Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

itt people rewrite history to pretend ck2 was as bad as stellaris

Most Paradox games are about rewriting history so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The encryption/decryption combat bonus can be pretty significant too. In one of my playthroughs I ignored encryption because I assumed it was a waste like I felt it was in 3...and my fight with Russia was just terrible because of the bonuses they got (along with others).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Riso posted:

What hoi4 needs is notifications when paratroopers or marines land on your territory.

Yeah. Far more important than knowing an invasion is planned, given the AI's tendency to create numerous plans it'll never do.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/looks-like-the-game-is-dying.965251/

Wrap it up 4ailures, HoI is dead. RIP.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Not even the modders can save this one for you, Podcat. How does it feel to see the accumulated filth of all your AI and design foam up about your waist and all the devs and QAs look up and shout "Save us!"... and they'll whisper "no." ?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I suspect HoI4 is doing just fine. Although, IMHO, you can only refight WW2 so many times, and it doesn't play to Paradox's strengths.

Going 2 months out and seeing who's playing it right then and there is maybe the dumbest measurement available...and even being at 10% of userbase 'currently playing' is probably pretty good.

There's maybe a small group of people who will replay a game like a PDX game over and over forever even with the time committment and the fact that you do hit something of a skill cap and experience all the meaningful outcomes....and there's a moderately larger group peple who can really get in to HoI or other PDX games from a multiplayer standpoint to maximize replayability.

But I suspect most people played ~2 serious campaigns at launch, felt they'd gotten the HoI experience, and set it aside for something else. Some went and played a campaign of EU4. Others played an RPG or TF2 or whatever. In a few months when they're feeling burnt out on what they've been recently playing they'll probably pick HoI4 back up and do another campaign.

Things like average # of hours played by owners, user reviews, and looking at the play habits of people who own EU4, CK2, or any other long-form primarily single-player game would be more useful.

BUT if you for some reason have an axe to grind with Paradox because they didn't put oil stockpiles in the game or didn't give you assault guns...then suddenly

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Podcat you are a wonderful troll-

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-development-diary-september-9th-2016.967971/

quote:

As you know our games collect stats and metrics and who doesn't love stats?
12% of players use Nato counters (this jumped a whole percentage when Black ICE and August Storm mods released)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

That's not a troll.

This is a troll

hahahaah

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

Companies like Paradox make me appreciate those like CD Projekt Red even more where they say "we will release it when it is ready and not a moment too soon".

In the end you may end up with a bad game, but at least the consumer wouldn't feel cheated by what's clearly an unfinished product.
People paid good money for this and %90 of us have mostly only gotten frustration and wasted many hours typing the flaws we are unhappy with in the forums.

I haven't played HoI4 for the last 3 months and I barely could stand playing for the first month I got it.
All of its flaws aside, the game is just boring and unchallenging when compared to HoI2, AoD, DH, HoI3 BICE etc. which is its biggest sin.

I've been playing HoI series regularly for more than 10 years and (I know this is an unpopular opinion) for me this game is simply the worst one yet. Though ironically I believe the best selling.

I just can't accept the argument that the community should save this game. It's the company's responsibility to provide us with a finished product, even a bad one, for us to mobilise and try to save it. But PDS didn't release this as an early access game, they released as a full game at a full price. The only reason why the community is trying to make something palpable out of this game is because of their loyalty to the legacy of the previous games.

I've just lost all confidence in PDS's ability to release a finished game for the price they're asking for.

Fool me once (HoI3) shame on you, fool me twice (HoI4) shame on me. It won't happen a third time I promise you.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I never got into the witcher 2 because the tutorial bugged out both times I tried it :shrug:

It probably detected that you worked for an inferior, humanity-destroying company and decided to revoke your privilege to play a truly complete game.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm going to guess that the community project to 'fix' HOI4 he's talking about is BlackIce?

Probably. Just one of many great posts from a general complaining thread.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fight! Fight! A witcher and a knight!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

V3 is going to have to be the best game ever to overcome my sadness

same.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

@podcat

I think its time we admit that the lack of a OOB, mini-map, and simplified terrain map mode, as well as the "sand box" nature you wanted to cultivate...was a bad choice.

Not a single day goes by that you dont get one of these posts with an overwelming majority of agreement. Its been 3 straight months since release, and its been 8 months straight of people saying this on forum before release.

Please. Please. Admit you picked a bad direction for this game, and its not what the fans wanted. Its not an even split, or within the margin of error, its a majority of your customer base. This isnt the game we wanted. There isnt some large group of players who are shouting "No, I really like that Greece conquers Berlin!!". Thats not the game we wanted.

Its a great game. Dont get me wrong, and itll get better, but this isnt what the fans of the series really wanted. I think you guys need to accept this, and shift your development plans in the future, towards an understanding of this.

The AI needs the most work, first and foremost (probably over the next few patches infact) and then we need (I hate to suggest we PAY for things that should already exist in the game) a DLC that focuses on bringing us up to snuff with HOI3. Not focused on the air, or sea, or politics, but a broad DLC that gets us to a functioning and enjoyable level, so that this game can provide a base for DLCs as good as For the Motherland or Their Finest Hour.

Thank you for your hard work, and I hope this ship can be bailed before it sinks.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm going to say he had an Imperial Germany or Confederate flag avatar.

Usually a good guess, but sadly nope

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Also what's the best way to increase population in Sweden and make it a great power ASAP?

Getting to GP status is probably the first thing to focus on. Any events- take whatever gives you the most prestige. Sweden starts with good literacy but not a huge income, so getting GP through industrialization will take a bit because I think it'd take time to get a liberal government in and even then you'd still be pressed to afford factories. Maybe a handful of Man O' Wars?

Once you get GP status though, your fastest way to grow is to form Scandinavia- get Norway and Denmark in your sphere ASAP and you're good. Finland can be tricky because in the base game there's like 1 province in South Finland that's got a messed up core- so forcing a crisis sometimes doesn't work. You can wait for Germany to go to war with Russia though and maybe jump in to claim Finland.

After that, I don't know if there's any great pop growth tricks. Sweden/Scandanavia is pretty progressive, so the government/social policies will improve immigration- but the game's systems are heavily weighted to push migration to America. Colonization is the next obvious option.

I'm blanking on the covert actions features of Vicky2. Is there a way to flip USA to non-democratic? That might offset the US's bonuses to immigration, which would result in you getting a bigger piece of that pie.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Get ready to constantly fight Germany/NGF over Holstein if you form Scandinavia. Your best bet is to ally with France and demolish Prussia ASAP, after which point you can do anything you want - Carve Russia into pretty states, draw a giant dick using Russian territories (I personally recommend Belarus for the testicles), colonize Africa.

I thought you could avoid a conflict over Holstein? I'm pretty sure in HoD at least Holstein was not a province required to form Scandinavia?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think It's required but it starts under Denmark's control so it's yours when you annex them via the Scandinavia decision.

Couldn't you just release it?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Enjoy posted:

- Austria-Hungary, after losing every war

:(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Pleased to inform the thread that as of today there is one more goon working at paradox.

Which title are you in charge of dumbing down for filthy casuals?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Hoi 4, so most of the work is already done :haw:

:smugdon:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

I have a history degree and the most popular content mod for hoi 4 at the time, the other guy they hired studied English and history too. Can not comment on the impact of hats.

The one to add the REAL nazi flag in to the game?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

double nine posted:

Is Tyranny going to be real time with pause like Pillars was? 'Cause I'm not interested if that's the case.

It's real time with pause- I think they're borrowing most of what they developed for Pillars...

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/06/29/dev-diary-5-combat/

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm going to end up waiting as well- I feel like I have a backlog of these homage RPGs to get through, and I still have barely started Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is the Pop demand mod interesting/not terrible for V2? I'm probably looking to play another campaign soon and trying to decide if I should add mods.