Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The problem with Hoi is the alt history is the only reason a reasonable person would play HOI over any other WWII wargame which is gonna have much better and more accurate gameplay.

But the Alt History poo poo is somehow sub Kaiserreich tier.

I think you're overestimating how playable most wargames are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Archaon will either die on his own to one of the other Order factions or he'll burn his way to you eventually and you can just take him out with a lightning strike and your best stack.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That might be one reason why I always burn out on Total War games around the 100 hour mark. I have a psychologically need to give each campaign a honest try to beat it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mans posted:

Make the make start in January 1815 so that you can play with Napoleon in Elba, trying to return to France.

Branching focus tree where you can go back to France or, as Napoleon briefly contemplated irl, escape to Louisiana to carve out a new state.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not only did they make a new Victoria, but they didn't dumb it down or gameify it's simulation elements. In fact, it sounds like they have added depth to every system you would want.

God bless you Wiz.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought one of the reasons they took so long to revisit Vicky's timeframe was because it seemed even more niche and problematic than their other games. I wonder how they'll try to maintain their appeal.

The announcement trailer for CK3 was about murdering a newborn

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the warlord era kicks off the moment you civilize, just as an extra "gently caress you", but I don't really remember.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How do you know they didn't have it coming?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ilitarist posted:

At the same time that powder plot Guy is a mystery to me. Is it supposed to be funny or mocking to wear his mask? Is he a hero? Is he a villain? I don't get it even though I learned about Powder Plot too.

People wear his mask because of V For Vendetta. In real life he was just some religious nut who tried to blow up Parliament, I think.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Iyo the 13 year old girl suddenly made empress in a palace full of women courtiers sounds like a great anime waiting to happen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's true that Mao specifically pursued a policy of not engaging with Japanese, but that's probably related to the fact that the Communists were a guerilla force that got absolutely rinsed every time they tried to fight any sort of conventional battle.

Xue Yue might have been the most effective general the Chinese had when it came to fighting the Japanese.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should switch back imo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

? What's waffleimages deal? How can pictures disappear for a decade and then return?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

she did greenlight victoria 4, to hit the steam and epic game stores q4 2028

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's something of a pot calling the kettle black when it comes to the Imperial Japanese making that criticism.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

The Japanese looking at Barbarossa and saying nah but China, now we wanna do that.

They were already deep into a Chinese quagmire with no end in sight. They saw Barbarossa and decided soloing the US while also taking all of SEA and maybe India, if we have the time, was more realistic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Frenchmen saying the UK are the most pathetic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Woodrow Wilson: history's greatest monster.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The German Empire didn't lose, that's just what they wanted the world to believe. The crypto Kaisers rule the globe from their base in Neu Prussia (yes, the one in Ontario)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goodbye and good luck, Groogs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

There's already Rotk by Koei, and I don't think Paradox could do better

I do, those games are mostly mediocre.

Baronjutter posted:

It would also manage to be illegal in China

Not really true for anything before the 20th century. People said the same erroneously thing about Total War: Three Kingdoms but CA didn't have any issues. Historical dramas are a big genre over there.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 2, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, okay, make a China game and don't put Johan in charge.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It wasn't in the launch version of the game, but that was more due to old Paradox not knowing much about Asian history. It got added with A House Divided iirc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People's Republic of China GDP, 2019: 14.28 million Swedish Kronor
United States of America GDP, 2019: 21.43 million Swedish Kronor
Paradox Interactive, gross profit, 2019: 374.08 million Swedish Kronor

Why doesn't Paradox simply buy China and change the laws?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Randallteal posted:

IIRC the aliens also liberate some concentration camps at some point and the holocaust survivors end up on the side of the lizard people.

did no one tell turtledove about the, uh, implications of the jews siding with the lizard people?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK3 event where a character shows up claiming to be from the future but really it's just a ruse to gently caress your wife.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk i think england's been invaded less times than france

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EU4 is the ur-Paradox Game, the template by which all other should be judged. Crusader Kings is just EU4 but you have to gently caress your cousin before you can paint the map. Victoria is just EU4 but you have to do Microsoft Excel to paint map.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I still think it'd be cool to see a Paradox game that goes all into the naval gameplay as a way to differentiate itself. Either some fictional Earthsea-esque setting, or like, Caribbean pirates, or classical maritime South East Asia, something like that. Buy the One Piece license.

It'd be the perfect excuse to bring back Jazz Boatman.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Popoto posted:

man, paradox threads have really been dead lately, haven't they?

They haven't made a good game since EU4

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's easier CK2 with less content.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think EU1 was just a straight port of the board game.

e: I forgot that LGR had a video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3HeSSzbYO4

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 20, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tfw paradox releases a new save breaking update and you have to restart the run 20 years in

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are there wookiees? I want to play a wookiee

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No interest in a civlike. IMO Paradox games have made that genre obsolete for someone like me, who is primarily interested in the genre for the historical and cultural flavor. Now, if Paradox wanted to make a Total War competitor...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a Civ game, albeit one with sci fi elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPy5nn7I8IA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just think it's a bizarre start date for Imperator 2.

ilitarist posted:

This depends a lot on the pacing. To be honest, EU4 felt already too long for me, I'd prefer it to be denser, especially now that Tinto focused on bringing more flavor and special events and missions to countries. I enjoy playing late game EU4 due to how evolved and transformed the wolrd becomes, but still it feels like the same systems can't handle Medieval armies and dynastic policies at the same time as Napoleonic warfare and Great Power games.

I think I had a higher campaign completion rate than the average EU4 player. Part of that was picking small countries often but the other part was adjusting my pace to the game's length. Putting it on top speed more, not expanding so aggressively bc there's always more time, etc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-7-10th-of-april.1662356/

Sliders are back, everything is a slider.

EUV has restored my ability to feel human

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Tinto team should make a Vicky2 sequel next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

So my core provinces all have 10 infrastructure.

And I have a decent supply stock pile.

Why cant we get the officers a loaf of bread in peace time?

Jank? I know the way it works is that the tiles play broken telephone, so maybe the problem is that.... they all get supplied from the one corridor in the north east? But how can I tell it to not be rear end?

maybe you need to replay the tutorial. maybe you need hitler's wisdom