Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

There was like 4 different posters before that saying something like "Oh no, pre-order canceled!" over the planet DD too, it seemed silly to me too.
Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see them. Like, one guy said he was off the hype train, and another made a Spore joke. Hardly "the sky is falling" style posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think there's a pretty clear distinction between 'I don't like this mechanic because it doesn't sound fun and I haven't enjoyed it in other games' and 'I don't like this mechanic because IT'S NOT REALISTIC ENOUGH'. Though I suppose from a grodnard's perspective, anything less than perfectly realistic is 'less fun' somehow.
Yeah, it's like the exact opposite approach to criticism, unless the person critiquing makes the realism = fun connection.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

As far as Tiles go, I have no idea what to think about them because the diary is far too vague and we don't really have any understanding of the real scope of the game or how the scope changes as it progresses still. I feel like these dev diaries are a lot less helpful (and a lot more prone to confusion) when we're looking at a brand new game where we don't even really have a basic concept of the game flow or mechanics.
True, it's a bit harder to grasp the gameplay implications in a game which doesn't have any immediate predecessors, even if it obviously takes inspiration from other games. Hopefully the feature will at worst be "Eh".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

This seems like a good feature and I hope it ends up in V3.
The election system should function exactly like the civil war system, except the units fighting and their strength are based on voting laws, with the winner ending up forming a government.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Hahaha that's amazing. Just something that assesses it's own strength at like, 500% or something?
I think it was a -90% modifier to the perceived military strength of the US.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GSD posted:

Danzig for Slovakia :psyduck:

fakeedit: oh i am an idiot. trade Danzig for Slovakia. I somehow read it as "We demand you give Danzig to Slovakia!"
Kind of a strange trade really. I mean, Slovakia wasn't historically a part of Poland. Now, I admit that this is obviously not a requirement for conquest, but it's just that, well, Lithuania is right there. Wouldn't it make much more sense to have Poland trade Danzig for German support in Lithuania? If Germany is befriending Poland it clearly doesn't have the same designs on Eastern Europe as it did historically, so letting the Poles take Lithuania wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, they could take Latvia and Estonia too, even if the Germans would probably want Memel. That way Poland retains access to the sea, and retakes lost territory, all the while preemptively protecting Eastern Europe from the Reds.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Make more sense geopolitically but from a gameplay perspective, it could cause balance issues for German forces to have to more through Polish territory in their invasion of the USSR - it could mess up supply routes, control and ownership of the conquests and unit pathing and front logic.
Didn't think of it from that perspective, not being a great expert at the HoI games. If that is an issue it certainly makes sense to favor gameplay. I guess Paradox could always just add the Lithuania alternative if they fixed the gameplay issue in some later DLC.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mans posted:

imagine a world where when people indicated "there be dragons" in unexplored parts of the sea they weren't actually kidding.
There's a mod for that. By someone who literally believes that to have been the case in real life.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Decrepus posted:

All that and you can't even gently caress the dragon? I'll stick to skyrim for now.
The dragon-loving is implied.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

Seems fine to me. They're just going so fast I have trouble reading stuff. And yeah, the game's loving beautiful.

EDIT: HOLY poo poo TROTSKY'S LEADING THE USSR AND HE SHAVED
Was he bald too? Paradox better follow the Bald–hairy Rule.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Everyone knows that in Star Trek Deep Space Nine, bald goatee Sisko was far better than hairy clean-shaven Sisko. :colbert:
This is a serious matter of Russian political history, not space fantasies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drone posted:

Santa Johan, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas Day Yuletide is an unannounced early HOI4 release :pray:
The wait will be over by Christmas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

At the rate of Dev Diary releases it kind of has to be Q1, unless they're taking a big break for the holidays.
It's Paradox, a month long holiday starts tomorrow.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Radial symmetry is common enough in ocean species, but it doesn't really allow for effective movement on land, where you pretty much have to use limbs to get around (excepting snakes, say).
Why exclude the ocean though? Interstellar Starfish is the name of the game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

So you've got multiple Nevas, one on both sides of the city, and if the Germans want to envelopment it they have to cross to Finland and come at it from the north? Which probably won't be a problem for them, but I'm not sure what else you could do to make it unenvelopable. Maybe add a little promontory there, stick the city on that, and give it only one adjacent province? Hmm. The geography's not really set up to support that at this scale.
Alternative solutions would be some province borders into the Leningrad province being impassable (which would be weird), or a province modifier which removes any bonuses from envelopment against defenders in the city. The latter could be used in other places too, if appropriate, though obviously such exceptions to regular gameplay should be few and far between, so as to not make it so the player feels like they can't keep track of where they can envelop and where they can't. A little icon above the city would probably help too in that case.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

But is Sweden winning?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

popewiles posted:

I can't help but want a light-hearted Stellaris themed expansion for eu4 now. Maybe aliens can decide to uplift some OPM who gets massive tech discounts. There could be some sort of religious crisis where provinces may decide to abandon their traditional religion in light of the existence of a more advanced alien species. Obviously another comet option like "I want to believe".

Oh, and better representation of China.
Aliens arrive at a random time and burn any country presently at war to the ground, reducing their provinces to an uncolonized state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And here everyone thought they learned from their past mistakes with CKII.
They do it on purpose, so people can spend time with their real families, not their fake computer families.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Crossover DLC with Stellaris, Turing's codebreaking computer has a small percentage chance of becoming sentient and turning upon its masters.
"The machine was meant to defeat the Nazis, instead it became Hitler's greatest disciple!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Paradox clearly needs to include super-science in HoI4, now that they've included super-science (canals) in EU4. Atlantropa is a must.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Can't believe that in HoI4 you can just click a button and RADIO JUST HAPPEns. Why not put in the smallest bit of effort and have us have to set the precise frequencies, code schedules, and transmission timetables for all of our signal companies???

loving casuals
We need codec calls. I want to discuss movies with Hitler.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Wait why is the Soviet Union illegitimate?
False religion, just like the Ottomans.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

He probably hoped he'd be installed as dictator and could reclaim his rights!
"Mr. President, it seems one of the companies assigned to the landings at Anzio has gone AWOL. Apparently the commander was convinced by one of his subordinates to support his claim on the Ottoman Empire, in return for a governorship."

[This will not be tolerated]
[Give him our support]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Paradox posted:

This week we will talk about the Ship Designer. Last week we said that this week would be about “War, Peace, Influence and Claims”, but due to some really good (and secret) reasons we have decided to postpone that Dev Diary for a later date.
Paradox cutting down massively on diplomacy in favor of the ship designer confirmed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kersch posted:

This DD was really losing me until "For those of you who really don’t like to fiddle around with designing your own ships (and we know that you are legion), we have the option to auto-generate new ship designs whenever you research a new technology with something that the game thinks you should use on your ships. This algorithm is very close to what the AI will use."
I'm a bit confused by it being "very close to what the AI will use" though. Wouldn't you want it to figure out the optimal loadout in both cases, which would imply the same algorithm? Or is the AI programmed to not go for certain features because it hasn't been programmed to understand them? (In EU4 terms, not taking upgrades which reduce attrition because the AI is immune basically.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wiz posted:

On the automation, it's usually not a good solution but in this case where there's such a split between people who want to design ships and people who don't, it's really the only sensible one.
Compromise
n.
1. A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions, leaving both sides equally unhappy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sharzak posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up.
Are you okay dude?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

How is doing both automation and manual customisation a compromise that leaves both sides unhappy in this case?
Potentially; not enough meat to the customization/too much effort spent on customization which could have been spent on good gameplay.

Really though, it was mostly a comment on how I don't envy them having to juggle vastly different wants and expectations, knowing that some compromises can be deeply unpopular among different target groups for different reasons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

popewiles posted:

I just imagined a world where people felt as invested in the decisions of their local government as closely and passionately as they do to the choices of videogame developers.
Local government is just a province modifier, it really doesn't matter much.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love ship design in games where that's the focus, like Star Sector, or even moo2 with its actual front and centre tactical combat system.

But in Stellaris we've got more of an eu4 style combat system, it's abstracted, it's hands off. Yet the level of detail in the ship designer seems akin to picking the boots, pants, belt, tunic, exact armour, weapon type, spear tip, grip, backpack, belt pouch items of your troops in EU4. If the combat is that abstracted the designer should be that distracted. If the ship design is super detailed, then the combat should be based around that too and be a hands-on affair. Maybe it works great in practice, but I have a feeling it's a compromise between the game's overall design of not having tactical combat, but wanting to please ship-design-nerds by letting them specify gas or electric ranges in the ship's kitchen. I'd be happy with one or the other.
Ideally, ship design would be entirely cosmetic, giving you the option of making regal/utilitarian/evil looking ships, with a choice of laser colors, explosion styles, and effects for doing warp jumps and poo poo. Higher techs and different ethics would unlock different cosmetic options.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

That's needlessly fiddly, to me. Why can't I just have "Soldiers, Tanks, Planes, Ships"?
It's important to model the skill and bravery of the fourth SS Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B division, whose contributions to the Eastern Front saved Western Europe from Soviet aggression.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The game even has vassal swarms.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

I was a little surprised by the revelation that you can deliver nuclear weapons by rocket as well as by plane - in reality the first nuclear missiles were deployed in 1959, well outside the time-frame of Hearts of Iron 4.
HoI4 including parts of the Cold War was confirmed when East vs. West was cancelled.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

8bitlawd posted:

I gotta confess something that's been on my mind for awhile... not to be a typical paradoxian moaner but I honestly hate the font and well, entire visual style of HoI 4 whether it be the colors, icons, or anything else I've seen. I'm not even trying to be that guy but it has to be said; I realize that this might be the correct aesthetic for the period but "my immersion" wouldn't be any more ruined if it looked somewhat better then it is when I conquer the world as Romania.
The interface should be made of the highest quality oak panels, the finest red cloth, and luxurious gold trim. Really though, I'm not sure I'm feeling it either. I think it kinda depends on what I'm looking at. Anyway, the solution is to mod the entire interface so it matches the look of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Hmm, it's just one interface aesthetic, not one per ideology, right? Would be kind of cool with different skins.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I would assume surviving as Poland without allying Germany would be to basically go the other route, go communist and pray to almighty God that the Soviet Union will accept an alliance. Surviving on your own, or even supported by Britain and France seems to be a long shot since those two are too far away to be able to do much to stop the Germans from rolling all over you.

I would imagine that an achievement for Poland is going to be to occupy all (or atleast part) of Germany.
Occupy half of Germany with France as an ally before 1940.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

"I don't care about this newfangled German dictator, I'm never changing my beard!"

I assume HoI4 will include the same effects.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was interested to see that USNews and Wharton have nicked paradox's idea and are now publishing prestige rankings for nations in 2016: http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries

Presumably this means the US economy will now come to a screaming halt as Germany hoovers up the world's supply of raw materials.
Nah, the real world runs on the Victoria III engine. German prestige is only wrecking the economies of the European Trade Zone.

Actually, given that this is clearly based around American views of which countries are great and which aren't, it made me think. It would kinda make sense that, similar to how aggressive expansion is no longer a global thing in EU4, perhaps prestige could be exist on a per-country basis in V3? With an weighted average* being applied for world rankings. That would basically mean that you'd have to actually do poo poo in a region to build up your influence, so kicking the rear end of Brazil would make you look tougher to Argentina than doing the same to Siam.

Hmm, actually, maybe just have Influence be this per-country prestige, without a hard cap and applicable to even great powers. It could then work similarly to trade power in EU4, with it being more of a sliding scale of how much of their poo poo you can get access to, rather than being an all-or-nothing thing. Obviously the country's own strength would afford them influence too. Having 50%+ influence in another country would then count as you having them in your sphere, unlocking diplomatic options, allowing you to undermine your rivals and possibly annexing them eventually, at even higher levels of influence. Such a system would also allow China to both have its influence within its own borders vastly reduced relative to foreigners, but still maintain nominal independence because the sheer number of foreigners loving with them prevents any one from dominating. A country like Siam might likewise attempt to balance the influence two imperial rivals exert on it, to retain its independence.

*Based on industrial score perhaps?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Denmark refuses to believe that it has been sphered either.
Our government is a bunch of nationalist rebels, so we dropped out of the German sphere of influence again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

A quick way to tell if a mechanic is good or bad is to ask yourself, "would it be better if I didn't have to deal with this mechanic at all", and decadence flatly falls in the "no" category. If you had the choice of playing as a Muslim with decadence and a Muslim without decadence, you would pretty much always prefer the latter.
Actually, in your own words, you'd prefer the former.

:v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I don't get the joke. :confused: Is this about Torrannor telling me I have an obsessive reaction to land my kinsmen?

YF-23 posted:

A quick way to tell if a mechanic is good or bad is to ask yourself, "would it be better if I didn't have to deal with this mechanic at all", and decadence flatly falls in the "no" category.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Oh, well, obvious mistype on my part. I'm dumb.
It was clearly a Freudian slip, proving that despite your protestations to the contrary, you love decadence and want to marry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

While I'd like to know more about the battle planner as well, I'm one of those people who liked to manually control everything in HOI3 (and other games) and I don't know if I'd trust the system to fight intelligently or any better than I would. Like, how does it know how to match up your forces with your opponents the best way to counter them (i.e. so you're not trying to drive your tanks across a river at AT guns fortified on the other side) or when to push, when to fall back or flank? Does it just randomly distribute forces along the line you've drawn? And how does it deal with pockets and other flanks? When they were marching on Stockholm it looks like half the forces just race past it and let the British breakthrough in the south without any resistance.

It honestly strikes me as a semi-automated system that I'm going to have to fight with and won't trust to leave it to run on its own.
This is what's known as immersive gameplay. No other game comes anywhere close to really putting you in the mindset of Hitler.