Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

If the 3D graphics in our games is causing your computer to chug, you probably are on Windows 95, was my point. If not, HOI4 will not perform better with counters.

EU IV's graphics cause my 4-year-old integrated chipset to chug, but the models have absolutely nothing to do with it for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, one day Paradox will stop making CK2 DLC. The sale after that, I will finally catch up on DLC and break free of this compulsion not to play until I have all the major DLCs.

Me too, friend, me too. :smith:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

rizzen posted:

I do want to play it, it's the only game of their giant line that I haven't actually tried yet. I've heard though, that just getting Darkest Hour is a better idea?

Get Darkest Hour if you want to try out Kaiserreich, otherwise just wait for Hearts of Iron IV.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Development can get a little insane when OPMs are left with nothing to spend MP on but upgrading their provinces (Most noticeable in America), but I'm okay with it since its part of EU IV's transition into an effective EU V. Maybe a cooldown timer before you can upgrade a single province again, or at least a single category?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Or maybe just by tech group or government type. I'm fine with taking Hamburg in the late game and having to put in like 250 Diplo points to core it, but eastern Ohio should not have more people than Massachusetts in 1792.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's Generals and Admirals, not officers, but it is raw numbers that boost your score there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The militancy stuff is really counterintuitive and gamey, and I hope Victoria 3 figures out a better system. Someone suggested that the player needs more incentive to play an ultraconservative bastard, at least in the early game. Reforms should reduce prestige- the less you have to concede to the masses, the better. In the 2nd half of the game, the US begins its rise from a nobody on the world stage to industrial titan, France becomes a Republic again, while von Bismarck builds a welfare state and absolutist Russia starts to look all kinds of hosed up. By that point, things should have begun to swing in the opposite direction a little- reforms become acceptable, just don't go overboard and become communists or anything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Yeah, the older HoI games show ships sunk, but not assists it seems, ie;

hidden in a panel in their own unit panel, foregoing the general ships sunk tab, of course.

What kind of game of Kaiserreich were you playing where you used a nuclear carrier against Germany's 1930's navy? Was this a late game thing and the AI is insanely bad at upgrading?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yes, please do templates. Hitting mobilize and having, say, 15000-man divisions with one artillery brigade show up where I want them several months later is much better than the swarms of unmanageable conscripts Vicky II has.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The name also has to lead in to a horrible pun or joke Johan can add to the Comet Sighted event. Leviathan definitely allows for a "space monster" option.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

Someone did ask for an 1821 start (Not really Victorian, but better than playing those 15 years in EU IV).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's important that Victoria X starts with a "clean" new world where the revolts that are going to happen have already happened, instead of spain still retaining the intent to reclaim its american holdings, so no 1836 really should stay the Vicky start date.

If EU IV can find a way to represent very early railroads and industrialization (Maybe have manufactories give a % bonus to production income overall or something to make them actually worth building), I'll agree. I understand your problem with the clusterfuck most of America would be, but I don't want Paradox to cut out any years, especially since they're willing to sell converter tools now. Besides, they can always keep the 1836 and later start dates :v:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like the multiple factions system, but I really hope a lot of these rules aren't hard-coded, or I'm going to be waiting a few expansions or so to try adapting Kaiserreich.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My main problem is the lower number of ideologies- I assume Communists and Fascists can be renamed into Syndicalists and whatever blanket term fits the right in Kaiserreich if any, but there's no point in having elections for them (Which I'm sure is also an option) if the only options are totally different ideologies.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can a country be part of more than one faction at a time? And do support units on a division stack? (Can I create a super-suppression unit of nothing but MP companies or a death division with five artillery units?)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Does anyone ever actually play as the US in Vicky 2?

I do it a lot. I take a perverse glee in sabotaging the Confederate war effort before it can even begin to coalesce (Turn all southern soldier pops into irregulars, admit every state I can as a free one, etc.)

I feel like a lot of the hangups around Hearts of Iron are personal- mine are. I can't play the main campaign as anybody because I keep thinking about my grandfather's time in the 65th Infantry or my maternal grandparents working in Britain during the Blitz. My uncle's father was a camp survivor to boot. It's a little neurotic, but WWII is real to a lot of people in a way other time periods aren't.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I had read that POP Demand had started to turn itself around- I guess that's not true?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

Music to my ears. :anarchists:

My prayers have been answered! Thank you Paradox! :D

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Haha, the "democratic" peace theory. More like the Rothschild central banker peace theory.

Are you arguing that common economic ties help to prevent violent conflict or...?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

What is your reaction to this image?

That's pretty much the answer to whether you'll like the game, I think.

(The thread is here.)

Would not buy, would read/participate in Lets Play of.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

YoSaff posted:

Supreme Ruler: Cold War. Worth three dollars?

If you'd enjoy a game that is somehow worse than the unfinished alpha of East vs. West that got leaked, yes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can't find it right now but there's a video of someone playing Silent Hunter and jumping their sub out of the water at the right angle to land on a Japanese ship. I demand that be a valid if suicidal tactic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Test of Time, its soundtrack, and its scenarios will always hold a special place in my heart, mostly because it was my first strategy game. The only thing Civ 4 had missing was Civ 3's palace screen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can you at least promise me that HoI4's AI will know how to conduct a goddamn naval invasion?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I get why people would try to cheat their way to victory with Byzantium, but what's the deal with the HYW events? I never heard about any of this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Groogy posted:

Define "manage"?
No specifically naval invasions are a hard nut to crack in AI and do it well. Not the area I've been working with in the AI but I have seen while testing my more "The Big Picture AI" stuff actually planning a Naval invasion of Britain and succeeding. But the AI can always be improved upon.

That's 100 times better than Darkest Hour at least. :)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Groogy posted:

Trade is quite simple, only thing it doesn't display properly as far as I can remember is the domestic trade modifier and the abroad modifier in the trade screen. Other than that there are not that much hidden complexity to the trade system.

After a little experimentation and reading, I figured out EU 4's trade system- push towards monopolized or near-monopolized nodes, collect when there's more than one node between you and your destination, etc. What I don't quite get is what it represents. What is steering and collecting abstracting?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Also signed up. Please don't laugh at my lovely 4-year-old laptop, my family's poor and I can't get a job.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I kind of picture every naval unit (Except maybe big ships) as groups, so that's more like flooding the area with your merchant marine so that people basically have to choose your ships to transport their stuff, giving you an edge over the competition.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It also doesn't handle American statehood well. States can get into the Union waaay too fast in Vicky 2, and there's no real reason not to admit them ASAP other than roleplaying (There's free state/slave state issues and such but it never feels like it's seriously disrupting the balance of power in the US). I think there should be a cooldown timer from territory or colonial state to full state, something that makes you wait like 10-15 years after acquiring territory to make it a state, or make the process more involved than a percentage of bureaucrats. California only took 2 1/2 years, but it had the gold rush sending thousands of people there and was the target of the entire war, so it's special.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I only just realized after months of following HoI IV's development that we haven't seen any laws for political freedoms. Will there be one or will I have to mod one in? I imagine it would tie into espionage and occupation policies and might be for later Dev Diaries.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MilkmanLuke posted:

They had mentioned that in an earlier dev diary. Dynamic civil wars are a thing. If you want Germany led by gay, black Hitler, it's likely to trigger a civil war if you can't get overwhelming support.

quote:

Dynamic civil wars

:circlefap: Kaiserreich for HoI IV may actually be easier to make than Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think war is really the point of Victoria. It sucks at simulating WW1. It's way more of a colonialism and industrialization game and any sequel should focus more on those.

Yeah, Vicky 2's army system is meant for giant roving post-Napoleonic armies. It does that job quite well, but as it nears the end of the 19th century it starts to break down. The problem is Hearts of Iron is only up to handling World War One, not the turbulence of the interbellum, so Vicky III needs something to handle trench warfare.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

The lesson here is to not let your badboy go over the limit.

Yeah, disarming your navy was also a boneheaded move, but unless you're playing as China and have more soldiers than the rest of the world has people, do not exceed the infamy limit or everyone and everything will try to kill you.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I do hope it's really easy to make empire graphics though. Simple 2d portraits and some txt files or what ever. Workshop will be full of cool race sets.

I've been reading each dev diary with Star Trek in mind and I will poo poo blood if I cannot make a multiracial portrait pack that unlocks new portraits as races join the Federation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Paradox just announced buying White Wolf from CCP.

Next expansions for CK2 to include Werewolves and Vampires?

Holy poo poo I thought you were joking

quote:

Games developer Paradox Interactive buying role playing game company White Wolf Publishing in a multi-million business . "This is our largest investment to date ," says CEO Fredrik Wester. The acquisition is a cash transaction in which Paradox Interactive adds " several tens of million " on the table . The seller is the Icelandic Group, CCP Games , the company behind the multiplayer game EVE Online .

"This is fantastic fun and a great relief that we can pay 100 percent of Paradox own cash ," said Fredrik Wester.

With 200 employees , a more extensive game catalog and three million registered users count Paradox now among Sweden's major game developers.

White Wolf Publishing owns the rights to some of the world's biggest role play, including the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade . There are brands that spawned books, board games , card games and computer games on multiple platforms, and stood as a model for the TV series .

"Vampire is the world's second best-selling role-playing and is special because half of all players are women ," said Fredrik Wester.
He expects the acquisition in the short term can increase Paradox turnover with a couple of million. White Wolf has annual sales, according to Fredrik Wester, in the day 4-5 million a year.

Paradox Interactive has recently had substantial tailwind thanks to the success of the game Cities: Skylines. Already at half year sales doubled compared to all of last year's figures. Much speaks for Paradox reaching over 500 million in sales this year.

"There will probably be a pretty good bit north of half a billion," said Fredrik Wester.

Paradox Interactive has in the past ten years has grown steadily. In the back, the company investment company stall and then just over a year even financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures who entered with 28 million.

First, in 2017 it may be necessary to release new games based on any of the White Wolf's brands.

"It's a bet we do, but we see great potential in making these brands broader and introduce them to more players."

Paradox plan and to develop a number of own PC games, and is also actively seeking licensing partners for some titles. Fredrik Wester exclude nor that they will give out mobile games based on the newly acquired titles.

But the marks of this kind are sensitive matter. Players are extremely dedicated and discerning. In order to maintain close contact with the fans do Paradox because White Wolf for an independent subsidiary. President becomes Tobias Sjögren, Paradox Interactive's former sales director, who has worked on the Dice.

He will be the base of a kind of licensed companies like Saltkråkan AB, which owns and manages the rights to Astrid Lindgren's book cat. The new company will be sharing facilities with Paradox Interactive on Södermalm in Stockholm.

"We start with two employees but expects two years that there will be a dozen people. It is not impossible either that we are opening an office in Los Angeles to White Wolf ", said Fredrik Wester.

He sees no danger in the trend of books, movies and television series about vampires peaked among teenagers.

"I absolutely believe that it will come to life again. Even if it could be done, there is a strong nostalgivåg to ride on. Those who played these games in their teens are 25-40 years now and will want to do it again. "

Previously, Paradox Interactive has become known for historically inspired and role-playing tendencies, strategy game Crusader Kings and Magicka. Last summer it was revealed that the studio is heading into space with the upcoming game Stellaris. The work is led by the renowned game designer Henrik Fåhreus.

Fredrik Wester is secretive about whether Paradox Interactive, with the acquisition of the White Wolf, now approaching an IPO. There is something both big stall owner and investor Peter Lindell previously announced.

"We must ensure that the portfolio is growing but at the same time have long term financial stability. There are several different ways to go, "said Fredrik Wester.

Paradox AND Obsidian working on White Wolf properties. I feel like someone combined peanut butter and chocolate for the first time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Another Person posted:

Is that google translated from Swedish or anything like that? Because the grammar is rooooough.

I think so. I got it from the World of Darkness thread in Trad. Games. Funny thing is that I asked just yesterday why Onyx Path hadn't bought back the name White Wolf yet.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox goes public. Bought by some giant publisher. Everything turns to poo poo. :negative:

Great, now I'm depressed :smith:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NewMars posted:

Edit: Which reminds me, they should buy Holistic designs and make a new Hammer of the Gods game.

Oh gently caress the hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I assume your state has to exist as something other than a government-in-exile for its casualties to matter (Which I'm sure is what Mackus was referring to :downs:). China's only claims on the Axis were Manchukuo and Taiwan (Plus Japan's foreign concessions, please god let the map be small enough for those, Kaiserreich will be so improved for it), which they got. There was also the whole civil war issue...