Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

Genocide is Paradox number 1 solution to most problems.
For instance performance problems in Ck2? Ramp up the plagues.

They took it too far with the Greek eunuch thing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh man, that almost makes me want to play as Germany. Too bad about the whole holocaust thing.

And no, I can't just "ignore that".

You can change the occupation policy to "gentle" and it's like the Holocaust didn't happen :) Just good times invading the Soviets with Anime Hitler

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kind of a strange trade really. I mean, Slovakia wasn't historically a part of Poland. Now, I admit that this is obviously not a requirement for conquest, but it's just that, well, Lithuania is right there. Wouldn't it make much more sense to have Poland trade Danzig for German support in Lithuania? If Germany is befriending Poland it clearly doesn't have the same designs on Eastern Europe as it did historically, so letting the Poles take Lithuania wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, they could take Latvia and Estonia too, even if the Germans would probably want Memel. That way Poland retains access to the sea, and retakes lost territory, all the while preemptively protecting Eastern Europe from the Reds.

Make more sense geopolitically but from a gameplay perspective, it could cause balance issues for German forces to have to more through Polish territory in their invasion of the USSR - it could mess up supply routes, control and ownership of the conquests and unit pathing and front logic.

All of those could probably be worked around and fixed but it's a concern

Randarkman posted:

Best example I saw of people pluralizing words of latin origin wrong was on some MRA's blog or something where he gave the plural of clitoris as "clitorii".

lol

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Home>Forums>Private Forums (PDS)>Hearts of Iron IV - Beta Forum>Please add "NATO counters" for Militia and Garrison

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It'd be neat if there were ways to simulate internal threats like the breakdown of a space empire due to stagnation or something. Like, say you've blobbed up pretty well and are stable for a while. If there was some kind of "Decadence" (but not annoying like CK2's Decadence) where your empire would gradually go into a stagnant period, decline, and start to break up, that would keep the late game a bit more dynamic. I'm thinking something like Asimov's Foundation series.

Like the Romans in At The Gates?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Not to derail, but how is At The Gates looking? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't heard or seen anything on it's progress for like six months now.

It's being released January

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P7DDwAkbIKeZN2-cG_tlZmyXyxLdDT9t_D2olSbjX9s/edit

January 2017

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Maybe empires could have a policy on how rebellions are dealt with, which gives a modifier on how long rebellions last and how damaging they are, so it ranges from George RR Martin's Thousand Worlds style genocide and enslavement of rebels in 1 turn to tolerating planets becoming autonomus and having to reabsorb them later with diplomatic power

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I feel ya bro, here WW2 navies for dummies

Submarines: long hard and full of seamen. Botes that sink, but can also unsink. Used either independently or as part of fleets.

Destroyers: smallest warbote you'll see on the surface. Fast and lightly armored its good at killing subs or using torpedoes to kill large botes with no support. Best used in large numbers.

Cruisers: like destroyers but larger. Not sure what the were good at, neither were IRL navies to be honest

Battle cruisers: you know what sucks? Armor. Armor is for pussies, strip that bullshit off so we can go fast and carry bigger guns.

Carrier: huge fucker that carries airplanes. Will get hosed if caught alone

Battleship BIG GUNS BEST GUNS BEST SHIP so long as there arnt carriers in the region.

Light cruisers are good for swatting aircraft out of the sky so they're great at screening carriers. Heavy cruisers are a faster and cheaper capital ship than battleships so they're good for keeping destroyer blobs at bay.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Yeah Paradox seems to have picked up some more libertarian type writers lately.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Would it actually be conceivable for a pre-spacefaring civ to defeat one of the galactic civs in game or would that be like AI Cherokee getting the No Trail of Tears achievement in EU4?

I expect there won't be actual battles between primitives and spacefarers, just progress bars that can get set back by event and abandoned if you need the resources elsewhere but that's just a guess

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sci fi nerds in this thread, what is it about Fungi that make them so common as an alien race in sci fi genres? (Maybe they're not so common and it's just confirmation bias, idk!) Is there some special property of fungus that makes it plausible for a sapient fungoid alien race to exist? What make fungi more suitable than plants for a non-Fauna alien race? Or is it just a case of 'wouldn't it be cool if'?

Like I don't mind if it is the latter, I'm just curious because it seems like a cool thing that I'm totally ignorant about!

George RR Martin has written some cool short stories about telepathic and mind controlling fungi, I've been reading through this dude's compilation of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8WQ8_iQSk

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Probably just closing V2 off before announcing V3 than just to fix it for the sake of fixing it.

This plan will backfire, as V2 was already an almost perfect game. There's now no need for a V3. Preorder precancelled.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677983075104608258

So... you guys taking requests?

Do you think you could change line 3567 of text.csv from The Communism Agenda to The Communist Agenda?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

The AI doesn't get magical points. I've made it run out of points a few times before.

Or just check beforehand when your colony will be ready to invest again. Plus, you need to be 2 levels (IIRC) ahead to get the colony and a level takes several months, so it's not like 1 day makes a difference. Just because the notifier says "OH GOD YOU'RE LOSING AAAAAAAAAA" doesn't mean it's actually that urgent.

Haven't played for a while, but as I recall, when it's America and Britain competing for Washington, a few days every time makes a difference, because that competition goes to like 20 levels of colonial development.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 20, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677983075104608258

So... you guys taking requests?

Do you think you could change line 3567 of text.csv from The Communism Agenda to The Communist Agenda?

Please, podcat and Wiz, this makes me irrationally upset!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

:drat: Pdox getting political

Russian empire seems to start with no army... a statement about contemporary Russian militarism?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

My biggest real issue with Victoria 2 is the way EVERY REGIMENT has its own manpower number and place it draws men from. If it all just went into one pool it'd be so much better.

Don't troll

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

pdxjohan posted:

Well, i suspect he'll do it on wednesday? As thats the only day off ;)

According to the v2 debchat, podcat fixed the russia bug, so hopefully we'll adress the complaints asap.

We know you guys are just getting warmed up for V3 so take as long as you need.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Hopefully there are intelligence countermeasures to enemy radio, like video

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
"Let me tell you about modding: it's fun and it's easy. You gonna learn all about it." - The Crow (1994)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Wait why is the Soviet Union illegitimate?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's Senatus POPULUSQUE Romanus

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I guess I just don't want to sperg that hard about even one division. I would be totally cool with just using the system from HoI2, where there were basic types of divisions and you could put a brigade on them if you really felt like it. It feels like Paradox is trying to pander to Matrix Games players who need an obsessive level of detail.

For me it just comes down to whether it's a meaningful choice - if not then I don't care about the feature. Like, EU4 in theory has "division design" since you can have exactly the mix of inf/art/cav that you want. In practice you want the same unit makeup the vast majority of the time, so there's not much meaningful choice there. In HoI it's different of course because there are different types of divisions, but I guarantee you there ends up being an optimal makeup for each of infantry, armor, mountain, etc. divisions that you almost never want to deviate from. Like, you know there are going to be guys coming into the thread complaining about getting their rear end kicked and the standard goon advice will be "oh you fell into a trap in the unit designer, here just make your divisions like this." I'd love to be proven wrong but as of right now it looks like complexity with no payoff.

I think the division builder has to work this way so that the production lines system works with it (swapping light tanks for medium tanks over time and gradually phasing them out as you ramp up production)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The COMINTERM, the much feared left-wing association of school timetable planners.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From here you can see each unit's strength and supply situation, what type they are and what they are doing.

e: I imagine there are many benefits to listing them individually

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Colonel Kulik

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Have it be like the crew cameras in Kerbal Space Program. Hitler starts looking increasingly worried as things go pear-shaped. The only question is which leader would be Jeb.

Maximum bravery, minimum intelligence, and a veteran pilot? Goering, obviously

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Apparently the history criteria is one point out of 10 for every million Jews you murder

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AdjectiveNoun posted:

For those of us who didn't play EU: Rome, what was so good about the Senate/Parliament/Council system in that game?

I think it's mostly nostalgia for an old forum game Wiz was involved in, goons roleplayed senators and formed political factions

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You misunderstand the concept. It's not simply a superpower that is moral, it's a superpower of the concept of morality. Essentially, Sweden is so moral that when it comes to admonishing other states or giving them a thumbs up for doing good, its word carries the weight of a superpower. (Yes, this is a real life concept.)

Something like prestige in linguistics?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mans posted:

It''s a valid comment. I have friends that i played EU3 with back in the day and they simply refuse to play EU4 because it's comically complex compared to how barebones EU3 was (by comparison obviously).

I haven't played much since Common Sense due to personal issues and when the Cossacks expansion came out i returned to the game and i was loving lost. If you can get lost by missing two patches imagine what someone who hasn't played since EU3 or at all will think of all the mechanics.

EU4 is an amazing game but you need to take a lot of time to get to know the game. I wouldn't call it bloat because the mechanics don't make the game worse, they're all masterfuly implemented and add depth to the game, but they certainly increase the learning curve.

I'm guessing what happens is the core dev team comes up with a coherent system to begin with, then individual devs add new features in expansions and DLCs without fully integrating the new stuff with the old stuff.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Killing Vikings gets so wearisome in early starts for CK2 :( they just keep charging at me like lemmings

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Paradox please add a 6 month character modifier to rulers who defeat raiding armies, and make raiders less likely to raid characters with that modifier

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes, there should be no vikings in the viking age.

Vikings should pick on easier targets

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Great job everyone, we must have sent at least 5 chickens and a cow back to the homeland before we were brutally butchered by the local garrison

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Except that, using the longbow as an example, that's exactly what happened historically?

It takes a decade or more of practice to learn to accurately shoot a bow that's in excess of 130 pounds draw weight, and absolutely no one needs a bow that powerful in civilian life, so that practice had to be enshrined in law. Widespread proficiency is these weapons isn't an inherent cultural trait, it's the direct result of government policy.

An institution built up over "a decade or more" isn't going to disappear the day after a ruler dies

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
January 13th, 1257: Richard of Cornwall elected King of the Romans and crowned by the Archbishop of Cologne
January 14th, 1257: The German Warhorse becomes extinct

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

I don't know, why does it matter why?

Historically longbow practice isn't an inherent cultural trait, people only did it because they were coerced, so it dying off because Sultan John doesn't like the idea isn't actually that strange a thing. Just thought I'd point that out.

You're an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I gotta say, as much as I like learning about the game the WWW streams are not as interesting now that most of Europe has been taken over due to some AI glitches. Not a whole lot going on...

How long ago did you get that text av

Did you get your account when you were 7