape unscathed)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like Tom, he made sense. He was the plucky guy who had outlandish ideas that just sorta seemed to work- because he tried hard or at least put effort into it. He wasn't able to just run roughshod over the other characters because he was Tom.

Whereas Gina says and does whatever she wants because she's Gina. I felt like she was best when she was sexing Charles because it showed that she WAS human and despite all her Gina-ness, she was still sleeping with Boyle. Now whenever she's on I know she's going to end up "winning" whatever she tries to because ~reasons~ without any comeuppance or development.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Isn't part of the joke in Gina's character that she's nowhere near as cool or interesting as she thinks she is?

IIRC, her dance troupe objectively sucks and for her weird hyper-selectivity about sexual partners, we don't have any evidence of her having any actual relationships other than her own bragging. While the rest of the cast aren't paragons of smooth operators themselves, the universal reaction to anything Gina says is an eye roll. There's also the fact that she's a massive creep towards Terry.

I mean, she's not meant to be particularly likeable, but that's the joke. We all know somebody who thinks they're a golden god but is really just an average schlub, but they're ultimately harmless so you just snicker about how oblivious they are behind their back.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

inthesto posted:

Isn't part of the joke in Gina's character that she's nowhere near as cool or interesting as she thinks she is?

IIRC, her dance troupe objectively sucks and for her weird hyper-selectivity about sexual partners, we don't have any evidence of her having any actual relationships other than her own bragging. While the rest of the cast aren't paragons of smooth operators themselves, the universal reaction to anything Gina says is an eye roll. There's also the fact that she's a massive creep towards Terry.

I mean, she's not meant to be particularly likeable, but that's the joke. We all know somebody who thinks they're a golden god but is really just an average schlub, but they're ultimately harmless so you just snicker about how oblivious they are behind their back.

We do have some evidence of sex partners, but its Boyle which kind of backs up your point.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

this...this is why I became a cop.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Holt reciting Funky Cold Medina is all I never knew I wanted.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Holt reciting Funky Cold Medina is all I never knew I wanted.

Zero rehearsal.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Holt would never use the word 'decimated' unless they had taken down exactly 1/10th of the operation. What has Jake done to this man?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This show is amazing how it can be comedy but still do heavy police stuff.

I do admit I was a little annoyed at the amount of time given to Boyles baby stuff,

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best gags of the episode were related to Diaz's home life.

"The room needed a splash of color."

"She's a regular chatty Kathy."

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It will be interesting to see how they get out of the whole witness protection situation next season. I would think at the very least Kevin is down there with Holt and maybe Amy with Jake?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

The best gags of the episode were related to Diaz's home life.

"The room needed a splash of color."

"She's a regular chatty Kathy."

"My coworkers think my name is Rosa Diaz."
"Yeah! ..What?"
"Don't worry about it."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It will be interesting to see how they get out of the whole witness protection situation next season. I would think at the very least Kevin is down there with Holt and maybe Amy with Jake?

Isn't Kevin in France still? And I imagine it will be similar to last season where they wrap it up in a single episode or two at most to get everyone back together. Even though they do the police stuff well, they maintain the standard rules of comedy where little has actually changed.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Red Oktober posted:

Holt would never use the word 'decimated' unless they had taken down exactly 1/10th of the operation. What has Jake done to this man?!

When I heard that line my thought was more along the lines of, "Wow Figgis has 750 men in his gang?!"

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I imagine it's a ploy to catch Cyril Figgis or whoever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume that was the season finale, yeah?

Enjoyed the season, and liked the multi episode arc especially the last but one episode. Still a good and funny show.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think the amount of plot based stuff was excessive, and that the show has largely jumped the shark. The final scene however, was very funny.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Felt this season started off very slowly, but by midway through and to the end it had really found its stride.

Hopefully they don't go through a series of guest captains again, they sucked donkey balls.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I don't want to hang out with a stupid baby that's never met Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

mossyfisk posted:

the show has largely jumped the shark.

How so? It's the same show since day one. I don't think you understand what that term means.

I mean, c'mon, we still haven't had the scene where Jake finds out Charles has never seen Die Hard.

• Locked thread