Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Autonomous Monster posted:

The real reason no one bothers making fantasy/sci fi TC mods for EUIV the way they do for CK2 is that, well, EU's systems are really great at talking about geopolitical movements on centennial scales

So, a Foundation mod? I'd play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

NATO counters are worse than Hitler.

This discussion is pretty dumb since, as they said many times, HOI4 will have grog counters as an option.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Kavak posted:

Yeeesss, critique the accuracy of the uniforms and weapons, soon you will be begging for the return of counter chat! :kheldragar:

They can't be accurate because how would they sell cosmetic dlc later?

Edit: This is an ironic post

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Zombie apocalypse DLC please

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Yeah, let's argue about something more productive, like adding a globe mode to paradox games

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So would the federation, or whatever it is called in Starship Troopers, be a poor man's collective of sorts or some kind of limited democracy? All of the citizens pitch in and donate years of their lives to the central government in order to be given votes.

Though I guess that comparison leans more towards democracy since people are not forced into government service, they are just incentivized to do so.

No joke, my first game in Stellaris will be as the Federation, trying to find and exterminate every bug i can find

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I played Witcher 3 on release, on a computer that i'm sure was under the official minimum requirements and still had no problems at all, except for Novigrad where my computer was asking to die and the framerate was garbage. Which makes me appreciate Skellige much more actually, because that was the smoothest of experiences. That's my 2 cents on this very minor issue.

Furthermore, i consider that CK3 should be made.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Searching for Roman Province on google gives me some interesting results.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Could just be Iberia is unfinished :shrug:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Tomn posted:

OK, hands up, how many people here have actually played EU: Rome?

I played for a day with Wiz's mod and then i got a consistent crash at a specific date. EU: Rome was some unstable trash and i'm glad it's getting another chance.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

Now I'm really worried I have no idea how to pronounce Imperator. I've never taken any Latin studies or listened to any lectures on the topic. How is it usually pronounced?

Don't forget to roll that R. Civ 5's Augustus does it ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bspvbLB6QkI

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I have to admit, i like both of those better than what Paradox is going with.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

EU4 buildings are cool and good and the building manager makes the pain go away.

CK2 buildings are boring as gently caress.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Ancient Cities looks amazing and i hope it becomes everything it is trying to be.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

But will all those provinces have alternate romanized names for when i conquer them?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Veni, Vidi, Victoria III

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's never Victoria.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think if I'd been able to afford to create the Kingdom of Ireland, I could have destroyed lesser titles, right? And then I'd have lost less on succession? Or what is the actual use case for destroying titles?

If you had created the Kingdom, your main heir would have been king while the others would have been vassals under him. Destroying titles is very useful for succession planning, but not on Confederate Partition, since that creates the titles anyway when you die. Anything better than Confederate though and you can destroy titles safely.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's called the Geist.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

idhrendur posted:

I'm trying to piece together the history of megacampaigns. There's been many significant ones here on SA. I've already noted Kingdom Come, Hohenzollern, Blood in the Bosphorus, Let’s Wear Black, Al Andalus, and Roof of the World. Are there others I should be noting? Any that were particularly inspiring or groundbreaking?

Srbja

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

With waffleimages restored Srbja LP is finally back in all of it's dubious glory.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234431

Except for the one person who used tinypic. RIP that person's updates.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

? Oh. So is the eu:rome Crete LP saved as well?

Yeah, though all of Wiz' updates were hosted on his personal domain, so that was never affected. But the senate's posts are all restored now.

Mantis42 posted:

? What's waffleimages deal? How can pictures disappear for a decade and then return?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970324&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 10, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

CK3 launched with a more concise version of much of the content of those DLC. Islam, Steppe Nomads and jewish characters are already playable, India and the 867 start are already there, much of the philosophy of Way of Life informed the game design, the religious reformation system is basically the same but better, and it already came out with a much expanded Ruler Designer. They're never gonna do more start dates so Charlemagne is already tossed out, and while an official EU4 converter and Sunset Invasion 2 would be nice, the latter might make people lose their ability to feel human again.

I agree that it's missing much of the fun flavor of those DLCs, but what it has is solid. Honestly it's really that, looking back, CK2 was incredibly barebones at release (remember how there were only 2 de jure empires on the whole map at release, the HRE and Byz?), and we've since grown used to all the, frankly, basic things that Paradox had to add to it.

The things we're really fully missing that i think are sorely needed, aside from regional flavor, are playable republics, the College of Cardinals and better mechanics for the ERE. The only way to do a big map expansion again would be adding China, and that would be a massive effort.

But honestly i was very sick of CK2's DLC bloat at the end of its lifetime, like how people (justifiably) feel about EU4 currently.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 9, 2023

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Imoerator: Rome was headed in a cool direction, shame it released in such a poor state that it never recovered the playerbase.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 10, 2023

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

ilitarist posted:

you probably wouldn't like if you don't like mission trees and want a more freeform strategic experience.

Idk, that describes me well and i still have a ton of fun with Anbennar. I once played a game as Venail where my one objective was to move to the New World and conquer a perfectly round empire.

You can always ignore the Mission Trees and do whatever you want.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Paradox Tinto has been posting some dev diaries of their new project and it kinda looks like EU5

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-1-february-28th-2024.1625360/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-2-march-6th-2024.1626415/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-3-march-13th-2024.1630154/

It has pops.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

EU3 started in 1399 since In Nomine, and the CK series has some weird hard limits on international diplomacy (smh at not being able to interact much with rulers of other religions, and the limits on negotiating alliances, anyone who has read about the Crusades or the Reconquista knows how involved christian-muslim diplomacy was). Plus, almost nobody plays Crusader Kings into the 14th and 15th centuries, so i don't mind having that era in Europa Universalis.

Hope i don't hype myself for a new Imperator.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Paradox probably thought they would please all sides.

Little did they know it caused 16 pages (so far) of bitter infighting.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

YF-23 posted:

posting diagrams trying to explain the relationship between the various words for "greek"

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's forgotten history now, but people complained that EU4 didn't have as much stuff as EU3 for years.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Obliterati posted:

Time to bring back the most engaging mechanic, sliders

I can't tell if you've read the dev diaries or not.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

You could subscribe for a month or two to get all the DLCs.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Building buildings with ducats. Pretty much everything that changed the "effectiveness" of provinces was a building. There were admin buildings, military buildings, economy buildings - and those had levels, so you could build a level 1 military building, then you unlock the level 2 military building with tech, which is better but more expensive and requires the level 1 building, and that goes on until about level 6 I think?

EU3 provinces also had population, which was a number that affected taxation, manpower, goods, etc, and would grow or decrease according to it's conditions. Usually the number would balloon to improbable heights by 1800.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Looking back at EU3 (i found an instructional LP while looking for pictures), i completely forgot that some of the art is still used in EU4. The advisors and buildings, and the icon for the army tab for example. The trade goods too.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 10, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Yeah, Institutions and Development are imo the two big changes that turned EU4 into the game we know.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I usually put the corruption slider at whatever i need to get a -0.1% corruption at minimum, more if i can spare the cash.

I sometimes fiddle with missionary and colonial maintenance but only out of desperation. Like "i can't pay for this colony but i still want it to block a rival's landgrab"

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'm gonna say that between sliders and buttons i prefer sliders just because they give a little more flexibility for what seems like little cost on the devs' time, but i don't understand why Johan feels the need to throw some shade there.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the vicky 3 approach of "just push this button for medium taxes" takes out the opportunity to obsess over small details that probably aren't important anyway. are you missing out on some ability to get a super optimal min-maxed tax setting by having so little granularity? maybe, but also i just don't think it matters. thinking about taxation sliders isn't fun, so i appreciate them just doing away with them.

The V3 approach is the same as a slider with only 5 steps instead of 1000. It makes no difference. If you want to have medium taxes with no fuss, move it to 50% and leave it there.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I just don't see sliders or buttons as really too different, besides people getting riled up that Johan was once again unprofessional and smugly called out his fellow devs for a minor creative difference.

We don't know how the game plays, how much you have to use the sliders or even how the automation feature works. Like, i agree that steps of 0.1% is too much but would be perfectly satisfied with steps of 1%.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The dev diaries have mentioned that there will always be a drawback whenever you move the slider. That could be made interesting. It certainly wasn't in EU3, which is my only reference. I haven't played MEIOU&Taxes so i don't know what they do, but it seems to be another of their influences (the third and final being Imperator).