Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Westminster System posted:

As long as I can divide all the things it'll be good.

What the hell did you do? :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

popewiles posted:

Britain's parents shipped him off to military school. Belgium and the Netherlands grew up to build skyscrapers. Germany went to college and became a pediatrician. France played triple A ball and never got to the majors. The USSR got really into the sixities and no one ever saw him again. America grew up and married Wendy Peffercorn; they bought the Five & Dime and they still own it to this day. Switzerland lived to be 199 years old... in human years.

Poland: Whereabouts Unknown.

Czechoslovakia:

Married 1945.

Divorced 1993.

Yugoslavia: Killed by his own troops in Slovenia.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Make a Fallout-flavored modmod or I will lose the ability to feel human and turn into a feral ghoul.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Westminster System posted:

The GP part, considering it was my puppet.

Puppets and especially spherelings can and will worm their way out of your control, especially if they get a ton of prestige early in the game. It's always a fun game as Prussia when Bavaria becomes a great power.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Despite never moving beyond a conservative monarchy and being at 50% literacy by 1910, my released and sphered Hungry was constantly just at the edge of Great Power status while playing as the South German Confederation. Once they managed to slip in to 8th, immediately became allies with North Germany and England and declared war on me for Croatia. Some friends...

Kind of like how Mexico reached Rank #8 in my non-violent US playthrough and I promptly threw everything out the window to drive them back down into secondary power status.

On a similar note, am I the only one who thinks of literacy as a general level of education? Like 100% literacy is all college graduates or something. Because having it as a percentage for even single digit pops is weird.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Another Person posted:

Is Bavaria becoming a GP not a normal thing to happen in Viccy 2? It happened in my first proper game and I thought things could normally go like that. They kicked the poo poo out of Prussia multiple times even with no allies. It was really funny and kinda sad at the same time.

It can happen, though Prussia losing to them not so much. Who knows, Vicky II's AI can bungle even the surest wars.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah and it is entirely a possibility now. The genres can be really meshed with the IPs. CCP did jack poo poo with it except half work on a WoW clone for nearly a decade.

Like many, many other companies, they jumped on the MMO bandwagon after World of Warcraft started going gangbusters (Though I think they bought White Wolf in 2003 and the merger came 3 years later), and were in too deep when it became apparent they'd totally misread the market. The difference is they already had EVE (So they should've known how the MMO market was going to go) and instead just sat on an incredibly marketable property for no reason. I don't understand why they didn't try to offload it after the recession- maybe they tried to get development started up again and it fell flat?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

zedprime posted:

Research has been described as a core gameplay feature and the driving impetus of the first gameplay phase of Stellaris, and an important conflict trigger mechanism in the middle and final phases. Therefore I am forced to assume an absent minded scientist can accidentally flush the next level of warp drives down the toilet forever. There is only one ancient warp manuscript left in the universe, and Dr. Magoo just used it to wipe his rear end because he misunderstood the intern when he said it was the "key to TP technology!" and the silly old doctor thought that meant toiletpaper instead of teleportation.

Fish it out before he flushes it, we can probably still use it!

So, the Federation's special ability will be that all vessels count as science ships. Kirk doesn't seem like a Scientist captain, but as long as Archaeology counts we can fit Picard in just fine...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kirk is clearly a sexologist.

That's obviously a diplomatic talent :spergin:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

With whatever engine they create after Clausewitz, maybe. It would also solve the problem of West Virginia- states aren't supposed to spring into existence in the middle of the game, but it does.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm always a little worried posting joke threads to the PDX forums. I think the mods have a pretty good sense of humor, but they have to deal with so many messed up people :(

Someone make an account and post this:

quote:

im permabanned poster slavstomper88. i first started playing paradox games when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "pretty borders" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "factroy" and "As a Bulgarian state we gain several bonuses" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing rebel stacks in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. i'm now on antipsychotics (+.05 consciousness, -.1 militancy). i always wondered what the kind of "pretty borders" style of paradox gaming was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenia and comet sightings. i would advise all people who "get" grand strategy to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to the posessed trait. white peace.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Will there be dynamic province names or at least renameable (By event or otherwise) provinces in HoI IV? It'd be great for Kaiserreich.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Riso posted:

That is the worst 'feature'. You never know where or what province something is.

Are you referring to multiplayer? Can't it just be turned off by the host if it's going to be a problem?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Makes sense- The Monroe Doctrine was all about European interference, we never gave a poo poo about Latin American countries beating each other up, especially in South America once you left the Caribbean coast. US probably would react badly if another country was out-and-out annexed, though.

EDIT: What's the focus called "Pearl Harbor Gambit"?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

(It actually does sound like something that will provide a huge relationship penalty to Japan and maybe trigger them in to declaring war)

That would be the embargo, but if "Stalin Was Right" will be a thing, so can this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I won't be satisfied until every single state is a separate state, especially in New England. Citizens and children of Connecticut unite!

Drone posted:

Good to see HOI4 is continuing the time-honored Hearts of Iron tradition of somehow completely loving up American borders.

LOOK AT MAINE. And that extra-flaccid uncut Floridick.

Did this thread have an equivalent back when HoI III was in development? It must have been like East vs. West on steroids.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm just mad because my dream job doesn't actually exist. Hopefully Kaiserreich will look good on my resume for someone...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Just give me some other ways to generate it- let the military academy spawn an extra point of military power per month, let republics get bonus points from the legislature itself on top of the elected leader, etc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Groogy posted:

Then we are kinda progressing slowly back to the old system though....
The monarch points being a very finite source is also why it is working so well in gameplay terms. Either way towards mid-late and late game I have more points than I ever need anyway so don't see why I would need to generate more, if anything I need more sinks. (Though Development is filling that in very nicely)

How so?
I'm kind of the opposite- I need tons of Monarch points for ideas, research, etc., but most of the buildings available have such a long RoI time, especially in later scenarios (You need to get buildings set for those, it's kind of stupid to be building a Temple in a 1790's European capital) that I end up swimming in gold with nothing really worth spending it on except forts. And there needs to be something other than your leader to generate points- it's very Big Man theory, and while it works for absolute monarchies and the like, it doesn't make a lot of sense for countries with less concentrated power to be totally dependent on their leader.

*Mostly manufactories. Have those things ever been useful?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Another Person posted:

e; I don't look at buildings as a 'RoI' situation. I look at them as "increases total monthly income, allowing me to field a bigger army or employ better advisers". I never get people looking at RoI. They are more about maintaining a stable economy and staying in positive income at all times than making a profit.

I tend to play countries that already have a budget so large I'm constrained by the force limit instead, if that helps. I also need a decent balance for events and such.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who is he referring to with the grandfathering?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Ah, but the Kaiserreich forums are clearly only for internal development purposes and certainly do not provide any download links, of course.

Yes, and all download links are to Paradox-approved sites (MEGA, Mediafire, etc.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gort posted:

It seems like the National Focus system is stealing most of the good stuff from Kaiserreich anyway.

Yeah, modding is going to be so easy with that thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

As much as being paid to mod video games excites me, I think they said they want to leave alt-history scenarios as a modder-only thing. I don't know if it has something to do with the hilarious uproar over Sunset Invasion or if it's just policy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I googled it and found an attempt Chief Savage Man made to figure it out almost 4 years ago :v: https://drawception.com/viewgame/my8GphB84S/courage-push-the-bravery/ (Mildly :nws:)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Randarkman posted:

What the hell is "the Courage Push the Bravery"? The only thing I can find by googling it is that it is some guy's signature from the paradox forums with "- Iron Cross" added. So it sounds like some nazi poo poo.

Iron Cross was an absolutely batshit "expansion" for HoI II that featured terrifying tech and province counts, awful translation, and required an irreversible overwrite of an existing HoI II or HoI II-derivative install.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

At least keep in the game files.

Also that World Tension icon in the upper right corner looks awesome, though I wish it covered the whole globe at 100%.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Should they throw their children or ineffective beta testers into a sinkhole to appease Satan?

Give it a good tumble!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think there're resources that feed into consumer goods any more (Correct me if I'm wrong), which is the best way to simulate starving out a country. It was technically possible to do with Japan in DH, but with stockpiles it was incredibly difficult. Isn't portraying this still illegal in Germany, though?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just make the German flavor text say something about the enemy being deprived of good beer, causing them to lose the will to fight.

Ireland's hours away, though :confused:

I maintain that it was the depletion of the coffee supplies of Germany and her allies that cost them both World Wars. I would've unconditionally surrendered the moment the first cup of ersatz was served.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The last one is the best. I think Paradox is indirectly getting rid of the wehraboos by designing the game to piss them off- as a bonus, it gets rid of non-Nazi grogs.

I'm still kind of confused on a few things and I'd like to see an example campaign or some such to see how supply in an area being fought over is handled. I'm sure the way ships work makes sense in context in the game.

Side question, how are coal-fired ships handled?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm not in, hopefully somebody from Kaiserreich got in so they can give input.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did they say how they determine which state sides with who?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

he and podcat also note that the AI won't launch coups, and will probably continue not doing so except in special cases (because otherwise 'there would be no ww2'), which seems a little odd to me.

The HoI IV AI may be too smart for its own good- I think it was Podcat that said he had to apply obscene modifiers to the Japanese AI to make it think attacking the US was a winnable and good idea.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Without bringing in some CK II mechanics, there's no way to represent the out-of-control nature of the Imperial Army. I'm kind of amazed they managed to confine themselves to assassinations and coup plots and nobody launched an armed insurrection.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Just make it so that the Japan AI cannot launch amphibious invasions unless the target province is out of supply.

I don't get it. :confused:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That's part of what's kept me from playing Hearts of Iron as heavily as other Paradox games, despite my work on Kaiserreich- I go kind of nuts when I can't tell exactly how strong my opponent is before I go to war.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

:raise:

Don't get me started.

He's just quoting a Paradox forums poster.

Kaiserreich doesn't even get mentioned until Page 2, for shame. Then again I loving hate the ACW and would be glad to see it purged altogether, despite my love of the Combined Syndicates and Pacific States, so I'm conflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Make it cool and good. Give Jack Reed the most gloriously :ussr: portrait.

I think we'll stick with photos, except the Mad Baron is going to have that one incredibly creepy portrait of him instead. I wouldn't mind portraits, but unless we can find someone to draw all of them...