Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MilkmanLuke posted:

From Johan's Twitter by way of the HOI4 forum: Screenshots From the Glorious Norwegian People's Republic.

Of note:
-Bloodless coup
-New Flag and leader
-Soviet "volunteers" assisting in the People's invasion of Sweden.

Jizzing my pants.

edit- also the Amelia Earhart article has her not getting lost?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

Have we seen what the generic HoI IV portraits look like yet? It's crazy impressive how many actual painted ones we've seen, even for edge cases like generals for smallish countries or a leader for alternate communist Norway.

Oh wow, the fact that historical flavor events can play out differently is so cool-- it's always been kind of funny to me when some flavor event fires in Victoria 2 or Europa Universalis IV that mysteriously plays out exactly like it did in the real world every single time. I wonder if it's just a coinflip, or if the American player's actions actually affect Earhart's chances of success?

Maybe Podcat just thinks Earhart failed because the Norwegians weren't Communist enough in our timeline :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm glad to see Earth's in the game. But will they get Serbia right this time???

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was tempted to link another "Germany was not the aggressor in WW2" thread from HoI-4, but drat that's weak poo poo compared to the Stellaris stuff.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I will always laugh at that poo poo, feel free to post it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/reasonable-peace-treaty.888432/

These are long but, IMO, worth the read.

quote:

Hey guys..

I was argueing with myself about where to post this for quite long, i wanted to post it in history forum first, but then i thought it might be nice to talk about in hoi4 forum as well, because i would like to know if you guys would think something along this lines to be reasonable in the game.

The topic i want to talk about (which has been discussed in this forums for years now), is the option of great britain accepting a peace with germany 1941 / late 1940.

I often think about alternate history and "what if" scenarios. One of it beeing what if i was the fuhrer 1940.

Thing is, i would probably right away try to make peace with great britain, and gave some thought to a peace treaty.
Eventually, i came up with a treaty, which i think would be impossible for great britain to take down, because i can not imagine why britain would not accept the offer. On the other hand, i would like your opinion on the matter, and would like to know if you think such peace offers should be possible ingame..

Here it comes:

"In Name of the Fuhrer XXX, the greater german empire offers the british empire peace under the following terms:

1. Great Britain accepts german hegemony over germanic Europe (Greater Germany, Skandinavia, Netherland)
2. Great Britain accepts Greater Germanys borders.
3. Germany will release central poland as an sovereign polish state and guarantee its independence and protection of the sowjet union. The released state will have access to one dedicated german trading port.
4. Germany will return occupied french territory to france, elsass lorraine will stay german.
5. Germany will sign a naval fleet aggreement with great britain and refrain from building a navy as long as great britain aknowledges the german empires sphere of influence.
6. Germany will stay out of french politics, france will retain full sovereignity.
7. Germany will sign an non aggression pact with great britain and france.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly.. i dont see a reason for neither germany nor britain not to accept such a peace offer.. i mean, it would have been a win / win for everyone wouldnt it? Germany would have had the option to fight russia all out with its eastern allies afterwards/prepare for the war with russia, while great britain and france would have basically left war with status quo + germany destroying its fleet to ensure britains safety.
On top of that, the united states could have acted as guarantee for germany holding up to its bargains.
In fact i dont see a reason for the need of an never ending exhaustion war with britain.. i really dont see it anywhere. I mean. Releasing a small polish buffer state between sowjet union and german empire wouldnt have been that much of a downer i believe, germany would still have received the corridor, elsass lorraine, denmark and netherlands, enough for pretty borders and ressouces, i´m sure..

quote:

why do we teach people that germany wanted the war? Shouldnt history books not say that britain wanted the war? I mean it just doesnt make sense.
I mean, if there was no option for germany, which clearly won the war 1940, to white peace with britain, shouldnt history depict great britain as the war mongering state instead of germany then?
Great britain & france declared war on germany, germany tried to peace out all the time, britain and france decline, they get beaten, they still decline peace, they get air raided. They complain.

I quite dont get the logic behind it. Germany didnt start the war (only with poland, declaration of war came by britain/france), and tried to end it with reasonable peace offers early on, so why is germany the bad boy in the story? From political point of view (Because of forum rules and.. reasons lets not look at atrocitys).

It just doent appear right to me

quote:

I'm still not sure that Sweden, Norway, and Denmark would all want to become a part of Germany though. Like I said about the annexation of Austria at the Moscow Declarations, no one really wanted Austria to be part of Germany, so I doubt they would also want Scandinavia part of Germany though

Well, denmark was occupied by germany, they lost. So they have nothing to say in that matter, there even have been some supporters of an greater nordic union. Norway and sweden.. well, they were certainly german influence sphere, but "annexing" i think would have been off too, it would have boiled down to something like European union i guess.

But i dont see denmark/netherlands having any say in their independence after declaring war against germany, they basically fought a war, they lost it. No right to argue about losing their territory afterwards. Its the same with germany that lost all of eastern germany in ww2 (east prussia, slesia), and wasnt asked about it.

If you declare war on a country, and you lose, you lose territory.. the thing is, that Britain and Germany were both in war and it was evident, that britain alone couldnt win, so why would it not accept such a favourable peace offer?

I mean, even if we look at it from todays perspective.. i think if britain would have accepted such a thing, it wouldnt have lost its british empire, and britain would be a much more prosperous place today. Instead the world war basically resulted in britain collapsing. Not a good deal if you ask me.

quote:

what a bunch of hitler/nazi germany sympathisers
?
Why would you be a Nazi Sympathiser only because you think that britain was aggressive-anti german oriented?

Its like saying everyone who is glad that russia won in ww2 was/is a stalinist... clearly not the case.

But i admitt, that i hugely regrett that my country lost world war 2. And i also admitt, that i would have supported the war versus poland and that i would have done the same.

However that doesnt mean that you/ i sympathise with nazi germany. I sympathise with my fatherland and would have preferred it, if my country never lost ww2. However i dont say that i think world war 2 was a good thing, nor that invasion of russia was good. Nor do i sympathise with the ideology, since i am monarchist.

Be honest with yourself, if your country was run by an maniac/idiot, would you want to see it go under because of it? Or would you want to "survive" the idiot?

I would want to survive the idiot. That doesnt mean i would have liked the idiot. And if i was born during world war 2, i would have probably died for my country, like millions others, not because i am sympathiser or anything, but because thats what it means to serve your country, no matter what´s the order, since everything else would be treason. And while i would have been up to and supported an military uprising in peace times, and probably helped to bring hitler down during peace, there is no way i would betray my country during times of war and endanger my countrys unity.

Thats what i admitt, and what i stand behind, but that does, in no way represents sympathising with nazi germany or hitler, it just represents you, staying behind your country.

And for the others, since i cant speak for them, i would still question that we have many nazi-sympathisers in this thread, i think instead of sympathising, they simply try to see it from an neutral perspective, since if you look at it the neutral way - why would a country - that seeks a war with another country, and wants to lead the war at all costs, even if it means millions of civil deaths on both sides, and would drag in countless other countrys into war that way, not be considered a "war mongering" state? (im talking about britain).

Also this guy is starting a 'roleplay' group for an HoI playthrough. Shockingly, the position of Furher was already taken by someone before he even posted it up...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry these two are funny too. Same guy.

quote:

And regarding poland..

Poland was a villain state that time, it aggressively attacked more countrys and let more wars during its short lifetime after ww1, then the 2nd German Empire, and tried to attack germany several times pre 1939, always trying to urge france to invade germany, even before hitler came to power.
Check your facts, poland was probably more of an bad boy than germany during that time in terms of foreign policy.

quote:

The issue with poland wasnt the territory per-se by the way, it was that poland was basically "torturing" germany with horrobly high transit-fee´s for train connection/connection between prussia and east prussia..

If poland would have refrained from charging customs/high fees, probably there could have been peaceful solution.

In fact, i believe that the korridor/danzig was far more important than sudetenland/bohemia..

And the other territorys, germany occupied werent "germany" as often depicted, they were occupied, but germany didnt plan annexing those provinces, they were occupied to "prevent" britain to occupy those territorys - strategically occupied so to speak. There was discussion of annexing denmark, but other than that, those occupied provinces would have regained independence.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

More depressing than funny I would say. How can you be so lacking basic self awareness even if you are a massive Nazi shithead?

Wow maybe actually read what he says much? He's not a nazi, he's a monarchist. Like most normal modern Germans.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

They block movement pass adjacent zones.

Also if you siege down a province adjacent to an active fort but don't control the fort, the province will switch back once you leave it.

Also also you usually need to control a nearby fort to get a warscore going.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Literally Hitler rolls off the tongue a lot better than Literally Tojo though, so in that regard I'm glad not to live in the alternate timeline.

'Technically Tojo'

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also I like that he says the tariffs were "Basically Torture", which is juts a hair's breath away from "a holocaust of fees" and I have to think he was going to type that but realized it was against forum rules.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

There is also a sale on crazy historical revisionism as alwaysin the HoI forum. Please pick up a "Hitler did nothing wrong" t-shirt on your way out :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-anschluss-rebutting-paradoxs-holllywood-version-of-wwii-part-i.888908/

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

And still people will complain about the maps in Vampire books :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

a CK-2 style legacy game built around the Vampire the Masquerade story would actually be really good, if incredibly niche.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-31th-development-diary-30th-of-october-2015.889096/

New peace conference mechanics look to be on fleek

edit- oh holy poo poo, Radical Yugoslavia and Legionary Romania. Hahahahha, owns.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Maybe there should be some kind of larger system where the AI sets its desired targets for expansion and won't necessarily claim areas outside those (at first, anyway) but will instead sort of save up warscore influence. So Yugoslavia and Bulgaria don't demand anything from Poland despite contributing to the war effort but in return they expect a larger share of the peace than their war effort would normally allow when you're carving up Albania, Greece, and Turkey, for example. Then after achieving those goals the AI could set new expansion targets so they don't just go dormant for the rest of the game.

Assuming you get to carving up Albania/Greece Turkey.

My suggestion is that allies could trade their peace-deal scores for resources or production allowances. That way Bulgaria can just expand their military themselves and take on Turkey if they want to expand that way.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Can you demand other stuff than territorial changes and puppet status? Like supplies of resources, control of portion of civilian industry (to represent reparations), marking up demilitarized zones (which would stop others from demanding the state), releasing independent (or puppet states), forced disarmament, regime change, transfer of puppets, etc.

I hope this is also part of the conference system at some point- although I imagine inter-ally negotiations may be a difficult thing to overlay on the current system. At least until everyone gets enough experience with this system to think through exactly how to best handle that..

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koramei posted:

What actually happens after the war is over in Hearts of Iron? The peace mechanics look really nice (and I guess they'll feature in smaller wars before the huge one too), but for the giant peace what incentive is there to actually getting really good terms for yourself? Doesn't the game just end like immediately afterwards?

Also how are the casualties having an impact on your contribution going to relate to China? 'Cause they had casualties in the millions but pretty much no say in the peace whatsoever.

I think the incentive might just be nice-map peen. Also lord knows every PDX player turns off the game's end date usually before their first playthrough anyways. There is still the question of if/how the game breaks up the 'big war' in to smaller wars. Like I'm assuming at some point the Axis divides up Poland and France even though England is still alive and kicking.

Also my guess is they'll do a 'cheat' similar to 3 to get around China again. China will technically lose a war and be put in to a non-aggression pact with Japan as a 'separate' war from the overall World War.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

popewiles posted:

Britain's parents shipped him off to military school. Belgium and the Netherlands grew up to build skyscrapers. Germany went to college and became a pediatrician. France played triple A ball and never got to the majors. The USSR got really into the sixities and no one ever saw him again. America grew up and married Wendy Peffercorn; they bought the Five & Dime and they still own it to this day. Switzerland lived to be 199 years old... in human years.

Ok but now can we get an intro to HoI in the vein of The Royal Tenanbaums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DaEOrFgk8

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

HoI4 will have three endings. When you win the war you'll see an event dialog with three color coded options. If you pick red, you try to annihilate the other factions with nuclear weapons, but if you don't have enough VPs you destroy all life on Earth. If you pick blue, you build a superweapon that lets you mind control the other factions by uploading your head of state's brain. If you have enough VPs you can pick green, which lets you forcibly merge your head of state's DNA to everyone on the planet, bringing peace to the world.

No matter which one you pick, the whole planet starves to death because each ending incidentally destroys all forms of transportation.

Also Mussolini, Patton and Seth Green barely escape the shockwave, only to crash land on a new Eden...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

"Corporate Industrialism". That the national value or something? Been a while since I played Vicky 2. Which mod is that? New Nations? PDM?

Their tech focus- gives them a bonus to Corporate Techs and Industrial techs, but a penalty to culture and army (I think)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Puppets and especially spherelings can and will worm their way out of your control, especially if they get a ton of prestige early in the game. It's always a fun game as Prussia when Bavaria becomes a great power.

Despite never moving beyond a conservative monarchy and being at 50% literacy by 1910, my released and sphered Hungry was constantly just at the edge of Great Power status while playing as the South German Confederation. Once they managed to slip in to 8th, immediately became allies with North Germany and England and declared war on me for Croatia. Some friends...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Put it in a patch that allows for soviet super science, British werewolf commandos, and the US to field Literal Navajo windtalkers, whos ancient rituals ward off the Japanese oni-focused offensive.

I am actually going to try my hardest to do a mod that adds Gear Krieg inspired mecha (http://www.dp9.com/gearkrieg) to the game, and they have a few other super-science units like that that might fit.

The problem, I've discovered, is that it's really hard to translate neat super-science stuff to a strategic level. Like German zombie-soldiers have strategic value (no manpower cost for lovely but spammable divisions? Sure), but how do you do rocket-troopers at a division level?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Paratroopers who dont require a plane to to launch an airborn assault.

Give them general mobility bonuses and a combat bonus in hills and mountains, with a matching malus in forests and jungles.

Well the second half of the problem is then coding it, too.

That's generally what I'd like to do, although I'd still need to give them some sort of range limitation on that as well...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

how about a nato icon that looks like a dick?

*podcat starts getting the giant novelty check ready for you*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ImpulseDrive posted:

I think a Gear Krieg update to the game would be pretty interesting to see the effect the various super science weapons would have on the course of the war. Been wanting to see something like that since the first game in the series, but like you the question of how it would fit comes in. From a strategic perspective, what role would the Walkers perform that the Tanks in the game don't already do? I could see Rocket soldiers adding combat bonuses vs. terrain effects.

From the GK world, Walkers would basically be really good light tanks, to over-simplify. GK is really good in that it tries to place mechs in the historical context of a war where there are a lot of new technologies coming in to play and they're all shaky and a little untested at first, and nobody quite knows how to use them.

When you look at the stats and fluff, you see mechs don't eliminate tanks from the ranks of major armies, they just add another thing. Tanks generally stay ahead of mechs early on in main-gun firepower, armor, and fuel efficiency. Mechs though tend to have a higher speed (at least when they fold down in to their 'ground mode') for faster strategic movement, have more agility in difficult terrain than tanks, a much smaller target profile usually, and their arms make them engineering vehicles in a pinch. Mechs tend to have really good performance in urban combat, forests and jungles, and even some mountainous terrain- but they end up being pretty poo poo in the Africa theater because standing a 20 ft. target up on open ground just makes for a pretty easy target. They make sense for a lot of areas Japan fights (despite the lovely infrastructure), would probably help speed up even Italy in fighting in the Balkans/Greece, and make appearances in city sieges that sadly rarely happen in HoI like Stalingrad. They'd also probably be the choice pick for exploitation divisions.

There is something of a gap to this though- DP9 never really got around to finishing the timeline. To me it's clear that the war was supposed to go on longer mech stats closed to something similar to or above a medium/main tank, while tanks pushed more and more in to heavy and super-heavy land-battleship status. Walkers start mounting bazookas and other slightly larger versions of infantry anti-tank weapons to deal with tanks and heavy vehicles, and basically try to do the defense-in-speed strategy american tank-destroyers were supposed to employ. Also, obviously, lasers.

edit- this is the nerdiest thing I've ever written

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 1, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Heavy Gear (same "engine" as GK I think?) had a similar thing where mechs were kinda like zippy / flexible elite heavy infantry but real squishy, and tanks mounted gently caress-off railguns and other things that would wreck anything in a straight-up fight.

BMPs on legs with rollerblades (aka VOTOMS).

Different from Battletech in that regard.

Yep, same engine and same publishing team- and I'd assume mostly the same design team.

I know podcat's most a Dust fan, and it has a way easier ruleset to figure out, but I hate that it does the replace-tanks-with-mechs thing for the most part.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

You can still rename your Ships in HOI4 right? The HMCS Kiss My rear end needs to live on.

I didn't think you could re-name ships in 3?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Groogy posted:

That is the rational way to view it and is also how I view it when I do my purchases. If I see a game with a lot of expansions that adds content I am interested in I first buy the base game, play it, learn it then I go and buy the expansions. I usually am more inclined to buy games with a lot of expansions than those without because I like that I get more potential playtime with a game I enjoy. But I have no idea of how others view it (more than what people say/rant about the subject which isn't really a good statistical base to make opinions on). But I wouldn't be surprised by a person that goes and buys the game and every expansion with it without actually having any experience with the product before hand because of the "complete"-idea some people have.

To be fair, a lot of people also go to forums like this and ask "hey should I buy HoI3/Vicky2/etc" and get responses like "That game's not even playable without expansion X"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

Yeah, you can

Oh cool- I never would have thought to look for renaming on that screen.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SkySteak posted:

Just starting a NNM campaign as Russia in Victoria 2. Given that I played the USA last time which is essentially auto pilot mode, I have a few questions:

1. Should I be rushing to build factories right away or should I hold on. If so, when do I know it is time to actually start construction?

2. Is it a good idea to AI manage all my trade but stockpile certain key resources like canned food and small arms?

3. I heard if the opportunity arises it can be a good idea to snag East Prussia to get educated POPS. Is this actually beneficial.

4. Should I keep to the starting Russia Academia and hoover up starting techs?

5. Finally, what hould I do with my army, it is a bit overwhelming and I am not sure if it needsa composition change or not.

1) I think you want to wait, and it's dependent on getting a few factory-efficency techs and getting your literacy up. Russia starts in single digits, right? I'm assuming as long as the literacy of the states you're putting factories in is good then you're ok. I think usually people say 30% literacy as a threshold? And I'd wait until you're at the second level of factory throughput efficency.

2) I've always left all stockpiles to the AI, but it's because I'm dumb. I think you'd also want to try and keep an eye out for price drops in cement for basic factory building eventually.

3) In terms of getting industrialized and keeping your techs up to date it helps, but I'm assuming there's a penalty because they're not an accepted culture

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chickpea Roar posted:

You should definitely try to build up as big a stockpile as possible of resources used for constructing buildings and units.
Steel, lumber, wood, iron are usually pretty cheap and could be set to 2k early. Machine parts are rare in the early game, so you should start building a stockpile as soon as possible, unless you want to wait years between ordering a factory and starting construction.
The rest like coal, explosives, artillery and other navy/military resources can wait, but there's often a shortage of one of them in the later game when big wars are going on.

I don't know if a Great Power like Russia is going to have a big problem finding resources to the extent of waiting years for materials to start. I agree machine parts can lag, but even then I think it maybe means waiting a few weeks and not years.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chickpea Roar posted:

Yeah, Russia probably shouldn't have a big problem with that. Weird stuff can happen in the later game, though. I had a period of time as a 3rd or 4th great power where the two largest powers where using the entire world's supply of wine for their great war, so I couldn't recruit any dragoons.

Yeah I was thinking about adding that caveat- if you can stockpile before a Great War, even if you're not really involved in it, is probably a good idea. Although the problem with this is I've seen simply massive wars (usually big Prussian wars but prior to the discovery of Great Wars) tank out the world economy for a few years and it's hard to know when that will happen.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm always a little worried posting joke threads to the PDX forums. I think the mods have a pretty good sense of humor, but they have to deal with so many messed up people :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Makes sense- The Monroe Doctrine was all about European interference, we never gave a poo poo about Latin American countries beating each other up, especially in South America once you left the Caribbean coast. US probably would react badly if another country was out-and-out annexed, though.

EDIT: What's the focus called "Pearl Harbor Gambit"?

I really really hope it's an event that lets you fake an attack on your own fleet. Pearl Harbor needs more thrutherism.

(It actually does sound like something that will provide a huge relationship penalty to Japan and maybe trigger them in to declaring war)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

That would be the embargo, but if "Stalin Was Right" will be a thing, so can this.

Well I think the embargo- while it will have some relationship impact obviously- is more about the whole "America has all the resources" thing, and steering global power balances through trade. Or at least that's my hope.

From the looks of the tree, the US doesn't have to join- or more importantly won't look to join- another faction to meet its ideological goals. I think this is a key thing that helps make sense of the peace talk mechanics from last week- Germany can force France and England to the peace table without dealing with America, and America doesn't "lose" immediately just because France and England fell.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

EE: What's "WPA"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration

I'm assuming it's something that helps eventually get your production from sub-par to super-charged by putting people back to work, socialist style

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koramei posted:

Wait are you even allowed to mod during the beta? It seems kinda against the point of finding bugs if you might end up accidentally introducing a bunch of your own when you play it.

e: also keep in mind they said there's like 40 times the number of applicants than there are beta slots. even if a bunch of those are spam/ duplicates or whatever, our odds of getting in are pretty low :(

Speaking of modding though, anyone know how to get in contact with any of Paradox's EU4 artists/ what their policy is towards handing out assets? I've got a bunch of free time again so I wanna take another shot at doing adviser portraits, but keeping them consistent with the game's style is (for me, at least) mad difficult on that small a scale so if I could get the original sizes it would be lovely. Figured I might ask at least :shobon:

On the other hand, a bunch of those applications probably say something like "I'm here to make sure you don't gently caress up Bulgaria like you always do, you can tank me later :smug: "

If you managed to actually sound civil and normal in your application, I suspect you're going to make at least their first few cuts :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My hope for HoI4 will be that it will be more friendly to first time hearts of iron players. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but I've always found Paradox's WW2 games to be their most inaccessible - for whatever reason I've never really been able to get things click as well for me as they do in ck2 or eu4.

On the one hand, I usually think the HoI systems are the most accessible. Build an army, research techs, align to 1 of 3 groups a US high school history class actually managed to teach me about. Once you understand multiple-front attacks and strategic redeployment I think you get most of the unique HoI-3 battle mechanics.

On the other hand, it's a game with a very weird pace. Since virtually everyone does a '36 start, it's several hours of slowly watching the clock tick by, and then suddenly you're in a world war and if you made some mistakes in your army planning (went with poor tech choices, under-built your army or navy or air-force, didn't come up with an appropriate strategic plan) the game can end for you almost immediately.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What will be the worst mod made for HoI-4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm expecting at least 5 mods shortly after launch that all awkwardly try to add money back in to the game as a resource, and all inadvertently break the game because it turns out most of the HoI community doesn't understand what a game is.