Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Earlier in this thread people brought up the After the End mod. I tried it and it's by far the best mod I've played in CK2.

Only it crashes constantly for me and I can't play it for more than 50 years :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lord Windy posted:

What a shame about Vicky III. I thought it was a sure thing after all those jokes they were dropping. I hope they talk about why they went the Rome route, but I don't recall them being very open in the past.

I would bet that it's because Vicky has always been extremely ambitious with the way it models POPs, and balancing the economy is nigh impossible

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ohhh so this is a test run of Vicky 3 then!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have, easily, thousands of hours in various PDX games, about 600 on record for EU4.

How long have you been able to attach armies to a transport in port???

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is the current mod of choice to run Vicky2? I remember when it was PDM but I have no idea what's happened in the intervening years.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fact that Victoria attempts to simulate class/demographics and has those as its primary unit is absolutely revolutionary and key to its appeal.

Like, we all love playing as a unitary nation running around painting the map, but there's something really fascinating about transforming your society at the level of its people, and as janky as the economic and political engine and sim is, it's super satisfying and totally unlike any other game. You can't just show off your empire with a map, you have to show its demographics too.

Of course, it does have that appeal for the rascist nutjobs who wanna simulate ethnic cleansing, but I did find it fun to see where my demographics ended up. Imagining a world where California was 40% Dixie and 60% french or whatever and the long term implications of that was pretty fun. Not to mention what insane alt-hist scenarios you'd ever get if you did an EU4 -> Vicky simulator (which would be basically impossible without heavy user intervention).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a go to mod to play Victoria 2 with these days? Or are people just rolling with vanilla?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it depends on what you're looking for really, there are a bunch of fun alt history style mods and a bunch of vanilla+ mods that people swear by.

Was bored and considering messing around with Vicky 2 again - what are some of the vanilla+ mods? It's been AGES since I played, so I have no idea what is popular anymore.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trapped mouse posted:

It's been HPM for a while, and the modders are still releasing updates with a surprising amount of regularity. There's also HFM, but the railroading is pretty extreme in that mod. I pretty much always fire up HPM when I get the urge for Vicky 2.

Thanks! I will give HPM a go, it's been a loooong time. I think last I played, people were still using Pop Demand Mod or something.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want it to be real, I believe.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Now we need an Italian focus tree.

Looks like we are getting it in prison architect (2??)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wiz loving did it

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

Wiz is making Victoria III. It will have easter eggs and nods to hohenLP and azeriLP. There will be no anarcho-libs, and nothing will hurt and everything will be beautiful

Not an empty quote

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Steam page page has some screenshots for v3.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dev diary is up too: https://caligula-prod-p39o.herokuapp.com/en/news/dev-diary-0-the-vision

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Victoria 3 is further along than I thought it'd be, doubly so since we've gotten NO leaks (aside from the silly one earlier).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

So anyway, Vicky 3 confirmed

Seconding a request for shirts. (Or thirding or whatever).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trapped mouse posted:

Link to the thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968353

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have discovered the anbennar mod and it has consumed my life. He is there so much content?

Is there an eu4 thread? The link in the op sends you to Stellaris.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can confirm that Anbennar is fun as hell and got me back into EU4 after kinda burning out on the base game.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really want to get into imperator but the post above about making every interesting nation feel like EU4 Byzantium is absolutely right. I'm instantly overwhelmed by poo poo and barely guided so it's really hard to get into. The recent push by streamers/this thread has me ready to try again. Any recs for good nations to play to learn the mechanics?

It's insane viewing EU4 as more accessible by comparison, but I know that's at least part because I got into EU early and the feature creep was gradual rather than all at once.

Also, any good imperator streamer recommendations would be welcome.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While military is the hardest to fall behind on, the consequences for doing so can be pretty bad. There are certain techs that give massive morale boosts that really make wars difficult if you're the one without it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I unlocked the first level of QFTNW, hired an explorer and sent him out into the Caribbean. unlocked the second level of OFTNW, and sent the colonist to Cabo Verde, west of Africa. As I understand it, I now need to wait until the colony in Cabo Verde hits 1,000 people to become a full-fledged city, and then that might be enough to carry the colonization range as far as the Caribbean, which I currently cannot reach from my farthest holding in Madeira (The Azores looks closer on the map, but isn't considered the closest because of how the game apparently takes trade-winds into account for colonization range).

I also unlocked Admin 6, and immediately built five Workshops in Salt and Wine provinces: the increase in earnings catapulted my profits high enough to accomplish the Lots of Profits mission, and then combined with the five Temples I'd already built before hand to accomplish the Build Buildings mission right after.

Once you get into the new world proper, prioritize trade harbors and trade boosting provinces. Press the trade map filter and it'll highlight where they are.

I'd strongly recommend grabbing the Caribbean ones ASAP. You'll have unlimited money from the trade going through it back to Europe eventually.

Doubly so if you can seize Sevilla from Spain :getin:.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

You actually can't get US citizenship until you prove you can eat 10 of these. They don't tell you that up front when you start the process but the bureaucrats won't sign your paperwork until they watch you do it, kind of like a hazing thing.

Quoting this before the FBI take it down for revealing the truth.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From California, when Harold and Kumar came out I had no idea white castle was a real place. Looked fake and never heard of it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hoi 3 was bad and most people played modded hoi2 til 4 came out.