Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I predict it was development crunch and other reasons, but Victoria 2 having jack unique events or decisions for most nations at launch mirrors this design philosophy. You don't want to wave the "that could never happen stick" by cutting off options or making ridiculous feats require ridiculous challenge.

With the exception of the HoI series Paradox games don't have a meaningful amount of nation specific content when they come out, it's all been added in later patches, V3 isn't unusual in this respect (although it was even more threadbare than I was expecting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Sure are - and it's been that way since the '90s!

I refuse to forgive them until we get a Darklands sequel :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Someone remind me what time of day Paradox usually drop their patches on Steam, I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a Paradox patch more than tomorrow's V3 patch

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It is yeah. I was (pleasantly, delightedly) surprised to to see them say this:

Surprised mostly because I thought Johan was always the biggest proponent of the "balance mechanics to make it a competitive multiplayer game", but maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they just wanted to lean harder into the sim aspects.

Honestly this sounds great to me.

He has Designer Trauma from Imperator

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Important gameplay concept which you might have not realised because it's weird:

Goods in V3 don't need to be specifically bought or sold to generate value, all goods which are produced will be consumed, even if the total amount of demand (i.e. buy orders) in your market is below the sell orders. Similarly all goods which are inputs to a building will be purchased, even if the total number of sell orders in the market is below the input amount. The difference between buy and sell orders is what generates the local and market prices, but you can never have a shortage or surplus of goods, except where you have more than 2x the number of buy orders as sell orders, in which case you get a penalty to output (the building still works though, and can work with literally zero inputs)

So you don't necessarily need to export a surplus of raw resources in order to generate value from them, because that surplus will result in your industries which require those resources being more profitable; but equally, exporting wood and iron can be excellent ways of making a lot of money under the right circumstances, you don't necessarily have to have a full supply chain within your own country. In particular, this sort of strategy can let you efficiently focus certain techs; for example if you have ample coal, iron and sulphur resources available, then going hard on the mining and explosives techs and running an export-heavy economy can be very viable. Companies also work well with this sort of approach.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Did Victoria 2 have discrete units of goods that had to be bought and sold?

It did, but it also had the global market which was like a massive clearing house for stuff which wasn't used for your own market, and it had unrestricted price ranges so things always sold eventually

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I say it every time this topic comes up but making a game which covers the exact time period of Imperator is really difficult because it needs to have tiny city states, barely cohesive tribal entities, and massive empires covering most of Europe and / or the Middle East and making playing all of those fun. The map setup for Imperator is extremely hostile towards compelling gameplay without a huge amount of extra work to fix this problem.

I always thought that a Classical Greece period Paradox game would be amazing, with the Achemenid empire being a non-playable faction, but I guess a major portion of the people interested in classical antiquity are in it primarily for Rome and Carthage so I can understand why these games always have to be set during the Hellenic period or later

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Armenia, my beloved

This is a pretty good shout, I also like Scythia and the Bosporan Kingdom. The caucasus / black sea region is the most fun to play in IMO.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Every possible Roman successor state should be called Rome, including Wales

I absolutely love that there are Welsh king lists which start have a bunch of random nonsensical Latin titles as people's names in the "30+ generations ago" section, because people remembered that those things were associated with powerful people but the meaning of the words were totally lost.

They also have poo poo like kings being descended from Julius Caesar and / or Jesus :v:

p.s. sliders bad don't do sliders. Discrete options with major differences between them are just more interesting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Given the various announcements this week I am guessing that someone managed to convince the money guys at Paradox that pushing out games / DLC way too early isn't a great business strategy

Prison Architech 2 delayed 4 months

CS2 refunding the latest DLC and making it into a free download

V3 1.7 / SoI delayed 7 weeks

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 19, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Imperator's start date is a weakness too, i feel, because Egypt, the Seleucids, the Antigonids and Mauryas already feel like end game empires. Being around them is daunting. These games work better when you start small or middle sized and work your way up.

Yeah, as fun as "the Diadochi wars might go differently every game!" might seem from a design perspective, having a map with a few gigantic empires and everything else is barely a city state isn't great for giving a lot of interesting options. In retrospect the EU: Rome start date was probably a better choice.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Great job! The Mamluks are insanely fun in EU4, if you like the vassal game.

They're a bit too strong even for a first game IMO, I think Bengal is a better choice (India is generally a great place to learn the importance of diplomacy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Oh I don't know if they've played EU4 before. The Indian Thunderdome can be a handful as a first experience.

Losing because you got Thunderdomed is a great way to learn!