Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My choice for favourite bit of HOI3 is between the Normandy 1944 scenario where the allied armies immediately fall out of supply and crumble because no techs were unlocked, and the fact that the dynamic weather system would plunge the world into a permament ice age after the first winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's a patchwork of successful mechanics from other games that result in anything in the end that feels like it has a soul. Rome blobs effortlessly, the game doesn't generate interesting stories as a result.

Sad because by all accounts (including posts here) Johan was really bummed out it didn't come together.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the essence of this sort of game is that its impossible to know if its actually any good until you sit down with it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well I've started the showcase and what I can report back is

{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know that was the joke

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skylines: the sims, it's real!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah so far they could have just done a trailer drop with a press release top lines page for each game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh cool Lamplighters is a day one Xbox game pass game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think what sets Paradox games apart is that expansion is not necessarily the end goal, and in many games is often discouraged.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a bit zeno's paradoxy because you play it like a real-time game with pause, but the game mechanics are explicitly constructed around a wego turn based system.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

King of Dragon Pass 2

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the grim darkness of the year 40,000 there is only Malaria prophylactics

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh it's not actually a PDX studios game, it's made by someone called C Prompt Games, who made... something called Heretic Operative in 2019... that seems to have a bit of a cult following on Steam?

It might actually be worth a dive into that, it looks like a really interesting indy title.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

vanity slug posted:

Is it better or worse than Empire of Sin?

Oh much much better.

I think it runs into the same core problem Battletech (and to a lesser degree the Shadowrun series, but those are propelled by story) has but much sooner - the core tactical gameplay is something that initially looks really interesting, but rapidly runs out of things to show you that actually shake up how you play the game. The consequence is that when you are 4-5 missions in it's already starting to feel a bit samey.

e: I have *checks notes* 403 hours in Battletech. I think it works because missions are short, there is an engaging visceral element to watching mechs shoot and punch each other, and while it does get a bit samey, the core tactical puzzle of where to move and how much to shoot is still fundamentally interesting.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 14, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean we knew from earlier in the week that HBS basically shuttered in June. They might keep going, or Jordan and Mitch might appear under a new banner.

The good outcome is that they make a pitch to Microsoft for office space and ~40 production staff (you probably only need about that if you are a Microsoft subsidiary and can use their corporate support) and the rights to make Battletech 2: Battletech harder. Jordan and Mitch seem like guys who like running their own company though and might just not want the chains that come with bending the knee to Microsoft, particularly where they are probably at the 'do what the gently caress you want' point of their careers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every attempt by Paradox to do anything other than make Paradox-style games inevitably ends in failure.

The exceptions are the Cities/Age of/Surviving franchises which have the common factor of being run by a development studio that has an IP and has just been iterating on the same gameplay model for the last decade. At no time when Paradox tries to act like an actual publisher and tell people what project to do has it actually worked out.

https://twitter.com/mitchgit/status/1714685092705280285

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 18, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1717537409762484698?t=jQi_BVwV25iuGXyBzDu6yg&s=19

Paradox trying the novel idea of 'see if the game is actually good before funding it'

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Pretty sure the current MicroProse is a company that resurrected the brand and has no continuity with the original one though?

It's owned and run by the same guy who bought the brand name back from Atari. That's part of why they've been so instantly successful, David Lagettie has a very long history of publishing and selling video wargames and it looks like he went right back to the old winning formula.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I loaded up EU4 once a couple of weeks ago to check out the state of the game and ever since then I've had daily emails from Paradox (that I've been too lazy to turn off) promoting the game to me.

I know I should and will turn them off myself, but jesus christ Paradox you have the default dial turned up to 11 on how regularly I want that 'buy our stuff' email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's a good Victoria 3 starting country? I always make the mistake of picking the US, winning the civil war and then having literally no challenges for the rest of the game because you can go afk with time set to max and USA capitalists will basically sort everything out for you.