Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Declare yourself a consumer cooperative and offer stock with every base game, with free dlc for every % of stock you own cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

considering the amount of labor word of mouth did to improve the popularity of grand strategy games paying us to post is the only logical next step for pdx

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

BYZANTINE WOMB FLASH SALE!
+50% CHANCE FOR 6/6/6 MONARCHS

LUNAR MONTH CONTINUES
ALL HAN GENERALS +2 STARS
LEGENDARY INFANTRY 2x TRAINING SPEED
JADE EMPIRE TRIBUTE 8% OFF
EPIC OR GREATER ARTIFACTS GUARANTEED

Took a hundred bucks but I finally got the Sueliman the magnificent summer edition *post screenshot of anime Turkish sultan in a swimsuit. The sultan is a woman for some reason. The phone is at 14% charge*

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah

Yeah I mod/cheat most games like that. I have a stressful enough real life that I seek relief from games, not stress. I modded FoE, I play EU4 handicapped with me having unlimited money, I do play XCOM with invincible soldiers. gently caress, I even made a mod for Stardew Valley to pause/slow down time so that I could play one day for as long as I wanted.

I know it’s silly, but it’s fun for me :shrug:

Sometimes just to chill in Vicky 2 I'll play an uncivilized country, cheat in enough research points to reform in a few years, then just chill out and modernize

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm just surprised in general that EU is that much more popular than CK when CK is like the big standout brilliant game of the paradox library

i figure paradox games are kinda like total war games in that the big determiner is how much you like the time period more than anything

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Big Hubris posted:

No, I meant magic, like fun events. It's a Paradox game set before CK2. Dionysus should be walking around the map like Bowser in SimCity.

this is exactly what the city bulder Zeus did

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

well if this place goes up in smoke out of nowhere I just wanted to say that I always like the paradox game threads in this forum

Same.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ro3K was propoganda, Lui bei is turned into a paragon because the dynasty at the time considered themselves the heir to the Han. Lui Beis whole thing was being the true heir to the Han as well. Since cao cao was his main rival and eventually gave rise to the Sima Clan, and from there the Jin dynasty he was made a villain, as people who try to displace the rightful heirs to the Han, and the ming claimed themselves as the natural continuation of the han, are obviously evil.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the kmt sucked so hard that multiple members of the us military and media, independently of each other, recommended the us start sending funds and material to the ccp instead

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Nazi sympathizers arent a huge number of pdox players but they are one of the noisiest groups

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

unironically remove units as discrete objects you order around the map and replace it with fronts you just put manpower into whih then generate descriptions of whats going on based on dice rolls and tech bonuses

drat I'm good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

posted about Vicky 3 being improved with no clicking units around the map and the Vicky 3 dev diary revealed that the devs agreed, WHERES MY CHECK WIZ YOU SNOWY poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's Vicky 2. Sometimes it ss like I can go an entire game without fighting a war. Other times I'm Brazil, it's 1845 and the French are invading the Amazon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shoulda just made bribes smh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pakled posted:

I haven't explored CK3's mod scene so I dunno if there's anything like it out there yet but all the various total conversion mods for CK2 really expanded its lifetime for me. After The End was amazing.

The Bronze Age mod for it is pretty cool even if development of it is going slow

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also consider lowering your taxes if you have them maxed out.

Here's how taxes work: you have a stat called tax efficiency that shows how much money you can actually tax. So if your have taxes set to 100 but your tax efficiency is at 30%, you'll only get 30%. Early game when your TE is low maxing taxes out is fine as you literally don't have the state organs to collect on them but late game you can run into issues where your pops can't afford to buy more than the minimum.

So if your taxes are high, lower them until your just over breaking even and see if your dudes start buying more stuff

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i have a strange fixation in the USCA and it's really fun if you can game the mechanics to get more immigrants early on. Although this is mostly in mods that get rid of the usas migrant attraction bonus (they also start you out in the middle of a big uprising so you have to actually work to keep it together, also free militancy for passing reforms)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Immigrants definitely would have been useful in my game, as the pop boost would have helped out with my national focuses and soldier numbers, but I didn't get very many. How exactly are you supposed to game the mechanics? For most of my playthrough, I just didn't have the majority needed for any reforms, and as far as I know that's the main factor when it comes to immigrant attraction.

I think I did alright, anyway. There seems to be a point around the middle of the game where you go from struggling financially to making tons of money. I'm not sure what the main cause is (financial techs coming in or your incipient industrialization), but it's happened pretty reliably in the three games I've played so far. That allowed me to focus on getting more soldiers and more brigades, and the rest is history. United States of Central America on both sides of the isthmus :cool:.

Basically Vicky 2 operates on accelerationist logic, in that the best way to change the government is mass unrest and the threat of violence. The more militancy your population has the more likely the conservatives in your gov are to support reforms.

So you take event choices that add militancy over more reasonable choices, hike up tarrifs so people have to pay more for poo poo, or declare war on some country that can't pose a threat, like say Haiti, and just chill while your pops get more and more angry. You then use that anger to pass reforms to boost your immigration

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

bump. i asked ths before but i'm a big fuckin rome-head and i'm just checkin on imperator, is it any good yet? if its not, does this invictus mod make it any better

The last big update finally gave it good systems. Unfortunately they then ditched it soon after so there have been no updates since then. The invictus mod adds things, but if you don't like I:R now the mod won't fix that

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

One big advantage of legions was it was the only way to get engineers afaik, so you could have a cool dynamic where you can use your levy for actual battles while the professionals crack cities open and supply some more heavy troops when not sieging.

again, for how rough the game was it was in a genuinely good place when the plug got pulled, it sucks. Carthage was like some beta version of Austria from Victoria where youre trying to keep an empire of minorities who hate you under control while keeping up with a rapidly consolidating rival to the north and it was great.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Imperator 2 or riot

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You need flavor because history is full of edge cases and wild events that are impossible to accurately simulate from a general model. From a gameplay perspective stuff like formable, journal entries, mission trees etc help guide players to objectives they might not ever have any reason to do and encourage players into doing poo poo they might not ever do normally do.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

People like having direction in video games imo, as much as paradox games have a reputation as sandboxes I think they work better with something to give you an objective.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I can see the most events being accurate, but the events are universal to every country.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I:R had good bones but needed more regional content to flesh it out, it's a drat shame it got ditched when it did.

Good thing Invictus is actively updated

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/PDX_Katten/status/1780180341472264661

lol the games gonna come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

incredibly funny that they did the same thing that sank the simcity franchise lmao

Well not quite as bad as that, but it's really funny to take the crown of an entire genre with one game then squander it the next