Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really miss SMAC terraforming. Starving put an enemy because you built a mountain range between your borders, causing your side to capture all the moisture was some big brain plays.

Personally I’m waiting for Vicky3 so I can gently caress around with a SMAC total conversion mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah Beyond Earth is bad not just because it has some poorly thought out mechanics but also because the writing is so shallow. The tech quotes are incredibly boring and makes all the leaders seem like cardboard cutouts of an ideology that the suits at Take2 don't approve of.

quote:

Yes, the world is beautiful and unspoiled. But it is wrong. Correct it at once.
— Vadim Kozlov, "Axioms from the Minutes of the Central Directorate" (accompanies "Terraforming" tech)

Some hard hitting commentary here, Mr Kozlov.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

All the decent writing is in the Civopedia of the unit, tech and wonder descriptions. There's a few interesting ones but especially the Promethean project has incredibly problematic ethical questions that need to be answered but the language is very bare and non-confrontational despite the fact we're talking about the creation of a superior human genome.

Edit: Compare that to SMAC where every faction is an extreme ideology taken to the next level with advanced technology and basically no human rights.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 2, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao gonna be a fun crowd at pdxcon when they say epic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Egs exclusive only for early access it looks like

So they won't have a Steam page for a year?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

0.99 to 109.99 per item

e: that's british dubloons or whatever too so.. there is something you can buy in it that is $140????

It's the large currency pack. Game has premium currency lmao.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The bad pay kinda stands out, especially at that level (and in Stockholm). Also like Drone mentioned in his write up the overall feel of the convention was... pretty cheap. The catering was bad and the after show activities didn’t really have anything going for them, they also locked the baron level ticket holders out on the Sunday.

There were apparently goodie bags made (see below tweet) but they never acknowledged that the actual thing people got was a T-shirt and an envelope and that felt a bit lovely.

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/1185952744731009024?s=21

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1186220621363060736?s=21

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paradox games don’t actually have that track record, you’re thinking of Civilization. EU4 was pretty much a feature complete and upgraded EU3. Their games have traditionally always been straight upgrades.

CK3 looks to be more character based and features a new map so it’s likely to play very differently from CK2. I do think it’s a ‘safe’ choice and I would have preferred something else, at least for another year. But we’re likely to see a lot more of this going forward as the push to bring quarterly reports up picks up steam in the next few years. It’s easy to tell that releasing so many things concurrently in November is an effort to get a good yearly sales report.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

Just wanted to correct this, as there was a mistake in shipping we did not get all the bags that were planned (only 200 out of 2200) and had to resort to envelopes. No one is happy that it happened, but it was communicated at the convention. And it sucks that some people claim that the event team tried to cheapen the goodiebags when that was not the case. It also means we have like 2000 PDXCON2019 bags that we need to figure out what to do with back in Stockholm...

Also different levels of ticket holder got different goodiebags, quill18 has the Emperor one (I think), and I think the lowest tier had like Bloodlines 2, Lithoids and some more stuff in it.

Huh, I must have missed that. I was at the pre-show and announcement show and I don’t remember hearing it. But if it was announced then I apologise.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

At goodie bag pickup is my understanding, there were a lot of people there though so I am not surprised that some might have missed it.

Oh well that hardly counts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

Communicating it at the point where it could be communicated? :confused:

It should have been addressed on stage so pdx can be seen to own the mistake publicly. All I got was a ‘size?’ and and a ‘here you to’.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it’s aggressively avoiding anything close to a risk of bad publicity on stream.

Edit: I mean yeah it’s just a drat canvas bag, but like I said it wasn’t addressed in any satisfying way and after standing in line under the sign that literally says Goodie BAG it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest that telling people sorry no bag as you hand them an envelope is a satisfying apology.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Average Bear posted:

CK2 just doesn't flow well for multiplayer.

At least the stability has vastly improved. We're 3 sessions into a 10-14 player game in Mapgoons and we've had exactly none issues, we did feel speed 2 is the only reasonable one though because of popup spam but happily you can reduce most of it with filters.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s been both funny and sad watching Paradox’s decline over the last two years since they went public. Today we talked in discord about the new Punic Wars for Imperator and for Carthage being such a major faction they didn’t include unique army models for them, they still use the default Greek units but get a ship and a mercenary model.

Someone also pointed out to me that Imperator launched with a music DLC that’s supposed to get new tracks with every major update but you have to PAY for it and it didn’t come with the deluxe version of the game. So if you don’t buy that DLC you’re stuck with the release songs forever.

Plus the new Stellaris DLC looks to be adding another building type along with a new job type and it’s just more bloat for a game that’s already coming apart at the seams, combined with the cheap feel of PDXcon this year and the poor communication about the issues there I feel like PDX is really in the decline phase we’ve seen in other studios after they got bought out. Federations is probably the first stellaris DLC I’ll skip and it’s increasingly looking like they’re just making poor decisions everywhere trying to chase dividends. The mobile game blew up because of stolen assets but I really felt like the big scandal of that game was the cynical way it was aimed at extracting money from whales.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imperator’s dev blogs were a very accurate indication of what type of game it would be at launch. A bunch of percentage modifiers strung together unevenly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just devalue old DLC tbh. EU4 is extremely bloated and honestly all but the last 5 or so DLC's should just come free with the base game at this point. You can make arguments for stuff like Republics because all it really does is unlock a government type, but PDX have always tried to put in a core feature with flavor DLC so that those that aren't necessarily interested in the Ottomans or Russia have an incentive to purchase the DLC and that messes with that formula.

A gamepass type situation for PDX games would honestly be fine but I doubt they could get away with not including the newest DLC's unless they go for a tiered subscription model and that's another can of worms right there.

Basically I feel like Paradox could nip a lot of this in the bud by just making DLC's that are older than 2 years roll over and be free content.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Half-wit posted:

Good idea, next paradox grand strategy needs to be an always-online MMO.

It’s already here. It’s called Stellaris mobile.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imperator needed to come out of the gate as a game that had its own identity instead of being a watered down mix of EU4 and CK2. Every single feature in the game is half baked and many are completely pointless. Why is army tactics a thing I have to select? Why does it model characters with marriages and family lines in an even thinner way than Medieval: Total War?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i still laugh when i remember the time he spent half an hour looking for a princess to marry in ck2 and ended up marrying a priestess because he can't read correctly under pressure

I was about to post about that time he streamed the preview copy of Stellaris: Apocalypse and got extremely mad and angry for like 2 hours because he failed to read tooltips correctly. I used to watch Arumba but he really just isn't fun to watch anymore, he's just a huge downer. I don't think pdx blacklisting him (if they have) is because of an isolated incident.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On the bright side, Arumba's Factorio let's plays are fun to watch because he isn't rushing it and usually plays it with a friend.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy is Danish however and deserves all the scorn we get for that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

fuf posted:

what does being blacklisted mean?

No early review copies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rynoto posted:

PDox never responded to my refund request for SotS2 and it still annoys me a bit :( Last game I ever preordered that had their name attached (yes they were just the publisher, I know)

I remember getting refunded but it was never taken off my steam list.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Considering that CK3 has the whole religious tenets thing that lets you make gay relationships completely kosher, I feel like it’s a weird thing for them to be still hard coding same sex marriages as a no-no and I think it’s time that PDX relaxes that. I want my duke to marry his gay lover and whatever I guess his brother can inherit down the line.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol good riddance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

I... I don't think we've hired Guilli?

Well you hired Wiz because he fixed CK2, so clearly what you need to do is hire Guilli and have him make Victoria 3.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The guys behind the Emperor's Text to Speech YouTube series have switched to WoD so they'll be doing vampire content in the future. That's pretty cool but I wonder if PDX will be okay with it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure we have an explicit 'Yes please' stance on fan content.

Excellent.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Another problem that happens at a lot of companies is that people that were an integral part of the company at its infancy, get promoted past their competence because of seniority. So you've got excellent developers who get promoted to management positions without any real people skills and you end up in the situation like the above poster. Its a double edged sword too because people want to progress through the company and someone who's been in the same position for 10+ years without a significant promotion/raise will eventually want to move on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a poorly made DLC, I expanded on it a little more in the Surviving Mars thread, but it basically boils down to a few things.

They introduced a new map layer but didn't solve the interesting problems around it, the caves exist in a complete vacuum from the surface game and moving people, material and rovers between them is micromanagement hell. Even worse, you can drop a rover down as soon as you investigate an anomaly on top of the first entrance you find, but you can't interact with anything down there until you get a doser and research a midgame tech to actually remove the caveins. This means your first rover is permanently stuck until you build an elevator and you will at most find one anomaly to investigate until you get the clearance tech. Basically they give it to you as an option the very moment you find an entrance, but you can't interact with any of it until you hit the mid to late game.

The biggest sin however is that they didn't introduce trains. Long distance resource distribution underground is done by underground flying drones which is loving hilarious.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like Vicky 3 is going to have multiple insanely good alt history or straight up fantasy total conversion mods. If the war game is at all detailed all I’m ever going to need is a decent steampunk mod.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao they were forced to pay 270k to a female employee and they not only kept the guy around? They promoted him?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I read that wrong, still seems crazy he was around all the way to only two months ago.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

After the End would make a great Vicky 3 mod.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Big and small water barriers also matter. The med is small and it's a fairly short trip across which means cultures are somewhat similar and can trade ideas. Then you have the large barriers, like the oceans and you'll find much more cultural diversity. The Aztecs, China, India and many places in Africa all have very distinct and unique cultures with minor similarities that are mostly similar because of how humans think.

One culture in Africa had a tradition of binding the heads of children to promote weird skull shapes, this idea existed in China too but with feet and these cultures never had contact.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hellioning posted:

It feels really weird to have a stream on youtube for the CEO and CFO to go over their quarterly earnings report. That seems like something to be given at a board meeting not to everyone on YouTube.

Still lolling when the previous CEO slipped and called the fans at the Berlin PDXcon shareholders.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They did make the change to fewer, but larger full price expansions on CK3. So I could see that becoming a new price range where the expansion is $40 and smaller DLC's are $15-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Up to release Imperator's dev diaries really showcased how bland it was too. Every screenshot was just examples of percentage modifiers and various numbers. This was clearly felt by PDX too as in the last few weeks up to release Johan stopped writing the diaries and they were much more interesting after that.

But yeah as everyone else said, the core issue was that there wasn't really anything interesting going on. All the tribals were playable but might as well not have been in the game as they were just boring. They were clearly meant to have a bigger focus on characters, but it was bland interactions and nothing really made individuals stand out. I think Imperator fell into a lot of the same blandness that Civilization: Beyond Earth did. It felt like they wanted to be Crusader Kings without being Crusader Kings, and EU4 without being EU4. Just a series of borrowed but hollowed out features.