Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
God, I'd forgotten that HOI3's tutorial was narrated by Hitler! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's Swedish humor

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

God, I'd forgotten that HOI3's tutorial was narrated by Hitler! :negative:
WWII enjoyers admire Hitler for his strategic gumption, so who better for narrating a tutorial?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

So my core provinces all have 10 infrastructure.

And I have a decent supply stock pile.

Why cant we get the officers a loaf of bread in peace time?

Jank? I know the way it works is that the tiles play broken telephone, so maybe the problem is that.... they all get supplied from the one corridor in the north east? But how can I tell it to not be rear end?

I think being on the base game with no DLC is loving you up because not even our tooltips are the same

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Toalpaz posted:

HoI3... how can I tell it to not be rear end?

The supply system is what broke me too, all those years ago

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gort posted:

The supply system is what broke me too, all those years ago

I vaguely recall the patronizingly named arcade mode eased it a lot.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
lol, I forgot they called it arcade mode. Never change paradox.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I always looked forward to dropping a couple quarters into the big HOI3 cabinet. The game truly is best experienced with a joystick and a pair of plastic buttons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrSunshine posted:

I always looked forward to dropping a couple quarters into the big HOI3 cabinet. The game truly is best experienced with a joystick and a pair of plastic buttons.

It was always fun to put my replica medal of Hero of the Soviet up on the ledge to indicate that I got the next battle.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Every time I see HoI3 I have a visceral reaction and thank the gaming heavens Darkest Hour eventually existed until HoI4 came along.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've just completed my first full game of Victoria 3, as Venezuela

I'd taken two other games to the 1900s, as the Philippines and as Brazil, but this was the first time I decided to really push it to the very end.

The pivotal moment was in about 1897-1898, when Austria-Hungary demanded a treaty port from me, and I had to fight a war over it. I was massively outnumbered on land, but thankfully my navy was up-to-date and sizable enough that I kept beating back their invasion fleets. After multiple defeats at sea, A-H white-peaced out, and the rest was smooth sailing from there on out.

I could have gotten involved in more wars after that, whether as part of great power plays or my own expansion, but I decided to not keep it messy.

There's absolutely still a lot of replayability in the game: I could turn up AI aggressiveness, I could try more or less advanced countries, but otherwise I'm glad to have crossed this off my list.

I'm now considering the next Paradox Game to play to completion. I'm thinking either HOI4 as the Brits or the USA with a vanilla/historical focus path, or the Mamluks or Bengal in EU4, or try to learn Imperator.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Great job! The Mamluks are insanely fun in EU4, if you like the vassal game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

THE BAR posted:

Great job! The Mamluks are insanely fun in EU4, if you like the vassal game.

They're a bit too strong even for a first game IMO, I think Bengal is a better choice (India is generally a great place to learn the importance of diplomacy)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

They're a bit too strong even for a first game IMO, I think Bengal is a better choice (India is generally a great place to learn the importance of diplomacy)

Oh I don't know if they've played EU4 before. The Indian Thunderdome can be a handful as a first experience.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

THE BAR posted:

Oh I don't know if they've played EU4 before. The Indian Thunderdome can be a handful as a first experience.

Losing because you got Thunderdomed is a great way to learn!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Playing as Bengal is also a vastly different experience, whether or not you have the, uh.. Ming DLC. Mandate of Heaven?

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

oscarthewilde posted:

I've been playing HoI4 Kaiserreich a bit recently, and while the strategic, tactical and productive gameplay is still decently to very fun, I just can't get over the DLC has added so much busywork. Every new ship, plane or tank you research has to be designed mostly manually (actually using the auto-design function requires knowing all the different techs required for a particular design template or waiting 70-120 days before actually able use your shiny new model plane), and while I like being able to pick each individual factory design team, it feels like you have to pick new bonuses every other week. I know that pretty much no one here likes the designers, I still think it needs be said that they simple don't work on a simple gameplay basis.

More fundamentally than that, however, I really dislike how a lot of wars feel like a stalemate until the AI runs out of infantry equipment or something similar and the fronts just collapse. It just feels weird that you can run your troops into theirs for months without any real swings either way (at least until one of your fronts somehow 'forgets' to extend to 2-3 provinces, allowing the AI to just surge through and form a hugely annoying but not particularly dangerous bulge), until all the little mistakes the AI makes just add up and everything just goes your way. And if I remember correctly, vanilla HoI4 at release had exactly the same issue. It's a shame it's either too complicated, or too fundamental to really fix.

How is Kaiserriech these days? It’s been years and expansions, and I mainly remember 3/4 of the world explodes into commie/fash/dem civil wars then Germany kills France then nothing happens. HoI sort of needs an end boss country.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

soviet elsa posted:

How is Kaiserriech these days? It’s been years and expansions, and I mainly remember 3/4 of the world explodes into commie/fash/dem civil wars then Germany kills France then nothing happens. HoI sort of needs an end boss country.

It has (and has always had) a problem with getting all the powers to join "the big one" instead of having a bunch of regional conflicts. I think unfortunately this problem is baked into the mod because every country is built to be unique and interesting with a million different ways their focuses can go.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

It has (and has always had) a problem with getting all the powers to join "the big one" instead of having a bunch of regional conflicts. I think unfortunately this problem is baked into the mod because every country is built to be unique and interesting with a million different ways their focuses can go.

In the Darkest Hour one I would usually hope that Germany conquers Russia or vice versa so I could have a big final boss

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

soviet elsa posted:

china still owns in KR

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Kaissereich always ends up in the Internationale vs The Reichspakt & Entente and Russia will always invade Germany during the second weltkrieg unless something goes crazy or they're stuck at war with someone. The last major update to KR added post-war German content and overhauled their tree, so there's more meat on the bones now, the joy of a card game to get out of Black Monday and some mechanics for Mitteleuropa to mess around with, but the content for them vs the CSA if it wins or the Entente hasn't been finished yet.

Lots has changed over the years, highlights now are certainly the Kuomintang & Germany, being the last two major updates, of course.

There's also Kaiserredux that goes off the rails wildly, as it was made to counteract the more "realistic" focus KR took a turn towards, it also has a ton of content in general - but still involves the former face off. That said, it has an old German focus tree, though that has some changes of its own.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 5, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided I'm going to try HOI4 next*. I have a decent grasp on the game so far, I think, but I have a couple of persistent questions around the navy:

- reading some Steam guides, I get the impression that a workable/basic TF composition is two carriers, two battleships (therefore four capital ships total) and then eight destroyers. Is that right?

- are heavy cruisers still considered capital ships? are light cruisers still considered screens?

- it seems like carriers are a mix of HOI2 and HOI3: you don't have to micromanage giving air wings on a carrier specific missions, like in HOI3, and you actually do need to build the carrier aircraft and assign them to carriers. But once a carrier has an assigned air wing, you simply assign the whole TF their mission, such as patrol or convoy raiding, and the aircraft are simply going to be automatically used to fulfill that mission. Is that right?

- what is a submarine TF like? eight submarine units grouped together?

- it seems like, as the USA, if I was fighting Japan across the Pacific, they could launch invasions and/or sink convoys heading to Guam / the Philippines across the whole length of that convoy route, and it would be impractical to use naval TFs to patrol every sea zone between San Francisco and Okinawa (or even just between Pearl Harbor and Okinawa). So, one approach would be to use naval bombers as the patrolling/detection element, and then once you spot the big flat tops, that's when you commit your own carriers to intercept them wherever they're found. Does that make sense?

___

* I'm hoping for a DLC sale once the new EU4 expansion drops, and if there is one I might complete the set

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The ship designer and navy system is extremely bad. Ignore it. Make submarines and naval bombers. You will sink half the Axis armies in addition to all their boats, especially as the USA. It’s just so loving garbage.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Westminster System posted:

Every time I see HoI3 I have a visceral reaction and thank the gaming heavens Darkest Hour eventually existed until HoI4 came along.

I still have fond memories of redoing the entire USSR OOB from the ground up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
here is how boats work in hoi4:

In naval combat there are three “zones” for each side: screens, capitals, and carriers. Screens consist of destroyers and light cruisers*. their job is to be damage soaks, destroy the enemy screen, and screen against torpedo attacks. If your fleets screening ratio (more on this in a second) falls below 100% then torpedoes start getting through and wrecking your capitals. heavy cruisers, battle cruisers and battleships sit behind the screens and lob heavy shells which are terrible at hitting screens but less so against capitals. finally carriers sit behind the capitals and launch planes which participate in the battle.

fleet comp you want to follow a ratio of 3 screens for every capital or carrier to get 100% screening efficiency. In practice I use 4 to keep screening up as long as possible despite battle loses. due to penalities you want a maximum of 4 carriers in a fleet, those four carriers require a capital ship each to screen them in addition to the 3 regular screens. Thus a CTF will look like 4 CVs, 4CAs, and 32 screens.

however this is all pointless against the AI which will maybe, maybe build some 1940 hulls by the end of ww2. Just spam subs to get naval supremacy for invasions and naval bombers to kill enemy fleets

*a cruiser hull becomes light or heavy depending on if it has light or heavy cruiser guns on it. Light cruiser guns do light attacks against screens and heavy cruiser guns do heavy attack against capitals.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've decided I'm going to try HOI4 next*. I have a decent grasp on the game so far, I think, but I have a couple of persistent questions around the navy:

- reading some Steam guides, I get the impression that a workable/basic TF composition is two carriers, two battleships (therefore four capital ships total) and then eight destroyers. Is that right?

Not really - if an AI was tooling around with fleets like that I'd just throw the entire Royal Navy at them in one go and drown them all. It'd be expensive in fuel, but ships take ages to build so the fuel expenditure would be worth it. Throw out the idea of task force compositions from previous games. The only ship that really has a limit to how many should be in a task force is aircraft carriers, which you can only have four of in a combat (and therefore a task force) before they all start taking penalties.

What actually matters in a combat (and therefore a task force) is your ratio of screen ships (destroyers, light cruisers) to capital ships (heavy cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, and carriers are a special kind of capital ship that get screened by other capital ships). Make sure you have at least three screen ships per capital ship, and at least one other capital ship per carrier. As screens often die, you may want to have four screen ships per capital ship, so you maintain good screening even if a few destroyers sink.

quote:

- are heavy cruisers still considered capital ships? are light cruisers still considered screens?

Yeah.

quote:

- it seems like carriers are a mix of HOI2 and HOI3: you don't have to micromanage giving air wings on a carrier specific missions, like in HOI3, and you actually do need to build the carrier aircraft and assign them to carriers. But once a carrier has an assigned air wing, you simply assign the whole TF their mission, such as patrol or convoy raiding, and the aircraft are simply going to be automatically used to fulfill that mission. Is that right?

That's correct. You can give carrier planes a mission separate to the task force, so for instance you can park the Royal Navy off Wilhelmshaven and set all the naval bombers on the carriers to port strike the town, or put a couple of carriers out in the Atlantic and tell their planes to naval strike in the hopes of killing subs, but those are specific things. Generally if you want to sink ships the carriers and their planes just get the same orders the rest of the task force gets.

quote:

- what is a submarine TF like? eight submarine units grouped together?

Again, throw out the idea of specific task force compositions. For submarines, a task force is "some submarines". Against the AI, probably the most efficient way to convoy raid is a million task forces of a single submarine, since each task force gets to detect convoys separately, and multiple task forces can join the same combats. Can be a bit of a gamey tactic that requires a lot of clicks though, so I often just go with ten task forces all on one admiral, each with 10% of my country's submarines in it.

quote:

- it seems like, as the USA, if I was fighting Japan across the Pacific, they could launch invasions and/or sink convoys heading to Guam / the Philippines across the whole length of that convoy route, and it would be impractical to use naval TFs to patrol every sea zone between San Francisco and Okinawa (or even just between Pearl Harbor and Okinawa). So, one approach would be to use naval bombers as the patrolling/detection element, and then once you spot the big flat tops, that's when you commit your own carriers to intercept them wherever they're found. Does that make sense?

Not really, unless you want to pause the game every time you see a naval bomber attack and check and see if it's against a carrier.

Keep in mind that the detection ability of a patrolling task force is equal to the average detection of every ship in the task force. That means the most efficient patrolling task force is a single ship, rammed to the gills with floatplanes and with the best radar and sonar systems you can get, set to "never engage". Have one of those per sea zone, then your entire surface fleet (minus any excess carriers or hilariously slow ships) sat on Strike Force in some port in the middle of the patrol areas, and you won't go wrong versus the AI.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I got the bug to play HOI4 again for the first time in a long while and picked germany. Immediately got overwhelmed when I attacked Poland and the map turned red. Fiddled around with the early game on US and Russia. Went back and tried Germany again, doing well, great industry, solid base, got enough boats and airplanes to cover my rear end now. Formed the Axis and attacked Poland again.

Forgot that boats and planes need fuel. Tapped myself dry trying to keep tanks, boats, and planes going for 30 days. Whoops.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just buy oil from the Soviets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay, Paradox is having a big sale this weekend and I'm planning on grabbing a bunch of DLCs

are any of the HOI4 DLC worth it? I only have Man the Guns.

thank you for the very comprehensive answer

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

I got the bug to play HOI4 again for the first time in a long while and picked germany. Immediately got overwhelmed when I attacked Poland and the map turned red. Fiddled around with the early game on US and Russia. Went back and tried Germany again, doing well, great industry, solid base, got enough boats and airplanes to cover my rear end now. Formed the Axis and attacked Poland again.

Forgot that boats and planes need fuel. Tapped myself dry trying to keep tanks, boats, and planes going for 30 days. Whoops.

historical

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay, Paradox is having a big sale this weekend and I'm planning on grabbing a bunch of DLCs

are any of the HOI4 DLC worth it? I only have Man the Guns.

thank you for the very comprehensive answer

No Step Back is great, adds much better supply mechanics & trains. It has a tank designer but no train designer.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
They also included a couple the of oldest DLC in the base game of HoI4 so you'll find you have a bit of content/systems for free.

All the DLC have something to offer, though, it depends what interests you and who you want to play as.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I haven't really played much since the supply chain system got revamped. I understand the theory behind it in terms of nodes, railways, and distributions trucks, but what is the best way to handle supply when going on the offense? You can capture enemy rails and supply depots but if you are bogged down outside an enemy supply depot then you don't want to be building new depots (which cost a lot of production) just to push a little further onto one that is already built.

Is it mostly a game of using air transports to bridge the gap?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if it's by the coast you can build a level 1 naval base to improve supply, it works exactly like a hub but way cheaper.

otherwise if you're stuck, and you've already put the nearest hubs on the extra trucks setting, and you can't capture an enemy hub, then yes air supply is the only lever you have left

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If you're stuck in a supply blackspot it can be worth falling back a bit so it's the enemy who have the supply problems, then building up a planning bonus and bulldozing your way to their supply hub.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's a good Victoria 3 starting country? I always make the mistake of picking the US, winning the civil war and then having literally no challenges for the rest of the game because you can go afk with time set to max and USA capitalists will basically sort everything out for you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I kinda like the Ottomans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say Iran. Good availability of resources, but you have to modernize first.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Alchenar posted:

What's a good Victoria 3 starting country? I always make the mistake of picking the US, winning the civil war and then having literally no challenges for the rest of the game because you can go afk with time set to max and USA capitalists will basically sort everything out for you.

East Asian unrecognized-majors tend to be real nice IMO, although they've been toned down from release. You have to engage with politics and forcing recognition, but you can beat up on Russian serf levies for the second and if you do the first you're rewarded with around half a billion accepted pops through conquest.
Closed borders in the beginning is also sink-or-swim industrial planning, and once you swim once you'll only sink on minors that happen to be nowhere near a needed resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Alchenar posted:

Brazil or Argentina, Dai Nam or Phillipines... Iran and Afghanistan are fun but their setup is being reworked in SoI shortly, probably for the harder

And of course in Europe France, Prussia, and Russia are all fun runs