Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Where in all of this theory does he address the whole Holocaust bit? I'm curious to see how that can be blamed on Great Britain or the Soviet Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm not going to like if/when CK3 ever comes out. No matter how good it is, it can't foreseeably have anywhere near the content CK2 does now.

Looks like somebody isn't prepared for the greatness that will be Crusader Kings III: The Maori Warriors.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
When the game first came out, you couldn't do most of what you can do now, so the free features alone are probably a few DLC in and of themselves. It's not often that a game evolves into something that feels like a sequel of itself, and that's definitely worth paying for.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I can sweep floors like a motherfucker.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Race mixing is Communism.

And I love it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

This is from a game started the day the game released. It does certainly feel different.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The ethnic armies are a cool thing but unfortunately they're part of a revolt mechanic that doesn't reach its potential. Victoria could use a dose of CK2's revolt system, where revolts are more akin to states. A great Victoria revolt system would create armed factions, where your units and provinces have a loyalty based on their sentiment, ethnicity and religion. Instead of vomiting rebels everywhere, I'd like to see factions that can ally with each other or the government, e.g. The German government could align with the Freikorps against the Communists, the Russian government could work out a deal where some ethnic factions get to become independent if they help fight the Bolsheviks. Add in the ability for other great powers to sponsor factions and the ability to switch to a rebel faction to take over your own nation and you've turned a giant pain in the rear end into a compelling mechanic.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
V2 made them money, though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
When I bought and tried out Overgrowth, I started getting suggestions for 'Furry' games. Story Driven also returns some insane nonsense.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I can't imagine something that wasn't hard-coded in HoI2 will be in HOI4.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
A democracy is where the majority of the people get to decide who their leader is.

Like America under Bush II.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Is somebody else's playing preferences this big a problem for you?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Did MiscMods ever make it to EU4? That was a great one for EU3 alt history games. My Druidic Ireland game was a hoot.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Well that was exactly what I was hoping it would be. Very exciting.

Has anybody else gotten a Steam controller and tried it with a Paradox game?

Unfortunately, I can't get my custom configuration to work in Darkest Hour but so far it seems like I just need to tweak my setup a bit for EU4/CK2 for it to play well. The Holy Grail of slouching in my chair and ruining my back while playing Paradox games is near.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Having ship design for special things like a flagship would be cool because it allows you to have something that you built and feels unique to that specific empire. Having to design everything is irritating though because usually there ends up being optimal designs and figuring out what they are is busy work.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
So if Sengoku was a buildup to CK2, and March of the Eagles was a buildup to EU4, is Stellaris really a buildup to V3?

Dreadnought designer?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Pimpmust posted:

I think the greatest AI researches have gotten up to is like a massive super computer trying to simulate/machine-learn the brain with the power of a... rat?

That rat might be real good at pulling off naval invasions though, who knows

The Black Death was better at utilizing ships than a typical German AI.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Would the Vichy colonial split be done differently depending on focuses? I always wanted to fight from Algeria as Free France (or as Red France :getin:).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Space Yankees here we come.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

Gonna play Cyberpunk Space Japan after my bewildering and incomprehensible eusocial insect an-cap empire.

Why do you want to play the same game twice?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Or maybe it's a joke post.

I don't know if you want to let all of those guys out of the pen. Let's keep the Fourth Reich on the computer screen and out of our schools and movie theaters.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Microprose's best-selling game of all time?!

Yeah but... its not Star Wars :mad:

Probably could mod the game up fairly easily to have SW names and artwork.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

quote:

OMG OMG OMG!!!I love this...I just dont understand this Radical Yugoslavia?what is that?What is ur point in that?If u look at history govermant wonted to give Hitler free pass thru country so they can go and help italians i greece and to sign some sort of package, but then the people rebelled because he did not want and with protests and shouts better war than pact better grave than slave government was forced to change his mind with regard to time..so that about radical Yugoslavia in the absurd

I love historical flexibility EXCEPT WHEN YOU BRING HONOR TO YUGOSLAV DOG

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

Try and travel back in time to assassinate Hitler, the whole plan falls apart when you run into the 500 other people that all went back in time to assassinate Hitler.

It's an MMO where you deal with the hundreds who went to kill Hitler, the dozens who went to help Hitler, and the thousands who went for the glory of Serbia.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I lost Cubism in an ancient space ruin. Life's a bitch, I tell ya.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Won't be satisfied until I have a unique focus set for Luxembourg.

Get trampled by France <-X-> Get trampled by Germany <-X-> Benelux Supremacy

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Crash74 posted:

When will we know who got into the hoi4 beta?

When the world media wonders why half the population of Serbia failed to appear at their jobs.

As excited as I am, I don't want to be in the beta because as these games grow and develop and my game time reduces as I finally grow up, I have less time. I haven't gotten around to an EU4 game since release because I buy each DLC intending to start a new game but then things happen and before I know it, I'm putting off the new game until the next DLC comes out. I'm not even sure I want to get HoI4 or Stellaris at release when I haven't touched CK2 and EU4 in such a long time.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Convenient for me is the fact that I've never talked about my Rise of Islam mod on the pdox forums so you guys have an exclusive mod here. :unsmith:

When it's released.

In like 2017.

:smith:

So long as it's not 2017 in the Islamic calendar.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Should they throw their children or ineffective beta testers into a sinkhole to appease Satan?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
It's you. You're the only one not invited.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
If it sucks, I look forward to the whole system being redone in mid 2017.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
This seems like a good feature and I hope it ends up in V3.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Would it touch like the ethnic dimension of Yugoslav partisan activity or is that getting too much into a grey area? It'd probably work out very well in a V3 iteration (having a Polish, Finnish, Ukrainian, etc. faction during the Russian Empire's collapse). It's a mechanic that I can imagine seeing versions of for a while.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Why not have the mutiny be suppressed successfully and the domestic reaction to the suppression stokes unrest that eventually leads to the Revolution? No need to push the revolution back.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
2200 seems awfully optimistic. I don't mind having it done that way though (even though I would push it up to like 2500 maybe) because I enjoy having a more concrete sense of the passage of time in these games.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

SkySteak posted:

I apologise for blathering on about this Darkest Hour game but I do have one more question I wanted to ask. When I originally came to this realisation of maybe trying to fight Germany as the ultimate end boss, the year was 1947 where Germany was fully nuclear armed and some issues with Ireland (America kept occupying it as a springboard for naval amphib assaults on Great Britain) were dealt with. Should I start from that 1947 standpoint with nuclear and jet armed Germany or should I just stick to Jan 1st, 1945 where they're still developing nuclear technology and it is literally days after Russia was defeated? I think even in the 1947 game Japan was still an existing nation so I'd still have that to do and on top of that, I'd be getting an excuse to play with some of the later game tech you never really get to enjoy otherwise; however 1945 is a comfortable start date to it all and isn't too crazy, situation wise.

Play the harder situation. You might lose but I doubt it and losing as a late-game major is a rare and precious experience in Darkest Hour.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 8, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Empress Theonora posted:

I kind of want to continue my LP into Stellaris, which is probably a bit premature considering I'm still waiting for HoI IV to come out. :v:

I'm personally hoping that there can be an adequate representation of space syndicalism.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I would like for games of different types (xenophobic death empire vs multispecies mass effect un) to play significantly differently though so maybe excluding things that don't necessarily make sense is for the better. I'm interested by the idea.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
American Indian Paganism being the National religion while Omaha is Protestant is pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Epinephrine posted:

Yes, but President Reagan did wisely enact the "Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" Act. That decision is pretty OP, seeing that it tag-switches the USSR to Russia and force releases all provinces with non-accepted cultures. No the fact that oil prices plummeted at the time had nothing at all to do with it it was all 100% that one speech.

There are otherwise very smart people who actually believe this to be true.

I believed this but then I turned twelve.