Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay if you're an unironic HOI3 holdout I am going to effortpost about it in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

also i know this has been asked many times before but now is my time: what is the difference between Arsenal and Darkest Hour, why would I play one over the other? I've only spent time with the latter

The short answer is that Arsenal of Democracy is no longer shackled to 16-bit rendering so you can throw whatever resolution and fullscreen/windowed mode you want at it, so you should play that one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some pointers around HOI 3, in no particular order:

- you want to properly configure your Order-of-Battle: two to five Divisions assigned to a Corps, two to five Corps assigned to an Army, Armies assigned to an Army Group, and Army Groups assigned to a Theater command. The respective HQs also need to be within radio range of the units assigned to them, and this is low enough to Corps and Armies that you'll need to move them somewhat frequently. The indicator lines will tell you if units are out-of-range.

- a Division is composed of two-or-more Brigades. The most basic division you're ever going to want to work with is 3 Infantry Brigades + 1 Artillery, and you'll want these to hold the line.
- a Tank Division would be something like 1 LARM, 1 MOT, 1 ENG, and 1 TD, while a motorized division would be something like 3 MOT and 1 of either ENG, AC, TD, or SPAA.
- as your tech improves, you can do things like changing the 1 LARM to ARM or even HARM*, or moving to 3 INF + 2 ART for your infantry divisions
- but don't "overload" your divisions, because there is a Combat Width stat to provinces which can cap the number of divisions that will be allowed to engage if your divisions have too many brigades in them

- as far as controlling your Leadership, you want to have 120% officers, and then spend the rest on research

- you want to have at least one division on every province bordering the enemy...
- ... and then entire infantry corps concentrated in a single province where you've planned your breakthrough...
- ... and then armor and motorized units waiting in that same breakthrough province.
- once infantry wins the breakthrough combat, send the armor and motorized units in after them, and they should arrive first
- the armor keeps going to second- and third-line provinces behind the front
- the motorized will stay at the newly-won province to defend it, and will move on once the leg infantry arrives
- eventually you will develop a string of occupied provinces that will have surrounded enemy provinces, at which point you can liquidate the cut-off enemy divisions
- the depth of the encirclement you want to aim for will be dependent on how many mobile units you have available

___

* one trick to HOI 3 is that the AI does not build/research enough anti-tank capability, so if you keep researching higher levels of HARM, you can place yourself in a position where your armor's Hardness stat is always ahead of the AI's Penetration stat, which gives your armor a big advantage in combat.

Toalpaz posted:

I just want to know if my run is hosed because transport ships take 2/3rds of a year to build and I am in 1937 already and need to reinforce Prussia to invade Poland.

if a transport takes 8 months to build, and you started in January 1939, then it completes in August, and you still have a couple of weeks to use them to ship units to East Prussia in time for a Sep-1-1939 invasion. Don't sweat it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
both Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy have their own respective takes on overhauling/improving HOI 2's combat to make it "better", such as preventing death star Close Air Support

what DH has going for it is that it has a nice new map and a nice new tech tree, and I believe Kaiserreich was ported to DH

what AOD has going for it is that the developers rebuilt the renderer such that you don't have to switch back to 16-bit color just to run the game. This allows for AOD to run in Windowed mode and/or will let you freely/easily alt-tab when running in Full Screen

I don't really play either of them enough to make a determination on which has the "better" AI or combat mechanics, but both of them do try. My personal take is that AOD is a lot more convenient to play on a modern system (which is why I brought it up) to the point where that's the one I prefer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

So my core provinces all have 10 infrastructure.

And I have a decent supply stock pile.

Why cant we get the officers a loaf of bread in peace time?

Jank? I know the way it works is that the tiles play broken telephone, so maybe the problem is that.... they all get supplied from the one corridor in the north east? But how can I tell it to not be rear end?

I think being on the base game with no DLC is loving you up because not even our tooltips are the same

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've just completed my first full game of Victoria 3, as Venezuela

I'd taken two other games to the 1900s, as the Philippines and as Brazil, but this was the first time I decided to really push it to the very end.

The pivotal moment was in about 1897-1898, when Austria-Hungary demanded a treaty port from me, and I had to fight a war over it. I was massively outnumbered on land, but thankfully my navy was up-to-date and sizable enough that I kept beating back their invasion fleets. After multiple defeats at sea, A-H white-peaced out, and the rest was smooth sailing from there on out.

I could have gotten involved in more wars after that, whether as part of great power plays or my own expansion, but I decided to not keep it messy.

There's absolutely still a lot of replayability in the game: I could turn up AI aggressiveness, I could try more or less advanced countries, but otherwise I'm glad to have crossed this off my list.

I'm now considering the next Paradox Game to play to completion. I'm thinking either HOI4 as the Brits or the USA with a vanilla/historical focus path, or the Mamluks or Bengal in EU4, or try to learn Imperator.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided I'm going to try HOI4 next*. I have a decent grasp on the game so far, I think, but I have a couple of persistent questions around the navy:

- reading some Steam guides, I get the impression that a workable/basic TF composition is two carriers, two battleships (therefore four capital ships total) and then eight destroyers. Is that right?

- are heavy cruisers still considered capital ships? are light cruisers still considered screens?

- it seems like carriers are a mix of HOI2 and HOI3: you don't have to micromanage giving air wings on a carrier specific missions, like in HOI3, and you actually do need to build the carrier aircraft and assign them to carriers. But once a carrier has an assigned air wing, you simply assign the whole TF their mission, such as patrol or convoy raiding, and the aircraft are simply going to be automatically used to fulfill that mission. Is that right?

- what is a submarine TF like? eight submarine units grouped together?

- it seems like, as the USA, if I was fighting Japan across the Pacific, they could launch invasions and/or sink convoys heading to Guam / the Philippines across the whole length of that convoy route, and it would be impractical to use naval TFs to patrol every sea zone between San Francisco and Okinawa (or even just between Pearl Harbor and Okinawa). So, one approach would be to use naval bombers as the patrolling/detection element, and then once you spot the big flat tops, that's when you commit your own carriers to intercept them wherever they're found. Does that make sense?

___

* I'm hoping for a DLC sale once the new EU4 expansion drops, and if there is one I might complete the set

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay, Paradox is having a big sale this weekend and I'm planning on grabbing a bunch of DLCs

are any of the HOI4 DLC worth it? I only have Man the Guns.

thank you for the very comprehensive answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say Iran. Good availability of resources, but you have to modernize first.