Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

Do nukes in HoI4 actually have a strategic effect (lowering national unity or whatever), or are they just tactical where you use them to destroy the counters and infrastructure in the province you hit?

Both. If you drop them on a city with a high VP count, you massively drop war support. And if you drop them on a tile with like 10 tanks or 2000 planes - they all die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

RabidWeasel posted:

Someone remind me what time of day Paradox usually drop their patches on Steam, I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a Paradox patch more than tomorrow's V3 patch

They wrote on Reddit that they will start streaming 15.30 CET and that the patch drops later than that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Noon EST has been pretty common recently but then the EU4 patch randomly dropped at like 6am so idk

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

It's generally 9am Pacific Time, aka as early as you can without paying Valve extra money to have someone in the office for whatever they do as part of the process.

Okay, the Valve part is just a rumor I've heard.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

idhrendur posted:

It's generally 9am Pacific Time, aka as early as you can without paying Valve extra money to have someone in the office for whatever they do as part of the process.

Okay, the Valve part is just a rumor I've heard.

That's also the time when days on Steam roll over, most notably when big sales start

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Should unlock in about 5 hours.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Do nukes in HoI4 actually have a strategic effect (lowering national unity or whatever), or are they just tactical where you use them to destroy the counters and infrastructure in the province you hit?

They massively drop war support for each major VP target hit, which you can stack on top of collaborationist government spy missions. Once with a full collab government+nukes, I got the US to capitulate just by taking most of the major cities the North-East.

In addition they are also really useful in expediting the air war, if you can eek out the required superiority. This is particularly useful against Britain, who will turn the entirety of England into the aircraft dimension.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
paradox is advertising on twitter, lol

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

They can't alienate their fanbase

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Oh my Science!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

HoI4 ads targeted towards players who only play as Germany?

I... am not going to buy a single thing until they stop doing that.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 27, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

Both. If you drop them on a city with a high VP count, you massively drop war support. And if you drop them on a tile with like 10 tanks or 2000 planes - they all die.

Do you bomb the airfield they’re based in?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Do you bomb the airfield they’re based in?

Yeah, you have to target that tile to hit the planes

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Paradox Tinto has been posting some dev diaries of their new project and it kinda looks like EU5

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-1-february-28th-2024.1625360/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-2-march-6th-2024.1626415/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-3-march-13th-2024.1630154/

It has pops.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its very clearly the new EU game but perhaps they will change the name of the series

In any case, everything about it so far looks very promising

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tinto is Johan's division right? Excited for Magna Mundi II

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its very clearly the new EU game but perhaps they will change the name of the series

There are good arguments for the name change but it's a flagship series so I wouldn't expect that. EU: Rome 2 was called Imperator: Rome because no one cared about EU: Rome and this name wasn't great, it's implied the game is a minor standalone expansion and not a separate product.

Johan might do some trolling and this could be a wider scope game covering all history or something. Unlikely, but people deduced that the screenshots are from the middle of 14th century which feels too early for EU timeframe.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
If they’d called Imperator EU: Rome 2 (which it is/was at release) they would have got much less backlash. Just be real about what the game is this time please.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh wow

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ilitarist posted:

There are good arguments for the name change but it's a flagship series so I wouldn't expect that. EU: Rome 2 was called Imperator: Rome because no one cared about EU: Rome and this name wasn't great, it's implied the game is a minor standalone expansion and not a separate product.

Johan might do some trolling and this could be a wider scope game covering all history or something. Unlikely, but people deduced that the screenshots are from the middle of 14th century which feels too early for EU timeframe.

I mean, expanded scope mods start in the 1350s, it's a bit of a stretch but it could happen.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I guess it's not fair to say it's too early for EU game. It's too early for previous EU games cause they all feature standing armies, global mechanics (like institutions, ages and great powers) and makes consolidation happen too early. Doesn't mean EU5 will have all this. Still it's hard to imagine the game that simulates both, say, era of Timur and era of Napoleon with the same mechanics and not being too abstract.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 14, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, if mid 14th century its in the CK timeframe, but I cant see what else could it be other than the new EU

Is not going to be some game covering all history cause they have Millenia for that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I was going to say that this is obviously EU5, except that they fixed the projection, so all bets are off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The newest dev diary confirms pops, but apparently the player won't be able to directly interact with them.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ilitarist posted:

I guess it's not fair to say it's too early for EU game. It's too early for previous EU games cause they all feature standing armies, global mechanics (like institutions, ages and great powers) and makes consolidation happen too early. Doesn't mean EU5 will have all this. Still it's hard to imagine the game that simulates both, say, era of Timur and era of Napoleon with the same mechanics and not being too abstract.

They might be chopping off a century or so from the end of the EU timeline too. But if it isn't EU5, well, no way it's CK4 either. It would have to something completely new, likely overlapping both CK3 and EU4. And it would probably have to extend significantly into the EU4 timeframe for the Americas and the ocean lanes to be significant. If they did 1337-1648 or something like that for not-EU5, where would that leave an eventual EU5? Not that they can't have two games in the same timeframe, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Staltran posted:

If they did 1337-1648 or something like that for not-EU5, where would that leave an eventual EU5? Not that they can't have two games in the same timeframe, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.

EU5 1337-1648
March of the Eagles 2 Unnamed Title 1649-1835

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Tinto is Johan's division right? Excited for Magna Mundi II

It is yeah. I was (pleasantly, delightedly) surprised to to see them say this:

quote:

Simulation, not Board Game.
Mechanics should feel like they fit together, so that you feel you play in a world, and not abstracted away to give the impression of being a board game.

Surprised mostly because I thought Johan was always the biggest proponent of the "balance mechanics to make it a competitive multiplayer game", but maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they just wanted to lean harder into the sim aspects.

CommonShore posted:

The newest dev diary confirms pops, but apparently the player won't be able to directly interact with them.

Honestly this sounds great to me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Staltran posted:

They might be chopping off a century or so from the end of the EU timeline too. But if it isn't EU5, well, no way it's CK4 either. It would have to something completely new, likely overlapping both CK3 and EU4. And it would probably have to extend significantly into the EU4 timeframe for the Americas and the ocean lanes to be significant. If they did 1337-1648 or something like that for not-EU5, where would that leave an eventual EU5? Not that they can't have two games in the same timeframe, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.
I mentioned it in the EU thread, but Europa Universalis is a much more appropriate name for a 1736-1836 game, given that that is the period where Europe actually starts snowballing in Asia. Make the game heavily focused on warfare, this escalating series of European conflicts to determine who is going to be top dog, and you have a distinct historical and gameplay niche to differentiate it from the more balanced traditional EU-style game and the economy focused Victoria.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

It is yeah. I was (pleasantly, delightedly) surprised to to see them say this:

Surprised mostly because I thought Johan was always the biggest proponent of the "balance mechanics to make it a competitive multiplayer game", but maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they just wanted to lean harder into the sim aspects.

Honestly this sounds great to me.

He has Designer Trauma from Imperator

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
EU3 started in 1399 since In Nomine, and the CK series has some weird hard limits on international diplomacy (smh at not being able to interact much with rulers of other religions, and the limits on negotiating alliances, anyone who has read about the Crusades or the Reconquista knows how involved christian-muslim diplomacy was). Plus, almost nobody plays Crusader Kings into the 14th and 15th centuries, so i don't mind having that era in Europa Universalis.

Hope i don't hype myself for a new Imperator.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Frionnel posted:

Plus, almost nobody plays Crusader Kings into the 14th and 15th centuries, so i don't mind having that era in Europa Universalis.

I think I only did it once and just for sake of it, but by than the game will almost 100% be completely won and pointless

Also all innovations will be discovered and so its like history just stagnates

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also all innovations will be discovered and so its like history just stagnates

I really don't get this part. When I've played it after the release I thought they're going to add endgame in the first DLC, but they never did. Stellaris is similar, you upgrade everything long before the crisis kicks in (at least on standard difficulty) but at least you have this crisis to look forward to, and you can research +5% to energy generation forever. CK3 just stops at 1300 and the real medieval stasis starts.

People say they don't play EU4 till the end and I understand it somewhat. If you survived by 1650 you're probably a major power and are not afraid of anything, lack of danger makes it boring. But nowadays AI can pose at least some end game challenge, and new mechanics like revolutions give you something to look forward to and have a grand showdown. CK3 is made to be perpetually challenging as you're supposed to always have an internal friction (even if you can trivialize it when you get rid of partition) so it could be fun to play till the end game. I don't get it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the default Stellaris world settings are real bad, though they do give you the tools to fix that, by cranking the number of empires up, and either pulling in the mid/end game years or slowing tech down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The early years are the only gameplay that really matters in paradox games, the late game is basically just seeing how much you can run up the score.

It kind of has to be that way - the alternative is being able to lose a run a hundred years in because you've been blobbing too slowly and everyone else has outscaled you, which sounds neither fun nor particularly historical - but it does mean that a lot of mechanics designed for those later years don't really get the chance to shine unless they're useful for someone grinding through the end stages of a world conquest.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if you picked whatever start date you wanted, but then the game would always last 80 years - just seeing how much your nation can accomplish in one human lifetime.

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024
i can't believe they didn't have that demographic system previously.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jabor posted:

It kind of has to be that way - the alternative is being able to lose a run a hundred years in because you've been blobbing too slowly and everyone else has outscaled you, which sounds neither fun nor particularly historical

I dunno if it's particularly ahistorical, this is pretty much how the 19th century went for most countries.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fellblade posted:

If they’d called Imperator EU: Rome 2 (which it is/was at release) they would have got much less backlash. Just be real about what the game is this time please.

I mean as a marketing gimmick it worked. I only bought it because I thought it was going to be different from EU: Rome. What an idiot I was.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frionnel posted:

It has pops.

Could just be majority/minority culture, which would be a hell of a lot more easy to balance mechanics around and compute during gameplay!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enjoy posted:

Could just be majority/minority culture, which would be a hell of a lot more easy to balance mechanics around and compute during gameplay!
What? Have you read the dev diaries because this is clearly not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? Have you read the dev diaries because this is clearly not the case.

I had not