Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Alchenar posted:

Everyone always starts with a setting when they ask for Paradox games, when they should instead start with a gameplay model and then work backwards to figure out what setting/scope makes sense.

the gameplay model is assumed with paradox games because they're all the same, barring the minute differences at the high concept level of a 4x vs GSG

they're capturing a theme and the gameplay elements that would make that theme gets filled it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

ilitarist posted:

After recent sadness with EU4 I tried playing Total War Warhammer 2. Played it before but turn timers were horrendous. It's fine now and I enjoyed it for quite a lot. But then it turned out that the campaign doesn't know when to end. A lot of victory conditions make sense (destroy specific faction, hold all of important provinces near your start and hold 8 out of ~20 important provinces in your part of the world, build some high level buildings). They make sense. AI is aggressive, combat is varied, keeps you on the edge of the seat. But then there's a final condition (at least it's like that for High Elves): defeat one of the Chaos lords. The thing is that lord is on another side of the map. I have no doubt I will defeat him but it will take 20 turns of getting there. So after you beat the initial wave of chaos mooks it's very boring clicking of end turn. So I called the campaign a win.

We are in Paradox games where people constantly drop games, but that's different. PDX games don't tell you about win conditions. Stellaris does but that's different (and problematic too). Other TW games are similar in that regard, both Rome 2 and Troy have long boring end game where you know you are victorious but the game teases you. Three Kingdoms has an endgame that can go different ways but at least it's interesting.

But Attila knows what's what. Same for Charlemagne expansion. Just survive for long enough and have big enough domain, and that's it.

you're not really aimming to do the victory conditions of most of the vanilla warham 1/2 lords, it's just the ultimate end you've seen everything mark

the dlc ones actually have good, decent victory conditions for the most part, though, so there's that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I bet the game is going to be something that's paint the map that people try to hype up as something more nuanced and country-simmy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am curious how they are going to handle this in Vicky 3 since it's been a known problem area of Vicky 2 for ages (which is why basically every big mod tries to do something with China). A player controlled China in Vicky 2 basically just goes from the struggling 19th century Chinese empire to the economic and military superpower of modern day China, skipping all the steps in between.

it's traditional in paradox games for a player china to exist to completely break the game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Jeoh posted:

could we ignore the boring rehashed "hoi is a genocide simulator" discussion and go back to the sparkling new "paradox is run by sex pests" storyline? because jesus christ, yikes

no we have to relitigate this monthly as part of our goons would be horrible game devs routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

welcome to modern gaming