Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Measure all distances in AU with each race's AU measurement based on their homeworld's orbit radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

You gotta sent in the ground troops to clear them out, but yes.

Are you going to actually have to build ground troops like in Space Empires, which adds a really unnecessary extra layer of production and logistics, or will it be more Endless Space-style where troops are abstracted by just having an invasion value on a space ship?

Comedy middle option: Gal Civ style invasions where you load a billion civilians onto one ship and dump them on an enemy planet with no special training but it's okay because you bombarded the planet with asteroids first always did information warfare because the other options did permanent damage to your new colony.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a first "beta" (actually it should be called alpha because it's not feature complete) without the ability for the community to edit the files. The data is not meant to be accurate, that's what the community should provide later on.

Be honest, are you the person who created this website by directly stealing stuff from Europa Universalis 4?

Hell, if you zoom in enough the provinces even have the same names as the default provinces in 1444 EU4.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

My favorite Paradox naval game was the one where Aircraft Carriers didnt actually have aircraft, they just had guns with ridiculous range.

That's every version of HOI2.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I remember this, it was called the Cruizerg. The way it would work is that you would put the fire control upgrade on the CLs, so they would have the same range as a CA. Then you would add two CVLs. At the time there was bug surrounding CVLs: if you had one in your fleet, after at most two or three rounds of combat your fleet would teleport to the engagement range of your shortest-ranged capital ship. That by itself is really good, but when you have CLs with the same range as CAs you basically have 15 extra ships that can do damage, and they're always guaranteed to be in range.

I think this started happening in Doomsday and was fixed in one of Armageddon's patches (but not when that expansion was first released).

In Darkest Hour you would also add torpedoes to every ship because they would almost double your ship attack.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

sounds like it for sure

This seems pretty cool, drat.

This to me was the coolest part of the diary. The level of detail this single event implies the devs are putting into making cool things happen in the game is pretty sweet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm loving how much of Stellaris seems designed to avoid mid- and late-game boredom by giving you interesting things to manage and challenge you from within in those parts of the game. Stuff revealed in picture captions like your colonists spontaneously mutating themselves and later trying to kill you, or your uplifted species rebelling and founding their own empire, are fantastic and I hope stuff like that is happening all the time rather than how it is in current 4Xs where you might have one thing like that happen once in a game and it's just annoying and easily defeated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rumda posted:

Has there been any rumours of a stellaris release date yet?

Stellaris doesn't actually exist, it's just an elaborate troll by the Paradox devs to make half their forums stroke out from seeing black people in space.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Let's be real. Nobody is ever going to click the second option.

If the RNG hands you five deadly vault plagues in a row you might not click it a sixth time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Man he better get an heir soon.

Nah, I think they're set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_former_Ottoman_throne#Current_line_of_succession

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Will HOI4 accurately model Nazi Germany's insane production problems compared to the mass production of the US and USSR? Some doctrine that makes all their tanks 50% better at fighting but 500% more expensive and time-consuming maybe?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just abstract the economy the way Mount and Blade does with peasants and caravans. Have ships moving around from planet to planet and system to system with a few different types and sizes (i.e. passenger liner versus small freighter versus asteroid miner versus giant megafreighter--as your empire grows there will be more traffic whereas in the beginning it might just be ) so the galaxy seems alive, but really all they're doing is adding or subtracting from the various planets' prosperity ratings. The ships making it where they're going increases prosperity (by larger numbers for larger ships and smaller numbers for smaller ones). The ships not making it where they're going, whether due to raiding enemies or pirates or just accidents in space, decreases prosperity. Various prosperity levels mean higher levels of tax and production on your worlds and your planets will slowly move up and down between levels based on their civilian ships getting where they're going or not (or completing their mini missions, like an asteroid miner might leave its planet, mine some asteroids, and return to its own planet again). Different levels of prosperity also affect your pops and their happiness with your rule, so a far-flung colony that's dirt poor because it's constantly raided by pirates is more likely to want to abandon your empire and strike out on its own so it can build its own warships to defend its economy.

At certain levels of prosperity you could also add and subtract new kinds of ships, too. Maybe your super high prosperity world has luxury space yachts cruising around the system not contributing to anything but presenting a risk for pirates, while your low prosperity world has a bunch of smugglers operating there that make it a bit more chaotic but also increase prosperity.

This way you have the civilian ships zipping around making your galaxy feel lived in, and you have incentives to protect your economy, and the potential for commerce raiding in war exists, and pirates are a real threat, and an added layer of interactivity is given to your populations and worlds, but you don't actually have to code Vic3 in space to represent the economic system.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 25, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My Emperor, the Senate has elected

Goonius Maximus

as its new leader! We are sure this new politician will bring order and dignity to the office.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Including India is cool and good because you can't properly model the Levant without including Persia and you can't properly model Persia without including western India and you can't properly model western India without including the rest of India. I don't think they ever really intended anyone to spend a lot of time playing in India, it's more so that Persia doesn't have a permanently impregnable border to their east that means they can devote all their attention to invading people to their west.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

Do we know if China is getting a national focus tree etc too? Is it the eventual goal for every country to get one?

Can't wait for the Tibet and Afghanistan National Focuses DLC.

Also a full Purple Phoenix-style DLC called "Zog Phoenix".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I liked the part where some Paradox forum-goers thought it was unrealistic that there could be black people in space.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you have a link? I really need to see what kind of logic they used to come up with that.

I don't have a link because I only read it in this thread, but iirc it was like Jerusalem says, the person framed it something like "How can I roleplay Space Nazis if you won't let me preemptively genocide black people from Earth? Remove all the black people tia".

There may have also been someone who made some :biotruths: argument about how black people could never be in space (basing their argument on both the black portraits and the non-European names in screenshots) because Africa is underdeveloped and so only white North Americans and Europeans should be allowed in the game, but I don't remember exactly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Another thing that could also work in the space 4x world- where tech tends to be king- is your empires have a natural amount of tech leakage. Basically anyone near you gets a small amount of tech points based on seeing your ships fly by, stealing or buying bits of your stuff off the black market, etc etc. As your empire grows, that leakage grows because you have an even longer border to patrol and keep in check. This would maybe help with some of your smaller neighbors rubber-banding themselves if they can't rely solely on alliances.

Or make it so that it's very difficult to get large amounts of money without inter-empire trade, and inter-empire trade gives huge tech boosts to the lower tech civilization due to purchasing and trading for advanced goods from the other empire. Trade, of course, should be completely automated based on your relations with other empires (i.e. not the Civ/GalCiv model where you build one giant freighter and send it from one planet to another). Any empire you're neutral or friendly with should be trading with you, and that gives them big tech boosts. And then through the magic of networking, almost all civilizations will benefit because your trading partners will benefit from you, then their trading partners will benefit from them, and so on, so that only some super isolated North Korea-like state that has no friends would actually fall substantially far behind everyone else.

Civ 5 tried to do this with trade, but the actual science gains ended up being so minuscule that it didn't make a difference at all, and in any case you could always just trade with city states.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Another thing that should be implemented on CK2 is certain traits or actions reduce the possibility of revolts while also still having your subjects hating the poo poo out of you. Let me be Ivan Grozny and keep the Boyars scared shitless that I'll kill everyone!

This is actually a good point, the vassal AI should take into account things like "last time there was a revolt, every single revolting vassal was executed, so I'd better not press my faction claim unless I'm 200% certain I'll win".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

If you fail to imprison the head of a patrician family while you are the doge, they flee into exile and their heir becomes the new patrician. Who promptly hates you because he has the "tried to imprison family member" opinion penalty.

Also the exiled patrician immediately starts a plot to kill you but because they are not in your court you can't order them to end it, so instead you have to periodically go through and remind all your relatives to leave their plot thanks, which works for a few months until they join it again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why not just go all Ivan the Terrible on everyone you suspect of being a traitor?

Seems easier to just murder them and burn their holdings to the ground than go through and remind them every 6 months.

Possible future DLC?

Merchant Republic, so keeping unlanded family members in your court is actually a really good thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

And people who have done it due to being coerced for generations (and hell, who probably like it and see it as regional pride!) don't immediately disappear the day after a ruler of a particular culture takes over.

Also to put this another way - say for instance England wins a Hundred Years War-type scenario, and an English king (disregarding the fact that a lot of the English nobility had more in common with French nobles than with English commoners) takes the throne of France. Do you really think French knights would just hang up their stirrups and take up longbow-style archery, just because the king is now English?

Not even. It's hang up their stirrups overnight, every single one of them, and consider maybe taking up longbows a couple decades from now, if the new ruler invests a ton of time and money into it.

And if a French king were to overthrow that English ruler three months down the road, all those knights stay retired.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I really hope Paradox has reached out to all sorts of places to get permission to include events relating to popular SciFi IPs. I would love it if the Shivans from Free Space could show up and start nuking entire civilizations or whatever.

Hell now that I said that I hope that ends up being a mod, going on the likely assumption that it will not be in the base game. I bet it would be pretty easy to set up the "node" FTL method to model how Free Space FTL travel works...

Considering what a trope it is in sci-fi games to have "ancient/far away but really powerful civilization returns/arrives out of nowhere to destroy the galaxy", I will be very surprised if that isn't included, but it's unlikely that Paradox would spend the money to making it be the Shivans from Freespace or the Reavers from Mass Effect or the Shakturi from Distant Worlds or the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars or Species 8472 from Star Trek or the Dread Lords from Galactic Civilizations or Space Aztecs from CK2. There would really be no reason for them to do that instead of just making up their own species or having them be procedurally generated like everything else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Space Barbary Pirates? Can't wait for the expansion that adds "Space FRAMED!!!!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Unless Wiz has found himself with a lot of free time after being shuffled off EU4 then you'll probably be waiting until next Christmas, if ever, for another patch.

Anyway, today's Strllaris DD is up talking about Alliances and Federations. The alliances sound pretty nice, if only because it sounds like weaker, poo poo tier nations you brought into the field for their resources or a convenient path somewhere can't drag you into every petty dispute while loving up your other plans and relationships. Not so suee about federations though, it looks more like a highly situational option...

I get the impression that federations will be used more by the AI banding together against large threats than by the player. I can't imagine many players wanting to give up that much control over their foreign policy and fleets, especially since it seems the rotating president has all the power and there's no talk about any kind of internal federation politics that mean you can try and control the presidency more often than your fair share (like merchant republics in CK2).

I would imagine that what will happen is no one will use federations except the AI, Paradox will see this in their internal player stats, and a year after release they'll put out a DLC that significantly expands federation mechanics to include some kind of internal politics feature to entice players to actually take part in federations with the prospect of having the presidency more than the AI.

One question for any Stellaris devs in here, since in a federation there's a shared military, what happens if you leave a federation? Does the federation keep all the ships and armies and you have to start from scratch? Do you get a proportionate share of the military in your newly independent military?

Also, are there mechanics for federations to fall apart, or is it the case that once one forms it tends to stay in place for the rest of the game unless destroyed from the outside?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Takanago posted:

It sounds like the Federation military is separate from the military forces that the individual member states control. So you'd keep the navy you have, if you've been maintaining your own.

Oh thanks, I missed that. Still, I wonder, if a federation was falling apart does this mean that the last member standing would get to keep the entire federation fleet? Or would it be handed out piecemeal to the members as they left? Or would it just disband when the federation dissolved?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

According to the Paradox Twitter account there was an AMA held this afternoon on Reddit - nothing much of any substance but I guess it gives you a look inside some of the thought process that goes on over there?

If particular note is that HOI4 is for sure coming out this year:

And that Johan finds WoW inspirational somehow.

Did anyone ask the same question for Stellaris?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Antti posted:

There are two bits of information as far as I can see that people are clinging to: some storefront accidentally displayed a date of Feb 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that) and a speculative tweet by the CEO of Stardock saying that Stellaris will come out in Q1 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that either).

Actually Stellaris came out in February 2016 and I've been playing it and it's good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I read the first post and I was persuaded, but then I saw the second and I am now in doubt?

Help me, goons?

It's good but it's no Space Empires 4 that's for sure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

You'd think fungoid would automatically preclude humanoid body types.

Not according to evolution experts Dungeons and Dragons:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Is this real?
Welp. It was fun while it lasted.

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/706945506036027392

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't wait for EA's Europa Universalis 5.

"Johan V will now rule our nation!

1/3/2

To increase Johan's stats to 5/5/5 for 499 EA Bucks, click here.
To increase Johan's state to 6/6/6 for 749 EA Bucks, click here."

"My king, our stability has dropped!

To increase stability to +3 for 499 EA Bucks, click here."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New DLC unlocked! Machine Parts Factory - $1.99

Buying this DLC means you will always start with a Machine Parts Factory in your capital state, no matter what country you play.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
HOI5 will be a Wii U exclusive featuring Super Mario-inspired renders of world leaders, while CK3 will be a mobile game with a limited number of actions per day and microtransactions to kill your bad sons and pave the way for the genius fifthborn to inherit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Clash of Clans, right?

Clash of Kings, the official Game of Thrones mobile game by Paradox Interactive.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I agree with everything in the above. Paradox titles are great because there's no real "win" condition besides what the player sets for himself, and often times you can play entire campaigns just going for a single achievement.

Stardrive 2 came out with a DLC today which actually looks decent but it doesn't really seem to have anything super new in it. It plays with sectors as the new form of map control but the tech tree really doesn't support it, which is a shame.

This is actually why I'm really excited for Stellaris. The idea of a 4X space game that plays like EU4 instead of Civ in Space is just so appealing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can I play Stellaris as a race of child-sized amoebas stacked on top of each other in trenchcoats pretending to be adult humans?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I spent about a year way back learning how to play Ricky. Each time was a traumatizing experience of confusion, terror, machine parts and capitalists before I had to cut my losses and quit as my country descended rapidly into bankruptcy and chaos. Then one day I just seemed to get what was going on and I realized that Ricky was beautiful.

So that's what was in Room 101.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The announcement will be "Stellaris releases tomorrow. poo poo, did I say Stellaris? I meant to say Rome 2."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Have we been releasing development diaries for Hearts of Iron IV? That's still in pre-alpha, it's way too soon. By the way Victoria 3 ships tomorrow."