Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

1) I don't think so? All you can do is liberate nations.

You can use the regional equivalent of the Liberate Country CB to return cores to already existing states, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but not enough, right? I remember reading some post by someone in this thread at some point saying it wasn't as much as expected, even if it was profitable.

Other way around. Wester had made a bet that if V2 turned a profit he'd shave his head. He lost spectacularly because V2 made more than just a profit.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

q. what kind of support will stellaris provide for F U L L C O M M U N I S M

Spending your three points on +Collectivist, +Xenophile, +Materialist?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Wiz posted:

TBF I would put the chance of sacrifices to Jupiter resulting in good AI significantly higher than 'get a bunch of data and just add some ~machine learning~'.

Machine learning in principle is not a bad idea, but the actual implementation would be nowhere near as good as the ~self-learning AI~ that people who suggest this stuff dream of. People think "man wouldn't it be cool if the AI could do that", and it sounds cool, but the truth is, no, it would not be all that cool.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

Something Sword of the Stars did that I really really liked was that the tech tree was randomized, so based on your race you'd have different odds of getting access to different techs, weighted in flavor-appropriate paths. Even if you missed out on a tech though you had the possibility of unlocking it later from enemies that did get it through salvage and expensive research projects so you were rarely locked out completely.

It isn't like the anomalies here are presented as the main way to advance technologically or anything, they are there to give you a huge boost in something in case you succeed. That's what I got from the dev diary anyway.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to work for a game company and your job requirements to be to "must be able to read books and give sage advice" you want to get into law, not history.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, I dont know, to me it seems is more like mana really. Competent leadership alone cant develop provinces or advance technology level nationwide, to cite a few examples.

And it doesn't. Monarch points won't give you buildings, or colonies, or more land, or open up the opportunities to get those by allowing you to expand your army or navy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

We do have screenshots in the OP.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Agean90 posted:

its not that its unexpected, it that this thread was making fun of the paradox forums for the same thing immediately before hand

No, people being disappointed by the way a mechanic works is hardly similar to the pplaza reaction to HoI4 oil. Maybe you could read one or two posts as over the top but hardly any went "now stellaris is forever iredeemable". I think it's bad for the thread to be compared to pplaza the moment sentiment for an upcoming game ever drops under cautious optimism.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It's exactly the same just wordier.

No, it's not. Pplaza is complaining about Paradox trying something new to make HoI4 more fun, goons here are complaining that Paradox is not trying something new and does a thing they know to not be fun.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I disagree that the V2 economy is hard to understand, but there is just so little ways in which you can affect it with the options given to you that it might as well exist independently. It is essentially a non-interactive system. You can give it pushes in one direction or the other, but they will never really be big enough that you'll be able to see the effect, except for the early parts of the lifetime of new tradegoods like Planes if you get in on that production at the same time. Less of a black box and more of a glass case. You can see what's happening inside (though the mechanisms close to the walls obstruct view of the inner ones), but there's no levers, switches or buttons with which to give input, so you're stuck watching.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The date system should obviously change depending on which part of the galaxy you are looking at at any given time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dibujante posted:

What if your planet is tidally locked and there is no day/night cycle?

Time ceases to be important and you play through the entire game simultaneously.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Decimal supremacy: Distance measurement in exameters, zettameters and yottameters.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Focuses look really cool, although I still don't entirely comprehend how they'll play out with everyone else. So if you decide to go for the "Ally China" focus for example, you hit certain pre-reqs and then you auto-ally them? Even if their own focuses are pointed elsewhere?

I'm guessing it will press things in that direction without making them happen 100% of the time. Presumably if you go for Befriend USSR for instance that tells the USSR AI "hey, Germany is willing to ally us" and then the USSR AI might consider the option to ally Germany more seriously when it gets to it.

Also, I believe you mean focii.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

I think it's just one event in an EU III mod, but yeah, he literally believed there used to be dragons roaming the earth. Almost as nuts as the Modern Day HoI III mod that was made by a guy who believed the planes that hit the WTC and the Pentagon didn't exist and were added by CGI into all footage of the events.

The EU3 mod in question is Terra Nova, and yeah, the mod creator literally believes dragons were real.

quote:

This thread is designed to hold anything relating to dragons/dinosaurs and the truth or myths regarding them.
as many of you know, there has been behemoth/sea monster events in TN mod for a long time, but they were very rare. those events are now more common.
this is NOT going to be a discussion thread about if they existed or not. this is ONLY a thread for discussions and comments about the events that are in the mod and how they effect the mod.
I will state my beliefs here. you can laugh all you want but these beliefs will NOT BE DISCUSSED HERE.you need to realize that even if dragons or living dinosaurs did not exist in the EU3 timeframe, the legends and myths about them DID exist. therefore having events about soldiers or other entities that beleive they saw them is NOT a laughable matter and is indeed PLAUSIBLE to at least have situations where these myths (or possible truth) is reported (via events).
so. laugh or not, but dont stop playing the mod due to either of your views. you will hold one of the following opinions and all of them will work just fine while playing the mod (unless you think there was never any myths about dragons or dinosaurs in the EU3 timeframe or before that):
1. you dont care and will play anyway.
2. you think dragons or dinosaurs truly existed during the EU3 timeframe.
3. you think myths about dragons or dinosaurs existed in the EU3 timeframe.
you can state your beliefs here, but any replies to anyones beliefs will be deleted without further notice.Again, this is not a Discussion thread about our beliefs, it is a discussion thread about the implications in the game.
my beliefs are number 2, in the above list, and no, I dont wish to discuss them here. thanks.

quote:

basicly, right now in 12.98, there is a very rare chance of sea monster encounter events for sea going nations.

behemoth events are still rare but are much more common for nations that had historical sightings, encounters or myths of dinosaurs or dragons.

once a nation gets a behemoth encounter/myth event, then they will eventualy get the dragon quest event where they get to decide how the nation will proceed with this information. Natins can try to hunt dinosaurs/dragons, ignore them, worship them, or try to tame them. the 3 choices other than ignore all give permanent bonuses.

regardless of if you feel that living dragons/dnosaurs were true in the time period or just myth, it still plausibly aplies to the game and I will tell you why.

hunting dragons, even if they are not found, will still increase military training, tactics and exercises, thus, military tradition gain is plausible.

worshiping dragons, regardless of if they are real of myth, will still cause the nations religion to adopt them as a icon and perhaps make elaborate costumes and thus the religious culture would be more united.

taming dragons, even if its a myth, could stil raise the nations prestige if they are able to convince other nations that they have captivated dragons.

code:
dragon_tame = {
	prestige = 0.01
	icon = 3
}

dragon_hunt = {
	army_tradition = 0.01
	icon = 7
}

dragon_worship = {
	tolerance_heathen = -1 
	tolerance_heretic = -1
	tolerance_own = 1
	icon = 9
}

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Center view over Africa / Middle East; all scientists are black.

I love it, you guys!!

But all the scientist names come from Latin-derived languages!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

I just hope those anomalies aren't like goody huts in civ, those could break games fast.

An earlier dev diary talked about them, they'll initiate an event chain when researched that can lead to success, failure, or catastrophic failure.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

goodness posted:

EU4 vs CK2

After mistakenly believing CK2 was the newer and more updated game I did some reading all last night to see if I would be interested in playing. I got EU4 on steam awhile, only played a few games at the time and while very complicated I think I had some fun? Today I saw that Eu4 is actually the newer and more recent expansion even so now I am faced with deciding which way to go. Does the knowledge from each overlap in play ability?

EU4 is a newer game but both CK2 and EU4 are actively being developed and expanded.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Another Person posted:

- Fixed map crash when you start Victoria 2 for the first time.

And there I was thinking it was something wrong with something on my end which caused that first time round.

Paradox are releasing a patch for a game from 2010 because they didn't feel it was quite right. Great company.

Probably just closing V2 off before announcing V3 than just to fix it for the sake of fixing it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

Dont worry. You can always be assigned to code in the europa engine... Fix the ctds in ck1..

Still waiting on a Crown of the North patch. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Eskaton posted:

This. This is the worst part of being sphered.

It is also the worst part of sphering someone you import from. Being a great power does not mean you never have to rely on tariffs, and if you sphere someone you're importing from that's a good chunk of your state income gone.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If there's no Space Serbia fallen empire I will not be as happy with Stellaris as I otherwise would've been.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Let's see if I can reach 4000 by Springtime. :toot:

Observer mode games don't count, your play hours are inflated. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Compromise
n.
1. A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions, leaving both sides equally unhappy.

How is doing both automation and manual customisation a compromise that leaves both sides unhappy in this case?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Seems like a ton of effort and complexity given that we'll have almost no control over combat. Maybe I'm missing something but is anyone actually going to want to watch the combat play out other than maybe the first few times and occasionally after that? Like imagine if EU4 went into a little Total War minigame when combat happened, but you couldn't do anything other than order a retreat - it'd be cool a few times but overall pretty pointless. This feels like a lot of bells and whistles when something much more abstracted would play better.

It was said in an earlier dev diary that the actual stuff that happens in combat is a reflection of what happens in the actual combat calculations, so by observing the combat you could figure out what went wrong and how to improve your fleet, I imagine.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I don't really remember seeing much talk about it, but do you remember how we were talking in the thread about how CK2's DLC is poo poo what with always expanding it the wrong way? There's a new DLC to be released on February 2nd that is just the opposite of that, Conclave. It went so far under the radar that they only had time to make 3 dev diaries for it:

Conclave Dev Diary #1
Conclave Dev Diary #2 (mostly council mechanics, realm peace)
Conclave Dev Diary #3 (because this one was posted yesterday, a week before release, they are giving a huge infodump on literally every feature so prepare for a long read)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Way of Life wasn't poo poo, it was amazing.

It was a general observation, Way of Life was good.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much every expansion that widened the gameplay (be it geographical like Rajas or temporal like Charlemagne) made the game less focused. I'm not saying I don't enjoy stuff like pagan comebacks or whatever, but there were tons of stuff beyond Rajas that made the core game feel neglected.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

Nah, there were plenty of good ones, like Sword of Islam and the Old Gods. The only lovely ones were Rajas of India and Charlemagne, because they pretty much expanded the map (or the timeline) with no consequences for the gameplay. The former gave us an isolated mini-world most players won't ever interact width, the latter simply gave us a new map with three giant, stable blobs and little balancing.

Old Gods had fun stuff to do and the focus remained in the core European gameplay I suppose, but I don't think anyone has ever had anything good to say about decadence other than "it works, I guess" after balancing done over like fifty patches.

And even then, Old Gods primarily is fun because it is essentially an alternate scenario rather than because of deep gameplay. Don't get me wrong though, alternate scenarios are really fun and good and I would be super happy to see more official ones or whatever. Same with stuff like Sunset Invasion!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

Decadence is pretty much the only thing that prevents the Abbasid caliph from conquering the entire world in Charlemagne game start.

The point is how fun the feature is to play with, not how well it balances the AI.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't even know what's the problem with decadence now? The only thing you have to do is to not land more than one or two other branches of your dynasty, as insurance in case your main line dies out (which is unlikely with 4 wives). Your family won't expand if done right, since women never inherit, and so decadence is easily manageable. I can't wrap my head around people that have a compulsive need to land their dynasty members. Replacing all rulers with members of your family is fun the first time you do it, but at some point it gets boring. If you keep your family small, then decadence is a very minor annoyance.

Yeah but that is not a fun system to play with, again. "Don't do X and you'll be fine" is not a good or engaging system.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

So you are addicted to landing your family?`It's not the game's fault then. You shouldn't land your family members as a merchant republic either, is that also bad? I really, really don't understand the problem. There's a lot of things you shouldn't do, like giving newly conquered territory to already powerful families, or hire a spymaster with a really high intrigue stat who is also amoral and hates you, etc. Not landing your dynasty is hardly a burden.

None of that make decadence engaging in a fun way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A quick way to tell if a mechanic is good or bad is to ask yourself, "would it be better if I didn't have to deal with this mechanic at all", and decadence flatly falls in the "no" category. If you had the choice of playing as a Muslim with decadence and a Muslim without decadence, you would pretty much always prefer the latter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, in your own words, you'd prefer the former.

:v:

I don't get the joke. :confused: Is this about Torrannor telling me I have an obsessive reaction to land my kinsmen?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, well, obvious mistype on my part. I'm dumb.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Greece should have a focus tree where every option winds up to Restore Byzantium.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hope you consider completely balkanizing China, in response to China's repeated aggression against its neighbors in the present day. Every Chinese state should of course be named something like "Independent [Province]". It is your duty as citizens of the world's only moral superpower.

Sweden hasn't been a great power for quite a long while now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The main problem is that the people who put additional stuff in the game are people who already know the game inside out. A new player coming in the base game has significantly less stuff to learn than a new player that comes in the game with every expansion. That isn't always the case, because for instance adding mechanics to religions or governments that didn't have any only applies when you are playing those religions, and just roughly brings them to parity with the equivalent that already had them. Mechanics that replace others altogether like the fort system only make things worse insofar as they make that mechanic more complex (eg the fort system). But then you have stuff like estates, which are a completely new system on top of everything else. They are a great addition that deepens gameplay, but new players that jump in the game only really have the option to not use the DLC if they want to start learning the game without getting swamped.

It might be a good idea to set up ingame options to turn DLC features on and off selectively if you have the relevant DLCs active, with something like a beginner-friendly pre-set a new player could pick that disables the more "advanced" features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

I understand the bloat concerns as I've played ck2 since realize but gave it up after the expansion that added that ability to romance every character in the game..... And I can see eu4 sliding into that direction

The latest expansion for EU4 added diplomatic feedback so you can totally tell countries you love them and want to be very very close friends and earn their trust!