Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Also, Paradox, please make drat sure that I can rename every star/star system/planet/moon/asteroid that I own. That seems like a no brainer, but every now and then I find a game that doesn't let me do this as much as I want and I get irrationally angry. I don't want the loving Delta Pavonis system, it's supposed to be New Serbia! :mad:

I agree for the most part but you chose one of the best systems as your example and if there's one you should never ever be renaming it's Delta Pavonis. You plebeian.

e; Distand Worlds is, in my opinion, the best space 4X since MoO2. It's far from perfect but drat does it scratch my itches in all the right ways. Especially when I play with the Warhams mod :orc:

Also haha, I believe the last time someone asked about DW me and Gwyrgyn Blood were the first couple to respond and said the exact same things :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There's an option to stop defeated pirates from respawning? But yeah, the resources aren't handled as well as they might be, and it's more about making sure you have a source for everything than working around your shortages or whatever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm very eager to deploy all the might of my interstellar empire to dicking around with some primitive shitlords who still think FTL is impossible. I want to genetically manipulate them so that privileged people give birth to historically oppressed groups, like if rich white people IRL started having black babies out of nowhere. I want to fling an asteroid at the capital of their largest empire and see what happens. I want to put a terraformer in orbit and start stealing all their air. I want to funnel suitcase nukes into the hands of their most vicious terrorists. I want to arrive and make broadcasts about how we're going to help this world and gift them technologies that will solve 80% of their ills and then ignore the intelligent simian species completely, don't even react to them, while we uplift and civilize lobsters. Or to engineer a loving gigantic lobster and unleash it upon them, and keep throwing more and more kaiju at them.

Paradox I better be able to be the biggest dickhole imaginable to these assholes :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fister Roboto posted:

But then you lose the ability to use your uppity Czech soldiers as cannon fodder.

Well, you could keep the nationality stat but just apply it when a brigade is mobilized, so when you build one it just rolls a d100 to determine which pop it belongs to.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I like playing as an evil fucker in map painting sims (c.f. my earlier post about what I want to do to aliens in Stellaris) but I also like playing as an ahistorically progressive power and often I am in between.

It is totally reasonable for other people to have different attitudes towards this and consider some powers/countries/leaders to be something they don't enjoy playing as. This is natural and normal and even a monumentally autistic goon like me can understand that.

Admittedly I would be fascinated to see someone like Rincewind do an LP which involves Bad Things and how Byzantiny comes to terms with it later when they realize what they did, because it would be nice to see a take other than "and glorious Fuhrer Mosley killed all the Cornish, allowing Britain to enter a new golden age", but that is a very different thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lol @ anyone who doesn't think SMAC is one of the greatest works of the 20th century, in any medium

Funky Valentine posted:

The best faction in Alpha Centauri were the pirates and that was because there was no real pseudo-philosophical "teenagers first Political Science" quotes behind it. Just some dudes on the water making bank.

lol @ babby's first dismissal of philosophy just because it's presented in an approachable manner

The Sharmat posted:

All the factions in Alpha Centauri were ruled by horrible ideologues that went way too far and that was the point.

lol @ anyone who doesn't understand this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Panzeh posted:

I remember when I was testing Star Ruler 2 and a bunch of people complained about how boring it was and it was universally because they jacked up the planet count to 500 so you just spent three hours connecting dots where the game was tested and tuned for settings closer to 10-20 planets per player.

A lot of players are really loving stupid and go "HUGE MAP/MARATHON/MAX OUT EVERYTHING" because they think that's fun.

I mean, I do think that's fun, but I also appreciate that it's generally not the best balanced way to play a given game and there may be, for example, a slow start or long travel times between planets or whatever the poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Another Person posted:

France, who owns jack poo poo outside of three colonies and France itself is #2. USA, who has done literally nothing all game, is #3. GB is naturally #1.

I'm not even sure how to overtake any of them in terms of score, but outside of GB, I am pretty confident I could take any of them on in a fight. Especially if I called in my sphere allies, the Netherlands, Italy and Persia. It seems Prussia has stalled and the NGF will never form. Austria is on the decline too. Russia has lost GP status. This game is so weird, somehow Bavaria is a GP. 7th, at that.

Now that I have colonised the hell out of Africa, what should I be looking to do? I am kind of at a loss at where to go next.

That's USA's best strategy, honestly. Stay out of stupid European bullshit while building up their population and industry.

Take the rest of Africa. Every last grain of sand from Cape Town to the Suez must be united under glorious progressive republic of Scandinavia!

Alternatively work on Southeast Asia. Or even try to secure freedom for India, that'd be a project that takes your remaining 60 years I bet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

VerdantSquire posted:

According to the screenshot, Human Ethics are xenophile and extreme individualist. Did the ancaps win in Stellaris's version of Humanity? :ohdear:

Xenophile? XENOPHILE?

We'll see about THAT in the name of the Emperor!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Demiurge4 posted:

Not gonna lie, I just discovered you can play as a fungoid in Stellaris and now I'm abandoning my plans for a militaristic humanity and going with these dudes:

Spiritual collectivists?

You'd need to mod in a special ending for if you actually manage to convert all the Non and Void into Juffo-Wup though.

I just want a space game where the Orz arrive and are exactly as incomprehensible as the Orz.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The UK had contingencies in place to secure the tea supply during and after WW3, including if it went nuclear. Not that they'd have worked but you know. Also all our tanks are equipped with a BV to make a brew. :3:

So it would be 100% reasonable if shortages in supplies like tea, coffee, and beer, caused massive morale and stability problems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

All these posts saying simplification is good and grogs are bad are very Triggering to me, please stop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I guess I'm just not good enough for Johan-senpei :nyoron:

I guess I should maybe have actually applied for the beta too, if I actually wanted in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Riso posted:

I don't think I've seen you post in the grog thread yet.

You just replied to a post? :confused:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Riso posted:

Oh you silly goose, you are not posting in the grog thread. This is the grog thread.

I know, I was just messing around :p I'm not actually into real grog games that much, not because I don't like them, but because I've got SO loving many games to play that I have a hard time justifying the time to learn something truly spergy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Sharmat posted:

It's exactly the same just wordier.

Nah, one is a reasonable concern about how to balance playability and verisimilitude (not I do not say "realism"). The other is a bunch of goons.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The way I play it, it's a bit more like Hitman.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mans posted:

lol you can already smell the cold war dlc from here

Well we always knew it would be coming since Paradox scotched EvW :tinfoil:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kavak posted:

The HoI IV AI may be too smart for its own good- I think it was Podcat that said he had to apply obscene modifiers to the Japanese AI to make it think attacking the US was a winnable and good idea.

Hahaha that's amazing. Just something that assesses it's own strength at like, 500% or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dibujante posted:

Just break the Japanese AI such that every time it loses a unit, it adds to their internal army strength estimate instead of subtracting from it. Voila, a perfect simulation of Japanese strategic thinking in WW2.

:lol:

Of course you'd really need more than one Japanese AI; if the navy is ascendant and in control they should have a slightly more realistic assessment of the world. The army should not. Your idea is one I like. Also count garrison and militia units as being as powerful as nukes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gort posted:

The number of divisions isn't all that matters, either, given that mobility doctrine troops are 50% better than everyone else for half the game.

And of course, you can't see division strength, so on paper the enemy might have a million men but depending on circumstances that could be depleted to, say, 600,000.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baronjutter posted:

Also a technology for colonizing RING WORLDS.

All I wanted to hear :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's a Paradox game so I'm hype anyway but Space loving 4X games are my goddamn crack cocaine so if an actual good one comes out then uhhh :rip: any other games I want to play, or things I want to do in life.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Sharmat posted:

You mean whatever faction is shockingly incompetent in AI hands yet somehow simultaneously shockingly overpowered in human hands in multiplayer; or are you just one of many who think every game would be improved with parasitic Catholic space weasels?

Now let's be fair, who among us does not fall into that latter camp? :catholic: :stoat:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yesssss this is so good :allears:

Also they wargamed it with some high-ups who had served in WW2, in both the British and German forces, a couple of decades back, and the conclusion was that it was possible Germany could have made landings in England (by no means certain, but not completely inconceivable either), but the land defenses were sufficient that they wouldn't get very far, the RN would cut them off from supply or evacuation, and we'd have to find something to do with all these krauts we just captured.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thank you Rincewind :allears: I couldn't remember what the actual event was called and hurp durp never thought to just try the thing's own drat name with "wargame" on it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Randarkman posted:

Did the Germans ever seriously consider Sea Lion? From what I've read it seems that they believed that defeating the Soviet Union and establishing mastery over continetal Europe would be enough to make the British sue for peace.

They weren't really sure when the UK would sue for peace and they kept changing their expectations when we, well, didn't sue for peace. Hitler originally hoped we might not honor our agreement with Poland, then assumed we'd bail once we saw how quickly the Low Countries and France fell, then thought we would sue if we lost the air war, (hence the Battle of Britain) then they thought terror bombing might do it, and they were lining up an invasion as a last resort. They were actually getting started on the barges they would use to cross the Channel, before either someone managed to convince Hitler that it was a terrible and insane idea, or he changed his own mind on it. Most of the high command knew it was stupid af (including Raeder and Goering, who were the two guys whom responsibility for Operation Sea Lion rested) but there were enough Nazis crazy enough to believe it could work that at least some serious work was done in planning and preparation, yeah.

The idea that after beating the reds Britain would sue for peace was a development of their ongoing shifting of "how do we make these assholes stop fighting us, mein gott?" and had finally settled on the belief that with a fait accompli of a Nazi Europe we'd see there wasn't much point in carrying on and talk terms.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

Personally, I like that they're not whitewashing it or playing it coyly by calling it "Planetary Bombardment" or "Expel the Natives" or whatever. It's just a plain straight-up "genocide" button.

It will only make me more ready to press the button, too. Because you're god drat right I'm going to purge the filthy xenos from my galaxy. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My grandad was a NATO counter

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pimpmust posted:

awful-looking Independence Day sequel trailer

no

i will fight you for jeff goldblum's honor

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dibujante posted:

Weren't the Liir uplifted though? With sufficiently advanced technology you could buffer yourself from this effect, but you'd never be able to develop that technology to begin with due to this effect.

What if you evolved in the volcanic conditions? I mean extremophiles are a thing that exist and it seems a little premature to suggest that we know the conditions under which intelligent life and society can evolve. Maybe after we've explored some of the galaxy IRL we can start with such pronouncements.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even think I want to go back to V2 but the patch news just makes me feel all warm and fussy. Paradox is a good game company filled with good ok people

Yeah they're one of the handful of companies that really does care, or at least provides a convincing approximation of caring. I've not played much V2 in awhile so it'll be neat to go back to it with a few last improvements and tweaks :unsmith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Groogy posted:

Well you gotta be a bit drunk to work in clausewitz 1 code...

I fondly remember the tale of Wiz announcing he was gonna fix the Vicky 2 economy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A button to upgrade every railroad/port/fort in your empire would be incredibly useful. Like the one that lets you upgrade all your factories.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

8bitlawd posted:

Just in case you don't know, but shift key helps with this somewhat. It doesn't do it nationwide but it'll upgrade every railroad/fort in the selected state. But yeah I agree a nationwide button would make life a breeze.

Yeah shift is very useful, but when you're in charge of say, Russia, or the USA, nationwide would make a world of difference.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

This is excellent stuff and I am only growing more hype.

(this may be because in my scifi novel the fact of people changing themselves to fit a planet rather than terraforming the planet played a minor role)

(more likely because I can't wait to uplift ALL THE MUSHROOMS)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Another Person posted:

You should've added a bunch of war demands against yourself to see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9qZ4Zs6Ys

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Crash74 posted:

Will astroids be able to capture your admirals?

Yes, but you can break free by giving the asteroid a quick tumble!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there some sort of guideline to what a good industrial score is at a given stage in the game? It's 1870 and I'm in 6th place industrially as USA. I feel like I screwed something up because I kind of changed tacks mid-playthrough. Or is USA just a late-bloomer?

You're fine. It's no big deal to be where you are, especially if Europe has avoided major wars and/or someone like the NGF/Germany has formed and/or the Civil War was particularly long. USA are indeed a bit of a late bloomer, and you are going to loving rocket up there once the 20th century rolls around, because several things - most notably population - will reach tipping points in your favor. Only the UK will reliably be better off than you; a unified, modernised China has a shot if that happened early enough, and if France, Germany, or Russia does particularly well they can also rival you, but it's probably 4 games in 5 the US will end up in the top two slots even if they stay totally to their own hemisphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We need codec calls. I want to discuss movies with Hitler.

Hitler turns out to be Decoy Octopus, but Decoy Octopus was actually a clone of Naked Hitler, who was a disciple of Kaz Goebbels, himself an opposite-sex clone of Leni "Boss" Reifenstahl, in disguise after the original Kaz Goebbels died, only it turns out that Goring was an insane AI the whole time.