Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Higher literacy also increases consciousness (as soon as it gets big enough to offset the decrease from clergy in the state, at least). Higher consciousness makes your POPs more likely to vote for the issues they support than for their current ideology. And you can easily get those issues by spamming elections and choosing the options that your liberal party supports.
Militancy is definitely your most important tool early on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Some other Vicky-2 questions:

1) Is there an appropriate war goal to liberate a region for another country? Greece is constantly starting crisis over territory they want from the Ottomans, and it'd probably be less an issue for me to just conquer it for them without having another great power or two breathing down my neck. I know I could just try to knock them out of great power status, but I figure why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

2) Is there a best strategy to freezing people out of trying to take countries out of your sphere? England has this crazy idea that Egypt should listen to them, and that's not happening if I can prevent it.

3) Is there any drawback to high taxes? Like at least as high as you can while the pops are at least getting their basic needs? Does getting everyone luxury needs do something actually good, or something that's secretly bad, like lowering militancy?

1) I don't think so? All you can do is liberate nations.

2) The AI will generally stop trying to influence a nation if you gain points faster than them. So stop investing in your spherelings that aren't being contested and put it all into ones that are. Or if that's still not enough, get those cultural techs that give influence points. That said, playing as Prussia or Austria is hell because you have to change focus every few days.

3) Yeah, getting more goods lowers militancy. That can also be a good thing if you keep getting annoying separatist revolts or something.
You can always check the detailed POP view to see what makes a POP tick (and in the case of militancy, you can just hover over a POP's value in the list view to find out whether getting goods influences it).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
At least subsidies won't grow when your factory is full! Unless capitalists decide to upgrade it :shepicide:.
I always thought the AI can re-open factories, plus don't they get destroyed automatically after a certain time of being closed?
If you think the election popups are bad (they're actually great because you can steer your POPs), you should try playing the USA sometime.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Frontspac posted:

When I bring full communism to the world in Vicky 3, it'll bring full communism to real life.

Also while I recognize the game needs to vastly improve how Lassaiz-Faire/Liberal economics works for the sake of both fun and realism, I get a kick of how it's always and unambiguously the worst government type in the game.

Laissez-Faire would be pretty great without the insane restrictions on max taxes (if those are in vanilla and not added by NNM). Once your literacy gets high enough, there's so many craftsmen that you can easily let the capitalists spam factories and the ones that don't shut down still give you insane industry scores.
State Capitalism is obviously better if your guys refuse to build the correct factories, but I still prefer Laissez-Faire over Planned Economy.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I certainly have no idea how valuable forts were to 1800s army strategy- but I'm guessing less important that in prior centuries- but I'd also probably prefer the EUIV fort defense system for provinces. Then at least I could figure out roughly where people will attack, as opposed to everything feeling like just one open mess of space.

I like how important artillery is to the combat and how railroads combined with the battle lengths allow you to have a large front while still being able to send all your guys into one huge superbattle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Another Person posted:

I'd think they did sometimes, even though it was like 1890. For example, usually I can kill a whole generation of Japanese soldiers with a 60 stack of good men. Like, I can take on 100 men with it and wipe them. Then other times my men all just drop dead because they got bored of fighting. It was probably garbage generals.

Check their tech level, military tactics and all the +artillery attack techs matter a lot. There's a bunch of inventions in the infantry line as well that make it so your dudes start getting better at defense with machine guns and then better at attack afterwards, so you should try to stay on the defensive while you're on machine guns. It also obviously makes a difference whether they're sending a lot of arty your way or just mobilized brigades.

And look at the drat combat rolls.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

See that's why those "we can feed ourself up to X%" statistics fail. It might work out on a calories per day but it is unlikely people would know how to do it. Realisticly if you cut a countries supply and they rely on their own production for food the country will crash and burn down.

But it's easy to do it. An average adult man needs like 2400 kcal a day, right? That's only what, 400 grams of chocolate? I can easily manage to eat that.
Now they just need to somehow enrich chocolate with enough micronutrients so I wouldn't die.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Making your army 100% cav divisions with cav brigades attached will always be my favorite strategy in Kaiserreich. Every unit can break through infantry and outrace them for encircling!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

The Clitorii were from the wealthy families of Rome. The cream of the Roman legion, they were mainly made up of men approaching middle age. These hardened veterans were literally the toughest infantry you could find in the ancient world. The clitorii, behind the other two lines of infantry, were not always required to go into battle, but when they did, their enemies had reason to be worried. These men carried a long thrusting spear and a sword. Being richer, they could also afford better equipment. There were also less of them than of the other two lines. They were the third battle line in the typical Pre-Marian strategy, and the phrase 'Going to the Clitorii' comes from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I didn't see any of you complaining about dragons existing in the A Song of Ice and Fire mod for CK2. :colbert:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought hard sci-fi just meant you don't meet any aliens and instead philosophize about poo poo while waiting hundreds of years to get anywhere in space.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Bonus trivia: Zuul babies are literally hostile little weasel-rats that eat anything and everything. As they grow the males attain sentience and rudimentary psychic powers while the females grow into lumbering brutes that are used solely for breeding and as shock troops because they actually aren't any more intelligent than canines. They are also born in gigantic litters and have a very high mortality rate (mostly due to violence) and adult males form what is best described as a master/apprentice relationship comparable to the Sith where the young apprentices will gladly eat their master at first opportunity and usurp his harems.

All Zuul technology has been "ripped" from the minds of their captives, even their social structure which is based off the Spanish Inquisition (no joke).

And they were engineered to be this way.
Also, doesn't each male Zuul have a harem of females that he basically controls like appendages with telepathy?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

:boom:

I'm guessing this won't make it by christmas, but i'll consider it a christmas gift anyway.

He said it's compiling already. How could it possibly hit after christmas?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Another Person posted:

Please change how colonial races work. A colony is never worth starting a crisis over. I've never seen the AI lose to a player, it just always seems to have more points.

The AI doesn't get magical points. I've made it run out of points a few times before.

Lynneth posted:

The AI also instantly upgrades its colony the moment it can, while the Player has lag due to no notifications of it being upgrade-able. You have to check manually and such, and if you miss even a day, you're behind the AI.

Or just check beforehand when your colony will be ready to invest again. Plus, you need to be 2 levels (IIRC) ahead to get the colony and a level takes several months, so it's not like 1 day makes a difference. Just because the notifier says "OH GOD YOU'RE LOSING AAAAAAAAAA" doesn't mean it's actually that urgent.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does the patch break mods?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there some sort of guideline to what a good industrial score is at a given stage in the game? It's 1870 and I'm in 6th place industrially as USA. I feel like I screwed something up because I kind of changed tacks mid-playthrough. Or is USA just a late-bloomer?

As said above, it really doesn't matter that much. The thing you should care about is population numbers. The USA can soar past every European at roughly that time when China westernizes and immigrants start pouring in.
I usually don't bother minmaxing industry, I just subsidize everything (USA should easily be able to finance that) and let the market sort out the unprofitable factories whenever I get lazy fairies elected.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 28, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

There was a crisis over Alberta, and later the UK went to war over the Yukon. It didn't work. Nothing can stop the horror.

Does anyone know why the US would get cores on two provinces in Chihuahua?

That one event from Nationalism & Imperialism gives cores on provinces that border existing cores, right?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't recall any events like that being in the game (the base game anyway). Manifest Destiny just covers what is part of the United States as we know them today, they don't add any part of Mexico. All I can think of is two territories that technically belong to Texas being under the control of Mexico at the beginning of the game - Laredo and El Paso(?) - and if you annex Texas they become cores for the USA and can be reacquired once Manifest Destiny fires if you didn't grab them earlier.

Only other thing I can can think of is that if you controlled them long enough, and tool control before there was really anyone living there, they will eventually become "yours" once enough people from your accepted culture live there.

Event 2560

code:
trigger = {
		NOT = { is_core = THIS }
		controlled_by = THIS
		is_colonial = no
		OR = {
			is_primary_culture = yes
			is_accepted_culture = yes
			any_neighbor_province = {
				AND = {
					is_core = THIS
					controlled_by = THIS
				}
			}
		}
		owner = {
			tag = THIS
			is_greater_power = yes
			nationalism_n_imperialism = 1
		}
	}

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mans posted:

you think doctors without borders fight in wars for profit?

and I'm sure a villain can give you a 10 minute monolog about why that is a good idea

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm just glad that the devs have decided to allow players to automate out this new and exciting piece of gameplay before the game has even launched. By following in the great path that led to things like eu3's "auto-send merchants" and "hunt rebels" functions, great game design & overwhelming fun are right around the corner!

That's what happens when half the people want a ship designer and the other half don't. They can't very well just completely take it out then.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

zedprime posted:

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, what if they made a good ship designer that wasn't machine optimizable with an in game button because your choices are simple but meaningful?

Looking at this thread, half the people would still cry about having to do that for each of their ship types.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I don't really remember seeing much talk about it, but do you remember how we were talking in the thread about how CK2's DLC is poo poo what with always expanding it the wrong way? There's a new DLC to be released on February 2nd that is just the opposite of that, Conclave. It went so far under the radar that they only had time to make 3 dev diaries for it:

Conclave Dev Diary #1
Conclave Dev Diary #2 (mostly council mechanics, realm peace)
Conclave Dev Diary #3 (because this one was posted yesterday, a week before release, they are giving a huge infodump on literally every feature so prepare for a long read)

I guess it's cool that you can now use focii to decide what kind of education your kid will have instead of just hoping.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Almost done with converting my old CK2 game over to EU4 (West Africa, Afghanistan, Baluchistan and India remains). Again pretty pleased with what it's looking like so figured I'd post some screens of the stuff that's done.

Northern Europe

HRE

France

British Isles

Italy and the Balkans

Iberia

Maghreb

Eastern Europe

Middle East

East Africa and Arabia

Iran and Central Asia

^^^^I agree.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

You jest, but Rome 2: World of Darkness is going to be the best RPG since Runemaster.

Have they said anything yet about reaching out to a dev for that IP?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Reminds me of FATAL

When will Paradox finally model medieval women's historical propensity to getting raped?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

The gameplay and strategy was fine, but I'm speaking in terms of the geopolitical aspects of the Sengoku era which could have been been inspiration for more interesting content. Granted this would have been more Sengoku's domain than Shogun 2's, with Total War being generally facile when more complex aspects of geopolitics are concerned.

Who cares, install FotS and watch Samurai run into your gatling guns.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I like Fall of the Samurai because it's the closest we've gotten to some modern era in a Total War game.

I wish they would try creating a game that covered parts of the late 19th and/or early 20th century in Europe or the Americas but I don't know how they'd get the gameplay systems they've developed to work with things like long range artillery or aircraft.

It would have to be very early 20th century though. TW would stop being TW as soon as you stop using line formations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

In multiplayer I want to be able to bait other players into colonizing holy planets without them knowing

"Hey man, colonize this planet, I swear it's fine. I left it open just for you."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fermun posted:

My guess is we'll get a release date for HOI4 and Stellaris as well as an announcement of what the new Obsidian/Paradox thing is. http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

They got Obsidian on board for their Vampire thing? Nice.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

Victoria 3 in the WoD would be retarded. Congrats you invented better Steel, you get +10% Pentex. Your Mage pops are unruly and demand anarchism. Werevolf revolutionaries rise up and take literally arms.

I highly doubt the mages would revolt. Aren't they busy bending reality and not caring about the puny problems of mortals in that setting?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cool and good posted:

Does this happen often? It is awesome

Is that a gutter crown Bavaria or what's going on there?

Omnicarus posted:

Alternatively, if Distant Worlds is a little too plebian for you, Aurora is a little more in depth and free!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org

Just make sure you don't do it on an old-rear end laptop. I wanted to try it out yesterday actually and if you don't have at least 1024 vertical resolution you won't be able to see half the menu.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Oh they declared. They just lost.

First the Russians came and then the Italians, then the British. The United Kingdom was horrified at the monster they (somewhat) helped create and broke their alliance immediately. Russia and Italy were desperate to contain the beast which was forming on their border. After all, I just took east switzerland and Franche-Comte. The coalition struck in late 1950. Within a year the Italians and the Russians surrendered, the British unable to gain a foothold in German land. I mobilized the people of the Empire but there was no need, my armed forces were sufficient.

They will be back with a vengeance, and I will fight them off again. Germany is an armed camp, and soon enough I force the communists to come to power and a people's revolution will take hold. In the 19th and 20th centuries, there is only war.

That's what always turns me off uniting Germany with Austria sphered. It's just so annoying when it makes you go over the BB limit and then everyone DoWs and you have to throw your millions of mobilized brigades at them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think you're all glossing over the biggest problem, which is that you can't disable the awful loving models in the first place.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

any war that involves russia in victoria ii is so awful. warscore for occupations instantly drops to zero the moment russia joins in. they're just too big...

Eh, it's not too bad. You just have to use their lovely army tech against them and hold off a wave of 200 cannonfodder mobilized brigades and then they'll be ready to peace out regardless.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

I've lived in Europe (Germany) for four years now and I've only really heard it a handful of times, and in all of those cases it was because either that person had married a British person and picked up some of their accent in their English, or they've spent a considerable amount of time in the UK.

The difference is that in Germany, all English-language shows are dubbed so we can't learn from the TV.
I don't think I've ever seen an English teacher try to correct someone's accent either so we don't even try to pronounce "th" correctly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't understand the hate for AUS. All you need to do is shoot a few dissidents and eat a bit of revolt risk and you can become a fully free market authoritarian state. Who can resist that?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Haven't played Africa, but the only depressing thing about Democracy 3 is how easy it is.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

I had it constantly happening in October of 1941, regardless of what I was doing / what speed I played the game on / etc. It was really annoying because my Italy playthrough had just gotten really good at that time too.

I think it might be because of the Pearl Harbor decision when the United States has gone fascist (which I made happen thanks to spies) :toot:)

To be fair, I don't really expect Paradox to guarantee a CTD-free EU: Rome if you play it all the way to 1941.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Only having white pops is less racist though, that way you cannot enslave or purge anyone but whites.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://steamdb.info/app/236850/

I wish I was Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

well i for one am glad you found a way to feel superior to everyone

I love this argument because it never ends. I'm glad you feel superior to him, and now I feel superior to you.