Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

The ability to put individual buildings all over your empire, instead of assigning spending priorities by slider, sounds like a great feature until it turns into micromanagement hell.

On the other hand, it gives the colonies character and worth. If you've turned an irradiated hellhole into a lush paradise, you've invested a lot of resources and time into a colony. So when aliens come and bomb it into dirt, that loving matters to you. By comparison I've never managed to give a poo poo when pirates blew up a mining station or aliens conquered one of my colonies in Distant Worlds. They are both so utterly irrelevant that their loss isn't really felt. the only thing that distinguishes a colony in DW is the size of its spaceport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

No we don't

What do you think about PASCAL and Basic?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
BTW paradox has posted a programming challenge to code a pathfinder as your one-item job application: https://paradox.kattis.com/problems/paradoxpath

I got about halfway through reading the requirements before my brain just peace'd out. I get what it's supposed to do, and I could probably design a horribly unoptimized way to actually do it, but it has to be done in a certain way and yeah no, I'm a historian not a mechanic.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Does this mean it can manage amphibious ops?

There was a DD early on where Ethiopia managed to do a naval invasion of Italy. It caused some consternation because a) the AI wasn't supposed to be able to do naval invasions yet and b) Ethiopia doesn't have a fleet

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I quite agree, if he hadn't been literally Hitler, Hitler would have been remembered differently.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

Because the true wehraboo unironically believes that Hitler Did Nothing Wrong (tm).

What? No, Hitler did plenty wrong. You'd have to be insane not to say that. For example, the decision to hold back the tanks at Dunkirk was a clear mistake, as was the decision to wheel south in September 1941. If Hitler had instead ordered the advance on Moscow, he would have won the war easily. All in all the military performance of the Wehrmacht could be improved upon. If all of them had fought as hard and as honorable as the SS...

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Mod that replaces the ship images with that loving anime

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Crash74 posted:

When will we know who got into the hoi4 beta?

From what I read on the official forums, selection should be done by Friday, and everyone gets a mail. Usually it will read LOL NOPE (or words to that effect).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I used Arcade mode :colbert:

It was the only way to keep the supply system going. Beyond a certain point it would glitch hardcore, recall all supply from the network back to the capital for one day, then realize no one is getting any supplies the next day and dump it all back into the network. This repeated over and over again until all your units were at 0% supplies and were overrun by the enemy.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kavak posted:

Isn't portraying this still illegal in Germany, though?

It's not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I'm very excited to tell you all that I have not been chosen for the HoI4 beta! I guess being recruited for an internal alpha-test for Endless Space based on a HoI 3 mod I made still wasn't enough to earn a spot.

But then again, not having made any posts on the paradox forums in like 3 years probably didn't help.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kavak posted:

The British Revolution is in 1925 and is probably the most important and significant event in Kaiserreich's canon. Moving it would require rewriting goddamn everything. If I had the pull, I'd try to move the "Point of Departure" back 6 months to the Battle of Jutland, but that would have serious ripple effects. For now, I'm settling with someone using the Necronomicon to call a storm that allows the Hochseeflotte to defeat the blockade.

Maybe the US goes full-on neutral early in the war, demanding that they be allowed to export food (and only food) to Germany freely "or else we will send a convoy with some battleships", in return Germany keeps her subs strictly in a fleet support role. The first few years of the war aren't nearly as hard on the German population, so they have a longer breath, so to speak. Germany inevitably does something stupid like trying to use the subs to blockade Britain, bringing the US into the war as historically.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Panzeh posted:

I have similar opinions about DW- all the stuff under the hood doesn't come out to much. There are a zillion resources but an hour into the game you can get anything you need so there's really no point in having a zillion resources.

I feel the same whenever I see people tout it as the most amazing 4x ever. Nothing you do really matters, and you spend most of the time watching the game play itself. You're never short on resources (or if you are you don't really notice because of the UI), your colonies don't really matter, research just kinda happens and requires no meaningful choices. The ideas behind it are nice enough, but the implementation just feels so uninspired.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Johan mentioning that doctrines is a no-brainer choice when doing research and how this probably means they should change something got me thinking that maybe it would be better and (and realistic) if instead of doctrines being normal tech research they should be unlocked with the appropriate experience. This should give you a dilemma, at least in peacetime when you don't have alot of experience coming in, whether to spend it on your overall army doctrine or retooling your divisions and such to make use of new technology and whether you want to take attrition from training your army.

Maybe tie it to selecting the Chief of Staff? Like if Hitler chooses to appoint a super-old guard General instead of backing the likes of Guderian, then Germany ends up with Grand Battle doctrine ala Hindenburg/Luddendorf. Similarly, if the British appoint Hart (which costs a lot more political capital) they are locked into Maneuver warfare doctrine.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

:shrug: It's just the harder-softer sci-fi spectrum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having more speculative or fantastic elements in a story or a setting; they're not necessarily the most plausible, but they don't have to be, if that's the kind of world you're making. I understand that people often talk about the realism of a 'whatever' in sci-fi as an implicit or explicit criticism, but I really don't mean it that way here. It's just something interesting to discuss alongside.

If you really want to write hard sci-fi then the whole idea of classifying organisms according to Earth norms is completely absurd. "Alien fungus" is an oxymoron, if it is alien it can't be a fungus. It might, at best, occupy a similar function as fungi do on Earth and look a little like Earth fungi, but it isn't a fungus and calling it one would be scientifically incorrect.

Assuming that the general shape of a species that evolved as endurance hunters in the African savanna is literally the best suited for any sentient species in any environment is similarly silly.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

ah yes, hard sci-fi writers should, instead of calling their big mushroom people a sentient fungus, call them their own unique snowflake term like Xyagolofititi and never use the word fungus to describe any aspect of them. that sounds like an excellent strategy to make sure the reader is absolutely not alienated by your writing.

God forbid a hard sci-fi writer challenges his readers with something slightly more complex than "this ecosystem is exactly like Earth's, except that the dinosaurs became sentient!" How close a given story is to scientific reality is literally the entire point of the hard/soft sci-fi scale. A sci-fi story in which a scientists calls a new alien species "fungus" with perfect seriousness while claiming to be hard sci-fi is just silly, I'm sorry. Just as silly as people trying to come up with scientific explanations for the Force in Star Wars.

The skilled writer, by the way, has a character call the alien a giant sentient fungus, only to have the dedicated exposition guy explain why it isn't a fungus, which is promptly ignored by everybody. The really skilled writer makes his sentient fungus only look somewhat like a mushroom, with an entirely different way of gaining energy (like photosynthesis instead of consuming biomatter) and reproduction method (i.e. not spores) and explains why these differences matter.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Just as long as HoI4 is polished I don't care how long it takes.

They really bit themselves in the rear end announcing so early.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

and I'm sure a villain can give you a 10 minute monolog about why that is a good idea

"We are doctors. Without pain, without hurt, we have no place in the world. You know what produces a lot of pain and hurt? War."

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hate to break up this scintillating discussion but today's World War Wednesday video is below if you've not yet seen it:

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/35210959

This week has someone who seems to know what they're doing, a functional AI and a number of adjustments from what we've seen before. Notably, the role of Adolf Hitler has been reprised by a department store mannequin.

Still really looking forward to this game. And Stellaris. Stop blue-balling us please.

Unfortunately, the war was called off because Poland surrendered. Poland - first to fold.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It really does look quite good. One thing I noted however is that you apparently can just rush down the entirety of the doctrinal paths from the start. Germany was on the verge of researching "modern Blitzkrieg", the last technology on the tree, after Fire-Brigades and the Backhand Blow (which one would assume necessitate the Eastern Front to exist) by 1939. Maybe it should be linked somehow to military XP so you can't just leap ahead (I understand the desire not to firmly link it to dates but this seems sillier).

On the other hand he is really behind in other areas. It's 1940 and he is only just now getting Panzer IIIs online.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I dunno, the German guy today was moving very fast through the menus, almost too fast to follow for someone who hasn't played the game.

Also apparently it is possible for a single surrounded unit to hold out against attacks by 5-6 divisions for almost a year.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Perhaps a lack of local supply? It didn't look like the British had any problems though.

Another issue seems to be sitting on 500 experience points and not actually making any variants with it. Just bunging it all in reliability would be a start.

The entire variant system seems a little half-hearted to be perfectly honest. Max reliability is one thing (no-brainer, really), but there doesn't seem to be too much benefit from designing a long range variant and a second, heavy armed variant of a fighter for example. Only 5 steps in improvements seems a little off as well. Just feels tacked on.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

I think it would probably make more sense if it was actually being used. I could see the Germans having a use for short-ranged heavily-armed fighters for defense and long-ranged fighters for attacking Britain, for example. It's just that both players were so busy with their other plans that they didn't use the variant system at all.

The issue is more with the way the game handles plane allocation. Fiddling around with two different production lines plus making sure that the right fighter type is assigned to the right theater seems to be exactly the kind of mindless micromanagement HoI 4 is supposed to not have.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I hope the new peace mechanics have something against Tannu Tuva fighting on bravely after the Soviet Union fell, forcing you to treck all the way through Siberia to finally end the war. Same with the Axis and Manchuko or something.

It also seems that you can't create new countries from occupied territory, you can only do so in a peace treaty. Which is a bit strange, given how the postwar political landscape in Europe was created.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

I saw that HOI4 anime Hitler portrait so I'm positive its going to be a dating sim where the Japanese school girls also transform into tanks and fight battles.

Well, they've already had girls turning into ships and girls turning into fighter planes, so it's only logical.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Didn't Wiz also say he tried to fix VII's economy when he first showed up at paradox? Maybe they decided he should get his chance after all?

Also, August release get hype!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Aragon still won't accept vassalization!! :argh:

Ca...Castille-sempai, not there!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It will never cease to amaze me how well-versed Goons are in a medium they profess to hate.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Real time strategy games?

Anime.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The layout of this room makes no sense to me from this camera angle

seriously this is some M.C. Escher poo poo

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
This is so much worse than the new wallpaper

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What is this Strate-Jay you talk about Johan?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Puella Magissima posted:

D-day release!

So the 25th of May wasn't that far off.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I just realized that the paradox forums will soon have people who put their personal ethos in their sig

XENOPHOBE INDVIDUALIST

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It's hilarious when they get a guy who has actual experience in public speaking pretty much right after Johan.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Well I've got a whole OP for a Stellaris thread typed up and ready to go once some sort of authority figure gives me the blessing.

:justpost:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

Didn't HOI2/Darkest Hour/HOI3 list Cordell Hull as Head of State of the US? I vaguely remember seeing his portrait next to Roosevelt's.

Or maybe it was John Nance Garner?

From what I remember it was always the President as HoS and the Vice-President as Head of Government. Which is probably the best way to represent the US system since you kinda need a HoS/HoG divide for the European countries.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
My favorite part of the counter chat are the people who loudly proclaim that they don't care how information is presented in a video game and then post multi-page screeds about how using counters is basically the holocaust all over again.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Oh. Who posted a multi-page screed about how using counters is basically the holocaust all over again?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Here's a mockup of my suggested military symbology in a ready to use OOB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, my first game will be France, I think, since that still has that historical counterfactual appeal of trying to outperform actual history. Plus if I gently caress up at least the end would come in the early game so my suffering wouldn't be prolonged. :v:

I was thinking of the old HoI MP houserule I once played with - France gets to continue as the US if/when it falls to Germany. I'm planning on running that for my first HoI4 game.