Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No orbiting planets. :saddowns: I don't know why but orbiting planets in 4x games just does it for me. I'd probably buy any piece of poo poo early access MOO 2 "spiritual successor" just as long as it had orbiting planets and more or less regardless of other features or lack thereof. There's something wrong with me I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think we all forgot the real ancient empire.

What insanity is that from? Kim Jong Un's teenage fanfiction?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well if it never happened it's not really fair to blame anyone for it is it? More allied smear propaganda.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Excellent timing paradox, I was just wrestling with the temptation to buy some DLC at full price yesterday. I'm glad I won.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
EU IV: Common sense. Steam reviews are terrible, but the op says to get it but is only 1 line. Has it been patched into a good addition?

E: the parts that sound most concerning to me is the forts mechanic and that apparently you can't develop provinces without the dlc?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Dibujante posted:

My hunch is the other way - otherwise you'd need to both befriend and claim yugoslavia to start a war with albania.

Seems so, and the red ! on a green diamond presumably indicates mutually incompatible ideas.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe you could get a job as interior decorator.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait until winter sale unless you're in a super rush.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If only Magna Mundi hadn't ruined everything...

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
EU 4 has weather?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Winters are represented on the terrain map already though aren't they?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

NWS RTW is the only ship design screen I have ever been really comfortable with, even though it looks like it was from 1995. Adapt it a little for space combat (but not too much because WW1 in space would be more interesting than WW2) and slap on some fancy GUI and call it a day. Actually after that ring up the NWS guys and hire them to make a naval/air game spanning the whole 20th century.

GOTY twice in one year?!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

wukkar posted:

What exactly does the 'colonial service' checkbox impact?

Adds around 2% to your weight, makes the ship count for 150% displacment when calculating foreign station tonnages. Rooms and stores for marines to keep order in the colonies.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Does this mean it can manage amphibious ops?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Rats are pretty intelligent really, in the grand scheme of things.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Fine by me, I bet those guys are all really poo poo at it anyway.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of like that particular one, actually. The hammer and sickle are in a bit of a weird rotation though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Please make Fascist India have a swastika, but the right way round.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Q1 2016 isn't it? I'm sure it'll be delayed 6 months to a year though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
More depressing than funny I would say. How can you be so lacking basic self awareness even if you are a massive Nazi shithead?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd be very disappointed if we can't have colonisable moons. Maybe not moons as small and inhospitable as ours, but larger moons certainly ought to be I would hope.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why do you have a chain link fence in your office?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No those were cloned Horatios totally different species of poo poo head.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If so there unironicaly better be an option to wage internal genocide against fursonas.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You can safely ban all those fuckers I'm sure cause how else are they going to live out their fantasies? Paradox is the only supplier of that particular drug, and man are they addicted.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Do you know what a coup d'etat is? Yes, but do you know what a coup d'etat is? Yes but do you know.... :suicide:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The possibilities for racial segregation are endless!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Koramei posted:

New Stellaris dev diary on science ships

that planet in the second screenshot is gorgeous

Can I just say that I hate the "can only research something once trope". If that was true in real life and an initial wrong conclusion destroyed all evidence or future possibility of research then we would never have got anywhere at all. I don't even think it makes for good gameplay, it just encourages stupid gamey poo poo like using only 1 scientist to research all the anomalies you find to pump their xp into some sort of super genius. Doesn't make any sense at all. Yes you can come up with other mechanics to punish such tactics, but why can't you just remove the incentive to do it in the first place?

Oh look, we have found a strange and wondrous alien artefact, better not pay any attention to it at all until our xenobilochemolinguistastrophysimathematian can come and research it. Presumably by eating it, since no traces are left thereafter.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

zedprime posted:

Its weird to not see it mentioned in the science dev diary so hopefully its still in, but Doomdark explained at Gamescom that while anomalies are once and done, galactic features can house multiple anomalies that could be hidden and only show up when certain requirements are met.

Also he didn't explain what scientists could be doing while not on a science vessel and why you wouldn't want them to always be on one, if for any other reason that rotating out a stable of more than 3.

e. That is to say I expect that time pressure is going to dictate you keep research pressure up to minimize any sort of scientist skill loading or shuffling.

ee. it also depends on the event writing, which has been good but bad in CK2 (or bad but good), but he mentions the failure state is figuring out the wrong thing about an anomaly. So you could just file the Galaxan Death Beam in the museum under Galaxan Tea Set if you aren't smart enough to figure out how to turn on the death beam.

Ok that's fine, but why should that mean that no one else can come along and tinker with the tea set and wipe out a planet? Time pressure against using just one scientist is precisely what I mean when I say I hate the mechanics that are usually implemented to try and balance this, it just makes it feel like the game is taunting you with the possibilities of what you could discover, then punishing you when you try to do so. Either by using one scientist and falling behind or else by using many scientists and loving up your future research potential. It's just not a fun or rewarding mechanic at all. At best you just feel like you've gamed it the objectively correct way/got lucky, never that you have been rewarded for an actual plausible approach to discovering alien artefacts.

Why can't it just be that every time a given scientist fails at researching an anomaly, his chance of success at the next attempt goes down a little. After a while it would be obvious he has totally the wrong approach to the problem so you bring in someone else who has a different idea of how to investigate it. That's not to say there shouldn't be some chance of failure resulting in destruction of the artefact or worse, but to have it be a 50% chance or more (which the diary heavily implies it will be, as per usual for this kind of mechanic), is extremely not fun at all.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I refuse to believe I can be the only sperg lord who find's it supremely frustrating when a game dangles a cool potential thing infront of your nose then goes nope, gently caress you, you rolled the dice wrong and takes it away again. Yes, I could start a different game and maybe I'd get lucky in that one, but I want to make meaningful decisions not rely on luck. Obviously games like these are making huge use of die rolls, but it needs to be kept far down under the hood, if you shove it in the players face that they are just rolling dice what's the point of playing the game? I might as well just go sit in the corner and roll physical die: "6! that means I discovered the death star and wiped out the umpa bumpa planet!"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I also just really like the idea that Joe Smith shows up and studies the thing and publishes his findings and is like "This is a giant kettle" and decides to subscribe to Giant Kettle Theory for the rest of his life. And a year later Jane Mbutu shows up because she was unconvinced by his publication so she examines it, but she also ends up publishing her findings as "Yeah, this totally is a giant kettle" and joins the Giant Kettle Theory school. And so it's accepted that it's a giant kettle.

But then ten years later Pavel Kutuzov, by this point an established mid-career scientist with a lot of experience, decides to take another look at Giant Kettle Theory and examines it only to discover that it's actually a giant death laser, and publishes his findings and unlocks the discovery for the broader empire. Or, alternately, he also subscribes to Giant Kettle Theory and you have to wait for a new generation of scientists many turns later, who are able to make better discoveries because you've researched more laser technology so they're more likely to recognize a giant death laser when they see one.

This would be further improved if there were two levels of non-discovery: a low level (which low level scientists would have a higher chance of getting) where they don't make a discovery but also don't conclusively prove nothing is there (so the anomaly doesn't disappear) and a high level (which high level scientists would have a higher chance of getting) where they don't make a discovery but conclusively prove there's nothing there and the anomaly then disappears so you don't spend any more time chasing red herrings. Ideally there would be some small bonus here, like your civilization was really in need of a giant kettle anyway so you still benefit somehow.

And of course by trying to minmax every discovery you run increasing risks of blowing up your valuable scientists examining the same anomaly over and over again.

Something like that would have far more character to the game in my opinion. It make your scientists seem like actual characters, other approaches just have your scientists be dice. Obviously your scientists still are dice, but by putting that extra layer on top of them they are dice that you remember and care for. You will remember when some forgotten mad scientist who has been rejected by mainstream thought for a decade discovers the secret to AI in what every body else was deeply convinced was a ritualistic dildo, and triumphs over all the people who had sneered at him. You will not remember when faceless super scientist Blah Blah McBlah who has spent the last 10 years been farmed on every anomaly your empire discovers is finally allowed to approach the level 100 anomaly and unlocks building the death star.

In the end isn't that the charm of paradox games? The emergent narrative that comes from all these interacting systems? I don't see a traditional approach to anomalies adding to that, quite the contrary.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure you can rename ships, and any other unit too.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah but in vicky if someone else researches machine guns first, it doesn't mean you don't get machine guns. It just means you loose out on any prestige the tech might carry.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Kavak posted:

Makes sense- The Monroe Doctrine was all about European interference, we never gave a poo poo about Latin American countries beating each other up, especially in South America once you left the Caribbean coast. US probably would react badly if another country was out-and-out annexed, though.

EDIT: What's the focus called "Pearl Harbor Gambit"?

Historically the US deployed a large chunk of it's surface fleet to Pearl as a sort of final ultimatum, presumably ingame this moves 8 BBs and a bunch of other poo poo to Pearl and causes a huge relations drop with Japan, triggering their Pearl Harbour event.

E: Is war plan white alliance with Japan, or Germany, or both? I'd be interesting for there to be an option to settle peaceably with Japan and join them in grabbing as much colonial land as possible.

EE: What's "WPA"?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 6, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Alikchi posted:

I love the focus trees and the inclusion of alt-hist possibilities. I'm going to mod the hell out of this game. Sad I'm not in the beta.

Nobody's in the beta yet, we don't find out until the 11th, I think?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Last time it got linked in the grog thread they don't even transform, they sail around on surf boards and shoot at each other whilst giving each other girlish cries of encouragement. :iit:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Crash74 posted:

Where is the anime about the rape of nanking and the brutal rear end poo poo the ija did to chinese civilians or pow's? All turned into pre-pubescent schoolgirls of course "tee-hee I need to sharpen my bayonet on this baby, oops my boobie popped out".

How is this poo poo even legal? Wouldn't german government shut this poo poo down if it was released there?

Probably, but Germany has, by and large dealt with its WW2 legacy with dignity, both on a governmental and individual level. Japan, ehh.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure if a country doesn't have specific models for tanks or whatever they'll just get medium tank II, ect.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Imagine what they could do if they had a budget. Paradox is probably burned out on E v. W, though.

Yes, they are. To the extent that they have sworn never to license out their engine again I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone ever played long enough to find out if it was :godwin: or not but I haven't heard so particularly. It was just plain atrocious. There's a quick explanation in the OP, I think. Or there was in the last one at least.