Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I sunk way too many hours in V2 with NNM. Are there any other mods that are good that aren't total autistic overhauls like PDM? I remember a few that tweaked stuff like politics and whatnot were mentioned in the last thread.

You're playing V2, please don't pretend that you don't like games where autism is a key gameplay mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is it too late to hire on Spike Lee to do the story mode for HoI 4?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While it is easy to pick on PDX forums at times, I do want to say some people are able to have fun on them :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/america-should-have-the-most-handsome-soldiers.884572/#post-20024871

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

A timelapse video of the Black Ice mod for HOI3 that doesn't end quite like how you might expect.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized how goddamn clickbaity that sounds. I'm really sorry, I swear to god I wasn't doing it on purpose. It's an AI-only/observer game that goes off the rails.

Didn't end with the John Cena meme, I'm pretty disappointed.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What determines military power score in Vicky 2? Particularly army score- I feel like mine is always absurdly low compared to other great powers for no reason I can figure out...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

You can mouse over the number and get a breakdown. It's not particularly detailed though, and it won't tip you to the fact that supply spending = mil score.

Can do the same with the industrial score. It always amuses me when London ends up containing more industry than entire other "Great" Powers.

Yeah that's something it doesn't explain well. I see a breakdown of army, navy and leaders...and I kind of knew about the later two, but I didn't realize you had to have your military spending up to get credit for all your brigades.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Vicky-2 question: is there some strategy to consistently move your country to more liberal/social policies? I've done run-throughs as Sweden in the past and I seem to remember getting options to "upgrade" those pretty regularly, but now I'm playing around with Austria and it seems pretty rare. I'm assuming the monarchist government is a big hindrance, but I've lucked out in the past and gotten a chance to move to a Prussian Parliament... but the reforms are still slow to come.

Do I waste national focuses to make the population more liberal? I think I also read that you need to take events that raise militancy because that gets conservatives to vote for reforms?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok I'm still missing something. I put my army supplies and soldier pay up to 100% and 75% (anti-military party in power so that's the best I can do) and my soldiers&army score remains at .066, left it at that spending for a year of game time and still at .066.

That's got to be a bug?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Star posted:

What country are you playing? An army score of .066 sounds really weird, even as a tiny tiny power you should at least be able to get a couple of points unless you are an unciv with only a few irregulars.

Austria. It's definitely weird and makes the game feel extra cheesy as I have to keep console-bumping up my prestige to stay a great power because of this.

I'm running at 30 active brigades at the moment, which for peace time feels like it should at least be in the ballpark of other moderate size nations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

The militancy stuff is really counterintuitive and gamey, and I hope Victoria 3 figures out a better system. Someone suggested that the player needs more incentive to play an ultraconservative bastard, at least in the early game. Reforms should reduce prestige- the less you have to concede to the masses, the better. In the 2nd half of the game, the US begins its rise from a nobody on the world stage to industrial titan, France becomes a Republic again, while von Bismarck builds a welfare state and absolutist Russia starts to look all kinds of hosed up. By that point, things should have begun to swing in the opposite direction a little- reforms become acceptable, just don't go overboard and become communists or anything.

It might be hard to make that pivot intuitive to players...or maybe it'd be too obvious and players would just know when to do A and when to do B. Maybe instead it should be that reforms also increase consciousness or something similar, and if you reform too fast you have both reactionaries rising up as well as newly empowered workers/ethnicities/etc trying to split off from your country? Basically if you don't reform at all you get rebels, if you reform too much you get rebels?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Some other Vicky-2 questions:

1) Is there an appropriate war goal to liberate a region for another country? Greece is constantly starting crisis over territory they want from the Ottomans, and it'd probably be less an issue for me to just conquer it for them without having another great power or two breathing down my neck. I know I could just try to knock them out of great power status, but I figure why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

2) Is there a best strategy to freezing people out of trying to take countries out of your sphere? England has this crazy idea that Egypt should listen to them, and that's not happening if I can prevent it.

3) Is there any drawback to high taxes? Like at least as high as you can while the pops are at least getting their basic needs? Does getting everyone luxury needs do something actually good, or something that's secretly bad, like lowering militancy?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks!

-Is there a screen where you can directly control foreign investment, or is that just something capitalists will do?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 7, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A couple of random thoughts as I keep trudging through my Vicky-2 game.

-Starting to get a feel for how factory subsidies work, and I somewhat enjoy it as another thing to monitor in the overall budget game...although it becomes really weird to watch how factories will use subsidies to turn bad decisions into worse. From what I can tell, if a factory is subsidized, they'll try to grow regardless of actual profitability of their product. Also I don't think there's anything that factors in economies of scale in to factory costs? So if you subsidize a factory where the inputs are getting more expensive than the outputs, they'll still try to grow and expand, and just eat up more subsidies. It'd be nice if you could set better subsidy rules (ex. you'll only subsidize $20/day per factory max, or $60/day per factory type) so if a product type is doing bad, your companies don't just make it worse by trying to flood the market.

-It'd also probably help the AI if bankrupt factories could be re-purchased and re-purposed by other capitalists. Especially a problem if you get stuck with L-F and you can't even destroy bankrupt factories. While it should take time and money, it seems like the game would probably run itself off the rails less often if the AI could re-assess global demands and national plans regularly and realize where everyone's over-built.

-I'm at almost 1880 in my Austria game and the capitalists still haven't built a steel factory in my nation. That just feels silly.

-The election pop-ups are possibly the most annoying part of the game??

-It'd be nice if you could force westernization on a country in your sphere, I think. I guess it'd increase the chance they try to leave your sphere, but you could also get a government that lets you invest in them.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 8, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

At least subsidies won't grow when your factory is full! Unless capitalists decide to upgrade it :shepicide:.
I always thought the AI can re-open factories, plus don't they get destroyed automatically after a certain time of being closed?
If you think the election popups are bad (they're actually great because you can steer your POPs), you should try playing the USA sometime.

They can re-open I think, but if your cement factory closes, either it re-opens as a cement factory or eventually is destroyed. I don't know if they auto-destroy though, I've never been patient enough with an L-F government to see.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Has a crisis in Vicky-2 ever been resolved prior to war with a result other than white peace?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

No military is ever crippled with the power of mobilization!

~~gently caress all of vicky-2's military mechanics by the way~~

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koramei posted:

Defense sounds potentially really tough if someone can just wormhole into the heart of your empire; I wonder if there are countermeasures you can make against them.

I wonder if ships will need supplies like most other armies in Paradox games. I'd assume that'd be the big risk- you launch in to a distant system you can't get supplies to, so either you occupy the existing system to plunder it quickly, or you're going to starve to death.

Maybe.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So am I the only one who hates the Vicky-2 mechanic of mobilizing your poor in to armies? Aside from just feeling kind of gross for sending a bunch of untrained farmers to fight, it turns every war into a long spammy thing well before you get to "Great Wars" in the 1900s. Like I'm pretty sure once you defeated 1-2 opponent professional armies in the 1800s most of the time everyone was ready to settle things?

Also the supply weight jump from Ironclads to Cruisers/Battleships? That's a little nuts.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Westminster System posted:

Most armies were conscript based until the 20th century though. The only professional army in Europe at the outbreak of WW1 was the British one and that lasted one round of trench warfare.

So I guess in a way mobilization is a good way of replicating that, if a flawed one.

I may be salty about a certain european country who was losing to me in Africa and mobilized their entire population to land it on me.

I'm sure they were, but I still think it ends up in the AI just taking wars way too far because it knows it has a billion more brigades it can mobilize , and I kind of think most of the wars you'd want to replicate in the game are short affairs where you lose 3-4 battles, realize it's over, and sue for peace. I mean the Civil War sticks out as a big exception to that, but it is really annoying to watch Europe take every minor complaint Greece has about the Ottomans occupying their land and turning it in to a 3-4 year World War.

Maybe it's just that war-goal costs are way too high, IDK. Or maybe it's just that I always want to play a moderate size nation and manage it's accent into a modern industrial nation, and the wars are just a huge un-fun distraction to that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Actually, mobilisation is amazing, because the AI thinks its pure-infantry conscript stacks can take your regulars in a fair fight, when actually it is more like they are shovelling their dudes into a combine harvester. Ten to one kill ratios are a thing of wonder and beauty.

No but seriously, the real reason mobilisation sucks is because pressing that button gives you a thousand new armies to manage, all of them different sizes, all of them spread out all over the place, none of them with artillery or any of that poo poo and just generally the whole thing is a) not very helpful and b) a major pain in the arse to manage.

Just, loving, stop tying brigades to POPs, give me a unified manpower pool, make the mobilisation button add the conscript MP to the national pool and let me build the brigades the old-fashioned way. Actually no, not the old-fashioned way; with EUIV's army templates.

Yeah, going the route of EU4's manpower pool would solve a bunch of problems like that. Also the "uhhh this brigade was built in the tiny mountain hamlet of burkburkburk and it can't actually support supplying new soldiers. Soz all!"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tomn posted:

To be slightly pedantic about this, both statements aren't entirely true here. The big standout is the Franco-Prussian War, where the French mobilized their reserves slowly because they trusted to the power of their professional army and figured reserves would be handy but wouldn't really stand up in a real fight, while the Germans hinged their entire battleplan on mobilizing fast and hard and striking with overwhelming numbers before the enemy could respond. The Germans turned out to be right about which worked better, and a large part of how WW1 turned out in the early days had to do with everyone being desperate to avoid becoming France in round 2.

Right, but I had gotten the impression that the Prussians were still mobilizing whatever the 1870s equivalent of reservists were? The impression I get of Vicky-2 reserves is just throwing farmers out there with whatever they got.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tomn posted:

The 1870s Prussian equivalent of reserves was "every man of military age." For that matter, the French were beginning to shift to a similar system of universal conscription but hadn't worked out the kinks before the Prussians hit them like a ton of bricks.

As I understand it, the Vicky 2 system isn't supposed to represent just arming a bunch of farmers and throwing them out there without any training whatsoever, they're supposed to represent the section of your civilian population that's also had enough military training to be potentially useful in a fight. That's why various techs increase the mobilization pool available to you as time goes on - it represents governments making more and more of an effort to ensure that they have enough reserves to win a serious contest.

Fair enough, good to learn. Regardless, I still hate Vicky-2's war systems.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Every single feature of Vicky is like, half way fun.

Forming super-nations like Gran Columbia, is 100% fun. But that's the only thing I can think of.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I certainly have no idea how valuable forts were to 1800s army strategy- but I'm guessing less important that in prior centuries- but I'd also probably prefer the EUIV fort defense system for provinces. Then at least I could figure out roughly where people will attack, as opposed to everything feeling like just one open mess of space.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I agree with all of this.

I like how your manpower is tied to population in Vicky - I think one of the coolest things about that game is the non-abstracted population. Each soldier represents an actual person in your country and mobilization puts a serious dent in your industrial power simply because all your farmers/labourers/craftsmen are off at war. I do agree that it's annoying to tie manpower to specific provinces, though - just having them all be in a pool that draws equally from your soldier pops around the country would be a lot easier to deal with, and you wouldn't end up with those stupid brigades that can't reinforce because their home province doesn't have enough soldiers even though you're swimming in available manpower otherwise.

I think the only thing you risk losing is that occasionally parts of your army will rebel if they're part of a ethnic or political movement...although it seems like you could just as easily track that as percents of your standing army and then apply "10% of the army are Czech separatists so 10% of your brigades rebel" and I don't think anyone will feel any poorer about the mechanic.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

The estates system that's going to be implemented into EU4

Wait, can you link something on this? I haven't been following EU4 for a month or 2 now.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

what is Switzerland doing.

Switzerland is doing Switzerland, bitch.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

AUSTRALIA DEMANDS - DANZIG OR WAR, MATE!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

IDK, I'm fine with it being a rule in the game, but I'd rather it not be hard-coded into lua or deeper in the codebase, since I could see alt-history modders wanting that option. And even if the solution is to change one country to a dictatorship, that could be an annoyance in a few different ways.

But also from a historical perspective, I don't think there are really all that many examples of fascist dictatorships declaring war on each other, or communist states doing it, within the game period?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hitler's a bad person and it's very normal for people not to want to identify with him.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The cocoon of irony goons sheath themselves in so they can post cool GBS threads also allows them to play mapgames like a boss :swag: :swag:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Generating quad terrain...hoi3.exe has stopped working...delete mapcache...Generrating quad terrain...hoi3.exe has stopped working...delete mapcache...Generating quad terrain...hoi3.exe has stopped working...delete mapcache...Generating quad terrain...hoi3.exe has stopped working...delete mapcache...Generating quad terrain...hoi3.exe has stopped working...delete mapcache.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

World War 1 is a really hosed up thing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Person posted:

I've been playing Viccy 2 for 5 hours according to Steam. I feel like I've learned a lot, but I've never gotten past 1850. Maybe Portugal is too hard a start? Their literacy is in the toilet at the start.

I think Sweden's a really solid starter country for Vicky 2. You have great literacy meaning you can stay on top of the tech curve and generally start industrializing early. You're on the cusp of great nation status at the start, so you'll be able to start playing with sphereing and so on relatively quickly as either Spain or the Ottomans slip down the ranks. You can either kind of ignore the bloody wars of europe, or decide to jump in and out as things interest you. You also have the nice form-able nation goal of Scandinavia and trying to take Finland back from the evil Russians.

The only thing you kind of lack is an easy opening to Africa, but Arumba just started a Vicky-2 Sweden LP and made his starting moves all about invading Sokoto and Ethiopia so he can get his own colonial empire going...so it's not impossible.

My big lesson from my last V2 play through was that the best quality-of- life cheat is to go change a bunch of your political parties' economic policy to interventionalism. A lot of people talk about how crazy the LF capitalists can get, but state capitalism is really tedious to manage for very long. Also factories are really expensive early on, so it's not a great starting policy if you actually want to industrialize. Interventionism means you can influence factory growth up with national focuses on capitalists, craftsmen and clerks, and you also can subsidize or un-subsidize factories to help keep the economy churning.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

e2: if you let me beta test HOI4 I guarantee 90% of my feedback will consist of screenshots of various stat screens with the caption "Why am I supposed to care about this?"

I'm planning to just copy/paste every post I can find about inaccuracies in the Balkans and send them along.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dibujante posted:

The national focus thing is honestly my most anticipated part of HOI4. HOI was always short on the narrative department after it left the tightly scripted event chains of HOI2/DH/other spinoffs. I think that making HOI into a political sandbox via national focus trees is a really good step towards reintroducing a narrative but not tying it strictly to the same WW2 every time around.

How are you balancing them, though? What are the odds that everyone joins Axis and Hitler leads a coalition of pan-european snuggleship?

Well its sounds like NFs have a 'historical' tag to them, and the player can opt between pure historical (historical NFs always chosen) or 'open' where AI choices are weighted towards historical but they can diverge.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 23, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Person posted:

i learned how to viccy 2

I got involved with some dumb brotherhood wars between Austria and Prussia. Is Prussia always such a wet blanket in this game? I sat back and watched mostly, but occasionally jumped in when Prussia seemed to keep getting caught with their pants down. It was Austria with no allies and Prussia with me. Prussia lost. 3 times.

I like that even with owning all of Africa you're still only #4.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Person posted:

France, who owns jack poo poo outside of three colonies and France itself is #2. USA, who has done literally nothing all game, is #3. GB is naturally #1.

I'm not even sure how to overtake any of them in terms of score, but outside of GB, I am pretty confident I could take any of them on in a fight. Especially if I called in my sphere allies, the Netherlands, Italy and Persia. It seems Prussia has stalled and the NGF will never form. Austria is on the decline too. Russia has lost GP status. This game is so weird, somehow Bavaria is a GP. 7th, at that.

Now that I have colonised the hell out of Africa, what should I be looking to do? I am kind of at a loss at where to go next.

Much like EU4 taught me to hate France, Victoria II taught me to hate England and the US.

Seriously gently caress you America and not needing to get involved in any crisis ever. And gently caress your navy, England. I hope you went for commerce raiders early and blew up the English fleet while they were still making GBS threads out Man O' Wars.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Yup. Also, just because you decide to take France or whoever and flip to fascist doesn't mean things will necessarily go smoothly. Look at Spain, for example...

That'd be a hilarious slap in the player's face- they put all that energy in to doing to switch to Fascism, activate the NF, and immediately have a civil war. Then they somehow lose it, stay a democracy, and get wiped out by Germany even faster than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MilkmanLuke posted:

They had mentioned that in an earlier dev diary. Dynamic civil wars are a thing. If you want Germany led by gay, black Hitler, it's likely to trigger a civil war if you can't get overwhelming support.

Are you suggesting a gay, black Hitler wouldn't get overwhelming support?