Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Toxxupation posted:

this episode was really, really, really, really, almost bizarrely bad

like I'm not even mad or upset or angry, just stunned by how slipshod and poor the storytelling and narrative leaps this episode took were

it was honestly like stumbling into a totally different, distinctly worse television show after a sort of unimpressive but still fun season that was season 3 of B99 up to this point. just, like...wow

Or, conversely, the best episode of the season so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

like I'm not even mad or upset or angry, just stunned by how slipshod and poor the storytelling and narrative leaps this episode took were

it was honestly like stumbling into a totally different, distinctly worse television show after a sort of unimpressive but still fun season that was season 3 of B99 up to this point. just, like...wow

mind telling us why?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Toxxupation posted:

Okay sure.

I loved that episode, definitely my favorite of the season so far. Jake and Holt just cant do anything that isn't amazing when they team up, and Gina's "Or was I never really gone" might have been one of her best moments from the entire show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

mind telling us why?

Not nearly enough time travel.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I think you might accidentally be watching a different show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TommyGun85 posted:

mind telling us why?

yeah sure

B99's actual police procedural work is hit-or-miss at best, simply because it's a character driven sitcom. the mysteries are never really that interesting and the resolutions are pretty textbook, so unless they get a really good character actor to play a bit role (Craig Robinson, James Urbaniak) it's sort of nothing, just a loose excuse to have everyone riff on each other. which, you know, is fine. i don't expect nor really want B99 to have involved or interesting episodic plots

the problem stems from how this episode was very clearly written backwards, wanting a way to bring Holt back to the nine-nine and structuring the entire episode around accomplishing that task. even for the normally low bar that the cases of the week have, the oolong slayer stuff was especially dull, with a "going through the motions" air because the episode wasn't particularly invested in its own stakes. it came across as a supremely disinteresting waste of time, which is super damning when that's your A-plot. it wasn't very humorous, hit mostly the same character beats the season and show as a whole always hits - Jake is impetuous and ignores orders, Holt is professionally unfulfilled and frustrated - with very little to save it. Wunch and Gina, especially the latter because she's always incredible, were the only real positives of the A-plot

which, you know, whatever. it was a boring A-plot due in large part to being a case of the week, on a show that never really has "great" cases of the week. which would be ignorable at worst until it's viewed in the context of being an episode built specifically to bring Holt back

Holt's departure last season was this momentous event, literally a season-ender. bringing him back was an idea i felt was fundamentally ill-advised, but the speed and specific way in which they did it was just flat-out horrid. firstly, i felt separating Holt and Gina out to PR was an overall good move for the show, both because the Holt/Gina subplots have given both characters more to do (and the cops still back at the 99 more space to breathe) and have changed the show's dynamic to pay dividends

last week's strangely topical Holt/Gina/Amy subplot was both a welcome dose of reality to a usually cartoonish program and a good story end-to-end. the story before that dealing with the whole mascot thing was great too. putting Holt into a PR position introduced new challenges and frustrations the character had to encounter and the fact that he was in such direct contact with Wunch (over her just visiting every once in a while like she did when he was in charge of the 99) was really fascinating. it also helped out the 99 characters, since Holt and Gina are such dominant personalities that they overtake the show when they're onscreen; separating them out from everyone else allows for characters like Rosa/Amy to shine more easily. the interactions the group had with the vulture were really interesting too, and having to work around or through a boss they hated, who was actively trying to prevent them from getting any real work done, was a welcome contrast to Holt's straight-lacedness and obsession with procedure

this episode trashed all of that, and did it in the most inept way possible. the show shifted paradigms and focus by separating out Holt and Gina, and found a more interesting program as a result. as opposed to Parks and Rec's ill-advised "Leslie elected to City Council" plot point, kicking Holt "upstairs" made for a stronger show in a couple of ways, and turned out to be a welcome shakeup in structure the show sorta needed. going back on all of that was a mistake, and doing it in barely four episodes makes it even worse. they had a really interesting idea that was creating some good stories in Holt being in PR that they immediately nipped in the bud to reset to status quo. this makes all the oolong slayer stuff from just sorta boring to almost offensively bad, because it was so barefacedly a way to bring Holt back. the weird, uninvested air the episode had in the stakes or relevance of the A-plot now makes sense in retrospect, because the show itself didn't care - it was just a means to an end. it was a plot written with that final shot in mind, so simply went through the motions until it hit them.

sending holt away was this huge season ending moment. bringing holt back should've had just as much if not more weight - it should've had a villain we, the audience, were invested in, it probably should've been a multi-part story, it honestly should've been at least a mid-season finale move. give holt and gina time to actually invest in the PR job over taking them out of it within four episodes.

holt being brought back should've been built to, narratively. it should've felt important and like an accomplishment, like jake and holt had experienced a road of trials and come out the other side. it shouldn't have been this just awkwardly tossed away thing where jake trades collaring a guy nobody knows or cares about for getting his father figure back within literally like half a minute. it just felt so authored, so forced, so blatantly a "bring X to Y" move. and the entire show totally suffered as a result.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 19, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

^^Yeah, nope. I think you're watching the wrong show for you buddy. This is exactly the kind of way I wanted Holt to come back, especially Gina.

Also, the case was super personal to the Chief o' Ds, therefore, yeah, Jake letting him have full credit for it would basically get him a certain level of overriding power re: reinstating Capt. Holt.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 19, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Yeah that was definitely a fantastic episode. You might be looking a bit too far into this man.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I kinda agree that Holt's return seemed a little rushed. The PR stuff was indeed great and it would have been nice to have it run longer. Still thought the episode was really good though, the only part that didn't hit for me was the fat Terry plot.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I didn't think highly of the B plot for Amy/Rosa, but Terry is always fun and Gina/Holt/Jake were amazing.

Not mad at all for them doing it massively telegraphed and with little fanfare because the end result would've been the same but I enjoyed the way they did it here. And hopefully we'll get less dumb fratboy humor from the Vulture.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't engage with Toxxupation, it's not healthy for you or anyone else that might be reading it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought this was by far the funniest episode of the season (and much of the last season as well), I like the show way more when it's about fun guys solving silly crimes instead of all the weird relationship subplots and internal political wrangling of the NYPD.

"You want your own do group?"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gina was the real star of this episode. "I'm taking an abnormal psych class, and everyone in it is obsessed with me."

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

yeah sure

B99's actual police procedural work is hit-or-miss at best, simply because it's a character driven sitcom. the mysteries are never really that interesting and the resolutions are pretty textbook, so unless they get a really good character actor to play a bit role (Craig Robinson, James Urbaniak) it's sort of nothing, just a loose excuse to have everyone riff on each other. which, you know, is fine. i don't expect nor really want B99 to have involved or interesting episodic plots

the problem stems from how this episode was very clearly written backwards, wanting a way to bring Holt back to the nine-nine and structuring the entire episode around accomplishing that task. even for the normally low bar that the cases of the week have, the oolong slayer stuff was especially dull, with a "going through the motions" air because the episode wasn't particularly invested in its own stakes. it came across as a supremely disinteresting waste of time, which is super damning when that's your A-plot. it wasn't very humorous, hit mostly the same character beats the season and show as a whole always hits - Jake is impetuous and ignores orders, Holt is professionally unfulfilled and frustrated - with very little to save it. Wunch and Gina, especially the latter because she's always incredible, were the only real positives of the A-plot

which, you know, whatever. it was a boring A-plot due in large part to being a case of the week, on a show that never really has "great" cases of the week. which would be ignorable at worst until it's viewed in the context of being an episode built specifically to bring Holt back

Holt's departure last season was this momentous event, literally a season-ender. bringing him back was an idea i felt was fundamentally ill-advised, but the speed and specific way in which they did it was just flat-out horrid. firstly, i felt separating Holt and Gina out to PR was an overall good move for the show, both because the Holt/Gina subplots have given both characters more to do (and the cops still back at the 99 more space to breathe) and have changed the show's dynamic to pay dividends

last week's strangely topical Holt/Gina/Amy subplot was both a welcome dose of reality to a usually cartoonish program and a good story end-to-end. the story before that dealing with the whole mascot thing was great too. putting Holt into a PR position introduced new challenges and frustrations the character had to encounter and the fact that he was in such direct contact with Wunch (over her just visiting every once in a while like she did when he was in charge of the 99) was really fascinating. it also helped out the 99 characters, since Holt and Gina are such dominant personalities that they overtake the show when they're onscreen; separating them out from everyone else allows for characters like Rosa/Amy to shine more easily. the interactions the group had with the vulture were really interesting too, and having to work around or through a boss they hated, who was actively trying to prevent them from getting any real work done, was a welcome contrast to Holt's straight-lacedness and obsession with procedure

this episode trashed all of that, and did it in the most inept way possible. the show shifted paradigms and focus by separating out Holt and Gina, and found a more interesting program as a result. as opposed to Parks and Rec's ill-advised "Leslie elected to City Council" plot point, kicking Holt "upstairs" made for a stronger show in a couple of ways, and turned out to be a welcome shakeup in structure the show sorta needed. going back on all of that was a mistake, and doing it in barely four episodes makes it even worse. they had a really interesting idea that was creating some good stories in Holt being in PR that they immediately nipped in the bud to reset to status quo. this makes all the oolong slayer stuff from just sorta boring to almost offensively bad, because it was so barefacedly a way to bring Holt back. the weird, uninvested air the episode had in the stakes or relevance of the A-plot now makes sense in retrospect, because the show itself didn't care - it was just a means to an end. it was a plot written with that final shot in mind, so simply went through the motions until it hit them.

sending holt away was this huge season ending moment. bringing holt back should've had just as much if not more weight - it should've had a villain we, the audience, were invested in, it probably should've been a multi-part story, it honestly should've been at least a mid-season finale move. give holt and gina time to actually invest in the PR job over taking them out of it within four episodes.

holt being brought back should've been built to, narratively. it should've felt important and like an accomplishment, like jake and holt had experienced a road of trials and come out the other side. it shouldn't have been this just awkwardly tossed away thing where jake trades collaring a guy nobody knows or cares about for getting his father figure back within literally like half a minute. it just felt so authored, so forced, so blatantly a "bring X to Y" move. and the entire show totally suffered as a result.

you do realize you are watching a sitcom starring Andy Samberg and not The Wire, right?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Holy poo poo so many words over a comedy cop show.

That episode was definitely my favorite this season.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Hakkesshu posted:

"You want your own do group?"
That line loving killed me. Not the least because when Gina said that Holt came up with the phrase "do group" I realized it was the perfect blend of bland and peppy that would be perfect.

Also the pacing of the shot at the bar with Jake and Gina and Jake pausing, then tentatively kissing Gina on the forehead right before booking it was great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm glad the PR sub plot us done with. I wasn't really digging the new captain stuff so far this season.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

Also the pacing of the shot at the bar with Jake and Gina and Jake pausing, then tentatively kissing Gina on the forehead right before booking it was great.

It was so great I almost hope it was ad-libbed.

Gina getting back to her desk with the confetti bomb was great, too, but I think my favorite ongoing thing is still when Holt gets all ultracop and grits his teeth when he talks. "PUNK."

e: I'm glad that it's done sparingly, though.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 19, 2015

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Binged first two seasons a while back in the late spring with my gf, we both loved it, and then we watched the first three eps of S3 this past weekend. Did they have a change in the writing staff maybe? All eps had some fantastic moments but there were also some head-scratching moments at times, and Boyle's personality seemed really off here and there. Perhaps it's just the writers trying new ideas out what with Holt and Gina elsewhere and incorporating the new couple storyline; at least most of the jokes landed (especially anything with Beeper King) so still great fun.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If they had better ideas for what to do with a new captain at the precinct I would have been fine, as Holt at PR was funny.

But every new captain joke fell flat for me, so I'm fine they brought him back so fast. The elevator opening had enough weight for me, and it was a good character growth moment for Jake.

"No, we are gonna find this guy." Or whatever the line was my favorite. Holy completely buying into Jake's craziness because he's so unhappy was great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Riven posted:

If they had better ideas for what to do with a new captain at the precinct I would have been fine, as Holt at PR was funny.

But every new captain joke fell flat for me, so I'm fine they brought him back so fast. The elevator opening had enough weight for me, and it was a good character growth moment for Jake.

"No, we are gonna find this guy." Or whatever the line was my favorite. Holy completely buying into Jake's craziness because he's so unhappy was great.

"Because she's a BAT." Seriously, I hope they keep having Sedgwick show up ala Tammy 2 on Parks & Rec. Not too often, but just enough to remember how awesome they are.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I was really enjoying having the vulture as the captain, he's constant making GBS threads on them was so much fun.

I hope he has a bigger part this season.

One thing, does the chief of detectives our rank wunch?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

notaspy posted:

One thing, does the chief of detectives our rank wunch?

Wunch is a deputy chief, so the CoD would a couple of levels up

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think The Vulture is a character that only works in small doses and he was right on the verge of being overexposed (insert joke here) so I'm happy that Holt is back now.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

I sort of agree with this, but only very loosely.

I thought they could have explored alternate captains a bit more. With some terrible ones like Dozerman, and then perhaps look at ones that make the team really happy or love the new captain, only for him to be a secret suckhole. Basically a metaphor for the "grass is always greener on the other side, until its not".

I would have also been ok with some sort of dating montage where they cycle through captains one after another whilst trying to find another Holt. Only to realise that they really only want Holt. Then have Jake do his Oolong strangler case to get some leverage on Wunch.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I still want to see some Wunch/Lunch insults from Holt.

Best line of the 3rd episode: "oh, hey, just out taking my gun for a walk in nightmare land."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BigDave posted:

I still want to see some Wunch/Lunch insults from Holt.

Best line of the 3rd episode: "oh, hey, just out taking my gun for a walk in nightmare land."

forked-tongue lizard witch

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blud, do us a favour and unfuck the grammar of that messay, yeah?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is next week the Halloween episode?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I love when Holt and Peralta team up. Or try to prank each other. Or otherwise interact. I do feel like the replacement captains haven't been great or used as well as I expected them to, especially considering their actors. And Holt and Gina's stint in PR and their subsequent return seemed pretty rushed and squandered too. Overall, this season has been good but not great for me.

Melissa Fumero looks even more amazing than usual this season.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

adrenaline_junket posted:

I would have also been ok with some sort of dating montage where they cycle through captains one after another whilst trying to find another Holt. Only to realise that they really only want Holt.
If they could choose their own loving captains they could've just brought Holt back themselves.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

"Because she's a BAT." Seriously, I hope they keep having Sedgwick show up ala Tammy 2 on Parks & Rec. Not too often, but just enough to remember how awesome they are.

I think that's why the PR plot didn't gel for me. Wunch is great in small doses, not torturing Holt every episode.

I like that Holt's gradually learning to have more fun. I don't mind them bringing him back so quick, his chemistry with the other characters is the glue of this show.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like Wunch and would like to see more of her and Holt square off. It was a bit rushed, but I think was worth it and can only hope that the quick return to the 99 foreshadows an even bigger plot twist. The latest Captain was actually funny and good.

All in all I'm really enjoying the season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Has there been any word on if Mary Lynn Raksaub would be coming back in more episodes?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has there been any word on if Mary Lynn Raksaub would be coming back in more episodes?

I really hope so, she's wonderful.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Fat Terry was hilarious.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

I bet you don't even like nip slips.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was a little swift, but I think they'd gotten all the jokes they could out of the Vulture being in charge and Holt working in PR, so there was no point drawing things out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Maxwell Lord posted:

It was a little swift, but I think they'd gotten all the jokes they could out of the Vulture being in charge and Holt working in PR, so there was no point drawing things out.

It would've been nice to have gotten one more episode with the Vulture forcing more douchiness upon them.

• Locked thread