Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

remove it because it's dumb, or make it an edict where you gain unrest for boost to colony growth or something.

Well they can't really remove it, having advertised it as a paid DLC feature, and a recent one at that. People would - rightly, for once - be up in arms about it since it was a selling point that you'd be able to get a new mechanic to improve the colonization game. Replacing it with an edict would be better, but then it's still not a new mechanic but latching on a previous one, and people have paid for that new mechanic. Once again showing how this DLC model is far from perfect...

The game is also about abstraction, of course "expelling minorities" doesn't mean in real life that Mexico get filled with Sunnis or that every single Sunni gets kicked out of Spain, but rather means that the most vocal/pissy minorities are chased out of the country to the CN where they can't do much damage, and the rest "fall in line" which is represented in game by "the province now follows True Faith/have accepted culture"

I'm almost willing to bet that those complaining about this are the same people that complain about having "mana" to do actions :v:

e:

Weebus posted:

You still get faster colonization which is a pretty big deal and it no longer costs mana. Sure it won't be as broken anymore but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. And most importantly we still don't know about all the changes that are going to take place. Maybe it's going to be buffed in other ways. My point is that the feature as it currently exists is Bad and I'll be happy with almost any changes made to it (best case scenario being the feature getting scrapped altogether).

e: someone on the pdx forums suggested disabling it for the ai and that seems like a good compromise. I'm mainly salty about spain and portugal deporting the entire muslim population of north africa to the americas in every single game.

Hmm I don't think so, honestly. Faster colonization is a big deal in the beginning to lock down territory for your first CNs, which is better done by moving up your colonists to new provinces and leaving some provinces without one (and you can't do that with expel minorities since it locks the colonist), also if you turboexpel minorities at the start your CN will be sunni/moroccan (or whatever) as main religion/culture and that's not good.

Expel minorities, in most of my games, is used later on when you start getting heretics in your country, and you'll expel one minority to one CN, another to another one ... at least it's how I always used it.

BTW you can also literally make the entire muslim population of north africa disappear through "culture / religious conversion", that's totally fine for some reason?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Maybe some kind of monopoly simulation could help: if say I'm the Philippines and manage to conquer 90% of the spice-producing provinces in SEA, well I could pretty much set the price instead of being forced to sell them for 3 gold or whatever it is, with some pre-set "desirability" modifier where spices, ivory, tobacco, dyes etc would always be in higher demand than grain, fish, livestock... but overall the more diverse is the ownership of a single trade good, the lower the price should be due to market competition. Would make it worth to try and conquer the most sought after trade goods, and still worth it to get a high share of one single type of good even if it's not the best one.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

I know the market doesn't work on principles of justice and such, but changes like that revolt against the nature of a man. One thing would be raising the price of something in production. I imagine the average person's brain instantly reacts with "those things must have already paid for their development, they should only go down in price". I already own them so it doesn't concern me but I wonder how does this kind of marketing trick affect the reputation and sales.

quote:

They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

E: just to be clear, I agree with the point. Retroactively raising prices on released stuff should be a big no-no especially if your reason for it is "making flavor packs bigger and better".. ok so raise price on the new bigger and better ones

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Soup du Jour posted:

comparatively in their life cycle, CKII was about to release Way of Life at this point in time. CK3 just feels so slow by comparison for tweaking things that aren’t quite working or could be upgraded

Yeah that kinda sucks. Do we have any idea why the DLC fountains seem to have dried up? I mean I know people were "upset" about all the DLCs and PDX said they wanted to consolidate a bit and make a sort of tick/tock of bigger/smaller DLCs, but well...

Actually, on second checking, it seems DLC is coming along as expected, considering they explicitly said they would try to rationalize the amount of DLC they make:

CK3 released in late 2020 and in the following 2 years we got 4 DLCs : 1 actual expansion, Royal court, 2 flavor packs - Northern Lords and Struggle for Iberia - which were nice but not exactly huge amounts of new content (I'll take regional packs, but by God if they take 1 year to release each one aimed at a single country/region, it'll be forever until we have a reasonable number of fleshed-out places), and 1 event pack - Friends and Foes. We know they have another event-pack in the pipeline, Wards and Wardens, and 1 full-sized expansion that should be coming in 2023 but I haven't heard anything solid on the latter, just rumors. Let's assume those, and only those, are both launched by fall this year, which sounds reasonable at this point considering what happend until now - that would make it 6 DLCs (2 expansions, 2 flavor packs, 2 event packs) in around 3 years, at a rate of about 1 dlc every 6 months or so on average.

By comparison CK2 released in early 2012, and by the end of 2014 it had 9 DLCs of varying size, price and content: Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, The Republic, The Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India, Charlemagne and Way of Life. Things slowed down considerably after that and we got 1 dlc every 6 months or so (instead of 1 every 4 months or so) until 2017 and then 1 year to the final DLC in 2018, which doesn't feel too much different from CK3's current pace.

If they keep at it as outlined above, by 2026-2027 when CK3 might be nearing end-of-life it should have 12 DLCs in total, vs the 15 CK2 had in total. Not such a huge difference.

Hopefully this also means that dlc quality keeps consistent, I remember some of the CK2 dlc was silly or useless, there were definitely some DLC that were absolutely worth it and some that were absolutely not on a general level (of course if you dream of roleplaying a hindu dynasty based on caste, well you can't not buy Rajas of India... but everyone else, heh)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

I think the key difference is quality and universality of content. CK2 had a huge issue with expansions being roughly similar in size, so the expansion about adding a whole India had as much in it as an expansion that deepened injury and sickness systems, making those things disproportionally important. CK2 Royal Court expansion is like yer olde expansions that transform the whole game, mostly by adding various bonuses and abilities to cultures as well as all kinds of items. It's as big as 4 expansions for CK2, except it doesn't have broken parts. You may talk about something you feel is missing or some minor things like dumb events, but in CK2 you can write a long list of stuff that should be reworked or removed from the game. I know people play mods and have high tolerance to unfinished stuff and crutches as long as it promises some fantasy behind it. If the fact that Republics are playable in CK2 overshadows the fact that they're terrible then of course this is a game for you.

I seem to remember when reaper's due first came out, it was hell for a while because you would get spammed with every kind of horrible disease, that dlc was fun and really spiced up the game even if the plague was a potential game ender and a typhus outbreak was no joke. Nothing to do with the relatively tame illness system we have in ck3, and part of why it can seem so easy - it's just quite rare to die unexpectedly, which while it makes for more satisfying gameplay (or well, less frustrating) on one side, it also removes some challenge and unpredictability in a game that should thrive in it and being dynasty -based you often don't game over anyway,just get to play the dumb third cousin that somehow survived.

From ck2 I also mostly remember that every dlc added at least some universal mechanics (some more so than others like the one that enabled retinues, conclave and reaper's due, that are now more or less rolled into ck3 default systems), which might also explain why ck3 feels a bit barren: during normal gameplay you won't be interacting a lot with Viking or Iberian struggle stuff unless you play there or really close to it, so really only royal court and the event pack (that honestly is very "light", but also in price at least) are accessible to every playthrough - if you have the dlc - if that makes sense.

I hope with the next real expansion they bring up some new fancy universal mechanics and spruce up the game a bit in general, and then some "flavor packs" or something that allows having more different play styles (republics, hordes, ?)