Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Koramei posted:

What the hell, I can't :psyduck: harder at the model hate going on here about CK3. The 2D portraits in CK2 are hideous, they were straight up the major reason I didn't play more of that game.

Thats a bit :psyduck: too

CK2 portraits were fine but I like the models in CK3 better, after I got used to them (and also they were improved a lot). They look great and are better to show your character aging, and genetic traits going on over generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive been thinking to get back to Stellaris for a while (I never went very far on it) but Im so many DLCs behind it would probably be very expensive

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I believe any information we have in CK3 we also had in CK2, its just that it was scattered all over the place in multiple screens, and the ledger and what not

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That was a problem in CK2 too, but yeah, is worst in CK3

Firstly because in CK3 the AI is much more passive. Theres always that dangerous stage when you are still growing but have big, stronger neighbors that can attack you and wreck you poo poo at any time. But in CK3 they will rarely do it, while in CK2 it was much more common. So you get to that established stage sooner and easier

Second because, once you learn about the good lifestyle perks, you can very easily keep your vassals friendly and/or too scared of you to try anything. So internal politics are a non issue most of the time

Third because, if all else fails, if you know how to use MaA you are unbeatable anyway

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

THE BAR posted:

Not really, you can build whatever and still mercilessly beat the game.

The META is about stacking men-at-arms modifiers, like putting down Barracks everywhere and using nothing but heavy infantry.

Varangian vets with 250 attack mowing down stacks 10x their size

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
EU5?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anno posted:

That would definitely make me more excited but yeah I don’t understand how that crossover works lol

More details/screenshots on the HBS game.

Seems interesting.

I love the combat in Battletech, I think is one the best tactical turn based systems out there. Though I never finished the game because everything outside the tactical combat is kinda uninspired and gets really boring after a while (and the combat itself gets repetitive, but that mostly for because of the lack of variety in maps and mission goals)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Randallteal posted:

I don't know if cutting these would actually lead to more content getting made in other areas, but I'm starting to think the events packs they've been putting out for Stellaris and CK3 are largely a waste of time. The stories and writing are usually good (especially for the Stellaris packs) but adding a hundred or even a thousand conditional events to a game doesn't have the impact it feels like it should when they're blended into a giant pool of events that you've already seen a million times. I've seen people asking for more flavor events in Vicky 3 and I honestly don't get what it adds to have a pop-up with a paragraph that could be from Wikipedia telling you about the Young Turks or Wilhelm II's underdeveloped arm or whatever. These games should mostly focus on mechanics that create stories instead of prewritten event chains IMO.

Agree. The interesting “events” are stuff which happens organically within your game, not prescripted little stories that might be funny the first time you see them but anyway are little more than flipping a chance card in monopoly

I still do want more regional flavor too though, but not events, stuff like different government systems, different culture innovations, different lifestyle perks, stuff like that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 20, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alchenar posted:

I think what sets Paradox games apart is that expansion is not necessarily the end goal, and in many games is often discouraged.

You can say the same about Civ 5

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Terra Invicta is definitely on my radar but I’m waiting for it to be proper finished and released

Also get on a sale cause it’s pretty expensive right now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

We have nearly zero info about the new game, except that it might be set (start?) in an age even before Imperator Crusader Kings, the series set second furthest back in time. The text may be a reference to a civ-style advancing through all ages, or it might simply tell you that the game starts in the neolithic age or something. And even then, you do advance through the ages in CK, EU or Victoria, even if those age don't encompass the entire human history. So maybe in the new game, you start with stone tools, and end with bronze weapons. That would fit other Paradox games, but wouldn't be a civ clone.

That’s pretty much Oldworld

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im cautiously excited

Im all in favor of another civ-like cause Civ needs competition and the last attempts at this have been so-so. And this one seems to bring some interesting new ideas

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That’s looking great

I’m also relieved the game don’t have a “CK layer”, like Oldworld, when I heard paradox was doing a civ-like I thought they’re were going that route for sure. Even though it seemed an interesting idea at first , it didn’t worked so well in Oldworld imo and ended up being my least favorite part of the game

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 24, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its interesting idea in theory, I just dont think it worked in practice

For me it felt like playing 2 parallel games at the same time, and the CK-lite layer only distracted from the good 4X underneath it.

And the CK-lite layer itself is kinda meh, I never managed to care about my ruler (who will die from some random reasons every 3 or 4 turns anyway) or their families, and actually the whole faction/family thing makes little sense when the player is building and managing every city like in any 4X

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It worked for some things, like having characters for positions like diplomat and spy and etc. Thats cool

But all those character events started to get tiring for me very soon. "oh again this same education event for a generic son I cant even remember the name. just choose whatever, next turn he will die or not or that dynasty will lose power to dynasty B and the whole thing will not matter anyway, just let me go back to my builders please".

And keeping the families satisfied was very annoying, what I do even have to care about this when in practice Im really playing eternal god-emperor like in Civ and not really an specific character or family like in CK. Just meant a whole clickfest of repeating these and those actions and shuffling resources around every time a ruler dies, which happens very often

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 24, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

It's all right, I know what you mean. I don't "get" Crusader Kings even though I played a lot of it, I don't feel anything about the characters. I like simpler character systems like in Imperator or Victoria 3. There characters are believable wrenches in the mechanism of your country and little more than that, their stories are simple and to the point and presented at high level, and this makes them more memorable to me. Old World has a good balance I think, I never felt like I'm missing fun for not treating characters like a roleplaying meat of the game. They're there as a math problem with a face on it.

I do like CK, though, is my favorite game, But perhaps its because in CK I do care about my family and characters and the whole role playing and internal politics thing, it works there.

In Oldworld this part its just too simple to be interesting and fun at the same time thats too important to forget about it and needs attention all the time, every turn. And feels a bit disconnect from the 4X behind it in many ways, while in CK the whole game is built around it

Maybe it would work better in Oldworld simplifying it even more and removing all those repetitive events

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 24, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

manero posted:

The devs have added all sorts of options, so you can customize not only the number of events, but also adjust the character lifespan, whether a turn is a year/semester/etc. It's pretty customizable these days.

That I dindt knew. I guess Ill try it again tweaking things a bit

I did liked the 4X part of it a lot, its full of great ideas

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I need to try that mode too because the other problem I had with Oldworld was that in the 2 games I played the tech tree was complete to early, or thats what I felt cause I was still expanding and all players where still in the game and nothing felt decided yet. Thats what made me lose interest on it, more than anything

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I disagree

That is one of the things Oldworld got very right: units are way too slow in Civ, and not only early game. Makes war a slog and something that absurdly last for hundreds or thousands of years

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

I like CK3 but it went too much into roleplaying side of things and I can't get into it. Lives are too short for me to remember the drat characters, and the long-term story of the developing realm seems undercooked in comparison, and I can't put the stories of my characters into a grand tapestry of my kingdom. I understand why they did it - every other empire building game gives you this development story, but the fact that all development caps 150 years before the end feels like negligence, and law transformation or country formations do not feel impactful. Like even in Imperator Rome you have tiered country formation and each of those do interesting things like boosting specific development types of your country.

CK2 on the other hand always felt like characters are modded in, and most of ways the characters can go are only useful for vassals. And with DLCs it became very easy to create a dynasty of supersoldiers. At the end of the games lifecycle they created these scenarios where you had to play as specific characters and do very specific achievements, and this was the most fun I had with this game.

I agree with many of those points, but "lives are too short " seems the opposite of my experience: with some minimal caution and some basic perks, I find my characters live a lot longer in average than they did in Ck2. And with some legacies and getting the full health perk tree, you can have +80 characters every time if you want

Vizuyos posted:

New Paradox games feel "generic" because they generally focus on getting the basic systems right first, and then start adding flavor and country/culture-specific stuff in later updates.

They are taking too much time to do that, imo

Best Friends posted:

Ck2 and ck3 are both rpgs with map components. Ck3 has vastly better graphics and UI but NPC aggression is effectively way lower both in court and on the map, it’s even easier to make an invincible army, and due to the dev cycle you see the same exact events over and over much more often. It’s just imo much less fun to play on several levels.

I think thats a big factor indeed: they AI is too passive, a lot more than it was in CK2. Huge neighbours of enemy faiths that could easily crush you will mostly just leave you alone while you grow, vassals are too easy to please, and kinda hard to rebel.

All the challenge in the game is usually gone after 2 or successful 3 rulers. And even in this beginning you dont have much to fear cause you are hardly going to be attacked from the outside, and you still barely have vassals to worry about. And than you get big, outside threats become 100% irrelevant and at the same time, you got too strong to be taken by your vassals too, no matter how many and how big they are

I still think CK3 is an evolution from CK2, but I did got tired of it a lot sooner, and I do miss some CK2 systems than I thought were inferior at first.

Like for example tech: at first I thought CK3 had a much improved system. In practice is terribly balanced (favoring small cultures too much and being too easy game) and you will always have researched all techs much before the time limit, which is boring. Also, when you think about it, is not even that different from CK2: for each era you have basically a new tech of each kind, and they kinda correspond to the CK2 technology bars. So its almost the same except in CK2 it was were more granular

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK3 Battletech DLC

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eimi posted:

Make the sims but it's about running a medieval or fantasy castle and all the intrigue that involves.

The Sims Medieval was pretty fun for a while

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive have some hundreds of hours on EU4 but I stopped playing some years ago, so I have no idea how is the game now but I know Im some dozens of DLCs behind

Suppose I wanted to go back to it, what DLCs you people think are really essential?

I only have these:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jabor posted:

I'll be honest, I think the $5 expansion pass is the best thing they've ever done for EUIV.

If you're just dipping back into it you're probably not going to do so for more than a month anyway (or if you do, it's probably earned another $5 at that point), so it's way better value than buying expansions piecemeal.

I dont know about that, is like a subscription?

About the time Ill be playing, might be just a few games or I might get hooked again. I have some 300 hours before

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lobsterminator posted:

I've paid for the HOI4 subscription and I think it's a fine setup when you have lots of DLC.

HOI4 is my most played game in Steam so it's quite reliably worth it, but even so I have put it on hold for several months in the past. Like it was on hold for probably 3-4 months before the latest DLC came out and now I paid again to play the new stuff.

Yeah, I guess Ill do that.

Buying all the DLCs I dont have would be like 150 dollars, so even I play for many months, 5 a month is still cheaper

edit: no, actually is more like 50, counting only the expansions

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its very clearly the new EU game but perhaps they will change the name of the series

In any case, everything about it so far looks very promising

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, if mid 14th century its in the CK timeframe, but I cant see what else could it be other than the new EU

Is not going to be some game covering all history cause they have Millenia for that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Frionnel posted:

Plus, almost nobody plays Crusader Kings into the 14th and 15th centuries, so i don't mind having that era in Europa Universalis.

I think I only did it once and just for sake of it, but by than the game will almost 100% be completely won and pointless

Also all innovations will be discovered and so its like history just stagnates

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
20/21th century?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like the period but I heard so many bad things about the game back in the day that I never bought it

Maybe one day when it gets very cheap

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im getting hyped for this not-EU game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What about buttons to move a slider