Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Rincewind posted:

Has anybody linked this week's HoI IV dev diary yet?

Paradox please stop only showing half the political trees.

It's very rude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Takanago posted:

On those HOI4 national focus trees, doe anyone know what the difference between a dotted line and a solid line is?

I think a solid line means you have to have everything upstream to do it, while the dotted line you do not.

Edit: ironically calling everything effort is really :effort:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The counter measure seems to be "and then they're trapped there until they make a wormhole back home."

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

At face value it seems like there is no possible interdiction, full stop, so it's going to be "whack a mole" anyway. Gotta catch them before they leave or you're SOL.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I figured they were waiting to announce it so they could sell it for full price right before Christmas, since they sell so many things on sale around then.

I doubt it, though that's without any backing. Why would you throw down a full price game when there's a lot of other poo poo on sale to compete with? I don't think Steam-games make good Chirstmas presents for the fam.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Why does no one feel this way about the USSR under Stalin?

Edit: I'm saying Goons are mostly communists

SA is basically a communism agenda station tbh have you read DnD

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I like how that just, as a side note, claim they solve the whole "Wow why does this whole Starspanning United Empire species start pre-stellar travel on one world" by making it so species =/= empire. And there can be multiple empires based off the same root species.

Literally do the Aurora LP.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

Grog space game with ships designed to minute details?

You mean

Aurora?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Vicky 3 won't actually have provinces, but instead it'll be various regions and you can apply power to fronts in these regions (or at sea) during war time.

Your green lines will gradually become more swole and beat into their red lines.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Any HoI cold war stuff would be a misnomer anyway, as there's nothing "cold" about what would be going on up to the 60s.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kavak posted:

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)

Darkest Hour is a legacy game, I believe, and the "DRM" ruling only goes over EU 3/4, HoI 3, Victoria 2 and CK2. I think.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

shut the gently caress up goons

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Never played multiplayer huh?

To be fair that was more of a shitshow then Civ4/5's, to memory.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Part of me is concerned what the hell civil wars are going to do in an 8~ year long game, Spain and China aside. Seems like it'd be just an annoying distraction, especially looking that the way Greece was split up in the example.

The rest still looks good, tho, so we'll just see.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

he and podcat also note that the AI won't launch coups, and will probably continue not doing so except in special cases (because otherwise 'there would be no ww2'), which seems a little odd to me.

It probably wouldn't be a good time if at '37-8 all the minors in Europe just suddenly erupted in civil wars every game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Speaking of WW2 tangents, how the hell do you actually play Canada in DH-Kaiserreich? I'm throwing most of my rather light IC away into the carrier/heavy cruiser combo so I can not get murdered by Britain for once, but that leaves me relatively dry. Certainly not enough IC to go around to get an army rolling, though it's only '38.

I got lucky and actually got the Bill to pass through the house, but in return I'm cursed with pretty much every minor but Ukraine that can flipping syndies, so it looks like I'm going to end up losing. (Germany needs to stand tall for a little bit, at least...)

edit: CSA won the civil war, Iceland ended up Syndie. What the gently caress.

Fuligin posted:

Focuses look really cool, although I still don't entirely comprehend how they'll play out with everyone else. So if you decide to go for the "Ally China" focus for example, you hit certain pre-reqs and then you auto-ally them? Even if their own focuses are pointed elsewhere?

Probably. This is all for the major powers after all, which China sadly isn't.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 28, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Hearts of Iron 4 looks like a blast to play. I particularly liked how nobody had to spend an hour unfucking their "order of battle" before they could start having any fun.

Yeah, it looked pretty smooth. The mics need to get boosted next time because I couldn't hear a god drat thing without really cranking the volume, but it was interesting to see.

It also shows that Foci have other elements that need to be unlocked, so stuff like aligning with countries via the tree still needs footwork/involvement of the other side. So that question a few pages back gets answered!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Quorum posted:

So, is PDX still shutting down mods that use Github as a way to collaborate and provide frequently updated "dev" versions to users? Because that is super counterproductive if your goal is to foster free and creative modding of your product, and only makes sense if you want to create a walled mod garden. Which is preposterous in this day and age.

The walled mod garden is the DRM portion of their tiny-in-filesize games, so.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I want HoI4 more then Stellaris.

tbh Stellaris doesn't sound all that fun multiplayer, just like any other 4x. But that's fine, it doesn't need to be.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

not gamerofthelame c'mon step up your game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Everything is lovely at defending themselves in Darkest Hour. The reason mobility is so OP is the early tank divs so you can run around and pocket everything, after all. Kaiserreich is vaguely balanced by the fact that A.) It's random as gently caress and B.) the war starts maybe two years in, so most of the armies of the major conflict of the game are your starting ones. (Navies, certainly.) Which means the AI gets away with being dumb by force parity.

DH has terrible AI.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

I've long since stopped using paratroopers or doomstacks of like, CAS, against the AI in DH. Just isn't very sporting :colbert:

Oh gently caress that, always build up one paratrooper if you can manage the absurd IC cost for both plane and troop. gently caress that one last victory province behind a horde of dudes or, poo poo, literally impossible landings.

Now that said dropping a paratrop into Bremmen and then dumping the entire Commune-British army in central Germany is totally cheating.

Edit: Actually, I have a Kaiserreich question. Does anything interesting happen after the big war in Europe? The valiant efforts of the British meant the entire German army was out of supply and promptly crushed by the French horde, who then slooowly moved onto the various puppet states while Britain couldn't be assed to do it, busy doing various other marine landings on Germany Mediterranean assets/Italy. This leaves German Africa left, with various Syndie-rebellion African events firing. (And promptly getting crushed, go Nat. France I guess) I really don't want to pal around waiting to shove troops into whatever bits of Africa I can manage to reach, so that might be gg unless something cool happens after. Canada, Russia and Japan all seem to have completely broken, too, and they never felt like joining the war. Or do much of anything.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 8, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17A2zuZEVFY

For the lazy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gort posted:

I'm thinking I'll just put nothing but naval bombers and fighters on my carriers - their primary role is naval supremacy, after all.

I'm kinda worried the go-to tactic is going to be going ham on naval bombers and just melting any non-carrier taskforce. And overwhelming a more balanced once, unless fighters can really gently caress up a swarm of bombers.

Fears of early British carriers running around the Mediterranean just barfing Swordfish while Italians uselessly flail come to mind...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't forgo fighters on my carriers unless I had land-based fighter cover (and perhaps not even then) but I don't see myself sacrificing torpedo bombers in favour of dive-bombers on a carrier, ever. I guess it all depends exactly what stats the two bomber types end up having.

Admittedly I'd forgotten the waaay back air combat dev diary, which has the map divied up into various strategic regions - which the whole of France consists of two areas of. So fighters probably will have a fair amount of reach in, say, the Med.

Though that just goes to "wait, why not just stack naval bombers in Gibraltar and say "HEY THERE ITALY, GOING SOMEWHERE?" or something for the same general effect.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't forgo fighters on my carriers unless I had land-based fighter cover (and perhaps not even then) but I don't see myself sacrificing torpedo bombers in favour of dive-bombers on a carrier, ever. I guess it all depends exactly what stats the two bomber types end up having.

Nah, for pacific def CAS all day long, need to bang up those islands.

Agean90 posted:

Cruisers: like destroyers but larger. Not sure what the were good at, neither were IRL navies to be honest

You know how as the war went on everyone figured out that medium tanks were the most practical and most powerful to use, really? Cruisers are medium tanks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress that, CK2's MP was still messy. Eu4 runs pretty well, though, and I've got good hopes for HoI4.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

i imagine there's some tool tip if you highlight something that would just say 50 infantry, etc, too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Not really necessary - zoom out on the map and it'll show you the number of units in a region.

There's a slight different between "This army has 50 mans in it" and "This army has 10 infantry and 40 tank divisions in it," though.

I imagine the tool tip would be on the map pile!

Edit: "Swamp Fox," aside from being a dumb name that I am sure is actually historically accurate, seems like it'd be very specific to one portion of the map in southern Russian and nothing else.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Seems like a ton of effort and complexity given that we'll have almost no control over combat. Maybe I'm missing something but is anyone actually going to want to watch the combat play out other than maybe the first few times and occasionally after that? Like imagine if EU4 went into a little Total War minigame when combat happened, but you couldn't do anything other than order a retreat - it'd be cool a few times but overall pretty pointless. This feels like a lot of bells and whistles when something much more abstracted would play better.

if you didn't watch Eu4 combat and watch all the row pips do things you really couldn't understand but their numbers were going down i dunno what to say man

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You know, I'm deeply curious.

How much of CK2's revenue came from just DLC?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kersch posted:

But I mean is that the intended meta-game of the battle planner? That it's a trap to actually use it and you have to fight it rather than rely on it? I doubt it since this this is a game and that would be a bad design. If it works poorly I think that'd be a failure of design rather than what they were aiming for

I don't think it's a fair comment. It's designed for battlegroups of generals making small, planned pushes and for field generals to poop out troops along a border or, in a risky sense, just paint a big line somewhere in deep. It lets you spread a selected force out in some tangibly balanced manner, but you can't just paint a line half way up in the world and say "alright go here and kill everyone without further management."

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Almost done with converting my old CK2 game over to EU4 (West Africa, Afghanistan, Baluchistan and India remains). Again pretty pleased with what it's looking like so figured I'd post some screens of the stuff that's done.

Northern Europe

HRE

France

British Isles

Italy and the Balkans

Iberia

Maghreb

Eastern Europe

Middle East

East Africa and Arabia

Iran and Central Asia

I appreciate how much Russia didn't change.

also france gonna take over that game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Have we seen the UK national focus tree in any of the dev diaries or interviews or whatever?

Go nuts.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dude says the tech isn't in right now, not that it won't be. Either it'll come along later in development or post launch.

Maybe in a FLAG QUEST DLC where you can customize all flags, forever.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's still a bait thread, either way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Mans posted:

What possible advantage would a German player have in supporting Japan instead of China.

Well. It would be safe to assume that the US is going to get involved at some point or another unless they go down a divergence war plan path and it's not like China is going to really gently caress with the west coast . . .

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I like how Goons/The-Net-At-Large immediately think everything is going to go full-exaggerated EA whenever a company talks about this sort of thing. Or anything, really.

That said, I'm surprised there is a "need" to do it if they're already a publisher. Forgive my lacking BUSINESS 101 but why would they need to ipo our to someone if people ipo out to them

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

this is bad because not even half of you are being ironic

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I see what they were going for here but I hope the graphics are going to be improved on this kind of zoomed-out map because it's unfortunately really ugly.

Probably better in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

:yeah: