Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Someone help me stop playing these bad games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
4) Hot Potatoes theory: new states should be gobbled up before they have a chance to cool down, it just makes sense

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tomn posted:

You know, I know Stellaris has mentioned it'd delve into federations, but I'd love it if there were multiple positions of responsibility within the federation that member governments can jockey for instead of just "President." Instead of just the one "winner-takes-all" position of power that acts as an upgraded form of the government you're already in charge of while everyone else is reduced to helpless vassals, spread the power around so that different posts can be held by different governments with wildly varying priorities. I want to see constant jockeying and friendly competition between allies as they seek the positions of power that matter most to them. I want to see ramshackle, bickering federations constantly working at cross-purposes where it takes a whole lot of effort to ensure that everyone is pointed in the same direction instead of just working for their own personal benefit - with perhaps the option of trying to concentrate power in the hands of one particular government at a cost in efficiency and loyalty.

One of the things that bug me most about "diplomatic" wins in 4X strategy games is that in most such games, allies are boring. You sign one treaty and then the only real interaction you ever have with your allies beyond that is maybe the occasional subsidy or trade and hoping that they'll answer your call to arms. A scenario where you constantly have things to do with - or to - your allies would help make diplomacy a lot more interesting than just throwing money at them until they're happy, and competing for positions within a greater governmental framework sounds like just the sort of thing that might work.

That sounds cool, something like CK2's college of cardinals?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Well we could always look at the List of Wars Between Democracies to see. They're rare and not huge conflicts, but they do occur.

Filipino civilians dead: 250,000-1,000,000[11][12][13]

rip in peace to those whom died

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Haha, the "democratic" peace theory. More like the Rothschild central banker peace theory.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kavak posted:

Are you arguing that common economic ties help to prevent violent conflict or...?

I personally prefer to combine ellipses with question marks by removing the last full stop from the ellipsis.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Everything in that update looks cool as heck, even just a formal method of ship prefixes lol

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Never played this game, but why the hell are the turrets not in line? Is this some kind of crazy per-dreadnaught?

The big revolutionary advance of the HMS Dreadnaught was to carry all big guns in a line so they could all be brought to bear whichever side the enemy was on. (Also steam turbines)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Sounds cool

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I've heard that the V2 economy is like a black hole that absorbs matter around it, and one day the entire world will be sucked into it

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I guess no one ever played my modmod, I put events in for America in ~1920 to be hit by an invasion of Cthulhu worshippers (based on a Halloween event Paradox did) but no one ever commented about it :(

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Please don't do what Darkest Hour did with commie flags and just stick a hammer and sickle on the existing one, they looked silly!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Vicky 3 won't actually have provinces, but instead it'll be various regions and you can apply power to fronts in these regions (or at sea) during war time.

Your green lines will gradually become more swole and beat into their red lines.

Being able to arbitrarily draw lines on the map to create administrative divisions out of an underlying population density map is my wistful dream for mapgames

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's the "tactics" research techs which reduce casualties

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Looks like the ship prefixes after the commie coup changed, is that something both of the new games will have?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tuskin38 posted:

Looking at this image

Who is on the left? The Guy on the right is the Communist leader of Norway, but that other guy looks nothing like Molotov or Litvinov, so either not the foreign minister, or the Soviet AI appointed someone else.

It's you

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
When people are linking to dictionary entries you know a thread has reached the end of its life and should be given the gift of mercy from a mod

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Ogryns and ratlings ho!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

You're not but failure and disappointment are actually vital to a game experience.

Will someone PLEASE tell my parents this

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Any game you guys play has a fail state because you're friggin' losers

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Long live the Republic of Indian Stream!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
War Plan Beige: pacifist neutrality :angel:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Better kill the poo poo out of them, you don't want Agartha lasting long enough to cast their "break the seal" spell

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Every forum gets the moderation it deserves.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
FOODTEA RESERVES
[[--|-----------]]
24.5% of United Kingdom suffered malnutrition caffeine withdrawal this month, causing a loss of 2.45 National Unity

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

You just wait until tomorrow when 3/4 of the forum including me will be complaining about not getting into the beta.

I really don't get why people complain about this stuff though. It seems like even from a realism stance this makes more sense; the supply lines are much more accurate and understandable. The lines themselves functioning in a way that makes sense is way more important than whether it's tinned cod or pixie dust that's actually on the boats.

Supplies moving from province to province is more accurate and understandable it's just specifics in HoI3/AoD were a bit of a pain

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Paradox is abstracting some of the distinct types of resources into a more general resource called "supplies" so you the game doesn't model e.g. infantry trying to fire diesel cans instead of bullets. All versimilitude is lost. A mad dog is attacking the polis; it shall face my knife.

I thought they were removing supplies and having a supply cap like EU4, but for regions rather than provinces

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

All these posts saying simplification is good and grogs are bad are very Triggering to me, please stop.

It's all very Pavlovian

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Will there be some equivalent of monarch points to slow down your expansion or is it just energy/food/industry? I'd assume Paradox will continue with the philosophy they've been showing in EU4 and HOI4. Maybe unlocking new slots to build on will cost these points, and then you get to build on them with industry etc.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Isn't one of the conditions of the beta that you don't say you're in the beta and deny anything if asked?

I don't see how that could work, wouldn't the NDA have to apply retroactively?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
You can't pause a RTS to plan and give orders like a Paradox grand strategy or a TBS

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
nvm

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

RTW and M2TW had that system if you ticked a box, and surprise surprise nobody played with it, because the AI would do stupid poo poo in all your other cities.

Those games had some good UI that let you zoom in on the cities that needed your attention so the AI was definitely not needed. Messages when cities had finished construction or grown enough to be expanded, and lists with icons where cities were idle.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
That's pretty much what I've been hoping for, I'm looking forwards to the game much more now. Paradox is rolling out some cool changes

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Well civil wars would be between two ideologies (ex. Democracy vs. Communism, Democracy vs. Fascism, Fascism vs. Communism) so I would likely choose fascists over democracy, and democracy over communism.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Westminster System posted:

What the Paradox forum needs is more Goa'uld apologists.

Jaffa, Kree!

The plot to Age of Decadence is basically Star Gate, humanity getting enslaved and indoctrinated by technologically superior theocrats posing as gods

Also, they have pyramid obsessions

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I'm pretty thick (or as I liked to say, I have maluses to intelligence), but at the same time, the Paradox forums are bad

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why not roll the British revolution back to 1918 in a Kiel mutiny style thing that knocks the Royal Navy out of the war and lifts the blockade? When is it meant to have happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As far as we know, any FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, not sf. If so, then colonizing the stars will be a slow, plodding affair and communication will be lightspeed only. Would make for a boring game though, unless Vernor Vinge directed it.

I'd rather games have communications and travel faster than reality than slower! Ever try sailing a fleet across the Mediterranean in a Total War game? A month long voyage can take decades!