Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I dunno about you guys, but personally I think Paradox sold out to the casuals because they're not including NATO counters in Stellaris. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Is EUIV's latest DLC included in the current sale, or do I have to purchase it separately from the EUIV pack?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The "Europa Universalis IV Collection" is missing the three most recent expansions: Art of War, El Dorado, and Common Sense.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'll have to wait for the next sale then, even if EUIV wasn't my favorite game when I tried the demo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually, it's Java, hth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I want to be able to mobilize my subjected alien populations to fight for the glory of the human race. :911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

V2 made them money, though.

Yeah, but not enough, right? I remember reading some post by someone in this thread at some point saying it wasn't as much as expected, even if it was profitable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Other way around. Wester had made a bet that if V2 turned a profit he'd shave his head. He lost spectacularly because V2 made more than just a profit.

Ahhh. Well, that's pretty awesome then!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

oh yes

The confusing universe where Australia borders Austria!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Looks like the next EU4 expansion is The Cossacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWWB3OH3uQ

Aha! Now we can truly remove kebab!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well we could always look at the List of Wars Between Democracies to see. They're rare and not huge conflicts, but they do occur.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I dunno about you guys, but I play mapgames because of the atrocities I get to commit, not in spite of them. :smugbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Many a time I've been disappointed at having to waste money hanging some nameless thralls at the Great Blot when my dungeon was full of perfectly good Christian children.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Be right back, gonna make a slight modification to the event files so you can hang a baby.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I hope there's a DLC Expansion somewhere in the pipeline that adds "Mechanoid" as a possible alien species type, so that I can play as the Militaristic Collective-Fanatic machine race.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I can't recommend SOTS 1 enough for people that actually want good, combat oriented ship design. Just don't touch the sequel.

Well, crappy fantasy settings. Which videogame settings tend to be. The crazy ideologies was kind of part of the appeal for me though

He tended to go full world police in game and did some really shady stuff with cloning in the backstory. I think it says a lot about the other less obviously "evil" factions (so anyone that's not the Believers or the Human Hive)that the Peacekeepers tend to look like the best of the lot.

Commissioner Pravin Lal posted:

The Warrior’s bland acronym, MMI, obscures the true horror of this monstrosity. Its inventors promise a new era of genius, but meanwhile unscrupulous power brokers use its forcible installation to violate the sanctity of unwilling human minds. They are creating their own private army of demons.
--“Report on Human Rights”

Later:

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended. But what I cannot shake, and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams the sensibility of the machine invades the periphery of my consciousness. Dark. Rigid. Cold. Alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.
--"Man and Machine"

:gonk:

EDIT: Also--

I loved my chosen. How then to face the day when she left me?

So I took from her body a single cell, perhaps to love her again.--“Time of Bereavement”

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 20, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

The national focus thing is honestly my most anticipated part of HOI4. HOI was always short on the narrative department after it left the tightly scripted event chains of HOI2/DH/other spinoffs. I think that making HOI into a political sandbox via national focus trees is a really good step towards reintroducing a narrative but not tying it strictly to the same WW2 every time around.

How are you balancing them, though? What are the odds that everyone joins Axis and Hitler leads a coalition of pan-european snuggleship?

That ought to be an achievement if anything. "Peace in Our Time": Diplomatic Victory as Axis.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Basically the anomalies seem a little bit like cracking open ruins in Civ or pods in SMAC/X -- random effect, possibly a disaster, sometimes nothing, sometimes a nice bonus. That was entertaining enough, so I'm pleased to read about this being a part of Stellaris.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

karmicknight posted:

"[REF DATE] is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the HR practices of a single Anomalous studies scientist, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being [REF RACE] is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally [REF RACE ADJ] to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when the Anomaly announced that is wasn't the optimal event tree tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel [REF RACE]."

>"How tragic."
>"One less mouth to feed".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Mod that replaces the ship images with that loving anime

All the country flags are represented by Hetalia portraits, all the ships are from Kancolle.

My dream game~ :swoon:

EDIT: And I guess all your planes can be Strike Witches while you're at it

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 7, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Randarkman posted:

e2: What's the audience here? People who would like to gently caress warships? Because it just makes no goddamn sense.

It's "anthropomorphization" -- turning something that's not a human into some kind of cute humanoid mascot representation. It's "a thing" in Japan. The audience consists of 1) anime pervs, 2) Japanese nationalists and 3) anime pervs who are also Japanese nationalists.

It doesn't stop there: your shipgirl can get damaged in battle, and her card art/icon thingy gets its (already-minimal) clothing progressively more torn as she gets more damaged.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You're not even allowed to mention you're in the beta. If someone asks, you just lie and say no.

Anyone who violates this rule or the rule about telling people this you're out of the beta.

...gently caress

The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is actually pretty fascinating stuff. Where can I read more about it? Any good books on food security / supply chains come out recently?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I dunno, the development tiles in this don't look too different from buildings in provinces in EU4. Maybe it's because I haven't played very many space 4X games, but EU4 was the first thing I thought of when I saw that screenshot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Making your army 100% cav divisions with cav brigades attached will always be my favorite strategy in Kaiserreich. Every unit can break through infantry and outrace them for encircling!

Hence the need for Horse Archer NATO counters to accompany the Genghis Khan 1936AD DLC.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Stardates, it's the only way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Center view over Africa / Middle East; all scientists are black.

I love it, you guys!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure we were being pretty unironic last year when we got into a 10 page argument/derail over whether or not Westernization in EUIV was Eurocentric and how to more realistically depict technological progress, and nearly got moved to D&D!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's the evil alternate universe from Star Trek where all the good guys have goatees and all the bad guys don't.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Was he bald too? Paradox better follow the Bald–hairy Rule.

Everyone knows that in Star Trek Deep Space Nine, bald goatee Sisko was far better than hairy clean-shaven Sisko. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It'd be neat if there were ways to simulate internal threats like the breakdown of a space empire due to stagnation or something. Like, say you've blobbed up pretty well and are stable for a while. If there was some kind of "Decadence" (but not annoying like CK2's Decadence) where your empire would gradually go into a stagnant period, decline, and start to break up, that would keep the late game a bit more dynamic. I'm thinking something like Asimov's Foundation series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rebellions in the empire will be punished with total planetary deconstruction. No exceptions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Riso posted:

Tovarich, not only are habitable planets rare but you are also throwing away precious resources. I suggest you virus bomb the planet until everything is dead and re-colonise, da?

Nonsense, comrade, we will use the raw materials to build space colonies for loyal citizens.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, whatever they do, if there's a natural-feeling "empire breakup" mechanic, it should feel like a relief to grant far-flung colonies autonomy, so that you can concentrate your energy and resources on maintaining what you have. Otherwise it'd feel really unfun to have everything you worked so hard to build up come apart like the game is forcing you to. I could see it like releasing holdings in CK2, making new vassal duchies and such.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

Tell me about it. I knew from the moment I started seeing that exploration ship going from system to system, exploring every single thing there, that this would be a game that I could spend literal days on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Purge", eh? So it's OK to have a Genocide button in a Paradox game as long as it's aliens? ;)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Epinephrine posted:

"Don't cry for me, La Plata!"

chile chile CHILE

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If I name my science ship Event Horizon do I get a special event towards the end of the game and a Sam Neill character portrait?

"Our lead scientist reports that the Wormhole Drive technology is almost ready. We have assembled the prototype ship, but initial readings seem to indicate that it might be possible to tear a rift into another dimension, whose properties could be completely beyond our comprehension. Should we abort the test?"

>Where we're going we won't need eyes to see...
>On second thought, let's research Warp Drive instead.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The music for Stellaris is fantastic. Very "spacey" in a somewhat gentler and chiller sciency sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Personally, I like that they're not whitewashing it or playing it coyly by calling it "Planetary Bombardment" or "Expel the Natives" or whatever. It's just a plain straight-up "genocide" button.