Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

Fears of early British carriers running around the Mediterranean just barfing Swordfish while Italians uselessly flail come to mind...

well if the British go full out on producing and using the best aircraft of the entire war it will be no surprise if they dominate the air and sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I can't remember which iteration of HoI2 (and HoI2-offshoots) it was, but the ideal fleet was a massive ball of CL and CA + some CVL to increase detection. They would chew their way through everything (except the even more OP naval configuration, a stack of pure NAV bombers).

In AoD the best fleet were 30 destroyers. 30 Submarines would devour everything but DDs could wreck submarines.

Of course like you say, NAV bombers were the kings of the sea in every HoI

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Look, if the filthy potato people of Adsehteb IV didn't want to be blown to smithereens, they should've nicely kissed the boot of the Empire.

And as for their collective alien mother, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crash74 posted:

Wow all the saltiness about the ability to play as space rome and salt the earth of space carthage.

will we have space mercenaries, space merchants, space colonies, space elephants and space alps?

this is important

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i loving hope this game isn't a disapointment

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Why are soldiers so big in EU4? Ever notice they're totally not to scale with the castles???

honest to god i had a really serious discussion with a friend of mine because his stupid rear end refused to play EU2 because the soldiers were too big, it was unrealistic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope stellaris takes a lot of inspiration on SOTS's artwork because it was really really good.

These are official promotional images.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Pseudo-random tech trees was universally considered to be one of the best things about Sword of the Stars and was really good at keeping the game fresh. Good to see it make a comeback.

unless the random tech tree locked you out of point defense technology. if that happened it was insta-remake.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why are people so fixated with game converters

i can kind of, kind of, understand the logic of a CK to EU converter but by the time you're done with EU you have to be mentally challenged not to be dominating the entire world or have a ridiculous blobfest who will only further monopolize the world by the end of Vic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reminds me of EU3's snake Bohemia.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

I'm sure you can never declare war and focus on internal development.

if your okay with being a space pussy and getting used as a buffer state by a real state

SPACE ROMA INVICTA

Technically Rome had very few, almost none, offensive wars. Virtually every single conflict was justified as defending Rome or a very important ally whose integrity is being put into question.

Rome was always the bullwark against tyranny and senseless aggression.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

That actually makes me wonder if a MSF/Diamond Dogs mod would work where you just use the expeditionary forces mechanic to fight in other people's wars for profit.

you think doctors without borders fight in wars for profit?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

I'm gonna say that the Ottoman claim is legitimate and that Bayesid III is the current heir of Rome.

kinda weird how the current Ottoman claimant was U.S. soldier.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

That's needlessly fiddly, to me. Why can't I just have "Soldiers, Tanks, Planes, Ships"?

why do i need to click poo poo at all? why do i have to declare war? make trade and research? ugh, it's so stupid. let me just click the icon on my steam games list and let the game play itself without these obtuse things like player interaction.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know that it's almost 90% garanteed that two months into HoI4's release someone will know just exactly what fleet combination is the utter OP one, like the all destroyer fleet of HoI2 was, so in a way it's understandable that people are afraid that Stellaris' ship creation will be worthless.

The solution to this is increase the details of choice, make fully fleshed out 3D battles where every single ergonomic detail counts and possibly with real life space fight ranges.
'

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

Yall are going to have to tell me who those kicking rad warpainted bird / pterodactyl dudes are because they look like they know how to gently caress

The Morrigi are a race of space crows\dragon hybrids. When you play as them you get accustomed to being being yelled at 24\7 because all voice files of the Morrigi race is of someone yelling with a smoking-lady harpy voice. Their ship designs are all about style, so stylish indeed that some weapons don't function unless they're lucky to find an enemy in their very weird POV. They're also expensive as hell but that's okay because the Morrigi are all about trade.

They're space persians if the Persians found a way into space and turned into crows.

They're probably the funnest faction to play with, alongside the Zuul (space cannibal baboons) and Humans (Humies).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn will you please release Stellaris so i can pretend SOTS got a third game?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

Stellaris Thread: In Space No One Can Hear You Sperg

one of the best parts of SOTS was the fact that if you zoomed in on a Liir ship during battle you could hear dolphins crying when the ships exploded.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's really impressive how people mathematically predicted the existance of a planet in the middle of our solar system in 1846

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah that's probably it, Take Berlin as Poland.

My experience with Poland allying with the Soviets in HOI2 was that they would either A) Not move troops in to help at all despite being my allies, or B) Would start moving them in well after Germany had come smashing through. It'd be nice if you could ally early and say, "hey can you uh, send some guys up to my front lines ahead of time? Just in case?"

Are you sure they didn't give you troop control at the start of the war and you didn't notice it?

The AI in HoI2 really likes to dump their armies into their human allies and if you have that pop-up disabled it can go unoticed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

I think that might be an intentional decision, from what it looks like, research points still accumulate during the time you haven't selected the next topic yet, so maybe you aren't losing anything and are able to make a meaningful decision for RIGHT NOW when the war is going on without having to plan as much what the situation will be like in your war in 5 months or whatever.

vs.

Progress bar looks like it has moved a little before the next research topic was even selected.

"we don't know what we're researching but damnit we're close to it" is actually really close to a lot of WW2 research.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's beautiful...

Football Manager's looking better than ever.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's because EU4 is the best game ever released and even CK2 nerds end up playing EU4 without realizing it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rakthar posted:

Ah cool throwing in your lot with Larry. Yeah videogames that change are real scary, I wish these developers would stop developing their game. Reverting to a previous patchlevel? Total bullshit.
It''s a valid comment. I have friends that i played EU3 with back in the day and they simply refuse to play EU4 because it's comically complex compared to how barebones EU3 was (by comparison obviously).

I haven't played much since Common Sense due to personal issues and when the Cossacks expansion came out i returned to the game and i was loving lost. If you can get lost by missing two patches imagine what someone who hasn't played since EU3 or at all will think of all the mechanics.

EU4 is an amazing game but you need to take a lot of time to get to know the game. I wouldn't call it bloat because the mechanics don't make the game worse, they're all masterfuly implemented and add depth to the game, but they certainly increase the learning curve.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

I'm working my way through Anatolia and the Caucasus at the moment and just noticed that the province code for Ganja in the Caucasus is 420.

this is why paradox deserves all your pre-orders.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

Generally I agree with that, but in this case the bonus is so out of character with how England's ideas are set up (naval pretty much entirely). It would probably be more accurate to give them infantry combat tradition and move their naval morale out a ways (they were bad at boats for a pretty long time leading up to game start) but then the real exploit would become winning the HYW as France, not England.

Russia didn't have infinite manpower, the Otoman empire wasn't a super tolerant heaven, Prussia didn't have armies composed of invincible robocops.

It's a game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

I think we're arguing the same thing. All of those are caricatures, as is "England rules the waves". Which is ok. The problem is when part of the time period hinges on a nation defying its caricature. In this case, longbows are actually out of character but they're still the only explanation for why England was able to hold onto its French holdings for so long. The way Paradox has traditionally fudged this is by tweaking the game start, e.g. by giving France's provinces really high autonomy, having Albania start with Skanderberg as a 5/5/5 general, or giving Scotland +1 leader shock as long as they are 7 provinces or fewer.

Similarly, I think it would work for England to get some kind of "English Longbow" modifier granting them +infantry combat for the first 50 years or if they control more than X provinces not in the British Isles region, whichever happens first.

To be fair there were parts during the hundred years war where the french monarchy as barely able to enact orders beyond what he wanted for dinner.

The English could've had poop on sticks if all the French were more focused on taking advantage of weak monarchs to cement their local strangleholds.

Which to be fair is something that pops up frequently in French history before and after the HYW too :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
later dates in EU games have always been a joke

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The "millions of europeans enslaved by Barbarian pirates" came from a dude who assumed the peak of barbary slavery was the regular yearly number of captives and as such assumed that that number was constantly high during 400 straight years. And the slaves in galleys was never true. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

What does this mean?

It may be released.

:ohdear:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

So I really want to put in a day of vacation time for the HOI4 release date. Whenever that may be (hint hint, Paradox).

you're pretty cute if you think a paradox game will be playable on release day :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

Schizotek posted:

I know they had slaves. I was going more for stereotypes for what people think of ancient Persia. Neither of the other two things are really true either. Although these days ideas of ancient Petsia are probably entirely informed by 300 than the Bible and western Harem fantasies.
They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

speaking of gifts im like alwayas at 12-13k ducats right now as ottomans.

is me strat of being hey vassal guy here is 1k ducats go crazy! a bad idea?

my only vassal is the opm mamalukes (lol) but i was tossing money to tripoli before i integrated them

every time i'm filthy rich in Eu4 i just give ridiculous amounts of money to my rival's rivals and see them flood my enemies with mercenaries.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bel Monte posted:

Austria: "drat you, Prussia... drat you, and your faster growing breasts..."
Oh, I found a snippet from the old thread, might as well bring it here too!

The nightmare can never die.

i would like to know more

Gort posted:

Yeah, lots of the game mechanics (EG: Airpower) are basically not in use since they barely have time to move their land forces around. On the other hand, playing on speed 1 would be glacial.

I play Europa multiplayer with one other person, and we usually play on speed 3 in peacetime, pausing if something big comes up. We go to speed 2 in wartime.
The best part of EU MP is when two people go to war and they both go "please pause" at the same time :allears:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enjoy posted:

Vandal scum

[Genseric sacks Space Rome for the first time]
Genseric Skywalker: Got it! I got it!
Han Alaric: Great, kid! Don't get cocky.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's take a step back and appreciate EU3 for a while.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of EU3 was the comical amount of people who bought EU3 Complete :allears:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Russian bias strucks again

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany has a "Befriend Japan" vs. "Befriend China" decision in their national focus tree though, meaning Germany can already seemingly override Japan. I don't see a reason why China and Japan couldn't both have the option to suck up to Germany, and then have it be up to Germany what it will do. I mean, they have requirements, so China's could be one that basically means Japan clearly isn't going to have much if any luck in China anyway.

What possible advantage would a German player have in supporting Japan instead of China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

China cannot project naval power and is going to be in a slogfest against Japan for the length of the war most likely, so it would be as good as Japan except without the ability to harass the Allies..

i'm speaking of my experience on HoI2. China had so much manpower that they could drown the world in militias and still come out on top. If i could ally China i'd use their infinite milita to swarm Siberia and gently caress, there were so many militias i think i could've made a human bridge straight to alaska.