Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Victoria III will be released 20 June 2037 for the 200th anniversary of Queen Victoria's coronation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
EU4 taught me that mercantilism boosts your trade power therefore monopolies are good

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
On the other other hand, I will point to this out of context clip where Chris King says "Marxism is Great"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYzxcf_ZL_g&t=1406s

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Apparently Paradox is having Johan spin off into a new studio in Spain?
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1267440940588941314
From RPS (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/01/paradox-have-opened-a-new-studio-focused-on-grand-strategy-games/)

quote:

"I am excited and grateful for this opportunity to build up a new studio in a new location, putting the knowledge accumulated through the decades of building games and development studios into good use,” studio manager Andersson said in today’s announcement. “My goal is to assemble a team and create a fully functional studio to keep on developing the Europa Universalis brand, and later design and develop new grand strategy games."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Imperator's problem is that it can't be a proper EU:R successor because there isn't a Crete 2.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

ThaumPenguin posted:

He also used to be an active goon and made several screenshot let's plays, most notably House Hohenzollern Rising,
:helladid:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
HELL YEAH

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
can we get victoria 3 gangtags now

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
If I wanna play Vicky 2 again what are the good mods

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

DrSunshine posted:

Reading that huge reddit post just screams out to me that the team seems to have done their homework in reading Capital vol. I as a suitable backdrop for simulating this time period. :kimchi:
even King knew the truth

Takanago fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2021

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Wiz posted:

People play our games in China for sure, but the only way we'd ever not get officially banned by the Chinese Government would probably be to remove politics from our games altogether so that's not happening pretty much ever.

imagining a Chinese Edition of Victoria 1/2 that starts with a civilized Qing which instantly breaks the world economy from the very first tick

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Eimi posted:

To go back more to talking about cultural context, something I find interesting is that Cao Cao is very much traditionally seen as the villain, see every Dynasty Warriors ever, but when I read Ro3K and especially watched the tv show, I can't see him as anything but the hero and the perfidious Liu Bei as a lying conman.

Despite ROTK being an extremely Pro-Shu work, the original interpretation of history was pretty Pro-Wei. Because the Jin Dynasty was built on top of the Wei Dynasty, they naturally wanted people to think that the Wei Dynasty was legitimate.

In more modern times though, I often look at things this way:

Wikipedia posted:

After the Communists won the Chinese Civil War in 1949, some people in China thought there might be some similarities between Cao Cao and Mao Zedong. In 1959, Peng Dehuai wrote a letter to Mao, in which he compared himself to Zhang Fei: because Mao Zedong compares himself to Cao Cao, Peng's comparison implied that he had an intuitively confrontational relationship with Mao. Mao had the letter widely circulated in order to make Peng's attitude clear to other Party members, and proceeded to purge Peng, eventually ending Peng's career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao#Cultural_legacy

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I dont have a stake in this argument but didn't the Republic of China also have a red flag

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
TNO basically has you covered

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I:R ended up having some interesting empire-building systems in there, with pop management and such, but the short timeframe and setting meant it was a game where blobbing was mandatory. Slowly consolidating your empire and growing it over time was not an option; trying to go that route would either lead to you being conquered by Rome (who was the best at blobbing) or hitting the end of the game before very much happened at all.

e: Anyway it was doomed because wiz was too busy working on Vicky 3 to do a giant lets play of it

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
PDX games updating on a slower schedule is fine with me. I know my dumb rear end is going to still boot up CK3 or V3 every once in a whole in 2023. At this pace theres less of a chance that they’ll play like current-day EU4 by then

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I’m confident enough that they’ll add that kind of content to CK3 eventually, so long as they dont Imperator it I’m not really in a rush. Maybe that’s just naive faith, but whatever. I’ve got enough games to play so I dont really care if 2024 or 2025 is the year CK gets enough content to really stand out.

Actually speaking of content, I havent played too much of it but I did enjoy playing the elder kings mod for ck3. Its obviously pretty WIP, but I feel like its WIP-ness works kinda decently in CK3’s engine where you can let religion traits do a lot of heavy lifting. I didnt play much ck2 elder kings though so I cant compare directly

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Victoria 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Terra Invicta is a very clunky game but it's also interesting in a way that 99% of games aren't so it balances out.