Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Wait, why did CCP own WoD? While I don't know the current system, hasn't it historically been a fairly non-crunchy RPG? It seems like the complete wrong fit. Paradox wouldn't be much better.

Granted, looser role players have plenty more options these days, and maybe the current version of WoD has abandoned that philosophy. It still seems weird that anybody would want a spreadsheet WoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Big sale at the Paradox store, but, um, is anyone else having trouble getting a payment through? I've tried multiple methods and my payment keeps getting denied.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

I was able to buy something this morning, but now I can't get either Paypal or credit card to work. Opened a support ticket, we'll see what happens.

Good to know that at least it isn't a problem with my account alone, and that PayPal is also broken for others. I got a ticket open too, though I dunno what their support is like on weekends.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

I got a reply. They've apparently got some sort of fraud protection in place that locks out purchases from your account for 24 hours if you fail a payment once. No idea what caused the failure in the first place, though. Kinda silly they don't pop up a message on the order page to let you know what's going on.

Got that response too. They said I'd be locked out until the end of the sale, which I'm not sure if it's true. Either way, that's quite frustrating and might be worth a further complaint. I'm wondering if it's worth it to make another account and gift myself the steam keys, though lord knows that might look fishy to their fraud detection software.

Edit:

Humble Bundle is running more or less the same sale (Although the CKII DLC collection is $10 more. Oh well.)

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2016

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So did Paradox consider that Stellaris might cannibalize HoI sales? Or that the sale they ran last weekend might, as well? I kinda blew my gaming budget on Paradox poo poo already, so I don't plan on getting in on HoI on day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If the game was going to be based on a Roman family, I feel there should probably be some kind of tag-switching mechanism built into the game. The lifetime of a gens was much shorter than that of the empire, especially for any gens that rose to become the imperial family. Almost every dynasty flamed out in a civil war, and the game should encourage that to happen to maintain a historical feel. It would feel stupid and overly-gamey if the player could easily keep the same dynasty going from 31 BC to 475. At the same time, I'd want to play a campaign that covered the sweep of Roman history, so I'd want to jump back in as a different family. Players would probably want to keep playing as the emperor, but one problem that might come from that is they wouldn't be motivated to commit to fighting a civil war, since nothing destabilized the empire as much as a selfishly motivated patrician devoting the state's resources to their own personal interests.

The tag switching should move players to start again as a less-powerful family climbing to the top under the new administration, basically.