Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pretty sure it will be moddable, this is Paradox we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The only thing I don't like about CS is that some regions are awful for development because of terrain, mostly it's mountains loving everything up but I feel like the distinction between mountains, highlands and hills isn't used very much (see f.e. Persia being basically all mountains and deserts with a few drylands provinces, most of which are in historically less-population regions)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

"Long 19th Century 3" isn't a very catchy title though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yessss I am going to be so many Marxist-Anarchist Lizardpeople

E:

No really this is the most excited I've been about a new game release in ages, don't gently caress this up PI!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 19, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I assume that planet tiles going to basically be the game's baronies, where you care when you're a tiny babby empire but later on they will just do their own poo poo and things will work out.

Empress Theonora posted:

q. what kind of support will stellaris provide for F U L L C O M M U N I S M

This is the most important question, if I can't have a culture that doesn't understand the concept of private ownership then GAME RUINED :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's literally the exact thing I was talking about so I'm not sure if you just missed my post or something? And yeah when I say 'ship design is lovely garbage' I'm referring to every single space 4x game that exists currently, not saying it can't be decent with a good implementation or it will be bad even in Stellaris. But considering the history of the feature as being terrible and the fact that we have literally nothing to go on other than 'this feature is in the game' I think it's pretty reasonable for anyone to be worried about it until we hear more.

The reason that they traditionally suck is that they come at it way too hard from a simulationist perspective, where really all you need is ways to make interesting decisions about their capabilities in combat. I always liked the designer from SMAC since it was literally just choosing your attack/defense/movement and a couple of special abilities for each unit, I don't see why anything substantially more complex than that is needed for a game with automated combat.

Dirk the Average posted:

I actually like Sword of the Stars style ship design. It restricts how much you can put on a given hull, sure, but ship design is simple and easy - choose a role, choose a hull, fill slots, done.

I haven't played SotS but this sounds just dandy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The only time in a game where I unironically enjoyed finding the perfect way to jam more guns and bits inside a chassis was Mechwarrior 2, and that's mostly because the premade mechs were so bad that you had a huge incentive to start tinkering with them.

Darkrenown posted:

Pretty sure you can go full commie in space. I only play space-nazis though so I haven't really checked :shrug:
Being 100% serious here I will be a little sad if there isn't some exploration of post/noncapitalist social organisation in the game. Due to obvious parallels with European history these kinds of games tend to trend towards having you form awful, militarised space empires that enrich themselves from the material wealth of the colonies. The selection of some of the ethos traits has me very optimistic that a pacifistic / non-explotative playstyle may be possible. It would be neat if I could get a "you win" screen in this type of game without thinking that I probably made the universe a pretty lovely place for a lot of people (again SMAC was the best ever for this, even if it was hard to be 100% peaceful you could definitely play with an aim towards being more or less objectively good for the future of humanity, and without having to do anything awful)

Darkrenown posted:

You gotta wait for the ship design DD, but I think you will be fairly happy.
:getin:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Westminster System posted:

I too find building sea defences and flooding the planet a la SMAC to be objectively good.

I mean, I didn't melt the Ice Caps, I was just prepared.

gently caress you, Morgan :argh:

- Deirdre

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was kind of maybe considering picking up HoI4 even though I hated the previous HoI games, Stellaris has basically shot that down for good though. I'm way too hyped about potential space empires (and never playing humans because some people need to balance it out)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

The bolded bothers me and the bolded italicized scares me. Needing to juggle leaders and having opportunity cost for having governors or admirals feels like an outdated train of thought to me. When in history has someone said "well the Pacific fleet can have an admiral OR we can put a governor in the Phillipines, but not both"?!?

The time in history that happened was when someone was making a game with meaningful decisions with opportunity costs.

I mean, it could suck but this is clearly a gameplay-influenced decision so you don't have gigantic numbers of characters in large / late game empires.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also if you siege down a province adjacent to an active fort but don't control the fort, the province will switch back once you leave it.

Also also you usually need to control a nearby fort to get a warscore going.

This reminds me, I think Wiz posted about new fort ZoC rules in 1.14, have they discussed any details yet? I assume this is going to be making it somewhat more inutitive so you don't have guys just waltzing through your forts half the time in the HRE.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is there a vermin race? If not, why isn't there one?

Reminder that the broad category that humans are a part of is "mammalian" so I guess that's why not.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think that Darklands is the oldest game that I still play (unless you count Tetris derivatives) and I can't think of any other game that fits that niche. Even now it's a pretty drat fun and good game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so, thread title: has there been any news about V3

It's called Stellaris and it looks p good

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think it would definitely be more fun for continued research on an anomaly or object to be possible, with some kind of system in place to encourage exploring and researching new poo poo over sitting at home with your old junk, but making it so that you will always eventually be able to find out everything about an anomaly and get the best result would also be silly. As long as the sorts of bonuses we're talking about aren't huge, unique empire-wide modifiers then missing out on things seems OK to me and I would be satisfied with only having one shot at every anomaly if there are enough around that I don't feel like the occasional failure is hugely damaging, especially as it sounds like most of them will be along the lines of "a thing happens but less good than the best thing" - hopefully blowing up a ship or destroying planets will be rare in the same way that popping a goody hut in a Civ game and getting a loving assload of barbarians is an unlucky but rare and usually game-defining event.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

It's worth pointing out that EU4 itself has tried to eliminate as many opaque random chances as possible that existed from EU3. Remember missionaries in EU3? You placed your missionary and it had a tiny chance every month of converting the province. It could randomly pop two months later, or you could be waiting 200 years. That may have been more realistic but it really wasn't better gameplay in any way than the EU4 system.

It was much worse than that originally, you had missionaries that regenerated at a fixed rate much like how diplomats etc. used to work and you would fire off a missionary for a fixed cost which would then immediately either convert or fail to convert the province on arrival. If you got unlucky you could spend decades worth of missionaries on a single province.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

For some reason space based actual boardgames trip my "too groggy" switch extremely hard, that makes me feel as though this isn't a bad thing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I haven't read the Supply DD enough to really think it over, but the fact that it's pissing off a ton of PDX forum regulars tells me it's probably a good design.

This was my immediate reaction as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

If it sucks, I look forward to the whole system being redone in mid 2017.

This was my exact initial response. "Sounds bad but they will rework it in 9-12 months if it's actually crap so who cares". I mean, I think stuff like that about a lot of game development decisions but Paradox are the only guys who seem to care about going back and fixing things that obviously don't work that great.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think making Stellaris into an actual good game will be groundbreaking enough for the genre if they manage it, no need to do anything fancy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This actually sounds really fun, I'm impressed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Paradox DLC isn't really like DLC, it's more like paid patches / expansions that you get most of the content for free anyway if you don't pay.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

FWS Courageous Plumage :3:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just realised that there will be some really fun potential for co-op MP scenarios, something which never really worked in EU for a whole lot of reasons.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I didn't like when SMAC did it but that was mostly because of how RNG hosed you could get by not getting the option to get crucial techs due to lacking prerequisites, hopefully that sort of thing will be avoided.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Didn't you have to turn it on? I remember random being the default.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the random tech selection was the default.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Grizzwold posted:

This DD has me wondering about how two empires are gonna interact if there's a primitive planet in a border region or something. Like, what happens if you have an observation post set up, are doing an infiltration mission and then some jerks with too many appendages try to conquer the planet? Can you intervene?

I never knew I wanted a galactic cold war simulator so much until this moment.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This DD said somewhere or possibly in a later dev post that non-interstellar cultures do develop but the timescales involved means that it's going to be rare that new spacefearing civilizations appear, though it will be possible.

E:FB

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love it if we can pick which side to play as in an empire-shattering event. I'd love to play as the new robot empire, or choose between uploaded minds or meat bags. Or even if a few of my colonies rebel would be fun to switch to them if their culture/ethos/genes are better and you want to see them replace your stagnant dominant power.

In most paradox games tag-switching is as easy as a quick console command and they often let you play as newly released nations, I hope the tradition continues in Stellaris.
If I can't choose to spearhead the progression of my species into a new age of enlightened self improvement then the feature kind of sucks; I'm fairly sure that they will let you do this.

E:

quote:

Everybody's favorite game director Doomdark will post the next Dev Diary on January 4th, and it will be about Fallen Empires. That's the plan, at least!
This one is going to be pretty big, I guess.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 21, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was more referring to the fact that if some kind of post-species revolt happens in a distant part of my empire I would like to option to play as them if I think they look cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

I continued my game, got in a colonial war with France, and then a large, framed map of Africa crashed down from my wall, directly striking the power cord for my desktop and pulling it from the wall. This ended the war.

W- was Africa OK? :ohdear:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Can't wait to be the Space Barbarians plundering Space Rome and setting up shop in the ashes of their ages-old empire :hist101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

Wasn't that fanatical collectivist that had the slavery stuff? I read that as being an option for like hivemind species.

Yes and the game isn't even in beta yet, cool your jets bros.

I had actually thought the exact same thing and it wouldn't be that weird even for a company as cool as Paradox to accidentally whitewash Communism into necessarily being a totalitarian Soviet-style state but let's at least give them a chance before getting all buthurt over my utopias :frogbon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They're literally Space Rome, when did Rome ever see a new culture and not either gently caress them up or culturally subsume them (or attempt but fail to do one of those things)?

This whole discussion has made me realise how badly we need a Paradox Late Antiquity game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah SMAC is basically the gold standard for me when it comes to this kind of thing, it's weird how that mechanic fitted a future setting so much better than it did the Civ series' historical one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Haven't they actually said already that it is a design goal for Stellaris that you will be able to play a mostly non-violent game? Obviously you need a military for self defence.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Every time there is a HoI4 dev diary about something other than actually moving your armies around and fighting I get super excited, then I remember that it's a WW2 game and therefore a large portion of the map is going to be permanently at war for most of the game. Why did EvW have to be so bad :negative:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yall are going to have to tell me who those kicking rad warpainted bird / pterodactyl dudes are because they look like they know how to gently caress

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

(Gaian) mind worms or bust!

:yeah:

Deirdre was always my favourite, I just wish that it was more viable to work xenofungus tiles. You can make it work, but way deep in the tech tree when it no longer matters and you already did a ton of terraforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Those sims are relatively simple because all the combatants have relative technological parity.

In EU4 different compositions barely matter because of the level of abstraction. You can allocate slightly more cav or slightly more infantry, and pick between perhaps two generals. There may be an idea group involved. Why watch those battles?

If you want different races with different FTL drives, different weapons techs, different shield techs, etc to be able to face off against each other, then the extra depth / complexity is needed. Think of it like this: This is the framework you need if you don't want boring, pointless battles like in CK2 or EU4 and get stuff that you might actually watch. It needs a certain amount of differences between the units, and this system allows for that.

Much like many other good things EU:R tried to do this but from what I remember it didn't work that well and you usually just got as much heavy infantry as you could afford with a bit of cavalry on the side. Combat events were a fun idea too! And the pop system was arguably the precursor to the base tax / production / manpower system EU4 now has.

What I'm saying is where's my loving Senate / Parliament / Council / etc. in EU4 Wiz :argh: