Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Those reviewers where experienced people who played other Paradox series, not entitled fans.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Time to bring back the most engaging mechanic, sliders

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Obliterati posted:

Discrete idea groups could never capture such subtleties. Nations being simultaneously Offensive and Defensive? An affront.

Jokes aside I do like some of the trade-offs EU2 forced on you, or at least that I remember it forcing. Want to be a big early blob? Then you have to be narrowminded, de-emphasize centralization and embrace serfdom or your stability will be garbage and you'll be full of rebels. Want to colonize? Then you have to weaken your army in favor of your navy. Idea groups can do more interesting and flavorful things, but since they're all upside there's a tendency in EU4 to let you both have your cake and eat it. The sliders are far drier but I miss the forced dilemmas in some ways.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Xerophyte posted:

Idea groups can do more interesting and flavorful things, but since they're all upside there's a tendency in EU4 to let you both have your cake and eat it. The sliders are far drier but I miss the forced dilemmas in some ways.

I remember how at some point I've learned enough of EU3 to understand the mechanics enough to never be scared of anything anymore. The illusion broke and it wasn't interesting to play anymore, as most choices become either straightforward with one option being a trap, or irrelevant.

I never got to this point with EU4, even if I created global empires. It does sometimes feel pointless in the end game as the game is "won" and I know whatever goals I set will just require a whole lot of waiting and carpet sieging. But the game never feels solved. I like EU4 approach to bonuses. But indeed, a malus here and there would be nice, nowadays most of the penalties come in form of negative events for idea groups. And there are so many modifiers that only extreme ones feel relevant. I can certainly appreciate the idea of EU4 screen that shows you the country's "build". It sounds like EU5 is going for something like that, Johan publicly acknowledges there was too much modifier stacking in EU4 later on.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, EU needs a good mechanics clean-up for a sequel.

I do hope it doesn't go too hard on the simulation-side, a lot of what I enjoy in EU4 is the more boardgamey aspects of it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm the opposite, in that I lust for more sim elements. Or at least enough to not make things outside of shuffling mans irrelevant/trivial/boring. I will say they're already bringing a bit more to the table than I'd thought in terms of meaningful reboot, which is a promising enough sign.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What’s really important is that they pick a lane and stick to it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Please don't criticize the smol bean publicly traded corporation

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Obliterati posted:

I can't tell if you've read the dev diaries or not.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Farecoal posted:

Please don't criticize the smol bean publicly traded corporation

Said corporation did and still does a lot of awful stuff with their DLC policy, failure to market good games and writing off games and development studios, sometimes before release. But somehow the dominant criticism is sidetrack into discussion of game design decision or that sequels to their games aren't simultaneously exactly the same as previous games and revolutionary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello again Paradox thread.

After getting into a really good place with Victoria 3, I want my next project to be EU4, which I've bounced off many times.

I watched a video on how to "play tall", and I think I've gotten the gist of it:

- look for a province that on good terrain; mountains is bad, plains is good, farmlands is better, because the mana cost of developing them is cheap; the "Local Development Cost" modifier
- as another criteria, among the provinces in nice terrain, look for one whose goods produced/trade good is one of those with a Local Development Cost reduction. I think cotton was one of them.
- failing that, prefer one with a good that's relatively valuable, such as silk, because you will place a Manufactory there later to increase your income from the goods being produced there
- use the Encourage Development Edict on the province's state, to get another Local Development Cost reduction
- look for all sorts of other sources for Local Development Cost reduction, whether through your religion, or an HRE reform, an Idea, and so on

as you stack all of these modifiers, spend your mana on developing the province over and over. This yields lots of benefits for you:

- all points of development yields more trade power (which translates into more income indirectly), more forcelimits, more buildings, and more crownland (do not know what this is yet)
- administrative power yields more income from taxation, and faster construction and recruitment
- diplomatic power yields more income from production, both directly and from more goods being produced
- military power yields more manpower

the idea being that instead of conquering more provinces and getting more income / manpower from the new provinces, you get all of that from the provinces you already have, and since conquering new provinces and integrating them into your nation costs all three types of mana anyway, this is supposed to be some kind of equivalent exchange.

if I got all that right, my follow-up questions would be:

- how do you know when to develop a second province, assuming you have more than one that's a good candidate?

Intuitively, I would think that it might depend on analyzing how much more money (or other benefit) you'd get versus the scaling cost of development:

Lisboa is at 21 development, and it costs 60 mana for the next point of development, which will yield +0.10 gold, that's 0.00167 gold-per-mana
Algarve is at 8 development, and it costs 45 mana for the next point of development, which will yield +0.10 gold, that's 0.00222 gold-per-mana

In that narrow analysis, spending the mana on Algarve would be a better deal

(but I would not, for example, want to develop Beira, which already costs 63 mana for the next point of development, even if it's only at 11 development, because Beira is a Highlands province and is in another state, which doesn't have the Encourage Development Edict)

- how do you know which kind of mana to spend on development?

Intuitively, I would think that it really doesn't matter that much: you simply spend whatever is available, which is going to vary anyway because of your ruler stats, and the biggest determining factor would be whether you need the mana for something else. If I'm close to affording the next level of Diplomatic Technology, then I'll withhold on using Diplo mana for development, because I'm banking it for the research.

___

and I have one last question, which isn't necessarily related to playing tall specifically: how do I know if I'm doing well?

EU4 is something like a 400 year marathon, so while I have a good grip on whether I'm progressing well in Victoria, or Hearts of Iron, I don't really know if that's the case here. If I started a Castile game, is it reasonable for me to use the historical benchmark of "Magellan landed in the Philippines on March 17, 1521, so I should have formed Spain and sent an expedition there by that in-game date"? Is it just that I'll keep aiming to accomplish missions in the Mission Tree?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

First of all note that playing tall is a self-imposed challenge. In vast majority of situations it's more "optimal" to expand - which might mean a lot of things, including vassalization and colonization and trade control. I understand you enjoy the idea of a tall empire though

A good time to develop a second province is when an institution drops. Developing allows you to spawn the new institution and adopt it early.

In terms of development you can develop everything. With infrastructure upgrades you can build several "manufactures" which means that it's not necessary to specialize provinces, you can get both money and manpower from a province. It might be a good idea to spend more diplomatic/production MP on provinces with costly trade goods.

You know if you're doing well if you're having town. With many DLC updated nations mission rewards are very strong and if you follow them you're golden. Without DLCs or with simpler nations you just try to not be in a situation when someone can easily eat you. Generally it's enough to befriend some local powers for that.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You usually don't want to use admin mana to dev, since the taxes generally aren't as valuable as goods produced or manpower. Of course if you're developing for an insitution or an age objective that's a secondary concern.

(You might also want to exploit admin dev. It gives you a nice chunk of money, and (assuming more than 10 total development) lets you develop the province with diplo/mil cheaper.)

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

YF-23 posted:

game works amazingly to represent French feudalism and the further away from France you get the more inaccurate it becomes.

Except, here is why CK sucks so bad: it does not even do that. The only feudalism it has ever portrayed is Westerosi. And then rather than maybe flesh out the real, existent feudal regimes CK3 cannonballed into wacky Old Gods shenanigans. There is still no engaging way to interact with the Pope after two whole sequels, Muslims are equally boring, but by God, you sure can make Finnic paganism into a faith that has a blood-drinking Lady Pope, and gives you material bonuses each time you feed someone to her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Play tall by starting as Florence, doing its missions, and then forming Egypt

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Doesn't Egypt require admin tech 20?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Staltran posted:

Doesn't Egypt require admin tech 20?

maybe? idk it's a good achievement to work for. Get powerful in italy and start loving around in North Africa and make allies and fight the mamluks is a good campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm getting somewhere, having played 20 years so far:

- focused on developing Lisboa at first, while banking Admin power until I could get to Admin Tech 4

- then I started banking Diplo power until I could get to Diplo Tech 4

- when the Renaissance arrived, I continued developing Lisboa until it popped there, but then I couldn't afford to Embrace it yet, so I looked up the Embrace bar and saw that Porto was the next biggest driver of costs. I started developing Porto until it got the Renaissance too, then one more province (Ribatejo) and at that point I could burn the 280 ducats to Embrace it

I think my next move will be to bank Admin power to get to Admin Tech 5, now that I've lifted the tech penalty, and then spend the new Idea group on Quest for the New World (I think?) and see where that takes me.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

As Portugal, you definitely want to make sure you are allied with castille/Spain and focus on getting the carribean asap. The carribean has a major trade node that most of the new world flows through. If you control it, you can direct it to Lisbon and get most of the new world riches - even if you don't control most of the territories.

If you have one of the dlcs, once you get 5 colonies in one colonial zone - as a catholic, you can prevent other catholics from colonizing there, or they do so at significantly slower rates. So getting your hand in as many pots as possible early is ideal.

Once you've got a good colonial empire going the riches should flow in and the only thing you'll need to worry about is keeping your colonies happy. Your alliance with Spain should keep you out of most continental issues except when Spain needs you. But even then, the only major issue Spain is going to run into is france.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

CommonShore posted:

maybe? idk it's a good achievement to work for. Get powerful in italy and start loving around in North Africa and make allies and fight the mamluks is a good campaign.

I actually did that (and Arabian coffee in the same run) and I don't recommend this to anyone, especially to people who try to get into the game.

A lot of achievements ask you to do nonsensical things, but this one requires you to shoot yourself in the foot by making it so that you have more Egyptian development than Italian (or whatever is the specific culture).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think I'm getting somewhere, having played 20 years so far:

- focused on developing Lisboa at first, while banking Admin power until I could get to Admin Tech 4

- then I started banking Diplo power until I could get to Diplo Tech 4

- when the Renaissance arrived, I continued developing Lisboa until it popped there, but then I couldn't afford to Embrace it yet, so I looked up the Embrace bar and saw that Porto was the next biggest driver of costs. I started developing Porto until it got the Renaissance too, then one more province (Ribatejo) and at that point I could burn the 280 ducats to Embrace it

I think my next move will be to bank Admin power to get to Admin Tech 5, now that I've lifted the tech penalty, and then spend the new Idea group on Quest for the New World (I think?) and see where that takes me.

Province development is going to pay for itself handsomely over time but double-seeding an institution isn't really worth it, especially in a country as compact as Portugal. Institutions spread fairly quickly to adjacent provinces, so once you have one in your country it should show up everywhere pretty quick on its own. Especially early on, as the tech penalties for lagging behind in institutions ramp by slowly, by just 1% per year. In this circumstance you'd have wanted to beeline QFTNW and gotten as big a headstart on colonising as possible, basically.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
how playable is EU4 now for someone that hasn't really bought a DLC since Art of War? have they standardized their mechanics roll-out like they did in stellaris, ck3, vic3 and kept the DLC content to more local flavor?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Popoto posted:

how playable is EU4 now for someone that hasn't really bought a DLC since Art of War? have they standardized their mechanics roll-out like they did in stellaris, ck3, vic3 and kept the DLC content to more local flavor?

being able to manipulate development and estates are the only dlc features that are integrated. Otherwise, the only thing EU4 has done is add more and more features and national missions until the game depicts an uncles waistline after a feast.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You could subscribe for a month or two to get all the DLCs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sitting around and doing nothing but developing things is a way to play the game, but it's not really one the game was designed for, and it's going to be a very boring experience. Generally speaking, the way you play "tall" while also engaging in more of the game's systems is to build a trade empire. This means going around and colonizing parts of the world, conquering some key trade provinces, and directing as much trade as possible into a node that you dominate. Portugal can do this decently well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ilitarist posted:

I actually did that (and Arabian coffee in the same run) and I don't recommend this to anyone, especially to people who try to get into the game.

A lot of achievements ask you to do nonsensical things, but this one requires you to shoot yourself in the foot by making it so that you have more Egyptian development than Italian (or whatever is the specific culture).

It was a learning run for me and jolly fun

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sitting around and doing nothing but developing things is a way to play the game, but it's not really one the game was designed for, and it's going to be a very boring experience. Generally speaking, the way you play "tall" while also engaging in more of the game's systems is to build a trade empire. This means going around and colonizing parts of the world, conquering some key trade provinces, and directing as much trade as possible into a node that you dominate. Portugal can do this decently well.

Speaking of, and it's just an idea that randomly popped into my head, but it'd be cool if EU5Project Caesar changed up the trade system so the way you got trade power in distant locales was by actually doing the trading and physically moving the goods. Might be something that would prove infeasible to actually implement (maybe you'd have to do a Distant Worlds style civilian economy which would be a lot) but an interesting thing to think about.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Frionnel posted:

You could subscribe for a month or two to get all the DLCs.

I'd recommend this, it's what I've been doing the past couple of years when I want to play. No issues at all in unsubscribing.

If you're the type that wants to play constantly I guess that's a different matter but EU4 has always been a 'binge for a month then drop for 6' kind of game, I feel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I think I'm starting to get how this is all fitting together:

I had to bank Admin points to get to Admin 5 and unlock my first Idea Group

I unlocked the Exploration Idea so now I have Quest for the New World, which means I need to bank Diplo points to unlock the first stage to be able to hire Explorers/Conquistadors (and the second stage to get +1 Colonists)

but I also want to bank Military points to get to Military 4 so I don't fall too far behind (I'm already at a -15% research discount)

and while I'm at it I might as well bank some Admin points too: I'm "only" at a -5% discount, but Admin 6 unlocks Workshops, which not only accomplishes a mission, but building Workshops to increase production efficiency yields better profits long-term than trying to boost tax revenue via Admin development

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
While military is the hardest to fall behind on, the consequences for doing so can be pretty bad. There are certain techs that give massive morale boosts that really make wars difficult if you're the one without it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I unlocked the first level of QFTNW, hired an explorer and sent him out into the Caribbean. unlocked the second level of OFTNW, and sent the colonist to Cabo Verde, west of Africa. As I understand it, I now need to wait until the colony in Cabo Verde hits 1,000 people to become a full-fledged city, and then that might be enough to carry the colonization range as far as the Caribbean, which I currently cannot reach from my farthest holding in Madeira (The Azores looks closer on the map, but isn't considered the closest because of how the game apparently takes trade-winds into account for colonization range).

I also unlocked Admin 6, and immediately built five Workshops in Salt and Wine provinces: the increase in earnings catapulted my profits high enough to accomplish the Lots of Profits mission, and then combined with the five Temples I'd already built before hand to accomplish the Build Buildings mission right after.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You can recall colonists and deploy them in another empty province (do it after the province changes to your colour). The first colony will still develop, but at a slower pace, and the upkeep increases exponentially with every actively developing colony, but it's often important to lock down critical provinces, just to deny the AI from getting a foothold.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah if you're still trying to work your way across the Atlantic then keep the colonist in your stepping stones to get them filled up ASAP, but once you actually have access to the New World it can be helpful to claim more colonies than you have active colonists just to lock down key high value provinces with a river or natural harbor etc. before the AI can.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

THE BAR posted:

The first colony will still develop, but at a slower pace, and the upkeep increases exponentially

Be aware it's not just a figure of speech, it really does mean exponentially. Every colony above the number of colonists costs more and more. If you have 1 colonist but 3 colonies you pay 16 gold, which will cripple an early game economy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah if you're still trying to work your way across the Atlantic then keep the colonist in your stepping stones to get them filled up ASAP, but once you actually have access to the New World it can be helpful to claim more colonies than you have active colonists just to lock down key high value provinces with a river or natural harbor etc. before the AI can.

Also be aware that you can always send a colonist to a province bordering a started colony, even if it is out of range. The moment the province changes to your colour.

This can be abused by landing a colonist on a strip of coast that's just within range, then recalling the colonist once arrived, and send him to the next province over. Then you can just abandon the original colony. Rinse and repeat to walk your colonist over to wherever you actually want him, as long as you can get there by land (and not get mesed up by migratory tribes along the way). You do obviously want a little army stack to protect against natives.

I have used this to good effect for things like blocking off the Cape from Europeans, as an east Asian tag.

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 8, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've got a spare Vicky 3 steam code, base game only. PM me if you want it (first come first serve)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I fell for the memes and reinstalled Imperator. First time playing since just after launch, this time with the Invicta mode that everyone seems to love and that I know nothing about.

Is there an easy guide to converting to Kemetic as Egypt now (with the DLC, beta patch, and Invicta or Invictus whatever it's called)? I remember at launch it was pretty much just an event choice that you had, looks like it's a decision now with the biggest hurdle being to get 50% of free pops in Alexandria to be Kemetic, but I have no clue how to go about doing that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Find the Move Pops button, move a bunch of Kemetic slaves in, wait for them to promote.

Might have to move some other pops out/build aqueducts to get pop capacity up.

e: And switch the policy on the province (button next to the governor's portrait) if it's set to religious conversion.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2024

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I unlocked the first level of QFTNW, hired an explorer and sent him out into the Caribbean. unlocked the second level of OFTNW, and sent the colonist to Cabo Verde, west of Africa. As I understand it, I now need to wait until the colony in Cabo Verde hits 1,000 people to become a full-fledged city, and then that might be enough to carry the colonization range as far as the Caribbean, which I currently cannot reach from my farthest holding in Madeira (The Azores looks closer on the map, but isn't considered the closest because of how the game apparently takes trade-winds into account for colonization range).

I also unlocked Admin 6, and immediately built five Workshops in Salt and Wine provinces: the increase in earnings catapulted my profits high enough to accomplish the Lots of Profits mission, and then combined with the five Temples I'd already built before hand to accomplish the Build Buildings mission right after.

Once you get into the new world proper, prioritize trade harbors and trade boosting provinces. Press the trade map filter and it'll highlight where they are.

I'd strongly recommend grabbing the Caribbean ones ASAP. You'll have unlimited money from the trade going through it back to Europe eventually.

Doubly so if you can seize Sevilla from Spain :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-7-10th-of-april.1662356/

Sliders are back, everything is a slider.

EUV has restored my ability to feel human