Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I want a sequel to Sengoku that isn't just a bare-bones skeleton of an alpha for CK2. Give me a proper Japanese CK2 :colbert:

Just wait for like three more CK2 expansions and you got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

That's specifically rival space empires. I think they are on record that research events can include non-spacefaring local creatures and civilizations. So even if there's no sea sponge events in the base game it should be a fairly simple event mod.

I think I remember one interview saying that you could even play a part in raising up pre-spacefaring races to be spacefaring races, which sounds pretty cool.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LordMune posted:

The tick rate hasn't been looked at in a while, it happens to be functional for dev purposes. We'll be tweaking it, but I can't promise that it's temp because 10 ticks per day might turn out to be the magic number. :v:

Is this because space battles are supposed to resolve quickly (i.e. measured in days or hours) like HOI rather than slowly (measured in weeks or months) like in EU?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm very eager to deploy all the might of my interstellar empire to dicking around with some primitive shitlords who still think FTL is impossible. I want to genetically manipulate them so that privileged people give birth to historically oppressed groups, like if rich white people IRL started having black babies out of nowhere. I want to fling an asteroid at the capital of their largest empire and see what happens. I want to put a terraformer in orbit and start stealing all their air. I want to funnel suitcase nukes into the hands of their most vicious terrorists. I want to arrive and make broadcasts about how we're going to help this world and gift them technologies that will solve 80% of their ills and then ignore the intelligent simian species completely, don't even react to them, while we uplift and civilize lobsters. Or to engineer a loving gigantic lobster and unleash it upon them, and keep throwing more and more kaiju at them.

Paradox I better be able to be the biggest dickhole imaginable to these assholes :colbert:

I want to serve man.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want my entire empire to fall apart because the people decided to elect a Slow Inbred Indulgent Wastrel as President-for-Life and I defunded the military so they can't stage a coup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I finally saw Germany win the war in Kaiserreich. It happened because they got sucked into a war in China over the AOG that dragged on and on so they lost their peacetime IC modifier in like 1937 and just outproduced France.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

National focuses.

And yeah, alt history stuff is still something we are interested in, although I'm not sure about alt history scenarios. They are cool if done well, but on the other hand it can be a lot of content and it's an area where mod teams can do as well or better.

HOI4 sunset invasion DLC please that replaces all of North America with a gently caress-off huge Aztec empire and puts events in for them to conquer Europe and sacrifice Hitler on top of a pyramid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The way to get the coolest Paradox jobs seems to be making tons of videos of yourself finding and exploiting bugs in Paradox games.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rincewind posted:

There's a new Hearts of Iron dev diary!

This one's on weather and terrain. As usually, I'm struck by how absurdly pretty the map is. Even if I wind not getting too into HoI IV beyond whatever's necessary to wrestle ByzLP into some sort of conclusion, I'll enjoy just looking at the map, probably. :v:

Looks cool. Shouldn't urban terrain provide a bonus to air defence though?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

thatdarnedbob posted:

They've basically got to name this one Leviathan, right? The domestic politics emphasis kinda demands it. Maybe The Prince but that doesn't sound as good.

They should go the whole hog and call it Two Treatises of Government: In the Former, The False Principles, and Foundation of Sir Robert Filmer, and His Followers, Are Detected and Overthrown. The Latter Is an Essay Concerning The True Original, Extent, and End of Civil Government.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
According to Democratic Peace Theory, wars between democracies are very unlikely and, if you define democracy as modern democracy rather than historical limited democracy, has indeed never happened. So Paradox are clearly just using a restrictive definition within an academic theory and it's all good forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can you merge factions? For example if Japan forms its own Pacific faction but later on wants to join the Axis, can its faction and Germany's faction combine somehow?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

For the record those miscellaneous parts are armour (stealth armour specifically, I think) and a quantum reactor that means the ship never needs to resupply. I know this because I have spent countless hours playing SE4.

Also lol that's a scrub ship design, no combat sensors or ECM :smuggo:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

So Gratuitous Space Battles?

Nah, afaik GSB doesn't have any kind of campaign. I want a real campaign where battles matter and have lasting impacts like in RTW as your empire expands and fights other empires, but without all the tedious colonization and micromanagement of 99% of space 4Xs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Pretty sure you can go full commie in space. I only play space-nazis though so I haven't really checked :shrug:

You gotta wait for the ship design DD, but I think you will be fairly happy.

Well that's not Stellaris, but I would also play the poo poo out of that game.

I would love if we did. RTW is great and I have been trying to interest people around the office. So far our ex DLC-Empress and now Cities Skylines producer has bought it and is cursing me for her lost productivity - she is a huge navy sperg. Other than that, the HoI4 AI programmer seemed pretty interested but hasn't bought it yet as far as I know.

You should convince Paradox to absorb the NWS guys and then get them to make a) a naval/aerial warfare game covering the entire 20th century, basically RTW but with planes and cruise missiles; and then b) a space RTW, only both games would have Modern Paradox-level QA, graphics, and development (and pricing).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's just one guy and he's a bit surprised people bought his game.

I thought there were two of them, one doing most of the work and one doing something else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I like doing big scale games of Civ5 and space 4x because I love the concept of large empires, long-term games, and strategic planning. What is the point of putting a lot of thought and planning into my plays if the game is short and there are only like 3 options that are viable? Its hard for me to explain so I doubt this really conveys how I feel about it but I just like larger long-term games. Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Master or Orion 2, anything, you name it, I liked playing on a big map. I find it more satisfying even if it means more micro or whatever.

Same, I like big maps for 4Xs because I like the more dynamic worlds you end up with as a result. If you play a small map of Civ5 with 3 AI players, it's likely you'll all end up roughly the same size, maybe have one friend and two neutral/enemies, maybe one war between other civs. On the other hand, a bigger map with 9 AI players makes it far more likely that one of them will defeat another in a war and end up big and powerful, another will get their expansion cut off and end up small and stunted, two others might be BFFs who stick together, etc etc. You get big powers and small powers and more combinations of alliances and ways to win. It's more like a Paradox game in that there are tons of players in different situations who can play different roles in your game, and it makes it much more interesting. It may also mean that the game takes longer and maybe you don't get all the way to the finish line, but the game is more fun while you're getting there so who cares?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

What I want is a Paradox Map Game where you can control the tactical level of battles, a la Total War.

What I really want is Rome 2. Give me a good Daodachi simulator, Paradox :argh:

This would be impossible for multiplayer so it will never happen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Secret Denmark is great but that image also has hidden gold in that you can imagine a world where "For the People's Union Of!!" is a battle cry and people tell you "Welcome to Republic" when you arrive as an immigrant.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm unreasonably excited for this dumb space game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Personally I can't wait for all of the human race's engineering research to be headed up by a 21-year-old.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Didn't know Nicholas II had an English twin.

There are stories from the Russian archives of Nicholas and George apparently pranking their staff by dressing up as each other.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Having just re-read most of the HoI4 dev diaries I wondered if they've said anything about whether the name of your division templates will influence the name generated for the divisions you build. Say you name a template "Colonial Infantry Division", will it then name divisions you produce of that template names like "3rd Colonial Infantry Division" and so on, rather than just looking at the type and deciding whether it is infantry, armored, cavalry, etc?

If they implement this I look forward to the game auto-naming the 3rd Butts Division and 41st Dongs Division and 900th Clean Wehrmacht Division.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-31th-development-diary-30th-of-october-2015.889096/

New peace conference mechanics look to be on fleek

edit- oh holy poo poo, Radical Yugoslavia and Legionary Romania. Hahahahha, owns.

Wait, so looking at the demands on the right side of the screen it seems Yugoslavia and Bulgaria are demanding bits of Poland. Does that mean that after the peace there are tiny little Yugoslavian and Bulgarian exclaves in the middle of Poland loving up everybody's borders?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

It would do, yes. Bear in mind the peace AI hasn't been tweaked much yet though.

Maybe there should be some kind of larger system where the AI sets its desired targets for expansion and won't necessarily claim areas outside those (at first, anyway) but will instead sort of save up warscore influence. So Yugoslavia and Bulgaria don't demand anything from Poland despite contributing to the war effort but in return they expect a larger share of the peace than their war effort would normally allow when you're carving up Albania, Greece, and Turkey, for example. Then after achieving those goals the AI could set new expansion targets so they don't just go dormant for the rest of the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe it should instead be that that particular scientist can no longer research that anomaly? Could represent them coming to the wrong conclusion and being set in their ways and refusing to accept alternate explanations, or maybe them just being too dumb to figure it out correctly. But you can send other scientists (with the cost of getting them there and everything, and also the risk that they blow themselves up and destroy the anomaly forever) who may be able to figure it out, but they might also come to the wrong conclusion and get locked out. So you may end up with your entire scientific community coming to the wrong conclusion and getting locked out of this development for decades until they die and are replaced by new people, or you might decide to wait and level up your one remaining scientist for a while so that they have a better chance of figuring it out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I also just really like the idea that Joe Smith shows up and studies the thing and publishes his findings and is like "This is a giant kettle" and decides to subscribe to Giant Kettle Theory for the rest of his life. And a year later Jane Mbutu shows up because she was unconvinced by his publication so she examines it, but she also ends up publishing her findings as "Yeah, this totally is a giant kettle" and joins the Giant Kettle Theory school. And so it's accepted that it's a giant kettle.

But then ten years later Pavel Kutuzov, by this point an established mid-career scientist with a lot of experience, decides to take another look at Giant Kettle Theory and examines it only to discover that it's actually a giant death laser, and publishes his findings and unlocks the discovery for the broader empire. Or, alternately, he also subscribes to Giant Kettle Theory and you have to wait for a new generation of scientists many turns later, who are able to make better discoveries because you've researched more laser technology so they're more likely to recognize a giant death laser when they see one.

This would be further improved if there were two levels of non-discovery: a low level (which low level scientists would have a higher chance of getting) where they don't make a discovery but also don't conclusively prove nothing is there (so the anomaly doesn't disappear) and a high level (which high level scientists would have a higher chance of getting) where they don't make a discovery but conclusively prove there's nothing there and the anomaly then disappears so you don't spend any more time chasing red herrings. Ideally there would be some small bonus here, like your civilization was really in need of a giant kettle anyway so you still benefit somehow.

And of course by trying to minmax every discovery you run increasing risks of blowing up your valuable scientists examining the same anomaly over and over again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

You know what? I'm with you, IRL even. You see, noone wants to give me a grant to prove the pyramids are actually space bases for ancient astronauts. I am almost sure they are the key to jump starting Stellaris in real life. Like if I could just get some expedition funding and the correct visas, we could be visiting Alpha Centauri before Stellaris even comes out with the inevitable delays to balance an event driven research system.

I'm pretty sure the History Channel would fund this research.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So the anomalies are literally just anomalies taken straight out of GalCiv 2?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's worth pointing out that EU4 itself has tried to eliminate as many opaque random chances as possible that existed from EU3. Remember missionaries in EU3? You placed your missionary and it had a tiny chance every month of converting the province. It could randomly pop two months later, or you could be waiting 200 years. That may have been more realistic but it really wasn't better gameplay in any way than the EU4 system.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The fact that it's impossible to die and lose permanently in Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor means that it doesn't count as a game.

e: also Cities: Skylines, one of Paradox's most successful games ever, is not even a game in the first place! :monocle: Paradox should return all the money spent on it at once.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 4, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I told them I really really want to see a Magicka board game. I think that would work way better than trying to translate any of the crazily complex map games.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bel Monte posted:

Alternative question. While these underemployed/unemployed history majors would be better off working on the things they love, would they truly enjoy working in the video game industry? An industry (not talking about paradox specifically here) that hires and fires willy nilly, refuses to offer many/any benefits, requires long grueling hours with little reward, will underpay or in some cases not pay for overtime, and much more. I mean, if you're doing something that's a "hobby" or something that you love, then clearly you can be underpaid and cast off at a moments notice. There's plenty more fish waiting to bite!

I think the gaming industry is where young, hopeful programmers go to have their souls die. Among others.

You basically just described grad school, so I'm pretty sure unemployed PhDs would jump at the chance to do that only make way more money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I'm pretty sure that's just the exact province map from Victoria 1 only in HOI for some reason.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I knew this game was only appealing to filthy casuals who want to actually be able to use the things they have built in the game instead of micromanaging how many litres of fuel Yamato gets each hour.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Planetary interaction can absolutely work really well with tiles but it shouldn't naturally give over to X planet just stacked mines and a spaceport because mines boost adjacent mines.

Yeah iyam it actually makes more sense for there to be adjacency bonuses for different buildings rather than same ones. So having a mine next to a factory boosts factory output and having a factory next to a shipyard boosts ship production, and having farmland next to a commercial centre boosts money production and having a commercial centre next to a cultural centre or research facility boosts cultural and research production. In addition, it should be more expensive to operate higher-production-chain buildings like factories or shipyards if they lack the necessary resources on-world, to represent the fact that they would have to be importing all the raw materials. This not only makes more diverse planets more valuable since you actually have to build supply chains to be maximally efficient, it also makes single-use specialized planets dumb and bad.

It also makes more sense. Having one world that's 100% mines providing minerals to a planet half a galaxy away that's 100% factories makes no sense and would be ridiculously costly for transportation alone. Instead, it makes sense that factories would be more productive if you can provide them with a local efficient supply chain, and that commercial centres would be more productive if you can supply them with food to support a larger population.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 16, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Well yes, but then it's just optimal to do mine-manufactory-mine-mine-manufactory-mine

I feel like this kind of thing can be gotten around by providing bonuses and penalties to different building types based on terrain and then having varied terrain. So yeah if you happen to coincidentally get a planet that's a checkerboard of mountains and plains, building a web of mines and factories might work well. But if not, then you're getting penalties from putting mines in farmland and factories in the ocean.

You should also have to provide some essentials for your pops, like commercial centres and farmland, as the planet grows and becomes more populous and demanding, if you really want to make players actually pay attention to their planets instead of setting a build queue to fill every tile and then never looking at them again. imo the tile/building planet system is overdone in space 4Xes but if this is what Paradox is doing they should at least try to make it interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Isn't one of the conditions of the beta that you don't say you're in the beta and deny anything if asked?

Maybe everyone in this thread got in and everyone is just trying to mislead everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is it possible to have a three-way civil war, like if the communists decide to fight the current democratic government and then the fascists also decide to fight since there's fighting going on?